Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Depends a lot on your day usage. From November to Feb your likely to have less solar. For us our battery gets us most days in the winter from 8am to 11pm. Without it we would be paying probably for 9kw at 45 cents versus 10 cents approx. So it's about a 75 percent saving for us. Of course you have losses to figure in, DC to AC etc. Batteries as you say aren't cheap so do your calculations

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭adriant900

I would love the opinion of the boards community.

The thread is for domestic quotes but if its ok I would like to share the quote for a larger system for a farm. Installing on a farm roof should be a lot easier than a domestic house as you can just bolt the mounting through the roof into the timber. The design of our roof will also mean I dont think scaffolding will be necessary.

94 panels, array of 30Kwp, panels are Solarwatt Glass-Glass. Inverter is Fronius. Battery is Solarwatt or BYD

Excluding VAT and grant: €41,500 (Including VAT: €47,102)

EDDI is an extra: €725 (Including VAT €823)

10Kwh battery: €9,000 (Including VAT €10,215)

or 20Kwh battery: €13,750 (Including VAT €15,606)

My questions are:

-What do you think of the above quote?

-How do I compare installers? I know nothing about any of them, when I google them there are not many reviews, I have heard that there are cowboys working in the industry. Can I name companies here to see if anyone knows them?

-How do I compare panels? they are all different so hard to compare like with like, the above company claim that their panels are the best as they are backed with glass instead of foil so are more resistant to ammonia emissions (ammonia might be an issue as they will be on a farm), but panels from other companies also claim to be resistant to ammonia so how do I compare panels in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

Check the installers sticky https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058243236/solar-pv-boards-members-installer-information#latest , the quote is overly expensive for that sized system. Put the quote in here http://davidhunt.ie/solar/ and that is more based on residential but I would expect a commercial system of that size to be even cheaper.

Panels are panels! They are talking sh1te. You mention grant not included, I'm not familiar with the grants for farms so I have no idea how much is available so it could be competitive depending on the amount of grant.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Off-hand observation, 10kwhr battery @ 80% equals 8kwhr at night rate of 10cents means that you save money when using 8kwhr during the day at 50cents. Now using ONLY 10kwhr per day this means a saving of €3.20 per day/over €1000 per annum by load shifting 8kw per night. Then factor in PV production saved to battery, between April and October (not needing to pay for nightly charge) and savings multiply . Have I got this right?

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Being a bit generous, but on the right track,

There is round trip losses, about 20%

So say you spend 10 kwh to get 8 out

Take energias day/night rate 13.75c night, 47.77c day.

Cost to charge is 1.37, 8kwh of day rate saved is 3.81, total saved is, 2.44

Charge battery from mid oct to mid March , approx 5 months. 366 from load shifting in a year.

Rest of the 7 months if you use all your battery from captured solar, best case 80% of the days, (bad days, don't get enough charge, good days, don't use it all before night rate)

At the above rates

210*0.47*8*0.8 = 631 so about 1000 in total for a year.

As your on a day night currently it will be a deemed FIT. Doesn't matter what you export.

Say if you were on a smart meter though. And got a measured FIT, that can really muddy the waters. That really depends on how much solar you get installed to roughly estimate that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Woo hoo, all those honours maths classes were right. Now if you figure the EV Night rates into the equation, and the falling electric rates (PINERGY today, AND they INCREASED FIT Rates, means every other supplier MUST fall as well, and INCREASE FIT), then signing up for a yearly rate, at this time, is questionable. Tell me I am wrong?

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

That's your homework 😂

But the suppliers must.. do nothing.

As pinenergy ev rate has a good rate for 3 hrs, there is a high rate for 21 hrs.

Also pinenergy is level pay only too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

For me, I would prefer to get the battery, if I can afford it when installing. It's not just the saving during night rate (e.g. difference between day rate and night rate when charging the battery from the grid - approx. 20c per unit difference on most tariffs), which would be mostly during winter. But also, the potential additional savings during the day when the battery is being charged from PV to be used at home rather than exporting back to the grid (typically 40c+ per unit for day rate, these days).

Yes, the battery will take longer to pay for itself, but there are benefits to having one. Everyone's case may be different, but that's my thinking for my planned scenario.

Post edited by Fingleberries on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

100% agree, a battery is best. But I don't have one as budget wouldn't allow. So I've a bit more manual work to turn stuff on. But I'm ok with that trade-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭LadFromLimerick

Hi all,

I received this quote. Does it look reasonable?

If anyone could pm me with the name of a supplier who might be able to offer better value I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

9 X 420 JINKO TIGER PANELS N TYPE

1 X SOlIS 6KW HYBRID INVERTER (Future proofed to 8.2KW)

1 X WIFI STICK

1 X VAN DER WALK ROOFING SYSTEM

1 X EDDI WATER HEATER

1 PROJOY SHUNT SWITCH 

1 X ENERGY METER

ALL ASOCIATED FUSES AND ISOLATORS 

HAND OVER PACK 

COMMISOINING AND TESTING. 

5KW BATTERY (DYNESS OR SOLUNA)

COST: €12,400 incl VAT (Grant to be deducted from this)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

hmm, for that kwp, maybe push them to include the BER and grant application.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

New quote that I like the look of, but wondering if any comments on the brands being used, seem to be different from the others I have been given just wondering if there are any gotchas.

15 x 400w Jinko

Solar EP 6kw Inverter

4.8kw CFE Battery

MyEnergi Eddi

14,999 before grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

10x370w JA panels monocrystalline = 3.7kwp system

1 5KW solis hybrid inverter

5KW dyness battery

1x check meter

1DC isolator

1AC isolator

1 fireman switch

1 Eddi

BER NOT included

€9,400

Quote valid 10 days August install

I'm based in Sligo and most quotes are high here and this is best to far.

Very much open to recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I assume that price of €9400 is post grant reduction? It's a bit pricey (not terrible, but on the pricey side). Have you looked in the installation details spreadsheet? Get some installers from there?

I'd also question if you need an Eddi. I have one and I like it, but I bought it at a different time.....long before FIT etc was on the landscape. Nowadays it'll probably never make you back the money you pay for it, and you would be better off without one. That said, I like mine and since it's a sunk cost, I like the flexibility it gives, but it's worth calling out that it will probably not pay for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Thanks very much. Sorry yes it's after grant. The other half just said she wants the Eddi as she would like the option of hot water on demand lol. We would usually just switch on the emersion before needing it.

I'll take a look a the spreadsheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

As bullit says, the Eddi is 'nice to have'. You won't have hot water from the Eddi for months of the year. From Oct ish to around now, or longer on a smaller system. Just not enough sun. Others use the immersion on a timer on cheap night rate - that still gives on demand hot water once the tank is well insulated to hold the heat. No cost difference as night rate (if you have it) is close to FIT. So if you exported (instead of Eddi) and used the immersion to heat, you're no worse off cost wise.

Personally I'd rather the solar goes into an electric rad in winter than a hot water tank. That better suits our house. But fully get the need for hot water and suits a busy house. In summer the Eddi will give heats of hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Very slow to reply on this one. Yeah they can be done and are allowed for in the SEAI regs. My house is wired up for backup power supplied by a battery. Did you figure something out?

Backup operation is permitted so long as the below conditions are met;

- The backup supply from the PV and battery energy storage system must be on the load side of the ESB meter and cannot feed any other premises.

- The requirements of I.S. 10101 must be met, particularly relating to the requirements of ‘standby supply’ and break-before-make changeover switch, and the requirements for neutral treatment in island mode and impacts on protection operation.

- There can be no circumstances where the PV and battery system will feed energy into the grid during backup operation.

- Ensure that, by design, loss of mains (LOM) protection is not compromised. This could be either by relocating LOM to ESBN-Customer interface or by interlocking LOM changeover switch.

Section 5.4.5 of Building Regulation TGD B - Fire Safety (2017) states that “where Photovoltaic (P.V.) panels are provided on buildings, provision should be made for the isolation of the panel array externally and in accordance with ET101, 2008” which has been replaced by I.S. 10101.

 For all live conductors where a risk of electric shock is involved

 Must act as directly as possible on the appropriate supply conductors

 Accessible, readily identifiable and convenient for intended use

my system is setup in a way that most installers would not be comfortable doing as they have not done sufficient investigations into the regulations and they just want to play it safe and stick to what they know.

in my case if the grid fails; I have 5 circuits (up lights / down lights / boiler / internet & comms / kitchen sockets ) all can be powered by both the battery and the PV panels if it’s light outside.

my DC isolation switches are accessible externally in their own dedicated cabinet;

• Advertisement

What’s your use-case? What kind of equipment are you planning on using? Do you have 3 phase power? What’s your MIC at the moment? How much do you use on average per day on this connection?

what grant are they using?

are they factoring in the cost of making an NC7 application on your behalf?

did they mention how much you will expect to get paid for export and how this would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 westernfringe

Hi folks, we just recently got solar installed. Had a couple of issues on installation. They arrived 2 panels short of what we ordered, and as far as I can tell, one of the panels got damaged putting it up. It so sooo windy on the day that I had to help with handing the panels up as they were flying all over the place. I actually rang the day before, and morning off installation to warn them that I felt it was too windy for the installation. We live in a very windy exposed location. The rails are long enough for the remaining panels and they are due to come back at some stage with the other panels and to check the one I think is damaged. Which brings me to one of my questions, as you can see from pic, the wires are all sitting on the roof. At the time I asked would they be tied up and I was told yes. I was too busy helping hand up panels to keep an eye on installation. As we are in a very windy location, my thoughts are that it's not a good idea to have the wires on the roof where they can rub around in the wind???

I also found out after, that they gave me a 5.1 CFE battery instead of the 4.8 Dyness that I ordered. It was in a case so I didn't notice until after they left. The salesman has assured me that they are the same quality/price. This is really not my area of expertise so haven't been able to find out/verify if they are similar? Quality? Price?

Any advice on the above would be much appreciated?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Given inflation etc, is the note on the calculator at Solar Quote Analyser (davidhunt.ie) still accurate as my quotes are not competitive at all?!?!

EUR 1500 being the max and more like EUR 1100 per Kwp (am not getting a battery and don't need an Eddi).

Also, is the BER post work actually needed where you are starting with an A rating (house is only a few years old)?

They should have clipped / secured the cables while installing; they are going to have to take them back off now. Here are the regs from the SEAI installers code of practice:

“DC cables must be suitable secured when routed from the PV module array across the roof area to the entry point to the building. Cables must not be exposed to excessive movement from wind or any other mechanical stress due to their installation.”

Link: https://www.seai.ie/publications/SPV-Code-of-Practice.pdf

if SEAI inspect this they most probably would request the cables to be clipped before they pay out the grant.

if you have the stuff about the battery in writing it’s up to you if you want to push them but the costs are:

Dyness 4.8kWh LFP Battery A48100: 1650 ex vat

CFE 5.12kWh Lithium Battery: 1500 ex vat

so you would be within your rights to request a reduction in price; but maybe they weren’t specific about the battery in the quote. If I have time later I’ll look at the spec sheets for both and see if one is somehow better / worse than the other. Looks like the Dyness comes in a nicer case which is wall mountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 westernfringe

Thanks so much for that info. Very much appreciated. It was so windy I think they rushed the job with the panels.

The quote was specific re.battery and it was the Dyness I requested. Case for cfe is fine, it is wall mountable but and it's on the floor in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

If your getting the grant then the SEAI require a new BER, ridiculous but that's the way it is.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Use case is that we are a dairy farm, main use of electricity is cooling milking followed by milking machine, there would be a few pumps and lights operating at times as well. Yes I have 3 phase. MIC is 29KVA. Annual use of electricity is 50,000kwh but more of that is used in summer, it would be around 183kwh per day in the summer (April to August) and down around 80kwh in the winter in December and January. Roughly 60% at day rate, 40% at night.

Looking into use the TAMS grant which is just for agriculture. There is mixed messages on will providers pay for exported power if you avail of this grant, I am looking into it.

Yes I am aware of the cost of the NC7 application, it is around €1,000.

I am currently cooling the milk using an ice bank system which use a compressor to make ice and there is a level of flexibility on when this is done, the system then uses cold water to cool the milk when needed, I wonder could I connect an EDDI to the ice bank to start making ice when excess solar power is available? My concern is that the compressors have single phase motors would they on a day that clouds are coming and going or if other things are turning on and off get burned out by turning on and off the compressors too many times. Does any one have any experience or knowledge of this?

Thank you, installers do not seem eager to give competitive quotes for my requirements which I am surprised at as it seems straight forward compared to residential. I have a number of quotes and that was the best (jointly with another company), some of them are off the wall from what I would have expected based on the davidhunt.ie/solar/

Had a skim of the Tams this morning, Doesn't look too bad, And the 60% grant will be a big chunk of it. It does stipulate that 100% of the solar is used on premises. So I'm not sure if export is allowed.. but there's nothing to stop you turning off the export limit when the grant is passed and paid.

The eddi can only be used to drive a resistive load(eg an immersion) not the likes of a compressor unfortunately . There is possible routes for DIY and automation but thats a whole other ball game.

• Advertisement

Eddi only works out of the box with resistance loads like immersions. But you can also get a relay board that would allow you to do what your suggesting; but I’d say once you start running that system you would be better off letting it run to completion.

can you break down your that 183kwh for me. I’d like to crunch some numbers for you. What’s the load of that ice machine? How long does it run? What’s the load like when your milking?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement