Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Mick Wallace and Clare Daly Irelands greatest shame?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

One man's freedom fighter (the US coming to protect impoverished little countries out of the goodness of its heart) is another man's terrorist.

Reality: no big power will let another big power set up camp in its back yard. Ask Cuba.

Russia is as entitled to act now as the US was then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,984 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Russia is not entitled to invade Ukraine.

Pointing to another invasion that took place decades or more ago doesn't validate it in any way shape or form. This is the type of whatboutery that Wallace and his ilk engage in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Economics101

@antiskeptic: you say: "A Nato move for Ukraine, he said, represented a red line for Russia. This after constant encroachment towards Russia by Nato following the breaking of a US promise to Gorbachov not to move so much as an inch eastwards.

White man still speak with forked tongue.

Russia gave no one reason to fear for their lives in the East. Sure, they swatted Georgia when Nato threatened entry via that channel bit hey, let's remember Cuba, huh?".

Was there a promise to Gorbachev not to expand NATO? No, but there was a promise not to deploy non-German NATO forces in the former GDR - a totally different matter. This and related points can easily be confirmed: for example see: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2014/11/06/did-nato-promise-not-to-enlarge-gorbachev-says-no/

I remember Cuba allright it was a bit like NATO installing nuclear-armed ballistic missiles in Finland, only about 100 miles from Petersburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Nearly as bad as MM and Leo the langer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Yes the US has lots of bases everywhere but they react appallingly when the same happens to them, eg the Cuban missile crisis.

The west is in a proxy war with our Russian friends so they are fighting Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

One wonders (but not very much) if a coup has just happened in Muldova and if the US is behind it.

How do you expect the US to react when the USSR installed nuclear-capable ballistic missiles 100 miles from Florida? Just roll over and accept a huge increase in threat levels and vulnerability? As I said above, the analogy might be with Finland allowing IRBMs within 100 miles of Leningrad. How would you expect the USSR to react?

There actually WAS a promise not to advance NATO eastwards.

That promise only relates to the moral element though..since promises can be broken.

Ultimately, a big power can simply decide, for current reasons, that they don't want another big power on their doorstep. Its not a right and wrong thing or a legal thing. It's big power doing what big power does..

You might also look up 'no means no', William Burns, US ambassador.

That was a 2008 memo from the US ambassador to Russia warning his masters in the US that Ukraine was a redline. A warning from one big power to another. No means no.

The US pressed ahead ... and here we are.

Morally speaking I'm with Russia. The US is a demonstrable war mongering empire and anything that counters a war mongering empire is my friend.

Simples..

Post edited by antiskeptic on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,984 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The US is a demonstrable war mongering empire and anything against that is my friend. Simples..

This is exactly how Daly and Wallace think. Distilling countries down into "personalities" that are good or bad. Rishi Sunak, who's been UK PM for 18 minutes, is a hypocrite because Britain used to colonise nations. Biden can't criticise Russia because two decades prior someone from another party took a bad foreign policy decision. Germany can't stand against invasion because "Germany" invaded half of Europe.

It's the equivalent of someone who "hates" a football team and supports anyone who plays against it. It's that level of tribal stupidity.

You are interpreting that NSA document as meaning the effectively the former East Germany would be de-militarised. ("No NATO"). I don't think anyone expected that.

As for Ukraine being a red line, what do you think the annexation of Crimea and parts of the Donbas would cause? A scramble by Ukraine to seek whatever security it could from the West. Russia effectively pushed Ukraine into seeking NATO membership, just as it pushed Finland and Sweden more recently. These countries seek protection from a much bigger and not very friendly neighbour. The idea that they threaten to invade Russia is totally laughable: for a start their people would not stand for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Russia signed the NATO Russia Founding Act which allows sovereign European nations to decide their own security arrangements.

Russia also signed the Budapest Agreement with Ukraine as a sovereign nation.

Therefore Russia has recognised the right therefore of Poland Ukraine etc to join NATO.

So if you want to talk about broken promises - those signed treaties they trump and dwarf that.

But that was probably hypocritical faux concern about promises.

What Russia has done in Ukraine is imperial war mongering. It is a war of conquest and land grab. Textbook undeniable imperial war mongering.

If they are your friends... then you are on the side of warmongers and empire.

Anyone who is in favour of Russia is morally and intellectually bankrupt. Blinded by hatred of the US into siding with a country threatening nuclear war on Europe.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Certainly up the top

Your understanding of geography is as lacking as your understanding of history.

NATO was already in its back yard. Look at a map of the border of Russia and NATO countries.

The NATO Russia Founding Act was designed to avoid a Cuba situation and reduce risk of escalation from stationing of offensive weapons systems.

Russia freely signed it.

Russia is not entitled to act precisley because of that treaty.

That Russia has stripped its forces from NATO borders to fight in Ukraine shows it has no real fear of a NATO invasion. Proof positive it is a pack of lies used for propaganda purposes.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/09/28/russia-ukraine-war-nato-eastern-flank-military-kaliningrad-baltic-finland/

"Whataboutery" is a cool Internet discussion forum catchall.

It will go the way of once-popular phrases like 'intellectual dishonesty' and 'cognitive dissonance' (you'd have to be active in the 00's to remember them :) )

They too were escape hatches...

For those others, who are more rigorously inclined than seeking easy escape hatches..

The Law (and a lot of the discussion rests on things like law and morality) is built on the concept of Precedence. What is seen as right then, is seen as right forever..

And so, how the US responded back then is applicable now and forever. It was always so, long before and long after Cuba.

The US had pushed Russia ever since the collapse of the USSR. You can even see it on a map.

But they pushed just that bit too far and their opponent snapped back. Now, you could say the US wants this (perma war is their way - Heck, when they lose this war they'll say they need to build up the military for the threat that was bigger than even they imagined)

But whether a Ukraine loss suits them or not, there is little doubt the US stuck a stick into a snakes den.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I have noticed on both here and twitter that people who seem to propagate general disinformation and specifically Russian propaganda often have usernames that project an image that they are actually extremely sensible and logical. Basically any variations on:

• truth /truthseeker /truthfinder
    • logic
    • reality
    • scientific/science
    • Analysis / Questioning / Skeptical

I don't know if they are being aspirational or what but the irony of it always amuses me.

Precedence...

Russia had invaded countries of Europe including Ukraine how far back into history...

And Russia via the USSR occupied how many of them even more recently than Cuba.

So that means any country Russia has ever invaded or harmed or occupied has the perpetual right to do likewise.

I think we can quite easily see your understanding of law to be fundamentally wrong. Slavery was once viewed as natural and right. So by your argument it must ever be thus.

What a ridiculous argument, you contradict your own faux concerns in the same post.

A justification for 'Perma War' if ever there was one.

Ditto the US. The only thing to break the stalemate is to perhaps distinguish what happened in the 12th century with more recent history.

I've this game. It involves thinking of war where the major player was the US or Russia. You pick a war with the most deaths and work from there.

Want to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Who invaded Russia???

What gives Russia the right to invade another country?

If you mean me, I've been spouting Russian propaganda predominately in the Christian/Atheist forum for the last 10 years or so.

(Yeah...didn't think you'd really investigated this issue.. like scientifically)

• Advertisement

What do you say to the actual transcript of the discussion as cited from the US national archives. Me, I tend not to dismiss the words that fall from a person's lips.

Speaking of: a Mod on another forum said that 'no air' would be given to the view of anyone who took a contra pro-ukrainian view. He then banned me for trolling.

I take the words that fell from his lips rather than the device he opted for in banning me

Words matter. If not an inch eastwards then all the Harvard spinmeistering matters not a jot.

It is obvious this is just a game to you alright and the fate of Ukrainians means nothing to you.

You are unable to engage seriously when actual treaties such as the NATO Russia Founding Act or Budapest Agreement - treaties designed to deescalate risk of nuclear war - are mentioned. The most directly relevant treaties to the current situation.

Instead you want to indulge these in these whataboutery games as intellectual excercises.

The lack of foundation and seriousness to your argument is clear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

When can we expect the next Russian invasion of Finland?

I'll enquire into your claims re treaties signed. Its often complicated - but worth a look. I know folk who'd be able to dig into it

But just let's say the US drove a coup in Ukraine in 2014 (which I presume is post-this treaty signed with Russia)

Would you THEN consider the arrangement to be with a sovereign Ukrainian government (I.e one free to make independent decisions).

Like a US led coup government in Ukraine would sorta rip up any treaty. No?

[Before you answer: I'd ask that you include the audio evidence of Victoria Nuland discussing picking the next Ukrainian president/PM post-coup... in your musings. Along with her remark "**** the EU" (if they took exception to the US view of things...)]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Considering your claim that the united states' apparently promised Gorbachev that it would refuse entry into NATO of the terrified and traumatized countries in proximity to Russia desperate for protection, it is surprising that Gorbachev himself can't recall it. No doubt you know better.

Gorbachev:

“The topic of ‘NATO expansion’ was not discussed at all, and it wasn’t brought up in those years. … Another issue we brought up was discussed: making sure that NATO’s military structures would not advance and that additional armed forces would not be deployed on the territory of the then-GDR after German reunification. Baker’s statement was made in that context… Everything that could have been and needed to be done to solidify that political obligation was done. And fulfilled.”

Gorbachev continued that “The agreement on a final settlement with Germany said that no new military structures would be created in the eastern part of the country; no additional troops would be deployed; no weapons of mass destruction would be placed there. It has been obeyed all these years.” 

No. Russia violated Budapest by putting Ukraine under economic pressure not to sign EU treaty... effectively a customs blockade was threatened. This was a violation of Ukraines sovereignty and ability to make independent decisions.

Ultimately this put the Ukrainian president into a position violating his mandate and opposed to parliament and people. There was no US coup. The US could not drive what wasnt there. The Ukrainian people drove it.

The US did not pick the president or PM. They helped broker the deal to end the standoff between president, parliament and people.

Ukraine has had free democratic elections since that Maidan revolution.

If your 'people' cant see sometimes it isnt complicated you need better 'people'. Russia is wrong in its motives which are to plunder Ukraine, in the act of invading and in how it has carried out this war with atrocity, deliberate targeting of civilians, executions, abductions of children, and indiscriminate use of heavy weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,612 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Morally speaking I'm with Russia

Big fan of the virtuous raping and torture?

If you stand with Russia morally speaking then you stand for Bucha.

This was not an aberration but would have been repeated across Ukraine if Russia had subjugated it. Roundups and executions.

This is what Daly and Wallace and those of like minds here stand for if they stand for Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,612 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How do you feel about them smashing the skulls of the erstwhile comrades with sledgehammers?

Is it still ok to do the oul murdering if they are murdering other Russians?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement