Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

She paying for a mortgage on the house she said so spending on machine not an option at moment, tbh she a breath of fresh air to watch, I wouldn't be able for the pikin she dose with my back , she is a tough nut though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

62 years ago....

Saying that. Tom Hanks had the same phone fighting U Boats on his destroyer 18 years previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭youllbemine

Class video, was that someone in the field trying to avoid the spray from tbw helicopter 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

They were suited up. Bar the head, eyes, ears and lungs. Most likely a gps for the helicopter in the field.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭youllbemine

Would be keen to find out the health status of that individual. The sprays back then wouldn't have been the best...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

I think she's addressed that before that she knows the job could be done alot easier but doing it that way is good exercise for her and saves on the gym membership. It's why she does it that way

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I'm in the same boat - a little bit of physical exercise is good for the body and mind.

Not the way to go long-term but once you're doing it by choice, then drive on.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Gym membership still better option for staying fit and healthy if given the choice.

Most farmers are bet by the time they're 70. You won't see many gym exercises for the back with similar form to forking silage.

I saw one of her videos pop up as a suggestion but didn't click in. They're all too samey. Thumbnail with picture of them with hand on their head with caption of something like "can anything else go wrong!?!"

She'll have the 135 upgraded once the youtube money starts coming in 🤑

Being an attractive woman probably means it's worth at least 30k subscribers anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭straight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Arnie disagrees

If I see any thumbnails with hands on their heads or mouth wide open I will not watch that video as a rule. I’ve noticed recently ads on YouTube are getting longer and often not able to skip, still beats watching tv with all their ads, rte often have ads running for 5 minutes.

If you're using a PC, get adblocker. I watch youtube on the firestick sometimes but I can't stand it with all the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Fair play to her, she has a great work ethic and the circumstances that lead her to taking over the running of it must have been very difficult.

But given that its a family farm for probably decades I am amazed at how little infrastructure there is. In one video she's spreading dung by hand with a fork out of a transport box. I thought that practice would have been gone in the 1970s, or 80s worst case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

It’s a very small farm worth noting. 6 cows and followers I think.

So the fact that have slatted tank (I think) is huge really. Small loader on the 135 would be life changing. Forking wet first cut silage is back breaking work.

she might even gets a tams grant for loader?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭farm to fork

I don't know about you but I inherited a farm from the ring feeder generation who felt cattle needed a good run of a place to thrive. I can relate to karen Moynihan, O'Sullivans farm and I Do Agri starting out taking over making decisions and trying to improve their farm. I remember hanging a gate or putting in a water trough making such a improvement around the place. First milestones of having a concrete floor in a bedded shed, putting in my first slatted tank upgrading the tractor etc. All these changes came with hard work and time. But unfortunately any further improvements will cost at least 50k or more. So fair play to all the youtubers putting their lives on the screen and allowing us to follow them. If they can get an extra income from Youtube fair play to them and I hope they will help develop their farms and achieve all their goals. I have one more bit of building to do and I will have the yard the way I want but at current prices I will have to wait a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

There’s still one youngish enough man, (late 40’s or so) around here that was doing it up to a year or 2 ago. Used to cut all his own hedges by hand too!

Thanks. And I'm in a similar position as yourself now: I've invested in a few bits and pieces (shed [kinda], tractor, water troughs, reseeding, hanging gates, etc.) but the next investment needs to be €40-50k on slurry storage.

The issues are (1) what enterprise will allow me to repay that type of loan, and (2) where to build that slurry storage. There are two possible locations. If I put it in one place, it means sticking with calf-to-beef or a variation on same, but if I put it in the other then it means dairy. Whatever I decide in the coming months will dictate what I do for the next 10-20 years.

Hence, there's a bit of uncertainty and flip-flopping in my videos at the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Watched her last night and i take my hat off to her.the way she s handling the whole situation is a credit to her and it was a nice change of pace from the intense pressure going on on our setups and many more dairy farms around the country.i even found myself saying to myself despite my misgivings about the economics of suckling that maybe everything isnt about money.

I think your best option is to seek out a partnership with a small dairy farmer in your locality. They would have the essential elements like equipment and an existing herd.

You would have a lot to offer in terms of additional land, know how and sheds for young stock.

This option would allow you to maybe retain your part time job as well.

I think it would be a good option as you avoid debt and still bring a lot to the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I thought it was interesting that Canning farms didn't need to cubicle train the heifers before they went back to their owner.

Don't know if that is the norm, but it would allow conversion more cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Just watching karen here now for first time from above mentions. Grand looking lassie, good delivery.

Lorraine killen should watch her & learn not to be such a poser on camera.

Bound to be a member on the forum here karen??

Picking stone's, jayus, she's like me self, she enjoys a bit of hardship, no harm in that if your making progress.

Twould warm a lads heart that grape work in the passage & the 135 firing up.no harm to gerry, ado & phil,its a great change to listen to this lassie.

Thanks. And I wouldn’t rule out a partnership.

But I’ve a cousin’s advice in the back of my head. He bought a machine for spreading peat under cows with a neighbour, but bought out his share after 12 months. Too much hassle and several near rows. He said never again and “Partners are only for dancing!”

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheDoc77

Hi all,

New lad started up on YouTube about a month ago, Fox’s Sugarloaf Farm, might be of interest to some. He’s putting up about 2 videos a week. He’s a suckler and sheep farmer from Wicklow so a bit different to the dairying. Also does some contracting.

It could work out though with the right dance partner. Like Michael Flattley and Jean Butler

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

A man locally who done very well out of farming had a saying that "the only thing in life you should join are you're hands". I'd definitely second his advice and try to do everything with my own resources and ask no one's permission for anything. Perhaps some people are cut out for partnerships but the majority aren't imo. Someone always ends up feeling hard done by or that there putting in the lions share ect. This only ends the one way and almost always in a falling out.

A friend of mine swears that his father's last words to him before he died were as follows. "Love everyone, trust few and always paddle you're own canoe". That's as good a mantra as any imo.

He’s good. No hiding the harder aspects of the game. He has pedigree stock as well so a different element

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

Advertisement