Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022-23 UEFA Europa League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

And Man Utd will wonder how they didn't win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Should have been a red against Barca for pulling down Rashford before that. Ref was poor in general, United didn’t benefit more from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Monaco lead in Leverkusen. Hradecky with an absolute howler as Embolo pressures him and he ends up putting it into his own net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Just thinking there, Europa is massive for Juventus after their points deduction , it’s effectively their only chance to get CL next season!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

They didn't win because they didn't get a hat trick of fortuitous goals. Ter Stegen beaten at his near post for the first and an own goal for the second. While Barca could have had a hat trick in the last 10 minutes, less. Should have had a penalty, hit the post and an effort straight at De Gea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Neither of United's goal were fortuitous. United has a shot straight at the keeper too in the first half, or do those only count for Barca? I agree it should have been a pen by the way.

However, either team could have won on the night, which is clear to anyone that watched the match with an unbiased view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Frustrating watching Barca when you know Collado is on lone . What are they thinking? . La Masias greatest recent talent on loan or on the bench, constantly, for yes men players, who keep the head down and accept the clubs financial corruption.

I've said it before, Collado is the world's greatest talent and playmaker, has been shafted from day one as he has an opinion. Barca don't want him but won't sell him as he's such a talent but he won't tow the line, not fair for such a great player. Let him go or play him

Skipper Disasi may have won it for Monaco in injury time with a long range effort. 3-2. Been a cracking game.

Very surprised Juve didn't get a penalty. VAR called the ref over and he still decides against it.

Full-time. Pleased for Nantes as I didn't give them much of a chance in this one. Second leg will be interesting. Brilliant goal by Blas on the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The world's greatest talent, who was hooked at half time in 4 of his 8 starts this season for Elche...

Maybe a bit of hyperbole there perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Play-off Round 1st Leg Results

AFC Ajax (NED) 0 V 0 1. FC Union Berlin (GER)

FC Barcelona (ESP) 2 V 2 Manchester United (ENG)

FC Salzburg (AUT) 1 V 0 AS Roma (ITA)

FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) 2 V 1 Stade Rennais FC (FRA)

Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) 2 V 3 AS Monaco FC (FRA)

Juventus (ITA) 1 V 1 FC Nantes (FRA)

Sevilla FC (ESP) 3 V 0 PSV Eindhoven (NED)

Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR) 1 V 1 FC Midtjylland (DEN)

Play-off Round 2nd Legs

Thursday 23rd February

17:45 Kick-offs

AS Monaco FC (FRA) V Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) (Agg 3-2) - Live on BT Sport 7

FC Midtjylland (DEN) V Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR) (Agg 1-1) - Live on BT Sport 9

FC Nantes (FRA) V Juventus (ITA) (Agg 1-1) - Live on BT Sport 3

PSV Eindhoven (NED) V Sevilla FC (ESP) (Agg 0-3) - Live on BT Sport 5

20:00 Kick-offs

1. FC Union Berlin (GER) V AFC Ajax (NED) (Agg 0-0) - Live on BT Sport 6

AS Roma (ITA) V FC Salzburg (AUT) (Agg 0-1) - Live on BT Sport 4

Manchester United (ENG) V FC Barcelona (ESP) (Agg 2-2) - Live on BT Sport 2 / Virgin Media Two

Stade Rennais FC (FRA) V FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) (Agg 1-2) - Live on BT Sport 8

I said before he had an attitude, which is his problem in the eyes of Barca. Particularly now, don't want players with strong beliefs or who will speak out. Collado gets stuck in and will speak his mind, Barca have punished him for that tbh.

He's also been injured most of the time at Elche, and hard to run the show around players so basic in technical skill. I suppose his reputation proceeds him, so is expected to deliver from the off or seen as poor.

He should have been given a proper run in the Barca first team. Benching him for so long was a disgrace. You say hyperbole, I'll meet you back here in a few years. I've seen him in full flight, he will do it sooner or later given a real chance, and when he does is unplayable. Serious natural talent, reminds me of the genius that is Reus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I saw that decision. Referee had cojones to go against the home crowd, but he demonstrated that Bremer had both hands on the defender. Clearly that action didn't make his hand fly up (he knew what he was doing!) but the ref called what was a foul, as a foul. I thought he'd cave in to the home team.

For those unaware, and it may be of some interest to people, Royale Union Saint-Gilloise, have gone straight to the knock out rounds of this competition as group winners. It's a remarkable feat and I'm not sure has anything similar happened in football before.

You look back at the 20s, 30' and 40s and often random teams were successful, now defunct or fallen down the divisions. As the game became more professional over the coming decades, generally most leagues stabilised with a few big teams and a gap opening to the rest, always getting bigger. Successful teams of yesteryear, stabilising down the divisions and finding their place there.

Royal Union seemingly dominated the game in Belgium for a couple of decades, being the top team, circa the 20's and 30's I think. As the game developed became a small team and fell down the divisions, often in the 3rd or 4th divisions, lower at times possibly, a minnow compared to the big 3 in Belgium, or even the rest of the top division.

Remarkably though, they have risen back to the top division. Not only that, were league leaders for most of last season, losing to Club Brugge in a head to head match on the run in. Again they are second in the league this year and cantered through their European group.

In one sense they are a minnow punching way above their weight, in another are back in their rightful place. To this day have more league titles than one of the big 3, Standard Liege. But don't think I've ever really heard of similar story, where a team was once the dominant heavyweight in a country, drop off the radar for 70+ years, and then out of the blue rise to prominence again. Be interesting to see will they remain there and draw a big fanbase off the back of it, as far as I'm aware don't have big investors or money behind them either, could be wrong though.

Sort of like if Torino rose to the top of Italian football again, but even they didn't drop as far back. Royal Union have an Irish guy heavily involved in their back room staff too, can't think of the name. Just thought their story would be of some interest for people to look into. As I said, can't recall ever hearing of a similar set of circumstances

Di Maria just scored a sensational goal to give Juve the lead. Some curl on it.

2-0 to Juve. Disaster for Nantes as Pallois gets sent off for handling in the box. Harsh call but correct by the rules. Di Maria with a second. He's on fire atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Chris O'Loughlin, Limerick born and is their sporting director. Brighton owner Tony Bloom also owns Royale USG.

Another cracker between Monaco and Leverkusen which ends 3-2 to the visiting team like the first leg. Extra-time on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Virgin media doing their best to ruin a good match. Commentary is way behind the coverage

Sad dive by Rashford trying to con the referee into giving a free kick at the edge of the box. Thankfully the ref didn't fall for it, unlike Rashford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I know he’s getting on but Busquets is incredibly slow these days. Lads literally strolling past him.

• Advertisement

Commentator on Virgin Media sounded surprised. It was a nailed on penalty.

Monaco/Leverkusen going to pens. Volland came close to winning it with a header against his former side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Blatant penalty. Had to be given.

Lewandowski tucks it away via a big hand of De Gea.

Levandowski looked so incredibly nervous in the run-up to that penalty and was lucky it was De Gea in goal, who doesn't save penalties, but still almost did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Absolutely stupid penalty to give away.

These run ups are getting stupid too.

Leverkusen through with a 5-3 win on pens. Great spot kicks from Leverkusen.

Belotti goal. Roma level in the tie.

Great volley Dybala. Roma leading the tie.

Barca should be 2-0 up. De Gea lucky to get away with that howler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Barca playing United like a fiddle. Spanish teams are streets ahead of premier league teams once again

Union Berlin some incredible story this season - one of the most interesting in Europe. Joint top of the Bundesliga, and now 2-0 up over Ajax in the Europa, and looking good to knock them out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

They are only 1-0 nil up. The fiddle will sound a little different in the second half, when changes are made - probably Rashford through the middle and United take control - which I fully expect them to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Just saw the penalty incident now. The absolute irony of Bruno telling the lad to get up. Should be in the dictionary!

If any United player were to give away a penalty in that manner, I was kinda glad it was him.

Delighted that flop Weghorst was hooked. Disgusting that he is even at the club.

There we go. Game on when it's 11 v 11.

See that's what happens when you don't make the most of your chances. 1-1 now.

Also, only 1 Spanish team made the last 16. Must be the 1st times in a long long time. I think 4 PL teams made the last 16.

And remember, this is the Europa League.

"As things stand we're heading for extra-time."

There's 40 minutes left of the second half. 🙄

Fernandes is classless.

Good save from De Gea, but that header wasn't finished well. Another Barca chance gone a begging.

• Advertisement

Lewandowski fortunate that wasn't red.

ANTONY!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Weird how the commentators on Virgin didn’t know why Bruno got booked! Cheeky thing to do and we all know Bruno knew what he was at.

Antony has been poor, yet he's scored.

This isn't aging too well... last years La Liga runner up (and likely winner this year) 4-3 down against last years 6th place Premier League finisher, and likely going out of Europe's second tier after already going out of the first 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

How many rolls was that by Garnacho? And clutching his face. Cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Barcelona are very poor...how are they so far ahead in la liga...Spanish football is in trouble I think

True... and I'm sure if you did actually have a head injury, that amount of purposeful spinning wouldn't do it any favours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

For all his criticism, Fred is probably MOTM here.

Barca with a terrific chance. Again, the finish wasn't good enough.

Suppose it's only fitting that the Premier League's pride is restored by the most successful Premier League club.

As for Barca...

😂😂😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement