Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Two announcements from the Game Awards. First, the release date is now May 26th. Second, Kevin Conroy is voicing Batman for one last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Screenshot posted on 4chan/Reddit of main menu seems to confirm the game is a live service/game-as-a-service.

Various types of currency, different loadouts, battlepass, levelling-up, store etc.

sigh....

I have faith in Rocksteady, but zero faith in WB or GaaS-models, so I doubt this will land well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

WB really manage to escape the ire of people on the internet but they are far and away the worst company for ruining games with corporate greed. Up there with Take 2.

The balls they made of the Shadow of Mordor sequel was just depressing, all to grab a big slice of the lootbox pie. Injustice 2 and MK11 didn't feel too bad, but you could see they were pushing mtx's as far as they felt they could.

I'm guessing they might have pared back some of the GaaS stuff from Gotham Knights and are backing Suicide Squad to have the better chance to make the Bat-bucks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I hope I'm proven wrong but a lot of this project just comes across as a bit of a hot mess, even conceptually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

After i just recently read leaked info that it started as GaaS but that has since been removed to favour a single player game.

So either that pic is from an old build or three previous leak was fake. Either way, WB sucks balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

After watching the State of Play, I think it's safe to safe I won't be rushing out to buy this game. seems to be built around co-op.

Though it does remind me more of Sunset Overdrive than the Arkham games

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Underwhelming to say the least.

Well that's definitely off my list, no interest in that kind of game, dammit.

I'm sure it'll be grand quality-wise but yeah, I don't think this one is for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,177 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Is there an official term for this stuff?

If not, I'm christening it Number Vomit. Sick of stuff like that in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Good commentary from Schreier, game looks like it was built as games as a service as this was popular 5 years ago. Unfortunately not really now. Sure weren't Ubisoft doing the same thing and ended up cancelling some of the games. This look like a mashup of Crackdown and Saints Row using DC characters .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It really does look like everything wrong with modern blockbuster game design in one bland, bloated live service mess.

Trying to shove RPG lite progression and terrible tiered loot into every bloody AAA game is infuriating. Just let the mechanics speak for themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Looks pretty bad - bad as in painfully average and derivative - and the fallout coming from the connected service, MP/Bot dependency, battle pass guff is just another potential nail in its coffin. As the buzz words kept coming, you can just hear the echoes of all the controversial "service-model" attempts that have been attempted over the last few years - so it's no surprise that a lot of people are having the same reaction. Visually looks extremely uninteresting as well. They're gonna have to spin this one, as it's difficult to believe that after an 8 year gap from AK, that this is the going to be the end result - rather it could potentially be the final score of a stalemate in what game the team wanted to produce after a number of false starts.

Don't wanna play another open-world 'shooter' which seems to be the genre being pushed here (or at least some overly co-operative dependent version of one), and while I'm sure it'll have that sheen and probably be perfectly serviceable to a lot of players, on a glimpse it's proper 6/10 territory for my interest. Looking at the gameplay, after the feature video, had me nodding off TBH.

A story-driven SP game, albeit one with the problem of how to limit an over-powered Superman in a similar vein to the Arkham-series set in a gigantic Metropolis doesn't sound so bad now, does it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, once they started talking about "gear" it was another thing that made me less interested.

I'll be honest, some of the gameplay looks like it'll be fun to play. The movement, the verticality, the gunplay. Some of it looks fun.

But they've somehow made it even more generic than I feared it would be. Initial trailers seemed to suggest the different characters would be different to play as. King Shark as tank, Harley for speed, Deadshot for ranged, Captain Boomerang maybe a mix of all. Now we have Harley Quinn floating in the air with a gatling gun, Captain Boomerang shooting enemies with extremely non-boomerang guns, and King Shark just swimming through the air. It's clear the base gunplay will be the exact same for all characters, with some special moves unique to the character but will all fundamentally be the same just with different animations. Even more likely considering they've said there'll be more playable characters released post-launch, so it'll definitely be a one-size-fits-all system.

The gear system is very Borderlands, with different weapon manufacturers and just numbers, numbers, numbers. Enemies and mission types that we've seen are extremely generic and all seem to boil down to "shoot the thing(s)". And their talk of gear sets like if you collect Bane's gear then you'll have a special perk.... it's just green smoke that damages enemies. So lazy.

The gameplay itself might be fun to actually play, but goddamn this game looks like it'll be a dud overall. From Arkham Asylum to Anthem Asylum....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bungie and Gearbox need to pay for what they've done to modern games.

Also, regarding the new playable characters:

WILL SUICIDE SQUAD: KILL THE JUSTICE LEAGUE HAVE NEW CONTENT AVAILABLE POST-LAUNCH?

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League will have post-launch content updates to expand the story with new missions and earnable characters, available at no cost.

"earnable" characters.... 🙄

TBH I even think the Suicide Squad branding itself is a massive obstacle for them to overcome. It's nowhere near as easy a sell as a Batman or Spider-Man game would be. Hell, an Avengers game was flop when it turned out to be a live service 'looter shooter' type deal. I'd be fascinated to hear the story of what has gone on at Rocksteady over the last decade to end up here. As Jason Schreier has noted there was another game being made until it was cancelled - Superman, presumably.

It also means when it comes to further playable characters, they pretty much all have to be not only from the Suicide Squad, but also mostly gun-based. Sure, you could put say Rick Flag in a Green Lantern cosmetic outfit, but you'll still be playing as Rick Flag.

• Advertisement

I think warner bros are the issue. They are one of the scummiest publishers at the moment and I can guarantee the game being a love service clone was dictated by the money men rather than being any creative decision.

Yupp and you know that when the game fails, they'll be quick to blame the dev team for not making it good enough and AAA **** train rolls on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I looked at the state of play video, it looks like destiny ,eg shoot various enemys ,collect different weapons, gun upgrades , with suicide squad characters. lots of flying ,jumping, platforming , i don,t like the characters apart from harley quinn. why does wonder woman look completely different from the comic book version.the flash character is annoying.you can play it as a single player game along with the other 3 characters played by bots .its strange to see those characters floating or flying around ,in the comicbooks those characters do not fly ,they just use guns or melee type weapons.

It looks like a mediocre destiny or borderlands clone with more advanced graphics . i have no interest in playing a superhero game thats based on collecting guns, or gun upgrades . i prefer single player games that have a plot and a story like deus ex or bioshock.

"We've listened carefully to all your feedback, and after careful consideration and delaying the game to ensure we can deliver an experience the fans deserve, we can confirm that all the purple orbs on enemies that you have to shoot will now instead be red... as is tradition."

Yeah they might as well just ship this asap and not sink any more money into it. Generic action shooter gaas isn't going to turn into the Suicide Arkham squad that everyone's hoping for.

Exactly. The loot, gunplay, GaaS, battlepass etc... it's all intrinsically interwoven into every part of the game. At best they might be trying to rebalance how quickly/easily you unlock things in the battlepass so as to give you a very constant stream of unlockables, but there's no way the whole battlepass or gear systems will be removed from the game.

Just release it and blow the bomb in the back of the game's skull. Put it out of its misery and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

this game looks boring ,jump and fly around to shoot enemys .there,ll probably be loads of skins, and weapon upgrades ,or guns to buy .if you want to play on,line shooters theres plenty of games like warzone, destiny, apex legends etc

maybe it,ll have a great single player story when you get to fight the JLA ,its too early to say . it looks weird to be shooting a glowing orb to kill an enemy ,thats like an old ps2 game cliche.

• Advertisement

I don't think this can be saved no matter how long they delay it.

Advertisement