Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sure you're only gorgeous!

Have you had any preventative cap kits or the like done on any of them? Inviere was nice to do a capkit on my SNK cabinet ten years ago or so, I had my Pony chassis done then too. Both still look like new.

I've a spare new old stock LOPT for the Toei chassis in my SNK cabinet in case that ever goes, keeping an eye out for one for the Pony too.

I'd say down the line when things really start going hairy, there'll be some sort of universal chassis created by enthusiasts to keep monitors going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Universal CRT chassis already exist don't they? I saw a few floating around on AliExpress anyway when I was panicking about my own.

Master of the Universe

They do indeed but I think they're not very sophisticated or well made. I might be wrong though! Never tried one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

Piles of **** really them Ali specials

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭dav09

I've never experienced them but they're cheap and apparently not great but have been tempted to try with their price, apparently work better on pure flat monitors than curved, Intervideo or Hantarax or one of them also apparently used some of those ali express chassis apparently by default for some of their last monitors to be manufactured. I have a bunch of spare chassis, trying to calculate how many I am going to need for the amount of cabs I intend to keep but know I wont see some of these again which is the hard part. I think eventually someone will probably do a modular chassis to fit different pins, necks, scancoils, etc I think I seen a project discussing this before and it wouldn't be straight forward.

Post edited by dav09 on

• Advertisement

yeah seen a few discussions on it myself over the years but nothing ever came of it yet , the weiya chasis's where about as good as universal ones got and people had mixed feelings on them and not really totally universal ,I think the problem with the ali jobs outside of crappy components is they dont cover the range of inductance they claim and I vaguely remember I read somewhere that someone got one and it didn't /wouldn't fill the screen.* last bit here if very vague :😅 i'd be tempted to try one as a last resort.

i think best bet here is just to look after grant and make sure he either outlives us or our cabs !😂

Master of the Universe

Grant in 2150

Master of the Universe

Happy with how my SNK cabinet is looking and running now, so I've decided to turn my attention over to the Pony.

Put in an order this evening to bring it back to how it would have looked originally based on the flyer below with a white ball top red/white/black button configuration. Chucked in some new sticks too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Suppose we'll all just have to LCDs eventually.

Master of the Universe

• Advertisement

I actually have 3 monitors I need to get done 🫣

My latest purchase finally arrived to Ronnie, will be the first Wacca in Ireland over the next few weeks. Very cool game.

https://youtu.be/Kze57O5TBwY

*Meant to post on different thread but I suppose relevant here too. Anyone ever played it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Inviere

Very cool. Is this the latest craze in Japan arcades I was reading about? I'm definitely getting old, I can't keep up with the player in that video to even see what they're doing...

Yeah that's the highest level/speed lol, so difficulty and speed can usually be chosen before. I can do sorta 7/10 difficulties on the like of those games but the skill level gap that you need to even get to 9/10 is insane.

The likes of Wacca, Chunithm, Maimai DX, Taiko HD, Ongeki, Beatmania IIDX are really the latest in the rhythm crazy but a lot of them are based on earlier games.

This one is actually cool to play too, I'm really not a DDR fan but it was actually fun when playing.

https://youtu.be/3jv2K5A-dZ0

I seen this survey recently. It shows how many game centers have each rhythm games. Some of these game centers have 6, 8 or more of the same cab, so this image just looks at if there's at least one in the game center. If I'm understanding the image correctly then there's at least 2640 game centers left in Japan? If so that's crazy.

Master of the Universe

Arcade machine maintenance with cats in the room:

'Oh, a secret compartment for me to climb into?'

'Oh a progressively smaller and smaller space while you wheel the big thing back in against the wall?'

Got a nice bit of monitor calibration sorted last night, haven't really gone near the pots much since moving last year so it needed a bit of work.

Always hard to photograph but you can get a sense as to how vibrant the monitor looks. About ten years on from when Grantspain did a chassis service.

New sticks and buttons arrived in the post today so that'll be a bit of fun giving it a visual overhaul this evening.

Master of the Universe

And done! Amazing how much a button colour change changes up a machine. Kind of like sticking a new strap on a watch.

Lovely clean 80s vibe to it now.

The red Taito bucket now suits it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

After writing a big long post and adding lots of pictures, everything got deleted. Nice.

Quicker shattier version. Pony looks good, don't turn into a bronie.

Newer arcade releases and what i thought.

4d dark escape, blinds you with puffs of air, okayish gameplay.

Sega Transformers sequel, like the films its hard to see what's going on. But decent.

Dancerush stardom, yeah very good. Evolution of dance dance revolution with crazy new dance pad.

Tomb raider, okay.

Walking dead, okay.

Jurassic Park, pants.

Pirates, pretty good.

Konami dj, very good.

House of the dead scarlet Dawn, excellent. Best new arcade game I've played in years.

Great stuff. I have to agree with everything you said there although never played two of the above. Not sure which arcade you visited but great they have that stuff. But yeah HOTD5 AND Dark Escape feel sorta similar with the puffs of air and a similar style but miles apart in quality. Dancerush is amazing, I absolutely hate DDR personally just could never get the hang of it but this game is a different level, as is the new Stepmania.

But yeah I found Scarlett Dawn amazing but it depends what difficulty they set the cabinet and what rom is in it (the Japanese and UK roms are like two completely separate roms).

Another new(ish) game this reminded me of that I played recently is called Sega Golden Gun. Developed by the same Sega China studio as HOTD4, amazing gameplay and recycles the assets/engine from HOTD4, really impressed with it, not sure if there was ever any in Ireland.

Never played golden gun but I've seen it. Speaking of gun games Crypt Killer was a favourite of mine, blocky graphics but great fun, especially on 3 player.

A few other pictures from that arcade just for curiosity

Master of the Universe

Did you try out that Shooting Hero in the first picture? I'd say that's great fun with six people.

• Advertisement

Yeah that was fairly good, fast paced. The guns were modelled on being realistic ww2 guns in some way, lots of kickback.

It might not look it but the screen was massive.

Master of the Universe

Outrun 2 Deluxe for sale in Ireland on Ebay.

Not cheap at 3k but still seems like a lot of bang for your buck with the sheer size and greatness of the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Might of interest to those watching the Last of Us tv review and the arcade episode

Master of the Universe

Had a flurry of energy last night so decided to move my two machines out of the living room and into the spare room.

Great thing about that is they've now been reunited! (They were previously at opposite ends of a couch)

Should be a nice little gaming nook once I get it all set up.

Master of the Universe

Well here's something that worked a lot better than I thought it would.

Only have two cabinets with bugger all space but want that Game Centre feeling?

Full length mirrors! Two cabs instantly becomes a mini arcade.

Okay so it's a bit ridiculous but with everything on and lights flashing it seriously does feel like the space is twice the size with four machines. It's a bit freaky to be honest!

Car showrooms always do that haha and I do it myself for a display in work. Looks great dude

Master of the Universe

Found a site selling replacement Jaleco Pony control panel player 1 and player 2 stickers. First time I've seen them for sale anywhere and is probably one of the more expensive stickers I've bought...

Nooooo!!! The website said it's for a Pony 28 but it looks exactly the same. Didn't account for a bigger distance between the buttons.

Did a bit of hacking and got it to fit.

Not 100% happy as there's a cut line down the middle of it but it'll do for now.

I think I'll get in touch with the guy who sells them as a bit of a heads up that with a minor adjustment he could be selling these for arguably the more popular Pony cabinet.

Maybe its the lighting but the cp looks manky ? :P you also seem to have a bit of lift and signs of rust underneath id treat that

Master of the Universe

Haha! Yeah I was thinking that when I saw it, it's 100% the flash showing up the wear and discoloration on the CP, doesn't actually look like that in reality.

• Advertisement

yeah thought so as its never looked bad in any other pics 😁

Advertisement