Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Sam Prendergast is a star.

That try is directly from a 50/22 he kicked from his own 10 metre line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Prendergast is pure class, will definitely get senior caps and probably a lot.

That was an incredible phase of play. Prendergast with a cross field kick inside his own 22 and the backs offload 4 times to make it to Italy's 22. Brilliant attacking rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

What’s the story with Anagu?

Injured or unselected?

Wasn't massively blown away by what I saw of him thus far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Surely the Italian 7 should have been sin binned for that. Great attack from Ireland.

• Advertisement

Subbed pretty early v Wales and not picked since

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Outstanding first half against a very decent Italy team. Night and day from the Wales game, the team really seems to be coming together nicely now.

What can you say about Prendergast? Could we convince Sexton to stay for about another year beyond what he's expected to? Because I don't think it will take much longer than that for this lad to be ready to take over the jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I was just thinking that the 4 or 5 outhalves who are in the senior frame for Ireland now, other than Sexton, have about 2 or 3 years to have themselves a good career for Ireland or they'll be feeling the heat from this man.

Prendergast's constant energy and excellence and skill is really remarkable, even compared to the many wonderful Ireland players we've seen emerge in the professional era.

Petition to fire Daire O’Brien out of a cannon into the sun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,150 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What are the Scottish and Eng u20's like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Thats being kind. Awful...

Missed first half as out but great lead.

England leading Wales 22-14 and France Scotland just kicked off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well this is a joy to watch. An utter joy.

Never got into the Welsh game at all. His last action was a basic knockon in good attacking position, was subbed within a minute or 2 of that and the replacement winger hasn't looked back since coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ah yeah certainly wouldn’t be one to put down a young player

Just there was a lot of media attention and then the Wales match and nothing really since, was curious is all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The Scots lost to the English and beat the Welsh by a point. They are trailing 7-0 to the French at the moment.

The Scottish have been struggling at U20 for a few years. Their win against Wales this year was the first win since 2020.

Ireland vs England will be a grand slam decider imo. I think the French have better talen but they are rotating a lot which makes it harder to build cohesion.

That wasn’t grounded by Italy. Gunne got under the ball.

I think I saw a report after the match that he was injured but it wasn’t mentioned during the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Davidson, doesn’t have a notion, Irish player clearly tackled in the air, nothing ambiguous about it, but ignores it. missed lots of other infringements

Prendergast named motm again. Best thing about his game is how unbothered he looks about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Good win by Ireland. They are improving every game which is all you want really. Some really good prospects on this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Yea Prendergast has looked better and better, haven't seen much of his running game so far but his decision making around the contact area and how he invites players on to the ball is great to watch.

McErlean has really grown into the competition. Isn't the quickest but he at least has a step and can ride a tackle. Would say he's been comfortably our best outside back. Nicholson on the other hand looked uncommonly slow getting back for Italy's break away try, which isn't ideal for a winger. Could've been injured or just gassed by that point though.

Great to see McNabney put together a game like that, made loads of hard yards. Think he needs to sort out his tackling technique but it's a huge step up from last year. Quinn wasn't great imo. Munster coaches are clearly fans of his and he showed up well in preseason, but I think he's just not an openside so there's only so much he can do here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Scotland struggling badly against France. They look considerably weaker than Italy. Just need a professional performance in Glasgow and that should be a win. So a great chance now of a shot at a Grand Slam in Cork in a few weeks.

A lot of rugby to be played but it would be fantastic if both the Under 20s and seniors were going for Grand Slams at home on the last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Great Irish team - such talent coming through, in particular Prendergast , and real options now at 10 at senior level, including Byrne.

I remember when Argentina beat us at the '15 WC I was so jealous of ther young team , but we have really responded, and ther seams to be an endless supply of talent coming through - like the 2 McCarthys, Mangan and Prendergast

Another big win.

Prendergast is the star, but lots of good performers. Thought Henry McErlean was electric, created something almost every time he touched the ball.

Front row struggled against a big and physical Italian pack in the scrums but were busy around the field. Thought Gavin looked good again too, but I’d still rather see him at 12.

Agree on Ruadhan Quinn looking out of position or something here. I thought he was amongst the most talented players in this squad coming into the tournament (and still do) but he hasn’t been as effective as you feel he could so far.

Gleeson & McNabney are excellent players.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Makes you realise how extraordinary Wilkinson was to play for England at 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Advertisement

Prendergast’s kicking style is very interesting. Little or no wind up but huge distance. He was able to find grass at will tonight.

Advertisement