Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Konate always training today so a small chance he may play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah I seen that but reckon he will only make the bench and will be back for the wolves match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He certainly is doing a fine job. When you look at the managers he’s had as a player (Toshack, Benitez, Mourinho, Guardiola and Ancelotti) and the fact that he was always the most intelligent player in any squad he’s been a part of, Alonso was pretty much destined to be a top manager and I fully expect that he will be.

As much as I’d love to see him manage Liverpool one day, I think Real Madrid would be keeping a close eye on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The fear would be him being very, very good at Real Madrid and just…not being sacked.

If you mean both at the same time, I’d love to see him try it. 😂

Ha, hopefully he can do a great job there, get sacked for some nonsense reason like the never-ending political infighting, and can then come to us!

He's one of those guys that just naturally looks like a class manager.

It's mad though, from those Rafa teams; Alonso, Gerrard, Agger, Kuyt, Riise, Torres, Arbeloa, Mascherano, Pellegrino, Aquilani, Biscan, Dossena, Kromkamp, and Riera are all in management now, while a whole bunch more like Zenden, Kewell, Bellamy, Traore and Voronin etc work/worked as assistant managers. Seems an especially high number from a reasonably small pool. Does time with Rafa and his absolutely obsessive attitude make people think more about management I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Win some trophies at Liverpool and off to Madrid to tell Modric what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

My point on GN was in response to this line

" For example Gary Nev wouldn't get near a top side now a days & its not his fault just times move on the game has changed "

I said he would get into the current Pool team (37 year old Milner was playing RB for ye a few weeks ago). He would get into the Arsenal team as their RB is a bit more reserved in their attacking patterns. He would absolutely get into the current Utd team and I'd love a RB as reliable as him now.

I full well understand Klopp's setup for his peak team was as such because he had 2 very creative attacking full backs and a midfield that was less creative but covered ground very well, so the system was set up to take advantage of this. I am not suggesting that you can drop GN into THAT system and expect him to play but what I am suggesting is that the idea that he was some sort of also ran who won all those trophies because he was a local lad or that he couldn't hack it in the current game because all full backs are now wingers is absolute nonsense.

He was a very good RB - if anyone thinks Fergie was keeping players around who weren't up to it then you paid no attention to Utd under him.

The statement above that Klopps team would tear Utd's 08 team (or the others) a new one is very funny to be fair. That Utd team was not easy to break down - PL record for 14 clean sheets in a row in 2008/09. It just doesn't stand up as a statement to any kind of scrutiny at all 😁

I don't expect a pool fan to concede and say "yeah fair enough, I am probably overestimating our side". But come on... at least pull back on the hyperbolic statements for God's sake.

On achievements in the PL era it is Fergie's Utd and then the rest. Just like it is 70s 80s Pool and then the rest for the pre PL era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Xander10

So is Neil Ruddock, if we’re dealing in hypotheticals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Talisman

Carragher said that seeing the level of commitment exhibited by Benitez in order to be successful with Liverpool made him realise that he did not want to be a modern day football manager. Benitez would have been a great teacher for anyone in the squad that had ambitions to go into management. His attention to the little details and thinking outside the box in order to give his team an edge would have been very insightful if experienced first hand.

One of my favourite stories featuring Benitez is how he gave Fernando Torres training sessions with a goalkeeping coach at Liverpool. They coached him on the behaviour of the goalkeepers he would face and where to place his shot in anticipated situations. At the time, no other manager in the league was preparing players for games to that extent. The Benitez approach transformed Torres into a better than 1 goal in 2 games machine and after he was gone, Torres returned to being the inconsistent player he was before joining Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Xander10

Ruddock/Maguire

Sounds like an upgrade on Gomez/Matip😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Iv loads of respect G Nev was a very good player in his own time , As i said id count him as the Prem best ever RB because of what he did over a prolonged period

Now lets take into account its over a decade since Gary retired & 16 year since he player over 20 games in a Prem season & 20 years since he player over 40 games in a whole season , Football has changes so much since then , especially in the full back positions, the pace & power & amount of ground they cover is a whole other world now ,Gary has said that himself multiply times ,

Hence why il think he wouldn't be a starter for a top Prem team now ,I understand your comment about Milner playing RB but that's because Liverpool can't get a decent RB to sit on the bench knowing Trent will start every week, G Nev of course would be a far better option in his prime

I honestly think Whyte are all round better RB than Neville because of how much quicker & more powerful he is as i said times have changed ,,

I actually think the modern full back most like G Nev in the Prem is probably AZP at Chelsea & again he is probably a better version off what Gary was,

I take your opinion on board im just of the opinion that football has become so much quicker & more powerful it s so unfair to compare past & present players , Even harder to compare teams of the past,

I agree with you on Fergie although Pep could surpass him depends how long he stays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I watched highlights of Leeds 0-4 Liverpool from 2002 earlier.

It really looks like a different game. Speed, fitness, technique.

I hope I'm not letting the baggier jerseys blind me here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Some interesting quotes from Klopp today, it’s the first time I’ve ever heard him even remotely admit that changes need to be made this summer. It’s also the first time I have ever heard him mention that him personally will need to sit down with the owners to discuss how that’s to happen. Any time in the past he has been asked about transfer he has just nonchalantly put it off as that is a discussion to be had between the owners and whoever is in charge (obviously that was Edwards for years). He has always tried to distance himself from transfer talk or potential players coming and going. 

We’re not that dumb that we’re only influenced by things that happened recently. It was always clear. The way this club is led, not splashing the money or whatever to see if it works out or not, our transfers always have to be on point. We can’t make four transfers before we know who will leave the club. That kind of stuff. I knew it would be tricky – that was one of the main reasons why I signed a new contract. So on top of all this people wouldn’t have to discuss: ‘And he (Klopp) leaves next year. Not because I’m that great. Just imagine this same situation with another coach. Everyone would have said: ‘Bring Klopp back’. It’s good we don’t have that. Last season was not a year for a big change. We played until the last moment. We cannot bring in new players and realise then that nobody wants to leave, it doesn’t work like that. We had final, after final, after final, we had the season until the last minute, then we had a short break, then we had a lot of injuries, then the World Cup. Of all the problems we knew we would have that came on top, and now we are in it. I don’t like to talk about it all the time. But I have to think it all the time. I cannot change it that people aren’t happy. We try to fight through and make the best of this season. The better you behave in a moment like this, the better the times will be after it, and the more useful the bad times are. Imagine that, in all our lives that we wouldn’t have learned from our failures or the things that didn’t go well, we wouldn’t be the same people. So we have to learn from it as well and we will. But now we are in this heated atmosphere where we lose a game, ‘everybody out’, we win a game, ‘give him a new contract!’ I’m too old for that. We have to make our own plans and that’s what we do, but based on the way this club is led. It’s obviously different to other clubs but it worked out so far and we have to see if it will work still or if we have to adapt. But that’s something for us in the offices when we are not on the training pitch and my conversations with the owners.”

Klopp has vowed to make changes for Saturday’s trip to Crystal Palace. He will make a late call on defender Ibrahima Konate, who returned to full training this week after recovering from a hamstring injury.

“Ibou is near but he’s only had two sessions after a long injury. We are not sure if all the boys could even play again after Madrid because of some knocks here and there. We have to make changes and we want to make changes anyway. It’s not that you come back after a long injury and it just clicks again. We have this situation now with Bobby (Firmino) and Diogo (Jota), and we can see it with Virgil (van Dijk) as well. Everybody expects Virgil always that he is like a robot pretty much but he played the most games last year, played the World Cup, played every game for his country, came back, from the first second played for us, got injured, comes back, plays, plays, plays. That’s not perfect. It’s already clear that we have to do something in the summer, but for now we just have to go through this and fight back. You can lose against Real Madrid but I don’t think a lot of teams can cause them the problems that we caused them in the first 20-25 minutes. I don’t know who is interested in it because it was only 20 minutes but it is still very important for us that I could see that. That’s why I was not in an overly bad mood afterwards. There was some good stuff that I didn’t see for a long time”. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yikes looking at that team, there was absolutely no pace, I'm pretty sure Owen's hamstrings were shot by then. Real no nonsense back 4 too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It's a small thing in all this, but spare a thought for Nat, recalled from his loan to collect more splinters in spite of 2 injured center backs yet again.

Be fair to the lad and let him off. He wouldn't have done any worse than Joe on Tuesday, we wouldn't have conceded 5 I'd bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He'd have taken modric down for the 5th. Can't see him not putting himself in the mixer for their third either.

I think he wouldn't have tried the (slightly underhit) backpass from Joe that Ali fucked up either.

CB has gone from a position of great strength to a major problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Klopp will not pick Phillips unless he has literally no other option, when we had the defensive crisis before, Phillips only got his chance when all other options were unavailable, yet we've seen other defenders fail time and again this season but are still picked ahead of him. He's a limited defender, but, he knows his limitations and gives an honest effort He's unlikely to play for us again, but, I think he could have been a better option for some of our games lately, he couldn't have done any worse than some of the players picked ahead of him.

Regarding midfield if Klopp insists on playing a 3 man midfield, who ever he picks, maybe he should ask them to give everything for 45 mins and then swap them out at half time, surely they can last 45 minutes, with 5 subs, we'd still have 2 subs left, it's mainly in the second half we seem to run out of steam badly, it might be a way to keep legs in midfield and stay competitive in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I definitely think playing Henderson and Fabinho a half each or on a 60/30 split is really the only way they can play at the moment.

Yeah, and even with that, Fabinho came in later in the Brighton game and was just dreadful. I'd be taking him out of the equation now tbh, and be looking at Elliott or Ox or something to come on for Henderson. (or Keita, but I'd be starting Keita with Hendo and Bajcetic until Thiago is back)

I've no problem with any of that, if Klopp doesn't fancy him then by all means don't play him, to do a anything else would be wrong to himself and to Nat as well. However, let him get his move away and get games if that's the case, don't leave him sitting on looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I agree, either use him at some stage or let him go, even if it is only on loan. When you think of some of the defending lately, Phillips must be really frustrated not to at least have got on to the pitch at some stage, he definitely isn't even being considered by Klopp so should have been let go in January, injury crisis or no injury crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

There was a time when it seemed like it would be easy to put Trent ahead of Gary Neville in a best-XI of the 98/99 United & Klopp Era Liverpool teams. However, any fellow Liverpool fans that are still rowing this boat are either deluded or biased beyond help.

Neville would walk into our team right now, and on top of his playing ability, his leadership skills and vocal presence would do the whole back line a service.

Why are there all these unprompted "aren't United just amazing? So much better than us!" posts the past few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Actually looking forward to the game later, I had no expectations with Madrid even at home but 4th very much achievable still. It's not a normal season, were days from march and still have 16 games to play in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

I'm not looking forward to it at all. We were caught out by basics against Madrid. I never expected a win but I didn't expect a demolition. Without a dramatic change of team plan, I think this form will continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's major big blow if Nunez is out today. Scored the opening goal in the last 2 games, brings plenty energy and actually a threat to opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Pat_bottom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Advertisement

Hendo and Milner starting together rarely bodes well.

No sign of Gomez on the bench even, wonder if he’s injured or if he’s just “injured”?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Why are Milner and Henderson still starting together?

For Liverpool. In 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Bajcetic didn't have a great game against Madrid but I don't see the logic in dropping him.

• Administrators Posts: 54,123 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That midfield is horrific. Why would you not play Bajcetic? He's been the least **** midfielder we've got for a while now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Not a good midfield at all. All tired out by half time. Hard to see a win here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Not so bad in 2013 but deffo a concern this year 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It is as if some people have just come out from under a rock when Liverpool have had a bad season also never seen the League cup being so important before than this past week I just can't put my finger on the reason why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Can only laugh at this stage at the chronic state of that midfield.

No Nunez either. Jota has looked very rusty since he came back so not sure how much we will get out of him today.

Bajcetic has started the last 5 games in all comps and often looks tired past the hour mark, he probably just needs a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

In 2013 that's a decent pairing in 2023 its horrific there are glaciers eroding quicker than Milner and Henderson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Looks like it going to be an early night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

This starting Palace team has only scored 6 goals between them all season. We will surely help them with that stat!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I think we'll hammer them.

It makes no sense for a ref to wave Advantage when the players all stop and call to him for a free kick

The kid is 18.

Hes played a LOT of minutes recently. He wasn't poor against Real as such, but was caught in possession a few times, a mix of fatigue and inexperience. We cannot run him into the ground.

Cody has started well here again.

Btw it's crazy that we've been saying we need a Firmino replacement for years at this stage, someone else who play the 9.5 to support the inside forwards, Gakpo looks like exactly that and he was being written off after 2 appearances.

Sloppy start by Trent

Himself and Matip there, was put in a horrible position by Joel but still should've done better

• Advertisement

Jota has looked sharp. I love watching him dribble, he uses his body and little balance shifts so well to make up for his relative lack of pace, reminds me of Suarez.

Advertisement