Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atomic Heart

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

initial impressions are the game is stunning ,love how weird the world is . Some of the dialogue a bit concerning and feeding into the narrative that it's russian propaganda to a degree . One conversation i heard with a npc was basically like how happy everyone is living in china are and they are our great allies . now i know game world isn't real world but it made me feel a bit uncomfortable 😅

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My god the main character is annoying in this. Like, borderline game-ruining annoying. The ‘horny shop bot’ isn’t any better. A 12 year old boy’s idea of ‘edgy and cool’ writing. Embarrassing stuff.

Tried switching the dialogue to Russian to see if that made it easier but the game is throwing so much audio and video stimulation at you anyway it’s hard to keep up with the subtitles.

The game looks and runs great on PC, although sorta bizarre a game long-since advertised as a ray tracing showcase doesn’t have RT enabled at launch - some dodgy screen space reflections definitely stood out. The first combat encounters feel a bit janky and it has that awful Bioshock vibe of ‘collect every bit of **** you find in random drawers’. I’ve only unlocked the first powers so will try them out tomorrow, but my god that obnoxious main character is already tempting me to hit uninstall!

Ya he is painful . no option to change to russian dialogue on console . You finding game kinda hard ? I am , at start anyways . First couple of hours is an mis mash of games and i'm not sure will i end up liking or hating it !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Russian audio option is only available in the main menu for me on PC anyway, can't be changed on the fly through the in-game menu.

I think the Russian audio is much more befitting the game and setting, but there's something about the way the game presents in-game text, dialogue subtitles and audio (all often overlapping) that made it seem somewhat overwhelming on a first attempt... sort of like watching a bad anime fan sub. I say that as someone who plays any Japanese game with an original language option in Japanese. I'll try it again though as the Russian audio didn't seem great as grating... still not great though :P

The gunplay did seem pretty bullet-sponge-based in the first few encounters (on standard difficulty), and I don't like the way it implements its dodge mechanic. But given the opening is a good 45 mins I didn't get that much time to try combat. I did see some people suggest the game is more fun on easy, as the shooting isn't really very good so it makes it easier to just appreciate the gameworld.

Ok So i played this for two more hours this eve . Seen some people switching it to easy takes away a lot the frustration and it defo has ! Enjoying it a lot more now . I just got ' outside '.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Wait, wait, wait... I thought switching games to/playing on easy was gaming taboo... Can we have an easy mode for the Soulsborne games so it can make it easier to appreciate the gameworld? :pac:

Also, main character, worse than Frey? I had initial interest in this game, and now that it's out I've no interest in it for some reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

As I've gotten older and had kids I've learned to love easy mode, who's got time ( or energy) for not progressing in a game 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jobrien874ie

Is this game worth playing at the moment? seen its on Xbox PC Game Pass and considering whether its worth sinking time into

If you REALLY like Bioshock-style games or REALLY like the setting / aesthetics, then yes give it a go. There are some interesting presentational ideas here, and it’s certainly a different perspective on shooter ideas. But the game is poorly designed in a lot of ways and straight-up obnoxious in others.

Personally, I’d say go play Hi-Fi Rush instead if you haven’t already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 jobrien874ie

Cheers dude @johnny_ultimate - yeah I've heard a lot of praise for Hi-Fi Rush - gonna give it a look :)

I nearly stopped playing once or twice due to some frustrations . The driving was ridiculous tip off something twice and car was blowing up . Some frustrations over finding my way in levels too and the dialogue etc . But over all it's a good game and I am glad I finished it . Potential of a greet game if they ever get make sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just bet the first main boss, finding it hard to motivate myself to continue if im honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A YouTube channel I quite like did a little dive into why this game failed to truly ape the game(s) it was so blatantly reaching for. By all accounts it involves aspects people have already mentioned when it comes to the synergies of its combat - or lack thereof?

Advertisement