Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I must try Bord Gais again, my contract is just up and was on to them to see what they could offer to stay and they only offered me 8% on gas and electricity and wouldn't budge on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Just be sure it’s actually 20%, typically what they offer would also include all of the direct debit and paperless discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Closing bill from EI & estimated - 32 days

1st BG bill was 189 euro for a month approx - jeezlouise!

with BG allegedly I am on a 33% discount so my unit rate is 32c - 64 days

i am using an electric heater in Shed/home office WFH 50% of the time. its off now & let the flu commence!!!

BTW - TLI are installing smart meters all over county galway on behalf of ESB (dont think you have an option to refuse it).

any smart plan is worse than what i am on currently according to BG rep.

so why did i bother getting it???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Apparently you can refuse the smart meter. I believe you have to inform ESB Networks that you don't want it installed. You will have to provide them with your MPRN.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I just received Gas Bill of €500 (for two months).

Usually it was never more than €270 for the same usage.

Does this sound normal?

I am with EI since Aug 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I queried that exact point multiple times, I was assured each time that the total will be 20%, the paperwork has arrived and is unclear, but I intend to talk with a different rep on Monday just to make sure!

There's no harm in getting it installed, depending on your usage pattern it could work out, but in general it's a mystery to me just why the offers are so unattractive when they've been given a clear directive to get people onto these plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

I'd agree with getting a smart meter but stay on 24 rates at least for a while to get an idea. You can then read the meter to see what you actually used. Bonkers calculations are way off (at least for me) & seem to be aimed at promoting smart plans more. Their calcs show 9 % peak rate, 40% night & rest day. MY usage has been 18% peak & night & rest day rate.

Doing the calcs myself the smart plans are starting to become the cheaper option so I May change over in the next month when my current discount is due to end. For me atm the bord gais 1 free w/e day looks the cheapest option but bonkers says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

Yes, forget the price for a moment. Download the bill and look at units m3 used this 2 month period. Then look at same bill last year. Units m3 used will be very similar.

Gas is nearly 100% more expensive than this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Did it there just last week. Took about 30 secs. All they do is simply remove you from the list.

What do you expect in this country? Our gov would sell its soul to the devil. Nothing will ever change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

Have normal urban meter, no EV or night saver. Any reason to not accept a new smart meter??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭masterboy123

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

No reason to not accept it. Just don't "activate" it or switch to a smart plan unless you're certain it saves you money. You can never switch back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

UK graph

Below pre war prices, the first major increase in my electricity bill was march 2022. I think there was another large increase in sept/Oct. If we got back to the march price and possibly fix for the year it would be significant relief

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭in2dark

They will not decrease, they prefer having record profits and paying the "extra" tax the government is planning to impose. They are both happy, the government and the companies. Only ones not happy are the households

Time will tell, but the smart money would be on prices falling very significantly.

Without wanting to derail this very useful thread, private companies might be happy with high prices and profits, but they certainly don't create anything but problems for governments. That's why govts all around Europe are subsidising consumers and businesses to the maximum extent possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

We renewed with Energia in March last year, 40% discount on the electricity unit rate and 39% on the gas, plus €225 credit. Got lucky with the timing and if only these deals were still available.

Looking now SSE appear to be the best for us, 15% discount on both, no credit. A sign of the times.

Overall actual bills (any credits not factored in) will be approx €875 more compared to the last 12 months based on same usage. Up from €4.35 a day for gas & electricity to €6.75.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

https://www.independent.ie/news/revealed-first-provider-cuts-electricity-prices-pressure-mounts-on-rest-to-follow-as-greens-delay-extra-200-energy-credit-42349778.html

Revealed: First provider cuts electricity prices, pressure mounts on rest to follow as Greens delay extra €200 energy credit

• Registered Users Posts: 38 delerium1

I see the Greens have blocked another electricity credit in the spring mini budget. God love them, where would we be without them. Sure we don't mind paying double for our electricity or coal or gas, it's all the Russians fault. We love using public transport to get to work that's if the bus turns up. And us naughty people who have the cheek to use an aircraft for travel, well we should be put into the stocks and pelted with rotten veg for our sins.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭in2dark

I wonder how the 7% of the general population who voted for them in the last elections feel like... I also wonder what their next % will be.

Anyway the reduction is welcomed but it is super tiny and not representing what the wholesale reality is. The joke of future prices locked is not a joke anymore. We easily pay the highest prices in Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 delerium1

As most of their TDs are Dublin based, I think it's 8, that 7% number does not tell the whole story. I know that the Green lost their expences in our constituency polling just2%. Doubt they have much joy in the rural and farming areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Does anyone have the number for the Energia retention team, not the renewals team?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Dear Customer,

Our electricity rates will be decreasing by 15% from 1st March 2023. The reduction is as a result of a decrease in the cost of wholesale energy prices which impact electricity prices. Exact changes will vary depending on your current price plan and usage pattern. Please find your new rates here.

As your energy partner, we are committed to helping you and your business manage any changes to your energy costs. We will continue to keep our prices under constant review.

Please visit our Business Support HUB here for the latest information on government supports, SEAI grants and energy saving advice.

With secure and immediate 24/7 access to your business account(s), our Business Online portal can generate detailed reports that allow you to manage your costs, better understand your energy usage and view your bills online. You can register for Business Online here.

If you have any further queries, our business support team is here to help. You can contact us on 1800 372 787 (9.00am – 5.30pm, Monday - Friday) or email business@electricireland.ie.

Yours sincerely,

Dermot McArdle

Head of Business Markets

I just received this email from Electric Ireland. It's for a business account.

I wonder will they follow suit in the domestic market?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

They get you every which way, if you try and save/economise using less electricity as every campaign advises they slap you with a "Supplementary Standing Charge" doubling the existing standing charge. How does it cost them so much more to deliver less electricity on existing fixed infrastructure.

Criminal how standing charges were allowed increase inline with unit rates which are at least market driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

yes it is annoying for sure. I was checking the price of units from 2019 and the standing charges, and its four times more expensive now on both. Its incredible how wild such an essential market can be.

I upgraded my gas boiler to an A rated energy efficient boiler. I'm using less gas then ever but paying more than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

That has really annoyed me too! Cut down my gas usage (LPG tank) cos you know cost and the government ads continually telling us too, not that they were my main motivation and lo and behold I now end up on a higher cost per unit because my usage has decreased! It's very unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

So they've hedged different prices for business customers... 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Has anybody ever had issues getting a copy of their contract? I have switched to a pinergy EV plan as great FIT of 25cent and 7.75 between 2-5am, where ove 90% of our energy is used. THe disadvantage is their level paying thing. I've emailed a few times asking for a copy of my contract as I'd like to see the formula for level pay calculation for example to ensure my FIT credit is acknolwleged. They give me a link to the T&C's on their website, but that's not my contract witht them It has loads of things relating to prepay accounts for example. Is it just me or is it very odd to be told you are in a contract but that you can't see what contract you are in? I'm no legal boffin but surely they can't hold you to a contract that they wo'nt show you?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

I'm on level pay with energia. They don't use a formula. When I signed up they set it way too low so I had a big negative balance, then they over compensated & I ended up with a big credit balance. I just requested a refund of 275, my balance is ~,+300 again a month later & I got a letter saying they are raising it.

They really don't seem to have a clue. Will be switching soon so will get a big refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

I have noticed alot more adds appearing for switching in recent weeks. On the SSE airtricity website I see welcome credit of 150 euro and 10% discount. Other tarrifs are 15%. Standards rates are still high but it could be the start a reducing pricing over the coming weeks

Advertisement