Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charging Battery at night rate

• 21-01-2023 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I have a 5kw Pure Drive battery attached to my solar kit. Wondering if anyone out there is charging the battery off the mains at the night rate. 5kw at night rate is almost a quarter the price than day rate. Is this possible and then to time when you want it to use the power ie after 8am ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes we all do. Night rate for me is 7.9c / kWh and day rate is 28c / kWh, so I load up my 30kWh battery fully at night. I use virtually no peak rate electricity during any time of the year. I use the battery also to partially heat my house with electricity during the day because it is cheaper and cleaner than using gas

The night rate hours are 11PM to 8AM in winter and 12PM to 9AM in summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Cheers, I need to set this up. 30kw Battery is a big boy. What type is it ?

I have a Pure Drive and need to figure out the steps. Im sure Google is your friend 😉

30kWh 😉

Will be 45kWh before the end of next month

@alan kelly - "I have a Pure Drive and need to figure out the steps"

You set it in your inverter typically. What hybrid inverter do you have? If it's a Solis or a Sofar ME3000SP, they have their own dedicated threads in this forum. Have a look there first.

Thanks , Its a Solis. Ill look through the thread... Jesus 45kwh , Are you purchasing and installing yourself ?

Yes, 40kWh in CALB 200Ah cells is a bit over €5k. Not an awful lot more than some people pay for fancy looking pre-made 5kWh batteries 😁

• Advertisement

Cool. Sounds too good to be true😉 but I’ll check it out 👌

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

This video will guide you through the steps on a Solis inverter to charge your battery from grid.

LOL, why do you think it sounds too good to be true? It's very simple really. You charge up with super cheap night rate (which is also mostly from zero emissions, renewable wind energy) and you use it when electricity is very expensive

Most people with a battery also have solar PV, so you load up your battery when the sun shines during the day and you can't use all that free electricity, and then your battery powers your home at night.

I’ll prob ping you with a few questions once I’ve done a bit of digging 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Would you have a need for 45kWh? Seems like quite a lot

• Advertisement

The 5kWh on top is a little bonus / backup. Don't need it. And as for the "do I really need 40kWh?"

Well no, not strictly. But we are getting these batteries free of VAT at a good price, so they will keep their value very well. So basically even if you use them for a year or two, there will be no depreciation, so no costs really. And the batteries will start earning their keep immediately. I try and heat as much of my home with electricity in winter. From night rate directly and from battery later in the day. And I have a very large solar PV setup, so in summer the buffer of 40kWh will keep my going without buying any electricity from the grid, even if we have a couple of rainy days in a row

And as an example, if I fully load 40kWh into the battery in winter, I save 40 * (day rate minus night rate) = 40 * (0.28 - 0.08) = €8. Now there are losses going in and out and some of it I use for heating, which I could have done with gas costing €0.15 per kWh. And if I go over a 2000 unit threshold, I pay more for my night rate. But a saving of €3 at least per day, which is €180 for each billing period. Let's say €1000 per year, meaning after 5 years the batteries, still worth at least half of what I paid for them by then, will have fully paid for themselves

So you see the question is not really do I need it, but how much money are they returning for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Excellent explanation thanks. I have a system ordered and awaiting installation but have yet to decide on batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭horse7

I,d. Love to know what energy supplier is giving you those rates?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Energia.

That plan is now 45ish /13.5 unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Still the best deal out there though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭yankinlk

--- meant ot post this in FIT --- argh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭horse7

Changed a little.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Jeez, 45c day rate! Haven't looked in ages, thankfully running around 1kWh a day on day rate on average

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Galego

Still the best deal out there, especially in PV forum as most posters should have a battery/ies to minimse or eliminate day usage. It's the night rate that matters. On my last 2 month bill i had about 40kWh of day units and just under 1800 night units (at 7c !)

• Advertisement

Aye, but there is a penalty to be paid if you go over 2000 night rate units per billing period. You seem to have avoided that, which quite surprises me with a big house, two EVs and loading up a 20kWh battery every night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭DC999

Wowwww, that is an amazing ratio of 1800 night to 40 day.

Yes but even the penalty rate isnt so bad, 15c or so. I'm not actively trying to avoid it anyway, especially since you only pay it on the units from 2,001 onwards and the first 2000 kWh remains at the 7c rate.

Indeed. But for me it's an important difference as with the losses of night rate going into the battery and then out again, the excess units are significantly more expensive than using gas. And I can entirely avoid them if I didn't heat my house partially with electricity.

Waiting 3 months on my Energia bill now, which doesn't help. I know I can take meter readings myself. But still...

98%

Most of us with a 20kWh or bigger battery can do that or thereabouts, almost without doing any micromanagement. Particularly if we have an inverter that can charge / discharge at at least 5kW

Unless we make a few mistakes like plugging in the car during the day, or we have battery outages because of maintenance, and stuff like that 😁

Yes I send in a meter reading on the first of every month. This is to avoid estimated bills.

just got the email for the meter read, 76 day, 2886 night. No gas or oil used. Night rate averages out to 9.97

I had a couple of automation failures (need to look into that) and a day or 2 where I had to charge the car during the day.

Sometimes the inverter doesnt like the crusher starting, so it slowly ramps of after an incident like that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭smax71

I had been thinking that a 10kwh battery would be good going! I'm looking to install a 5kwh dryness with a 6kw inverter with a view to installing a further 5kwh dryness in the near future, each costing in excess of €2.5k, so €5k for 10kwh ..big difference! I'm assuming that you need a decent bit of knowledge to install those CALB batteries DIY? I'm hopeless with electricity so would be reluctant to go down that route for a while. However wondering if possible to link those DIY batteries to a dryness in the future instead of adding another dryness or would you need a completely independent circuit (does that even make sense) for the DIY batteries?

The other issue I would have is space as I'm thinking of locating the inverter and dryness battery in the house to avoid having to cut drive and footpaths to route a cable into consumer board from a garage. However I'm assuming 30+ kWh of those CALB batteries would require a fair bit of space. Would it be possible to locate additional batteries in the garage and link to inverter with approx 12m of cable or should all batteries be adjacent to inverter? As you can gather a complete noob about all this stuff!

Have you guys got Solar also ?

I’d love to see a basic line diagram of how you have the additional batteries set up ?

• Advertisement

Yes, I have 8kWp of solar PV, a 6kW inverter and 20kWh of battery storage. 4*5kWh dyness batteries (for now, I'll be hopefully changing this later this year for more calb cell based storage).

It goes PV panels on the roof into the inverter, batteries connected to the inverter, then the inverter via the CT clamp uses the solar incoming (if any) to power the house. Else it pulls from the batteries. I charge the batteries overnight too, these days, but in the summer it's 100% off grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Rogtronic1

Hi all.

I have been getting some installation quotes and both so far have been very hesitant to recommend batteries. Part of my reasoning for getting solar installed was the added bonus of getting a battery and switching to a day/night tariff for load shifting. I'm not sure what my question is here but I guess I'm looking for advice on whether to pursue installing a battery?

As a side note I have a smart meter so think I cant get the best day/night tariffs but the smart meter day/night tariffs are still cheaper. Would love advice on this as well :)

Thanks team!

If you have a smart meter and you already have a smart plan / tariff or getting one soon, then it makes a lot more financial sense to just get PV (without battery) and use the grid as your battery. You will get paid, very generously, for every unit you export to the grid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭DC999

Adding to @unkel, if getting a battery rules out solar due to cost, then get solar without a battery. Decision made. If you have / get an EV and it's in the drive during the day it will charge for free for parts of the year. So again, another reason not to need a battery. I've no battery and solar is amazinggggggg

I'm only self consuming 50% of what I generate (average over 6 months it's live) but I will get paid FIT for the remainder. And in time I'll likely be able to get the self consumption higher.

Once you move off a 24hr tariff, you can load shift a lot of the stuff in the house anyway without a battery. Timers on dishwasher, washing machine...10 quid smart plugs will do that on many devices even if they don't have timers

Interesting. Can we assume that the price of installer batteries have gone so expensive that they don't even want to bother sourcing them anymore? That is a good reason to leave the battery out for now. I do think that once you have solar in, you could then have a better idea of how much battery you might need and if it makes sense to invest.

I found on the Electric Ireland site the rate is 21c per kwh. They are also saying the 'generous' payment will be around 150 euro per year! Or am I misinterpreting this?

• Advertisement

Yes, both have said they wouldn't recommend installing a battery due to how expensive they have become. I guess I'd like to know if I purchased a battery how much I can save by leveraging night rates. You might be right in saying I leave it out for now and add in later but any advice here is welcome. Thanks :)

I did the sums a few pages back on the PV FIT Tariff thread... Based on my last year numbers I could save 300 a year using battery to convert day rate into night rate during winter months...if I expanded my existing battery. I feel like im chasing small money with a big investment on battery at today's peak prices.

If the gov gives another cost of living grant I might end up with another zero cost year again...without upgrading. You really need a years data though to work out your own scenarios...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭con747

It's based on the size of your inverter. A fellow Boardie posted this explanation of the formula. "Calculation boils down to 3.395% of your installed capacity by the total hours. So a 6kW system for 1 year would be 0.03395*6kw*24hours*365days = 1784kW deemed export for a year or in SSE case €249.81........Now if most of that energy actually ended up in your EV battery or was exported, nobody knows!!! That is why they will be pushing hard for smart meters :-) Posted here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058094040/pv-feed-in-tariff/p13 Post number #377

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Oisin4343

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue with Energia....

I Have 2 x 5kw batteries on my PV system, charge both at night at night rate and discharge into the house during daytime rates.

However..... the last 2 monthly bill looks like Energia haven't allowed in my bill for the battery discharging during the day, so in essence seem yo have double charged me.

We've Always used approx 1200 units x day rate over 2 month winter period.

And 1000 units x night rate BEFORE BATTERY install AND 1800 units when battery night charged. Therefore I'd expected my date rate useage to be reduced by 800 units approx.

However after contacting Energia they commented that the meter might not be recognising the battery discharge during the day, hence the reason for no reduction in my daytime unit useage.

Is this scenario even possible?? Any comments appreciated.

Energia have nothing to do with your battery system, they are just going on meter readings. They don't allow for batteries etc. Meter readings and meter reading only.

Are you on actual reads (customer) or estimated? Or was last bill was estimated?

As you have a battery system, how does that tally with the meter reading.

Could you have just used more power?

Also for a 2 month period, the most you possibly could loadshift is about 600 units

And there's round trip losses (about 20%) would then only reduce day rate by about 480 units

• Advertisement

I have a 5 kwh battery and last two months discharged 170 per month average. Dont forget it will also fill again and discharge again... the solis will count sun and battery together it of you have one as generation.

If you have a solis, the energy imported number should match the Energia number.

My night units has seen an obvious increase as expected - and my other useage of units (day & peak) have remained pretty similar to last billing period. I just dont see how my day rates havent reduced considerably since the battery should be providing 800 units (or somewhat less going by your reckoning) - but none the less I'd have expected a considerable reduction. No change to how the house has been using power daily. Only reason I mention Energia is that their customer support explanation reckoned that the meter wasnt allowing for the battery input during the day - I await a call back from his superior!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭idc

Even with a 10kWh battery getting similar results but lower overall usage. for dec/jan from bill I only used 22 day (expect xmas dinner used a few of those) and 1203 night. Thats also including charging EV. And only have a 4.65kWp SE/SW system with shading issues in winter!

Yes have a Solis so will check these figures on the Inverter - my dongle is currently out of action so cant use the app - not particularily confident as to how accurate this app is anyway tbh. Ive my Battery set to charge at night 11pm-8am but only discharge between 8am - 11pm - so I asssume that once fully charged it can only discharge then at the selected times.

Thanks for the comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭con747

Post edited by con747 on

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Your comment is only valid if Energia are estimating your bill based on previous usage.

They know nothing about your battery, meter readings is all that matters.

If battery big enough (depends from consumer to consumer) then you should benefit from lower day time charges.

In Jan I imported 24 day units with my first full month of modest discharge battery inverter, in the first 23 days of Feb I'm at 12 units so takes time to bed in and optimise

I should have stated previously - Have the smart meter - so all readings are ACTUAL readings, no estimates - good battery storage capacity 2 x 5KW.

Yip thats the Video guide I used to set up the battery charging at night option - I suppose I'd better make sure all settings still match this... but 99% sure they do. Thanks.

I used the Web portal last night to update my charge settings. I only dropped the AMPs so I would have a mostly empty battery this morning. Filled it then from the sun. The mobile app does not work for me to chnage that setting - but im ok with that.

Agree with @slave1 double and triple check you arent enabling discharge times... should be set to 00:00 or u will waste all the cheap night rate back to grid!

Here is what it looks like on mine from the web portal:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Any risk of night and day electricity rates converging as more and more people transfer power over to the night rate (EV's, PV batteries, domestic appliance etc ?)

• Advertisement
Advertisement