Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Professor of Russian Literature who doesn't like Russia and/or Russian people being "degraded". Hardly surprising he might disagree; no?

Also somewhat bizarre people are objecting to calling soldiers of an invading and occupying army nasty names: the same invading army which it is widely believed (recently unequivocally stated by the US) to be committing systematic crimes against humanity in Ukraine.

Calling every Russian an orc or whatever else is a little bit less savoury I suppose but when I think about the suffering being visited upon Ukraine I find it hard to dredge up much outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭eire4

Says it all about who these Russian people are that they would do that to a Holocaust memorial. Disgusting. I hope the Latvians find out who did it and deport them back to Russia since they love their authoritarian dictatorship so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Yes, the protesting, campaigning, arranging housing for Ukrainians who we are friends with today. All a fad because she hasn't recorded an RTÉ documentary. You do make it easy.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That's all I need to hear. Anyone who boxes an entire nation are dangerous minds.

• Advertisement

So if you don't support Putin, you're a coward? The mask is slipping fast great Gatling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Like I say long live Ukraine and its people and to hell with Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Honestly we have no idea of what game is genuinely being played behind the scenes with regard Ukraine/US/Nato.

Ukraine will have access to high-level Intel far exceeding Russia capabilities. They will know where they are, what they have and don't have, where thrusts and build ups are coming from, logistical information and weaknesses, and be advised as to what are smart and poor strategies, regardless of what's officially being said.

This is a war of a drastically smaller army backed by 21st century tech, in all aspects of the word, hammering and holding back a far bigger army with 20th century tech.

It's not entirely dissimilar to Israel beating the brakes off several invading countries at once for the same reasons. In the modern day, 1970's era tech, poor training/doctrine and whatever is always going to have an extremely difficult, if not impossible, task against a foe using/utilizing cutting-edge tech.

Let's be real, the Russian armed forces have utterly embarrassed themselves. A ground force that has lost half of its serviceable tank fleet, a massive air-force that can't establish air superiority over a drastically smaller foe, zero evidence of any ability whatsoever to lead combined arms operations, almost zero ability for effective tactical strikes using missiles, etc.

It's basically a mongol horde at this stage. It has nothing in the way of advanced modern weaponry, a professional core, or a professional leadership and is simply reliant on brute force. Which can work....to a point. As we did see.

But when that point tips over....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm sure the Ukrainians will be grateful for realdanbreens keyboard contributions, I'll let some of them know. They could do with the laugh.

• Advertisement

Ah come on, he’s more than just a professor in fairness. He penned an open letter to the Soviet regime saying he didn’t want to live under Communism anymore. Makes him one of the good guys in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I've always said it ,.I don't need a mask

I don't need a makey up story for sympathy either

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Nail on the head there.

He’s whole story comes across as so contrived.

Me thinks the lady doth protests too much!

So even Russians who run anti-Putin websites like Meduza (now based in Riga having being forced out of Russia) are cowards as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Bitcoin

Never again. NEVER AGAIN.

You are correct.

Tsarist Russia and the Soviet Union always projected power and looked formidable.

Right up until the moment the two regime's disintegrated.

The West are going to be very caught off-guard when the putler regime collapses.

No one will have predicted it, the talking heads will proclaim it as unprecedented. In reality, it was an inevitability and one or two reading this will remember my words.

Best post I’ve read in this thread in quite a while IMO. Uncomfortable reading maybe for those regular posters here, but true nonetheless. Truth is the majority of the populations of the West don’t care about Ukraine beyond what they see on the 6 o clock news. With one breath they’ll say “Putin’s an absolute b**t**d, something should be done about him”, the next they are wondering what’s for dinner. They might have good intentions, but thats where it stops. As Wibbs says, heroes and revolution starters are an incredibly rare thing.

Yep, 100%.

putler acts in their name. He is their strong man and they worship him like the Tsar's of old.

Ordinary Russians are farm animals that are being led to slaughter. The tragedy is that they don't realise it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

What a virtuous person you are.

Now I get it, all those thousands of atrocities must have been carried out by a very few bad apples.

Oh wait

Mariupol getting hammered this evening. What joy.

"Mariupol explosions. Chronicles. 22:33 (Kyiv time) the first explosion occurred. A total of 12 explosions were heard. Two of them were definitely the result of the occupants' air defence. It was recorded in the area of the slag mountain on Makar Mazai street and in the fields behind Kurchatov street. A hit at the ammunition depot at Mariupol airport was confirmed with an excellent detonation response. A hit at the occupants' base at the Ilyich Steel Mill 300 (Kalmiusskiy district) has been recorded," Andryushchenko wrote.

According to his information, after the first explosions at 22:57, the occupants lifted planes into the sky. Around 23:00, the lights in the city centre disappeared, then light and communications disappeared near the Right Bank, and communications disappeared on the Left Bank from Azovstal to Solnechny market.

Also during the night, machine gun fire, the sound of signal rockets being launched and the movement of equipment could be heard in the city.

A total of 12 explosions occurred and there were two confirmed hits.

I’ve zero problem with the invaders being called Orcs, and those taking issue with this are virtue signalling in their own way.

On the other hand those underestimating how very difficult it is to go against a brutal dictatorship where male protestors are arrested and press ganged and female protesters are detained (and almost certainly being brutalised) are being too simplistic.

But, in comparison to the suffering of the Ukrainian people it’s mild, and a distraction. While I have sympathy for the ordinary Russian, they can’t really complain while their country as a whole have committed the worst acts of barbarism, including war crimes, on the continent of Europe since the Nazis.

So, the invading Russians can be called Orcs and worse, and they come from Putin’s Mordor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

And a pretty good 2c, too. Good points especially if you take into account the almost constant top-down situational awareness given to the Ukranians through AWACS and SIGNIT. Remember, most of Russias IL-96 AWACS allocated to the invasion are still sitting in Belarus, and their SIGNIT capacity is negligible.

I have a Question, and do excuse me.

Why. Are you the real Dan Breen? Is there another Dan Breen? If I was called Dan, and Breen, could I be real too? Or, are you keeping Dan real until another real Breen comes along.

HOoooOOOO....Are you famous!??

Lol.

Sorry....

Just don't get the whole "real" thing on twitter before a name.

I probably should have done the same.

Would it have mattered to my carreer?

Probably not.

Why are Russian ex-pats so quiet regarding the war. Is it time they were asked this question in countries around the world. Plenty of Russians loudly supporting the war. Little against.

Does fear of Putin have long arms?

Not going to happen. Logically, they will have zero effect on the overall war, given the variants that could hypothetically be supplied. F-16's are inherently unstable, being the very 1st fly-by-wire fighter jet, with an airframe that is so unforgiving that the ECU is constantly giving inputs to the control surfaces. It takes 6 months to a year to get to grips with it. ( basic flying, Pushing the Envelope, Western Systems, Weapons Systems, Radar work A to A, Radar work A to G, BVR fighting ( however, I doubt an Amraam will ever get to UKR), asymmetrical warfare CAP work, defensive flying, emergency drills etc etc)

Then we have another crew being trained for maintenance which will take Months.

Folks just don't realise whats involved here. A good, well-connected anti-aircraft missile system and coastal system is the way to go here, in every way.

The absolutely only way this will work would be by the Korean War method. Chinese pilots, in N.Korean uniforms, were flying " N.Korean" Mig's.

Here, we could paint up a few F-16 Block A's. ( who's Radar, by the way, would be inferior to the Su's) in Ukranian colours, stick poor Belgian pilots in Ukranian uniforms in them. Then fly a 3-ship CAP. 1 x two seater and two singles. Both armed with a to a and GBU's. The two seater goes high, for top-down overwatch and the other two go hunting. It's It's huge waste of resources and time, in my opinion. Better QRA battalions with fast, powerful Western assets would be better. The Russians cannot fight "shoot and scoot".

You know what, I wouldn't be surprised if A-10's show up instead. There are rumours that many Ukranian pilots have been training on them in the States. That would make much more sense. To me, anyway.

Just think of the damage just one could do....

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Loads of orcs from moscow/petersburg where I am they "don't want to talk about it" is there answer

Hope putin closes the border tomorrow.

They are awful sickening people full of altitude no shame

Post edited by dennis72 on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

For me, in my comfy chair, in a warm apt, tapping away on a keyboard, I can see why Orcs is bad. Russians are people. It's important to remember that. When i hear the nazi's being called monsters I have to disagree because they weren't monsters. They were people, like us, and it's important to remember that. It's important to remember that it's not a creature doing this, it's people making choices.

If however i was in Ukraine, with a foreign army invading, bombing my cities, killing my people, I think Orc would be a very mild thing to call them.

Speak of the devil....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 DrivingMrDaisy

Brilliant post this.

Every decent human being to a man or woman deplores what Russia is doing to Ukraine but to blame that on every single Russian is such a narrow viewpoint.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement