Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three Pines - Amazon Prime - Alfred Molina

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,977 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Watched the first few episodes of this and it is a well acted and intriguing murder mystery and I think if you watched and enjoyed Cardinal you will enjoy this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,364 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Searched but didn't find a thread before posting in the "Anybody Watching this" thread.

Liking it so far. Will they keep up the pattern they're going with of a double episode each week covering separate cases with the ongoing missing person case? Maybe the last 2 will wrap up that storyline as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,642 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I've only seen the first 2-parter but that's how I thought it would play out. Well first I thought they were going to stretch out the two plots over the 8 episodes but I like that the 'A' plot was wrapped up at the end of this 2-parter. Each set of episodes seems to be based on a book and the ongoing case is new for the TV show from what I can gather online whilst trying to avoid spoilers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

To repeat what I said in the other thread, the way this is going it'll make the town from Murder She Wrote look safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,977 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A really good series overall a new murder mystery every two episodes and a season long arc throughout the eight episodes.

That final scene WOW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,642 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I hope it gets decent ratings. I like that approach of a 'mystery of a week' with a background arc. I wish more series would follow that template instead of dragging the death of the arc out over 6-8 episodes with red herrings and subplots.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Jean-Guy reminds me of Billy Bob Thornton.

Liked the series overall. The format and release schedule works well.

I will say the whole thing with solving the main case using the pine needles seemed very random. Though I know other series do similar things with being able to track the killer by some substance found on a shoe that can only be found in a specific place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Enjoyed this overall. Thought it really picked up for the last two episodes which were the best of the bunch.

Ended on a cliffhanger. Would definitely watch another season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,600 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I enjoyed it but didn't like the ending.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watching the first three episodes of this and really enjoying it. The setting has been really effectively presented, along with its residents, and the lead detective being a generally nice guy a remarkably fresh take. A decent and empathetic human being, has a loving & functional marriage? A rare pearl among fictional detectives!

Plus the structure of 2 part mysteries, with a larger one threaded across, is a great move I wish more TV shows would do. These little mini-arcs rather than the Case of The Week approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,359 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I enjoyed it overall...some of the acting was errr variable...but Molina was terrific.

I would definitely watch more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finished it up in the end, and really enjoyed it across the season. The 2 part episode structure of each crime was a small stroke of genius, with the throughline story of the murder of the First Nations girl quite understated and effective.

Would love to have another season, so hopefully this was a low key success for Amazon. Though I think just with this season alone they stretched the credulity of that small village being a hub for murder.

Plus, all the French and generally less intense energy of this Canadian show made such a nice counterpoint to the usually overcranked American equivalents.

Oh god damnit. And it ending on a cliffhanger - the worst sorts of cancellation. Why does stuff I watch keep getting cancelled? Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The author of the books:

I'm disappointed to hear this.

Any chance of there being a reprieve or do Amazon usually stick to their guns on these decisions?

If those stats are true then it really makes the decision more baffling. Not like the show could have been expensive to make, Molina being the only "name", while audiences obviously tuned in.

It's so weird. Back in the days of network TV, #1 hits weren't those first on the chopping block - so I'd love to know what the show didn't achieve in the eyes of Amazon Programming.

It does seem a bit odd, maybe the show skewed older than the age group they are after? (It wouldn't be the same general audience for the boys etc).

Maybe it hit decent numbers at start but didn't maintain good viewing figures for period after its release. I don't think Amazon gave it much of a push unfortunately.

Perhaps, but you'd imagine then Amazon would want as broad a demographic sampling of subscribers as possible? Maybe the drop-off is more likely, and Penny got the wrong end of the statistical stick.

Either way it was a big shame; it was a very old-fashioned style of show, in all the right ways.

Advertisement