Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Friday night @9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I note that referees have been told to reinvigorate their clamp down on the 'throw ball'. We ll see if it comes to anything. If it does signal a change in attitude then the likes of Hannon,Lynch ,Tom Morrissey ,Finn will have to change their technique .

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Don't worry, Peggy. JP has pumped millions into a hand-passing course that's on standby for such a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭High bike

Well said Peggy re the hand pass/throw whatever u want to call it.If you could sort out those 5 Limerick lads it's problem solved because obviously no player from any other County would never do anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I would absolutely love to see us beat Clare again in the Munster final but with a goal from an illegal hand pass. Hegarty to Gillane would be a nice one that would really wind em up.

Maybe throw in some steps in the build up too 🤣

Hegarty's goal in last year's Munster final was perfect given the scummy comments Clare fans were making about him.

• Advertisement

• If we had bothered to mark Tony we'd have beaten them alot easier. Kilkenny fairly put manners on him

Can't see that happening. I'd say Clare are the one team Limerick wouldnt want to meet in Championship. Clare would go man for man and it would be very close again. Kelly would run riot as per usual and score about 12 points from play.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Go away kid.

Galway and Kilkenny came close too but they done it in do or die matches.

Anyone see the big news in the 'Limerick Leader. Wolf Tones/IRA are doing a concert in the TUS Gaelic Grounds in August. Personally I despise their music and what they stand for. I'd imagine many Limerick GAA supporters feel the same. It's bottom of the barrel stuff. You ll have all the pseudo Republicans and the working class hero's out .. it ll be carnage.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Tis easy score 12 points when you're playing loose hurling and expecting other lads to do the donkey work. Reality is that when Tony is marked he scores sweet FA

• Advertisement

Thats a tad simplistic . Tony Kelly is probably the most outrageously talented hurker playing the game. I do agree he can very occasionally be marked successfully but he's some player.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

He never scored anything like 12 points from play in senior inter county. That's a fact.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

🤣🤣 That's Cian Lynch you are thinking of kid 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

TK is class alright but my memories of hurling goes back to the mid 90s and I'd rate TJ Reid as the best overall hurler ive seen and to be nominated for HOTY at 35 is some going, most outrageously talented as you put it possibly his fellow Kilkenny man in the news for all wrong reasons at the moment, Eoin Kelly a contender too. All subjective i suppose. Actually rate Hegarty highest of this Limerick team in terms of everything, he's redefined the role of a half forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

Well for a start there is Hegarty-top scorer from play in three All Ireland Finals, Lynch twice Hurler of the year, Flanagan scorer of eight points from play in a Munster Final but the list goes on.

I'd rate Hegarty as the most effective big game player of them all. If there is a criticism of Kelly it's that if he's starved of possession he can't win primary ball like a Hegarty or even Lynch can. T.J was and is amazing ,kept Kilkenny in it last year on his own . Eoin Kelly was a great score taker, nothing more. He'd no pace and played corner. He didn't affect a game like the boys can. He was an unbelievable goal scorer and point scorer .one of the best.

Lynch is an amazing talent. His vision and close control are unsurpassed. He doesn't have the pace of a Kelly nor his array of score taking skills. 2 totally different types of players. As a 'team player' Lynch is better. Kelly is an out and out individual talent.

As an aside if we are talking defenders Dan Morrissey will go down as one of the best of his generation. Iv no doubt about that. He's an amazingly efficient player. His passing and vision are unrivalled. Hes a better fullback than Casey and a better defending wing back than Byrnes.I can never understand people on here criticising him. Even his conditioning is amazing, way ahead of others. He's a pro.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Clare threw the kitchen sink at Limerick last year and they still came up short. It can be very difficult for a team to recover from knowing they gave it their very best and that still not being good enough, and their performances against Wexford and Kilkenny were a million miles away from what they produced in Munster. The Munster final defeat broke them last year. There's no reason they can't find those levels again but Limerick have proven they can beat Clare while Clare have only proven that they can compete with Limerick but not that they can beat them. On that basis I'd nearly turn your claim around and state that Limerick are the one team Clare wouldn't want to meet.

However, this notion of X wouldn't want to meet Y is a load of bullcrap. It's not at all a factor amongst inter county panels. 2022 proved it - all bar Cork put up a fierce challenge against Limerick last year, every game was in the balance. There's no fear of Limerick and Limerick dealt with everything that was thrown at them. If a team has their house in order they'll be happy to take on anyone.

No surprise you big up Morrissey the man being kept out of the full back line by Casey.

Bitter stuff.

There's no bitterness on my part. None whatsoever. I'd put it to you that Casey isn't keeping Morrissey out of the fullback line. It's just that Casey can't play anywhere else. I rate Casey but not anywhere near as highly as Morrissey.

I kind of agree with the other poster about the Limerick v Clare situation. Clare were 'broken' last year after that final. Limerick are a fantastic side and Clare had no more left mentally after that. Clare are more than a match for anyone but they need their full 15 ..they can't do without a Conlon or Kelly.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

There's no taking that seriously. On your eternal quest to be argumentative and take oppositional takes to other posters, you end up posting this kind of stuff.

• Advertisement

That's some load of nonsense about Eoin Kelly.

Aww still sour because I didn't recognize Bubbles as "one of the most skillful players to play the game" 🤣

I didn't do it to be argumentative I done it because this Clare poster has a history of putting down the Casey's.

Go out and enjoy yourself. Blow off some steam. Watch some star trek.

• Some load of nonsense full stop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

That's a bit of a mad take on Eoin Kelly, if you ever hear any of the Kilkenny players from their dominant era the 2 players they seemed to rate most were him and Ken McGrath.

I rate Eoin Kelly highly, very highly. The guy had wrists of gold and an unbelievable accuracy and shot.

He had no pace ,couldn't play in numerous positions like a Ken McGrath for instance. Wasn't comfortable in central positions either. He was a very very good forward but nothing like a TJ, Tony Kelly, Hegarty ect.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

This is the Limerick thread so last point I'll make on this. You probably only saw the tail end of his career because that is simply not true. He was a fire fighter for the Tipp forward line for the first half of his career and longer - put out fires everywhere. There's not one position of the forward line he didn't play in - show for ball and score. The second half of his career for the most part was part of an O'Shea philosophy of the forwards changing position constantly.

You keep embarrassing yourself by speaking in these generalities and sweeping statements, whether its about Forde, Kelly, Gillane, or the Caseys for example, that have no basis in reality. They just suit whatever narrative your promoting at the time.

Stick to the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I actually agree with his point if limerick had no injuries last yr Morrissey would have been at 3 and hayes at 7, I'm nearly sure of that

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

can't believe you think of eoin Kelly like that, to this day I'd rate him as one of the greats. no pace? come on!!!? I'm limerick through and through but Kelly was one of the greats for me

• Advertisement

The man was exceptional and influenced games at a time when Tipp were not all that great. They had a fair gap between his early and later All Irelands where he was a clear shining light for that team.

Lee Chin often reminds me of him in terms of being a clear and obvious talisman of a team.

Advertisement