Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGFA welcome Transgender players.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

so much to go through ..........

"It seems very controlling" .... you deffo have issues with us bold men on here giving an opinion.......

Do you have issues with so many men running LGFA clubs? Coaching kids? Lining pitches ? Hanging nets ? Or do the ladies do all that too?

"You made the original claim, I let you provide a source for that first."

So you made up a claim, just to base your argument on it ? Good man.

I gave an opinion that LGFA lag behind the Gaa and Camogie , you said "They have more members and more people attending their games."

But cant back it up ......

"Your the own who's started a thread about an organisation that you aren't member of, aren't allowed be and member of, and have no interest in being a member of but are giving out about the decisions this organisation make. But yep, I'm the ones who triggered. Lolol."

Imagine starting a thread in the GAA forum about the LGFA allowing transgender to play against girls/ladies...... 😲 😣

Shur there no interest there at all. Only women should have an opinion ... 🙄 😀

You have no legitimate points to make about the subject apart from you own bias against men having an opinion about this decision by the LGFA....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

but ...but....but..... but.... Men shouldnt be commenting ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

But I am not stopping him making a decision about his daughter. I haven't told him not to take his daughter out of the LGFA. Quite the opposite, I have only encouraged him, and any other parent with an issue, that they should all leave the LGFA if they have issue regarding the health and safety of their children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well done to the LGFA. It is great to see an inclusive an open-minded organisation when so many are still so small minded.

The same people saying this is bad are probably the ones that were happy when there was no Women playing Golf or Rugby etc.

It's not like there is going to be a huge influence and they do have a voting procedure for who can and can not join.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

So the only issue you have with the LGFA policy is that it's allowed at the u18 age level?

So is your sister a child and if not wtf has that to do with his duty as a parent to his child?

Other than to get a passive aggressive"controlling" dig in?

I don't have an issue with men volunteering to help put with the running of the LGFA. Would I have an issue with them thinking they have a god given right to decide how the LGFA operates? Absolutely.

I haven't made anything up, I just won't provide sources for you when you refuse to provide sourcs for your own claims. If you have an issue with the accuracy of my claim, Google it. Still waiting for the sources claiming camoige is better than womens football btw.

"So the" what? He just gave a big long explanation and that's what you take from it? The dishonesty is amazing.

If his concern is only for his daughter then he needs to remove the word "sister" from his post. He claimed his concern was for his daughter and his sister.

• Advertisement

That's the only thing worth taking from it tbh. I mean, it's hard to take anything he said that seriously when about five posts previously he has posted an article from an actually women GAA who encouraged transwomen to get involved in the sport.

As I have said many times, if this is such a massive health and safety issue for women in the LGFA they will make it known very very quickly, and they will all leave the LGFA due to those concerns.

STOP IT !!!!!!!

You are making sense.....

We need more knee jerk irrational denial of scientific facts and irreputable biological evidence ...

*sarcasm ...

What does the science say.

"Transgender women in the female category of sport: perspectives on testosterone suppression and performance advantage

Emma N Hilton, Tommy R Lundberg

Sports Medicine 51, 199-214, 2021"

"Accordingly, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) determined criteria by which a transgender woman may be eligible to compete in the female category, requiring total serum testosterone levels to be suppressed below 10 nmol/L for at least 12 months prior to and during competition. Whether this regulation removes the male performance advantage has not been scrutinized"

"We report that the performance gap between males and females becomes significant at puberty and often amounts to 10–50% depending on sport. The performance gap is more pronounced in sporting activities relying on muscle mass and explosive strength, particularly in the upper body. Longitudinal studies examining the effects of testosterone suppression on muscle mass and strength in transgender women consistently show very modest changes, where the loss of lean body mass, muscle area and strength typically amounts to approximately 5% after 12 months of treatment. Thus, the muscular advantage enjoyed by transgender women is only minimally reduced when testosterone is suppressed. Sports organizations should consider this evidence when reassessing current policies regarding participation of transgender women in the female category of sport."

The 10nm/L comes from the IOC with little scientific backing, much like the treatment in the Tavistock which was shut down with the lack of peer reviewed science backing medical interventions.

Once the adults in the room speak up postmodern horsesh1te tends to be seen for what it is.

The findings of the study would be obvious to anyone whoever played field sports and had any involvement with women's sports.

The 10nm in twice the new IAAF level of 5nm FOR A NON CONTACT SPORT

https://worldathletics.org/news/press-release/eligibility-regulations-for-female-classifica

Anyone got a link to the science used by LGFA coming to their decision? It'll be an easy case for some personal injury lawyer...

Did they consult those on here that are in favour of it ?

The players did not vote on that.

It was put into the governance section of their website... No press release (that i can find from the lgfa about it)...

If there was a ballot held for the members , im not so sure it would pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

"I don't have an issue with men volunteering to help put with the running of the LGFA. Would I have an issue with them thinking they have a god given right to decide how the LGFA operates? Absolutely."

When men volunteer, contribute financially and are members of the LGFA they have every "god given right" to partake in decisions made alongside any woman who also engages with the LGFA.

Just like women who volunteer, contribute financially and are members of the GAA they have every "god given right" to partake in decisions made in the GAA.

You wanted equality, lap it up.

??? 😣

"I don't have an issue with men volunteering to help put with the running of the LGFA" -

"Would I have an issue with them thinking they have a god given right to decide how the LGFA operates? Absolutely."

Jesus you are hard to work out....

You want men to coach/line pitches/hang nets etc but you have a problem with them having a say in the running of the organisation?? Is that at Club level ? Intercounty ? or at the LGFA itself?

Obvioulsy the LGFA itself has no issue with men and their "given right to decide how the LGFA operates" as their management committee 'currently maintains a 50:50 gender representation and will strive to maintain this ratio as part of this recruitment process.' (lgfa website)

So they dont seem to mind a males imput into the running of the organisation, BUT YOU DO ??

So , i reckon the real problem for your angst and ire, is that you , yourself, dont like men being in power ?

You have masked the original topic with ramblings about male power .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Yes, the ones who think men shouldn't be competing against women in physical sports are exactly those that stopped women playing sports in the first place. That's some fantastic mental gymnastics to show how virtuous you are and how evil anybody that questions your view is. Straight from the playbook on everything these days.

If one fairly average male sprinter decided to do a Lia Thomas they would set a world record that would never be beaten by a woman. But sure that's grand - the people that would dare question that are anti woman!

UK study of 15 sports included

"Relevant considerations not addressed in most policies included pre- versus post-pubertal athletes, justification for testosterone thresholds, the length of time out of competitive action (if any) for transitioning athletes, the irreversible advantage from male puberty (if any), the responsibility for and frequency of follow up for hormonal testing and the consequences for athletes outside set testosterone limits.".

Australian study of 11 sports

"This review presents a summary of recent biological, sport science, and endocrine research on performance and physical changes in transitioning transgender adults. Although such research is in its infancy, findings point to ongoing superiority of TW's performance and innate biological advantages compared to cis women, despite lowered testosterone with hormone suppression therapy. We assert that sports bodies should pay greater heed to the biological facts and continue to seek research to support participation policies. In the meantime, we argue that the current transgender participation guidelines be withdrawn, and that sports organizations explore other fairer solutions to facilitate inclusive participation for trans athletes."

See what happens when fluffy post modern theory runs into the real world of hard science.

That took all of 10 mins on Google scholar, looking forward to the comprehensive studies on which the LGFA based this decision.

I posted similar findings from FINA, IRFU, and the UCI about Transgender players in their sport.

(Page 2 post 47).

and the 'dangers' of trans women sharing changing rooms with girls/ladies ...

(Page 2 post 60) .

But... But....But ....But..... yee men cant comment.... ....

• Advertisement

And how many men here who fall in that category?

I've hard to work out because you seem to have difficult understanding what I have typed. I have no idea where I said I wanted men to do all that, please do hightlight where I said that. I have a massive issue with men, like yourself, who have no interest, no investment, and no direct involvement in telling other peolle what they can and cant do.

Here's a link to a current LGFA player says that is happy to welcome transwomen to participate in LGFA.

Why exactly do you think you have the right to tell she is wrong, and the right to tell her what she can/can't do with her own body? I'm genuinely fascinated to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I think you're reading that wrong,

Danielle did however encourage transgender people to become involved in the GAA in other capacities.

“The GAA is an inclusive organisation,” she said. “We have come on leaps and bounds and I would encourage transgender people to become involved in the GAA at all other levels.”

Probably means along the lines of coaching / line pitches/hang nets etc...

You might want to actually read that link.

No comment on the science of course

Possibly, but in the the part they directly quoted she clearly states "levels". The use of the term "in other capacities" was used by the newspaper themselves, not Danielle. Now the term levels nearly always means age or grades in a sports context.

So when someone says "involved in all other levels" I take that to mean, other age levels.

I did, you might want to read it aswell.

Why would I comment on the science? It has no relevance to me.

I coach Camogie , and help with ladies GF. U16 and Minor.

Next 'caught ya" question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its not going to affect me in any way so don't have a strong opinion either way but I'd imagine its not going to be great for the player who gets a shoulder from someone who was born a man.

Jesus.....

You are deflecting so far from the issue now you just want to make it about quotes from previous posts......

Ok. W

You said in post number 159:

"I don't have an issue with men volunteering to help put with the running of the LGFA" - Im supposing you meant day to day running of clubs? the coaching/lining/nets etc ...

and in in the same paragraph you then posted :

"Would I have an issue with them thinking they have a god given right to decide how the LGFA operates? Absolutely." I took that as in the legislature and committee running of the organisation?

So please tell what you meant by the lines in bold then , if i misunderstood you ?

And then you are getting so irate you are guessing , because im a man, i have no interest or involvement? You are totally wrong kid.

Re The Link.

That lady does not say she is happy to welcome trans women to participate.... Did you even read it ?!?!?

She says “We have come on leaps and bounds and I would encourage transgender people to become involved in the GAA at all other levels.” ie not on the pitch playing !

First line of the piece :

"A member of a Donegal GAA club has hit out at the LGFA over its ruling to allow transgender girls to play Gaelic games."

• Advertisement

And you don't think those ladies you couch GF should be allowed make a decision on their own health and safety? Very interesting.

Also, since you're involved in both so indepthly, you should easily be able to provide a source that says camoige is much bigger than ladies football. Still waiting on that one.

Advertisement