Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Nice bit of ducking the question again francie. But credit for accepting that the dup were pulled into line by the voters. Maybe the posters who were saying that we were following the dup will take it better from you.

I am still interested what you will say if the eu accept that

• they will not be allowed to impose compulsory adherence to Ecj?
    • they will not be allowed to check goods destined to stay in OWC?
    • ….and let me add another - they will not be allowed to control our vat or affect our ability to get Uk state aid?

these were all supposed to be non negotiable. I have no evidence we will win these but I am hearing positive noises.

now don’t duck the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Firstly.

I didn't 'accept' anything as I never said what you claim.

And I have already said, I have no issue whatsoever with flexibility with the Protocol.

The Protocol remains as does the Sea Border which is what you were told would happen.

Well there we go. Francie is riding two horses. He can’t lose. On a positive it’s good to hear he is happy if unionists get all they need. Would be great if the eu negotiators take the same view.

I take it you will also be happy and unsurprised if some wording in the protocol is changed and/or legal additions?

Even Bryson accepts that the current deal is being negotiated within the 'framework of the current Protocol'

• Advertisement

The media reflecting that public opinion in the UK is shifting? They've had enough of the negativity, duplicity and Never Never Never.

I didn’t say otherwise. I don’t think any of us really know. I was checking out that no matter what may be agreed that you will tell us ‘told you do’. People can see through you

Not just me downcow..many many people told you.

Because history shows us, Unionist or Nationalist, whether you identify as Irish or British, it matters not to the Tory's and British when it comes to their own selfish interests.

Let me fix that for you.

‘Because history shows us, Unionist or Nationalist, whether you identify as Irish or British, it matters not to the Dail and The EU when it comes to their own selfish interests.’

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

erm, you're being ridiculous now and I suspect that while you know it, you do need to save face for supporting a band of bigots who would rather see NI burn than have an assembley with a SF first minister.

Personally, I know that there is a strong likleihood that the next Dáil will be SF led. However, I wouldn't dream that any other party do what it can to block the choice of the people.

[FYI it's Dáil, not Dail (which is not a word)]

• Advertisement

I'm struggling to think of an example in either the Dáil or the EU where a ruling party have shafted another quite so publicly and routinely.

For instance, assuring them that they will not do something and then almost immediately doing the very thing they had promised not to.

And even if that did happen in the Dáil and EU, I am struggling to find an example of that betrayed party going back for more and holding the person who had betrayed them up as their potential saviour. I.E. Sammy Wilson

By all means give us an example of something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

I know you were taught to hate the British as many were, but I would not say the Tories and British are that selfish. After all, they and the EU and IMF bailed us out here not much more than a decade ago, and each and every year they give N.Ireland many billions of pounds. If I was a N.I. unionist, going from UK government to be governed by Republicans would be like going from the frying pan in to the fire.

Funny you would mention the UK 'loaning' us money. A prime example of the UK doing something which was primarily in their own selfish interests. They did it solely to protect their own banks. But I think everyone knows that.

The UK has also recieved huge amounts from the EU and was bailed out by the IMF just before they joined the EEC themselves. So not sure what the self deprecating point you are making is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Actually the UK was the second biggest net contributor to the EEC/ EU. And you say the UK helping to bail us out here after our Celtic Tiger went bust was "A prime example of the UK doing something which was primarily in their own selfish interests. They did it solely to protect their own banks.". Actually some of their own banks, like Bank of Scotland Ireland.... BOSI incurred losses of £10.9 billion (€15.6bn) after the financial crash in 2008, which was the “worst loss rate for the group overall” and it withdrew from the Irish market. BOS covered BOSI's losses.

Anyway, as regards N.I., they have and continue to pump many billions of pounds in to it each and every year. They defended the place in WW2. Good job they were not relying on us to keep Hitler from snatching N.Irish jews, gypsies, handicapped etc. So how can you claim they are selfish?

They give disability benefit to one in four adults in West Belfast. What other government in the world gives disability benefit to 1 in 4 adults ffs?

Actually the UK was the second biggest net contributor to the EEC/ EU. And you say the UK helping to bail us out here after our Celtic Tiger went bust was "A prime example of the UK doing something which was primarily in their own selfish interests. They did it solely to protect their own banks.". Actually some of their own banks, like Bank of Scotland Ireland.... BOSI incurred losses of £10.9 billion (€15.6bn) after the financial crash in 2008, which was the “worst loss rate for the group overall” and it withdrew from the Irish market. BOS covered BOSI's losses.

The UK profited from the loan they gave us and they wouldn't let us pay it back early. Not sure why you're trying to portray them lending money as some act of generosity.

As for the UK paying in to the EU, they did this because as a member you pay in to a fund. As a member of the EU, they also benefitted vastly. Something that is now becoming more and more evident in GB.

Anyway, as regards N.I., they have and continue to pump many billions of pounds in to it each and every year. They defended the place in WW2. Good job they were not relying on us to keep Hitler from snatching N.Irish jews, gypsies, handicapped etc. So how can you claim they are selfish?

They give disability benefit to one in four adults in West Belfast. What other government in the world gives disability benefit to 1 in 4 adults ffs?

I'm not sure what you think they should do in terms of paying to keep NI going. The place was pretty much an economic wasteland as a result of British policy. Thankfully this has changed over the last number of decades but, like every region in the UK, it still requires funding from central government.

As for your link to Hitler (FFS! 🙄), do you not think they did this to protect a backdoor attack into GB (as opposed to some idea of protecting the people of NI)?

mod: Anyhow, at this point, I feel that the thread is heading off topic so lets stay on topic. Any further posts deemed off topic will be deleted without notice.

I don’t jump up and down when you refer to my country as a point on the compass so I don’t know why the concern when I miss a tick above a letter. I was trying to use the correct name rather than saying parliament (which I assume is what it means). I honestly didn’t know there was a tick - and even if I did I don’t have the first clue how to type it.

Can't be great reading for the DUP/TUV this morning. Hopefully the British government and media are paying attention and realise that there are more than Unionists living in the north of Ireland. Perfectly expressed in this tweet

Question is why are the Dup, Bryson etc allowed to dominate the debate as if the protocol is the biggest issue amongst theNI population. It’s clear they represent a minority!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Kiteview

The figure of “300 roads” was always nonsense. Countries with border controls put them on their major primary roads, not every single laneway they have.

The reality is there are 14 places where National Primary Roads cross into or out of NI. 6 of those are accounted for by two such roads that run along and crisscross the border.

So, if we had to put up a hard border, we’d probably have been looking as somewhere between 8 and 14 border crossings depending on whether and how those two national primary roads were rebuilt.

And that is important because it may still happen should the British government ever decide to abandon the NI protocol as “unworkable”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

There will never be a hard border in Ireland again.

Okay, so if the U.K. announces tomorrow morning that the NI Protocol is unworkable and they will never implement it, we’ll leave the EU - destroying much of our economy in the process - rather than accept the hard border which would be needed to enforce the EU’s customs union laws, will we?

PS There has never been a hard border on the island of Ireland because the UK initially decided it was unthinkable to have a border between two parts of the Empire and that has continued ever since. They have occasionally seriously considered it since but always held off. That was them saving money, not anything else.

• Advertisement

PS There has never been a hard border on the island of Ireland

Are you quite sure about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Only matter of time before there is a hard border put up. Which is why we need to get ahead of the UK, isolate them from the European economy and let them deal with the fallout with their depleted and under resourced military.

Any country that returns dingys back to drown, leaves the EU, sends immigrants to Rwanda, threatens to leave the ECHR and rips up international agreements will have no issues tearing up the Common Travel Area with dear old Ireland.

The UK leaving the EU meant that the UK isolated themselves and have made themselves very economically vulnerable.

There won't be a hard border on this island. If the UK create a scenario that requires a hard border, the ensuing trade sanctions will harm the UK so much that they will reverse the scenario before any border infrastructure can be put in place.

So looks like we are moving to a ‘deal’. Much of what I said will be in it eg vat, state aid, no checks for ni stuff etc. but it has zero chance of being accepted by unionists. Some in the dup are intending to spin it as acceptable but the grassroots unionist community will not accept it. I don’t think the majority of the dup will wear it, but I could be wrong.

we have had the Ira attempt to murder a Psni officer the other night. The police believe that there was movement across the border after the shooting. Not sure if this was planned to remind eu/roi/Uk that they dare not offend republicans.

the chances of stormont coming back are now highly unlikely. I don’t know what the future holds. Alison morris (telegraph) says ira members prepared to be active are approx 100 and she says the uda members prepared to be active are in the 1000s.

I am genuinely unsure where this is going. I lived through a conflict here that had us all in our trenches. I fear that we may all end up back in our trenches. Scratch the surface here and you will find identity runs deep and eg drumcree, if it kicks off, us moderates will be dragged into camps.

sorty that’s a bit of a sad post for a Friday night.

Much of what I said will be in it eg vat, state aid, 

Not a great gain when the only thing your new party have achieved is not even one of their 7 tests.

Sunak either faces down the ERG or he doesn't, that is where it is at.

If he does then what he achieves is sidelining them. They will be useful to no man or woman if Sunak wins.

Strategically the DUP's eggs are in the ERG basket. If they stay out of powersharing with the ERG sidelined Sunak will do the Tory and just bring in direct rule, which will be effectively, joint rule. No nationalist will lose much sleep on that.

Even if the ERG prevail, the bad press for the DUP will be horrendous. Another deal gone and probably another PM...good luck with British reactions to that.

Yes.

Hard borders in most countries have passport controls, customs controls and frequently a physical security fence - usually no worse than you’d see in an industrial estate - as standard.

1 & 3 have never applied here and 2 did but was often circumvented with cross border smuggling being epidemic due to the lack of strict border controls.

With respect this is pedantry,

Everyone knows the context here when the term 'hard border' is used.

The problem with the “trade sanctions will hurt the U.K.” scenario is that enforcing trade sanctions against the U.K. would require a hard border with NI.

Right now, we don’t even have no plan for how we would set such a border up. That means the claim about imposing sanctions lacks credibility - as we can’t back our “or else” up.

Also, many of our non-multinationals exporters are still heavily focused on the U.K. market.

So any form of sanctions would hurt Ireland disproportionately to the rest of the EU. That begs the questions:

1) how weak or severe sanctions would we want? Weak would cause little damage here but equally would do little to dissuade the U.K. Severe might do so but would cause much more damage here.

2) Now imagine Spain asks for sanctions over a dispute about Gibraltar next week, how much damage would we be willing to endure here over a Gibraltar issue? Would we want weak or severe sanctions?

3) Based on your answer to 2), what would the likely response be from other EU countries, let’s say the Dutch, when faced with a demand for sanctions over the NI border?

4) And, remember when answering 3) that, many EU countries already operate hard land or sea borders with non-EU countries as a standard part of their EU membership. Why should they engage in a damaging trade war over something (a land border) they regard as normal?

5) If the UK digs its heals and refuses to budge, pointing to the reality of land borders as outlined in 4), what’s our exit strategy? Are we seriously going to engage in an interminable trade war over the issue, particularly when the majority in NI - who still overwhelmingly back being in the U.K. - are never going to thank us for doing so and could well become more hostile to us as a result?

It’s not pedantry.

Had a hard border - in the standard (international) meaning of the word, not the local made up meaning - ever been applied here, we wouldn’t have had the epidemic cross border smuggling or cross border terrorism that we did have.

It’s very hard to plan a high-speed crossing of a border if you’re going to face a physical barrier, passport control etc in the process.

• Advertisement

So basically the UK on their 5th? PM, without many minister, and with an economy in tattters, holds all the cards?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement