Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGFA welcome Transgender players.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did you miss the bit about the testosterone levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

We’d better hurry up and protect women from those dreadful trans women.

Oh wait, no, she was put into a wheelchair permanently by a cis woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

You're spot on, but until she's an adult she's my child and as her parent it's one of my foremost responsibilities to protect her from joining organisations that put fuzzy feelings of diversity and inclusion above the health and safety of it's members - and in particular the underage members. The health and safety of my daughter trumps all virtue signalling policies by outfits like what the LGFA are seeking to do here.

It's a sad situation because the coach of the local girls soccer team is also the coach of the local LGFA girls team and we had a discussion about bringing my daughter to Gaelic football training when it resumes in the Spring - as she's proving herself to be a determined little player. On foot of this policy being brought in by the LGFA that discussion will progress no further.

At least my daughter is only starting out - it would be much harder to withdraw her from the LGFA if she had a couple of years done training with the team. Clouds and silver linings and all that I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

I certsinly wouldn't call it a sad situation though. You get to tell your daughter what she can and can't do while parents of trans girls get to have their kids play sport in and diverse and inclusive organisation. Not only that, but they also wouldn't have to deal.with parents like you and vice-a-versa. If anything, this should be celebrated as a great situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Not a single person claimed womens sport were without risk, people have made the correct argument that they become even more dangerous for women if you allow biological men play against women.

It's like nobody claims driving is 100% risk free however it become a lot more risky if you drive drunk or break the speed limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

wouldn't have to deal.with parents like you

Are you subtly suggesting that I'm anti-transgender people? Nice assumption there.

Back on topic - Perhaps TG players could form their own club? Their own organisation? Their own tournaments? Etc...

The vast vast majority of parents like myself don't go with our daughters to the local boys GAA club and seek for her to play there, hence why the "LGFA" was formed in the first instance! Likewise, I don't bring my son to the local girls LGFA sessions and seek for him to play there either.

Horses for courses and all that goes with it. Common sense really, though lately the 'common' part of that phrase has really come into question! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

The way some people (like you obviously) go on you'd think transgender people were the only people in the world who have to deal with disappointment in life and they need to be protected from that above all else.

Fact is everyone has to deal with not being able to have exactly what they want at various times in life and just get on with it.

When a situation like this arises where there is a conflict then a trade off must be made.Seeing as biological women are at greater risk in this situation than transgender women, seeing as there are more of them (by a very large degree) than transgender women then it is quite sensible to make a decision based on what is more preferable for biological women which means transgender women shouldn't be allowed to play organised competitive womens sports.

If they really need to play football they can organise and participate in competitions amongst themselves

I never suggested you were transphobic. I do 100% beleive that parents of trans children and parents who believe in providing an inclusive environment for trans children would have zero interest in interacting with you.

Form there own club or organisation? I'd be amazed if it was even possible to field a team of 15 transgirls of any age in Ireland tbh.

No, but there are parents who want to bring their transdaughter to play sport and the reality is, playing with the other girls team is far more appropriate. Despite you disagreeing. As I said, you can take you daughter to soccer and completely avoid LGFA. Everyone's a winner.

I agree. The LGFA have made their decision, and until they change it then you and everyone else need to just accept the decision and accept that you can't have everything you want in life. Jack Daw, you're not the only person in life who has to deal with disappointment so time to just get on with it and accept LGFA decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Are you the chairperson of the LGFA or Transgender club??

You seem to have a real problem with the fact that males have an opinion on the LGFA, well tough sh1t , all men will have an interest and will comment and will stop their daughters playing against boys/men transitioning to girls/women and playing against girls/ladies.

The LGFAs decision will bite them, they are already way behind GAA and Camogie in regards to operation and running their game, this is further example, and it will be shown to be a bad decision in the near future.

This wont work out well.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

This makes no sense whatsoever.

Rugby is a sport where 12 stone guys have full-on collisions with 20 stone guys. And yet you think your sister shouldnt have to tackle a man on a GAA football field.

Overall, I have no view on the LGFA decision, but I think its just typical that on the boards.ie GAA page you can go the guts of 10 years without any proper discussion on LGFA competitions, matches or players; but then this thing comes up and people (i.e. the male population of the Boards GAA forum) are all over it.

Never mind what you think, what does your sister think. You dont have skin in the game here.

Nope.

I have no problem with males having an opinion. It's the internet, any idiot can have an opinion about anything.

What I do find strange is that men, especially the men on this thread, seem to think they should be the ones to decide how a women's association should operate and what policies and procedures they should have in place. I have no idea why you feel you be the one to decide the transgender position of the LFGA.

As I said, i have no problem with you, or any other man here, stopping your daughters playing. The fac is I'd be very much of the opinion that the LGFA, and other parents with kid's in the LGFA, will be much happier with that too.

How exactly are they way behind Camogie? They have more members and more people attending their games. The reality is this decision won't have any negative impact on the LGFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The reason I mentioned it is because the topic would never even come up for discussion and it rarely ever does in sport because there's no advantage to the trans person in this situation by joining. That's one of my issues with male to female trans being allowed to play sports with women they have a clear unfair advantage right away.

"What I do find strange is that men, especially the men on this thread, seem to think they should be the ones to decide how a women's association should operate and what policies and procedures they should have in place. I have no idea why you feel you be the one to decide the transgender position of the LFGA."

Why do you find it strange? You really have a problem with (what you think are) men on here having an opinion on such a massive decision by a sporting organisation that their daughters/sisters are playing.

"As I said, i have no problem with you, or any other man here, stopping your daughters playing. The fac is I'd be very much of the opinion that the LGFA, and other parents with kid's in the LGFA, will be much happier with that too."

Your opinion is that the LGFA wouldnt mind losing girls/ladies playing GF due to their decision to allow, what you say ,would be a very small minority of trans people ?

Doesnt make sense....

"How exactly are they way behind Camogie? They have more members and more people attending their games. The reality is this decision won't have any negative impact on the LGFA."

Source ?

"I have no problem with males having an opinion. It's the internet, any idiot can have an opinion about anything."

You are so triggered about it .....while also being a bit passive aggressive..... 😂

You might have an opinion; the LGFA think differently. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JohnJoFitz

Are people allowed disagree with anything now or should they just move on once decisions are made? Just as the decisions was made, so can it be reversed.

Stupid post. Maybe you should move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Its blindingly obvious that members ie actually females should have been balloted and given a chance to discuss the move but no, thats not the world in 2023, those that shriek loudest more often than not get their own way. The reason why it wasnt balloted was because it hadn't a snowballs chance in hell of going through if it did because most right thinking people can see how utterly preposterous it is.

Its pandering by the LGFA, no more, no less.

Im involved in underage coaching (ages 9 and under) at my local club and had to do a safeguarding course. One of the core principles is that as a male, I would not enter female changing areas unaccompanied. But now a lad with his twig and berries intact can do just that because he decides to wear a dress? Fcuk that tbh. The number of boys vs girls training is around 75% to 25%, its already difficult to get young girls to engage with sports but now this nonsense is thrown out there its going to do long term damage to the association.

Of course they are allowed disagree.

Look - have your big rant on social media about it; that should really change things, if thats what you want...🙄

People can rant and argue about it on social media and also bring it up with the local clubs etc. Maybe a backlash will change things - who knows.

Fancy that - doing multiple things at a time.

It seems very controlling. I have a sister, if she has a problem with things she voices her opinion on them. I mean, if it's such a massive decision the women members of LGFA will all speak out and make it clear that its not acceptable. I don't think they need you do it for them, but here you are, insisting on doing it.

How does it not make sense? Which part can't you grasp? The reality is the numbers they will lose due to this decision is going to be tiny, the numbers they gain will probably actually be a lot more. But you think differently, and are of the opinion that membership to LGFA will fall off a cliff and nearly everyone will leave over such a "massive decision". We will find that out very soon.

You made the original claim, I let you provide a source for that first.

Triggered? Me? Oh the irony. Your the own who's started a thread about an organisation that you aren't member of, aren't allowed be and member of, and have no interest in being a member of but are giving out about the decisions this organisation make. But yep, I'm the ones who triggered. Lolol.

• Advertisement

They can also leave the LGFA. Which, obviously they will all do in droves now too.

Good to see. Fair play to Dainelle for encouraging and being supportive that the LGFA are letting transwomen play in the LGFA.

It may certainly hasten the end of that useless organization and they will join the GAA properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The reality is the numbers they will lose due to this decision is going to be tiny, the numbers they gain will probably actually be a lot more.

Doubt

🤣 🤣

Excellent , thanks for the insightful post...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Women will leave the clubs or refuse to join. Players will come out in the media or on social media and voice there issues on this to be honest even if there's a big amount of it the LGFA might not bother there arse backtracking because there clearing trying to score some points with someone or something here which is all that seems to matter.

They obviously didn't consult the members of the clubs first otherwise this wouldn't of passed but here's the important part trans people in this country and more than likely world wide will never ever be fully excepted or treated how they feel they should be and **** like this goes a long way towards keeping that a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Greenspurs has to make decisions to protect his CHILD. It's his legal duty, which you understand as a parent I presume?

Is your sister a child? If she is do you owe her the same duty of care as a parent owes their child?

You might want to educate yourself on the contribution made to LGFA by men. Start with the Hall of Fame list.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

If only the LGFA had consulted the experts here on boards.ie before making this critical decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Interesting comment. I assume then that you dont have a daughter?

Because if you dont, then it is simply not possible for you to get it. The safety and protection of ones children is an inherent and biological desire for most species, from humans to nearly every other animal on the planet.

I have a daughter that will be starting training with the underage group shortly. I am horrified at the thought of her being put at additional risks by being forced to come up against individuals that have inherent biological advantages. I also have a son that started with the underage group last year. I would be similarly horrified if he was forced to play against kids older and more developed than him. Its the exact same scenario for trans athletes. Boys generally are built bigger than girls, thats not some makey uppy thing like gender idealogy, its scientific fact. A boy going through / gone through puberty will generally be bigger and stronger than the average female. By allowing men to play against women it has obvious unfair advantages from an athletic perspective and it also presents additional risks to participants because of these unfair advantages. I genuinely struggle to comprehend how people cannot see this.

Advertisement