Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Found it on youtube. search for survivors 1975. something to watch for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,805 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The premise is morbidly funny looking back at it now.

"apocalyptic plague pandemic, which was accidentally released by a Chinese scientist and quickly spread across the world via air travel"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I certainly caught myself wondering about their liberal use of torch batteries, which dont keep for 20 years, or the village with their use of street lighting. How many identical looking bulbs can you scavenge?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Caught up on episodes 5 and 6 this week.

Was delighted when Kathleen got killed off tbh....if that had been The Walking Dead we'd have spent 10 episodes watching what a loony she was.

So that was a refreshing and welcome change.

Overall I'm ok with the tone and pacing (have zero familiarity with the game so watching this purely as a TV show).

The sniping scene was pretty cool although maybe mildly stretching credibility that Ellie escaped without a scratch from a swarm of zombies.

So still on board with the show and the choices/direction etc although I feel it may be a tad over-hyped/over-rated right now

No one brought that up until now. The question was around them not having guns/ammo and the making of such.

PS Whiskey is simple, and I mean simple, to make. Good whiskey? nope

America would have plenty of moonshiners making all kinds of gut rot

• Advertisement

Even now the Americans haven't figured out how to make good whiskey 😝

Batteries are definitely a bit of a plot hole. Even rechargeables have a shelf life.

Also there is always a crazy lack of bicycles in zombie shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Evade

Just as they have plenty of gun nuts making their own reloads

And they probably have at least an idea of how to make their own. I'm not saying it would be a wake up in the morning deciding to make ammo for the first time and have a batch by lunch job but established communities shouldn't have much issue. Jackson operate a hydroelectric dam after all, I imagine that's a bit more involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Just caught up with episode 3.

I can see why it was so highly acclaimed, absolutely outstanding television. Didn't think I'd ever find myself sobbing during an apocalyptic show, but there you go.

Loving the series so far....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And Jackson community had lots of guns and presumably ammo along with them.

The 4 scruffy raiders wandering about the university didn't.

This all sounds logical to me, to be honest I don't know what the debate is? The larger communities have ammo that they may have been producing themselves, outside in the wilds it is a diminishing resource. Thats how I would expect things to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

There is also the fact that FEDRA is still a thing, even if they are in pockets across the country they are still effectively a government that could easily have the resources to have ammunition and raw materials factories to produce more bullets

For all we know those "raiders" might be absolute amateurs who were themselves raided a few days before.

We have been conditioned by these shows to assume all raiders are hardened badassess. Most groups would be no more amateur than those old folks in the cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Honestly after all the guns / bullets / gunpowder / machinery / history / tooling / types of ammo posts..

I kinda want to see a sketch of these 4 to 6, was it?, raiders all having a debate about whether they should go to the effort of making bullets 😁 "I heard they make em over in Ogdenville, North Haverbrook and Brockway" 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Episode 6 & 7 was quite poor in comparison to the high of episode 5. Gonna be hard to do the temainjng story justice but I am hopeful for last two episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They nailed it again. They did a great job of adapting a hugely important part of the game (well, the DLC) but also changing just enough of it to better suit the show and take out some of the more unnecessary bits (though would have loved to have seen the brick-throwing competition... there haven't been nearly enough bricks thrown in the show so far....).

Terrific performance from Bella Ramsey. Some real heavy lifting required in this episode but they were pitch perfect throughout imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

We used to make our own bangers in school - charcoal - sulpher - saltpeter in a 60-30-10 ratio (not sure which order)

Charcoal was easy, so was the saltpeter (it grows on walls in sheds etc - I can imagine itd be in huge supply after 20 years of abandoned buildings)

The only thing we were worried about getting was sulpher, which we could get in the chemist but hated going in for because whoever was behind the counter always gave you the "your up to no good" eyes.

Mix it all up and you have a big boom boom. - Ahhh - the jolly rogers cookbook - dems were the days

You cook wood. Just as a general where would they find obscure things in the apocalypse answer there was a book published in the US until 2006, it's online now, called Thomas that lists manufacturers, what they manufacture, and their address.

That was a pretty good adaptation and even though I knew what was coming it still got me. I have no idea how they'll wrap it up in two episodes unless

they leave the OR scene as a cliffhanger. I'm kind of curious as to how they'll portray the doctor. He was almost giddy at the thought of vivisecting Ellie's brain for a slim chance of getting a cure in the first game and pretty heavily retconned in the second to be almost saintly and definitely doing the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Wow Ramsey was amazing this weeks episode. Truly outstanding lights up the screen. Great episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not the greatest episode this week. The last ten minutes was good that's about it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thought it was another top notch episode myself. Bella Ramsey is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Enjoyed the show till this point but that was 55 minutes I won't get back, was bored throughout and can't see what it added to the overall plot.

And people talked about episode 3 as a Bottle episode, wait till they see this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

A slow episode but unfortunately it was true to the game, so if people want adaptations that are faithful to the source material this is what they get. it was a good representation of the nightmare of being immune while those you love are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

That’s another great episode. The acting was better then many of performances that were nominated for an oscar this year. Very naturalistic performances.

. I like this combination of flashbacks before the outbreak, bottle episodes and episodes that are pushing the narrative forward. World building, character development and plot, ticks all the boxes for me. Also great cinematography and musical choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

7: That was alright. Not the strongest episode I felt. Didn't feel like they went as deep as some of the others in the character development.

Maybe the mall was expensive onto itself.

Think I was most struck at the end with the Woah, Joels still alive reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭crushproof

Big fan of the show but jaysus that's almost a hour of my life I won't get back. Haven't played the game but while I appreciate them sticking to the plot they surely could wrapped up the mall in 20 minutes or so and then move onto whatever is next.

Also may be pedantic but I don't recall using the word screenshot until way past 2003!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The episode was made very well as usual , other than that though it was mind-numbingly boring and I was glad when it ended.

In the dlc Left Behind , which was really good , the story went back and forth. You would scavenge for supplies while Joel was half dead form getting rebar'd. Then go back for Riley bits and back to Joel again etc. It worked that way. It fell flat as an episode of TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Gang, can we possibly agree once and for all that the only time spoiler tags are required are for game discussion? I thought it was a given that episode discussion is in play as soon as it airs US time but Slydice keeps spoiler tagging TV discussion and it seems to be confusing the hell out of everyone as to if and when tags are required. A bit of mod clarity would be great.

Advertisement