Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Oh Christ! Yeah the Exchequer brought in €83 billion in tax receipts last year and ran a €5 billion surplus but a €5 million active travel and public realm project in Limerick is apparently depriving the health service (which incidentally received €22 billion last year) of vital funding!!

Wow! Cycle lanes and general non-motorist focused infrastructure really brings irrationality to the fore with the car fanatics!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭boetstark

Tax takes versus outlays on this that and the other is irrelevant.

Im not in this discussion to argue with anybody re their choices to cycle or not. Even just 5m euro plus what has already been spent on cycle lanes that are relatively unused. They even want to cpo a portion of peoples front gardens on father russell rd. I have seen a fire truck struggle to get through childers rd in heavy traffic because of a cycle lane with protective bollards , and no cyclists on it.

Presumably you whine about the bus lanes with no busses in them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

I use Childers Road daily, cycling. I am very rarely, if ever, the only cyclist on it. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Oh and there's only 1 week where I drove all winter, I'll let you guess which one, apart from that there really isn't a massive issue with the weather, just excuses.

The emergency services argument is a complete red herring, there are plenty of streets in this city which are narrower than Childers road and they manage just fine. Same in other countries with more extensive cycle networks, and narrower roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,068 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The hospitals, the fire engines, the weather.

Throwing out all the lazy barstool tropes this morning.

Would you like to hazard a guess as to what is really the biggest delayer of fire engines on the roads.

• Advertisement

Throw out the usual fob offs barstool this barstool that.

You cannot accept the fact that precious public funds are being spent on your unused cycle lanes.

I have no issue with reducing cars , but improve our public transport not unused useless cycle lanes

I'd love to keep arguing but I'm off to use some cycle lanes.

Enjoy , you wont be worried about conjestion on them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You just proved the argument against yourself - one of the reasons bicycle lanes seem unused is because of the lack of congestion. Cyclists get where they're going quickly instead of sitting in line for an extra for 20 minutes after the Clonmacken Roundabout or St Mary's or the Parkway.

No the reason they arent congested is because very very few people use them.

Come out to raheen industrial estate and see the beautiful cycle lanes going in both directions. With this nice weather they are full of users every lunch time , people use them for walking because of no cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

In this case the emergency services thing isn't a red herring. I've seen ambulances with lights and sirens on going nowhere on that section of Childers Rd due to traffic being bumper to bumper. Cars used to be able to pull over to let them through, but the barriers are so high, it's not possible now. When there was an accident there a few months back the fire brigade had to drive up the cycle lane and footpath.

I'm not against cycle lanes, but that one was done on the cheap and is poorly designed. The original plan from years back when the cycle lane from the Parkway to the Kilmallock Roundabout was done was to cross the road, push the railing in and put the cycle lane in there off the road. They didn't even need to cross the road though. Other than the pinch point beneath the bridge there was room to put the cycle path inside the footpath.

And now they are going to do the same thing out the rest of the Childers Road out to Lidl. Even though there is a grass verge wide enough to take a double cycle lane all the way.

The council are making huge mistakes that have already been learned by other councils.

The big two are there should be none of these shtty on path cycle lanes and the other is when you are building two cycle lanes they should be next to each other like on Shannon bridge. In many places they are made wide enough to be used as emergency service lanes.

What would really help the fire engine though is less of those cars that were blocking his path.

Or what would really really help is if car drivers would stop illegally parking and cutting through cycle lanes thus ending the need for bollards.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭coffey87

The weather argument is complete bull. I lived in Eindhoven for 3 years, and while the weather in the summer might be a bit better, the winter is worse than Ireland, but people still cycle to work in the winter. Dutch weather is actually very similar to Irelands in general.

People have it in their heads that cycling is done in Italy, Spain and France because the professional cycling they see on TV is from those places but they are a fair bit down the list especially sunny Spain and south Italy.

Helsinki with it's 182 days of rain and a very cold winter has more cycling commuters (and infrastructure) than the hostile roads of Madrid.

The issue on Childers Rd is the type of barrier. If you need to pull in for emergency services on the Shannon Bridge you can do so as it's possible to drive over the barriers to let them pass. It's not possible to do so on Childers Rd.

And getting more people cycling isn't going to reduce traffic as much as you think it will. There is still pretty high car usage and traffic jams in all these European countries that have brilliant cycling infrastructure.

Ya the LSMATS plan I think is to get it up to 10% and with population projections for the city that won't lead to a reduction in cars just mean less of an increase.

See again the problem with barriers like Shannon bridge is the road would still be blocked for fire engines by the illegal parking. Its already causing headaches for buses in some estates often with cars parked outside empty driveways.

How on Earth would barriers like the ones on the bridge cause illegal parking on Childers Rd? There was never anyone parking there before cycle lanes went in, so there isn't going to be now. It's not an issue on main roads. Barriers like the ones on the bridge keep drivers out of the cycle lane while driving, but would allow them to be able to temporarily pull over to let emergency services pass if the barriers weren't so large.

Oh sorry I meant in general rather than specifically on Childers Rd.

It's not an issue on the bridge or any area that has no adjacent buildings like the stretch on Childers. But in many other areas every little gap is exploited by the fat lazy "must part right outside" brigade.

My favourite recently was someone mounting the path and driving her SUV right up to the steps of Colbert station to save her precious little darlings legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Putting a cycle lane on the rest of childers rd seems a no brainer. I see quite a lot of bikes and scooters around the ballinacurra rd to roxboro at rush hour. We should be putting these facilities on the main arteries of the city.

Also I'd scrap the bus lane on ballinacurra rd and make it a cycle lane. Forget this south circular road transport initiative nonsense. It should be left to remain for residents there and its quite narrow as is.

Another place that needs a cycle lane would be Ballysimon Rd. It could do with a revamp and the pavement is pretty bad in places there.

A bit of forward thinking is important. Cyclists should be enouraged not the opposite. At the current state it's not suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The cycle lane on the South Circular had over 750 submissions, most of which were against the thing (75% against if you believe Willie ODea)

The tower blocks at Punches Cross, Hassetts cross, Greenfields, Rhebogue all had huge opposition from local populations

On a serious note, at which point did this fine country stop being a democracy?

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with democracy, simply because it wasn't a vote, it was a planning application.

Hassetts cross in particular is laughable bullsht. 2 sides of the cross are fairly new apartment blocks that are in no way "fitting in" with the old houses in the area and the closest building on the other corner is a stadium that is absolutely towering for a stadium of it's modest capacity.

Nothing not even a slag heap or one of the great pyramids could be less "fitting in" than the almost 20 year old rotting hole that is currently sitting in Punches cross. Maybe they should build something that "fits in" like a petrol station or a Lidl.

The councillors voted last week on the cycle lane, which was passed, much to the annoyance of the residents on the South Circular. Not really relevant though unless those politicians got their seats on the basis of approving such schemes

The others are private developments so as far as I'm aware they don't get votes at any level. But they clearly go against the will of the people

The people can express their will at the next local election. Just like at the last one. There was no public vote on the cycle lane.

Personally I will be voting for any party who stands up to the NIMBYs. Past time we started getting things done in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

New cycle infrastructure is not for the few that cycle today but for those that drive. This concept may be too difficult for many people to grasp but I will try to explain. The travel data collected in Ireland is not overly detailed but we know that nearly 80% of commuting trips are made by car. We need to greatly reduce the total annual distance we drive annually in order to reach our legally required reductions in CO2 emissions. This doesn't mean people have to swap their car for a bike/bus/train for 100% of their trips but we need to see a % shift from car mileage to more sustainable modes of transport. Cycling can be an alternative to car driving for a % of short local journeys. If a high quality local cycle or bus network was connected to a high quality inter-urban train/bus network then you could start to see significant reduction in car usage for both long and short journeys. That's why I think the BusConnects plan for Limerick is hopeless as Colbert Station and not O'Connell St should be the major public transport interchange in Limerick. 10 years from now, everyone living in Raheen/Dooradoyle going to Cork will still be driving rather than taking public transport because the latter will remain vastly more inconvenient.

I suppose I'm more thinking of how these developments go against the will of the people than any actual vote in the case of the cycle lane we had directly elected representatives going against the will of said people

Presume so if you had your driveway, parking space or view of the sky interrupted by such a development you wouldn't be objecting?

Irishrail really not doing enough to promote how cheap they are as well.

It's not gonna change the numbers massively but people should have a look at how cheap it now is to get to the other cities or Ennis.

Ive lived in central London. I'm well used to bigger buildings popping up around me.

Your "will of the people" stuff belongs in the CT forum.

• Advertisement

It's more than that though, when it rains we see next to nobody out on bikes and buses usually run with an imaginary timetable, this attitude of "needing to stay dry" or "being on time for work" needs to change.

I spent 3 years commuting to UL from caherdavin, the only way I could make 9am lectures was by taking a bus at 7:05am and arriving at about 7:40, the next bus was 7:30 and got me in for 9:30... Driving in my final year meant leaving home at 8am and arriving at 8:45... Cost me 4X as much but worth it

Advertisement