Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The quarry buyer likes playing the big fella spending someone else’s money and look at me I won’t be bet when bidding, how them cattle make money is hard to figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

There's a few of them arseholes in every mart in the country some of them in our mart don't even own a garden never mind a farm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭MfMan

I heard one well-known dealer stepped in with a loan to get things moving again. Be some feat if locals raised that sum on their own.

Anyway, any price updates for the coming week?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Factories are trying to pull prices. Apparently beef has become too expensive and they're having difficulty selling it 🤔

Once I heard about the drop in milk price I assumed the factories would try the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

Foyle meats pulled 10 cents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Is it a ploy to get cattle? Killed a few today in a local factory and the place was very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Its a stall tactic on price rises. Played a blinder with so called backing up cattle since the short week at the start of the month. There is an increased kill so far this year when numbers were predicted to be tight in the 1st and 2nd quarters. The pinch in numbers has to come soon

In the US beef price is at an all time high, so this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The FR/FRx and suckler cull cows must be run out at this stage and they were propping the kill for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

On our farm this last few years decent continental heifers always go more at the mart that what we would have got in the factory. Last Saturday week 10 continental heifers sent to Dowra, between 560-595 kg averaging €1800, cant see any factory paying that.

As for Friesian bullocks, Id say factory and mart would be six a one half dozen of the other.

Post edited by Jonnyc135 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@Jonnyc135 you had two things in your favor with your heifers, 1 they were obviously good quality animals and secondly Dowra would have plenty of Northern buyers, that nearly always guarantees top prices for quality cattle.

But you are correct good quality cattle nearly always make as much in the mart as they do in the factory and removes the risk of not killing out as expected. I know a few lads have been disappointed with the weights some of their cattle killed out this spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Early last June was one of the few time I saw Friesian make more in the mart, last August/early September 20 monthe old Friesian's with flesh @490-520 kgs LW were making a tad more as well however in general they do not.

A couple of weeks ago I had a few Friesian bullocks 33-34 months old. Rang an agent had not dealt with in years. He was selling everything through the mart. He told me that these Friesian were making 2-2.1/ kg in the mart. They hung nearly 390 DW which was 790 fresh weight or about 750 mart weight. They averaged 1900 euro. I have not seen Friesian's making 2.5/ kg in the marts which is just a little less than the equivalent factory price at preset

On your heifers at 580 mart average they would be 610 fresh weight or about 335 kgs DW. 1800 is a overall factory price of 5.37/ kg. Allowing for QA and a sprinkling of R+'s it's a base of 5.15.

Last week a base of 5.35 was available. If the heifers were single movement cattle they would also have qualified for the advantage payment from ABP a scheme which you can register for.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭kk.man

I know of 5.75 flat got for mainly aa/HE bullocks about 10 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

If you’re non QA’d then you just about matched the factory price.

If you’re QA’d you’ve left €100-€150 per head behind you.

I’m assuming they’re good quality R+/U grade heifers. These would be expected to kill 56-58% of their yard weight which would translate to 58-60%+ of mart weight.

Taking the middle of your weights as average, so 575kg. Killing out at 58% would be 333kgs. At a base price of €5.30 plus €0.20 qa plus €0.06 for an R+ gives €5.56 per kg. €5.56 x 333kgs is €1,854 factory price.

Realistically the man buying them, if they’re good quality, will be working out his figures at 60% killout.

575kgs x 60% = 345kgs dead.

345 x €5.56 = €1918 for an R+

345 x €5.62 = €1939 for a U-.

These were not finished animals KO would not be near that , they needed probably another few months on intensive meal to get a KO like that.

Dowra doing extremely well lately, by far the best mart around my country for selling, lot of English buyers there too in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

is it hard to see continental heifers being U or even R grade at that weight?

on a related noted I sold a LM store heifer 15 December. 630 kg, big tall long heifer. She was “warm” and stylish but would have taken plenty more flesh. Made 1860 I think so very good money mid December, top price in the mart on the day. Things kicked along a lot since then. Very much a store heifer in my mind. Would have been a serious animal by July from grass.

Looking at herdplus app, as I still own her mother I can see all her progeny data and I can see she has been killed. Not the greatest grade or kill…..assume error…..

One above her at 39 month was a heifer that was a little wild and had **** all milk. And above that a bull we sold at 15 months old or so. All our cows offspring typically grade U when killed so this one stands out 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Robson99

You cant compare what they would have made in the Factory when they were only forward stores. Why would anyone want to kill contenintal cattle at 575 kgs ave unless they were small buts. Forward stores will never make as much in the factory as they will in the mart

To be fair that's true, but to put the meal and silage into them at its current price of 440/ton as to what we got in the mart it was a better to sell them at the mart now and let some other fella bring them to finishing at 650-680 kg. IMO it paid and suited our system to let them off at the mart now.

Larrys grading machine defiantly burned someone there, seems like a crazy error

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Interesting. I wonder if she got injured or something and had to be factoried immediately for a loss.

• Advertisement

@893bet none of that with your heifer adds up, if she was 630 kgs the day you sold her, you would expect her to kill out a lot nearer to 360 kgs than 260 kgs. With her brother and sister both grading U then its very hard to see how she could have graded a P.

She was clearly a fairly good heifer weighing 630 kgs and making €1,830 (€2.90 / Kg) back in December

There has to be some story here somewhere, there is either an error in the entry to the system or someone was a some form of messing.

Fair enough although you were the one who compared them to factory price which would lead people to assume they were near finished.

Over the next 70-80 days they’ll probably get half a ton each of a simple high maize ration so around €220. They’ll only eat a little over a bale of silage each so say €45. Minerals and a dose another €10. Haulage and fees €30. Add whatever you estimate overheads then, €50 per head maybe? That’s comes to €355 costs and I’d be expecting them to be 680-700 kgs.

They’ll kill 400kgs then. Base price is expected to have risen by then but even keep it the same as todays and say they’re all into U grades by then you’ve a factory price of €5.62.

400 x €5.62 = €2,248.

A 10 cent rise in base price and get them into U= and you’re at 400kgs x €5.78 = €2,312.

So the man that bought them will still be hoping to make €100-€150 per head off them.

He’s be no millionaire at it and deserves every penny of it if you ask me but had you kept them and done the same thing that money would be in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The DW at 261 kgs at 26 months suggests an very underfinished animal unless she lost weight she killed 40%. However 3- FS suggests a level of finish I would have expected to be at least an O grade.

I suspect some lad messing with tags

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭kk.man

Those 'agents' in the mart operate off thin margins most of the time unless they pole each other.

I'd say that was an input error on the system.

They prefer plain cattle as there is a better margin. A lot more completion for fancy types.

First thing that came to my mind too. I’d imagine there’s an old cow after being killed as a heifer somewhere and there’s a heifer in calf now that’s a lot older on paper than reality.

Exactly. It’s a high input low margin game. And that’s exactly the reason they have to be on top of their game which means 99.9% of the time they don’t give more in the mart than the factory price.

I would guess there was some messing like that too, but its hard to know what.

When you are straight in what you do, it can be hard to guess what lads that aren't that way inclined would be up to.

Any thoughts on the effect of the Chinese ban on Brazilian beef will have here?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

I was thinking of it myself yesterday. Could be negative for us as Brazil will be giving beef to any other market for a discount, that's including the EU and UK. We'll get a tiny bump from increased Chinese demand but could be bad for our most important outlets.

• Advertisement

This is true. I think the Brazilian beef only costs a fraction of ours also. More likely a negative effect than positive.

Advertisement