Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italy v Ireland Build Up Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We should win. It won't be a blowout and as somebody mentioned earlier that this is an ideal scenario for the squad

I would say we'll pull away in the second half. Probably, a 10 to 15 point win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭crossman47

I'm not at all sure about that now. Still hopeful but it will be tight. I can;t see us getting any free flowing tries with that backline. And I have no time for those seeing a silver lining in this for the RWC. Theres a championship to be won. Concentrate on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,344 ✭✭✭✭phog

All we have to do is win, win our remaining games and we don't need BPs.

Fwiw, I still think we can get a BP win against Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

'and I have no time for those seeing a silver lining on this for the RWC'

It obviously is. I'd imagine Farrell is really happy that his squad is being tested with late adversity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Murray and Casey have both played very well. JGP has not been missed at all tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭crossman47

It is but that is losing sight of the main objective just now which is to win a Championship and Grand Slam. Its not as if we have an over abundance of either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Experience is the teacher of all things.

People can wish to win a Grand Slam AND the RWC!

No questioning the benefits of how this Championship is unfolding in helping the team achieve both of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Under Andy Farrell we have scored 48, 50 and 57 against Italy. Not getting a bonus point would be a shock at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Italy may well win. Ireland lacking on pitch leaders - Sexton, POM, Murray and Ringrose are all captain material. Bench will be important in avoiding a loss - but some poor selection calls may come back to bite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

You wont find much argument from me. Delighted to see Murray getting it away from the ruck so quickly and making breaks.

Big opportunity for Casey to follow suit v Italy. Have to say I didn't think he did well against Wales but was better v France.

Park is the most suited to this sides style of play.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

And I have no time for those seeing a silver lining in this for the RWC. Theres a championship to be won. Concentrate on that.

I don't think it has to be one or the other, tho. Given the set of circumstances, I think it's possible to do both.

What poor selection calls?

I'd have the centre partnership different, but other than that, what jumps out at you?

We still have plenty of experience and plenty of leaders on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Italy won't win, Ireland will win comfortably. Honestly relax. Bookies at plus 22 have it about right.

Some clarity in Mike Catt's comments -

“Garry picked a bit of knock up on his calf last week,” he said following Ireland’s captain’s run in the Italian capital. “We’ve sort of managed it through the week and, unfortunately, I think due to the travel and everything yesterday, he’s woken up a little bit tight.

Asked if it was a longer-term injury, Catt replied: “No, definitely not. It literally just tightened up this morning. He hasn’t pulled anything or done anything like that. It’s obviously very disappointing for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I would have Murray starting. And perhaps we would have started him if Ringrose had been ruled out earlier in the week. Would like to see Coombes in the 23. Wonder is Baird a little light weight on the power front as second row replacement, and I am not sure Conan is in great form. Obviously hoping I am wrong on all fronts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I think pretty much everyone here will agree that your hopes will come true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

yeah I think if it was a World cup KO match he'd be starting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

I'm not worried about the players who are missing for this match, yes Italy are better than they were but any team Farrell puts out should be well able for them. And worries about the backline are misplaced. The tries we've seen from our backs have most often been constructed by system moves that combine forwards and backs. I wouldn't have any worries about any of the guys picked executing on those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Casey is slightly better suited to Ireland's style of play imo than Murray but Murray is the better player in some ways and of course he is the experienced hand.

Coombes style of play is set up for him to push Doris out of the starting team or not play. Conan and POM both carry and tackle in the same channel when they are on the field. Coombes plays completely differently.

I do agree that Baird is a little lightweight for second row. I suspect that he is being considered as a potential 4th choice lock/6th choice back row for the world cup squad. A little lightweight but its potentially a valuable squad role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Murray and Byrne wouldn't be the quickest half back partnership, it also means Murray will be beside Crowley and will guide him around.

• Advertisement

Probably not to the extent and reasons that Farrell would like, but good test of the squad depth. Doesn't matter that it's Italy, still have to perform well and win. Be interesting to see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I predict Doris to have another stormer tomorrow knocking down Italians like bowling pins, total carnage with plenty of resulting Irish tries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Push Doris out of the team...please explain?

Baird is obviously not 6th choice back-row.

Doh! You got me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm actually a bit apprehensive about this game. We have a lot of injuries and are have untested combinations in the half backs and centres. Italy are developing their squad and game plan nicely and could use this game at home as a coming out party of sorts.

We have the better side overall even if it's not as strong as I'd like. I'm just a bit worried that this could be the challenge that some thought Wales would give us in the opening fixture.

On the other hand, I'm not so worried about the absence of Beirne or O'Mahony. Ryan and Henderson have played together plenty of times to much success and the backrow was Leinster's starting trio until the start of this season. We do have proven partnerships across the pitch even if it's not quite as many as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Im not really worried about tomorrow at all. We have scored 155 points in our last 3 6n games against Italy. They may have improved this year. We are missing players and have new combinations. The gap still hasn’t closed enough for them to beat us. It might just make the scoreline slightly less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is the game the old Ireland teams might have struggled in but this team are far too professional.

I see a big win and not because Italy haven't improved, they definitely have, but because this Ireland team is ruthless.

They don't make many mistakes and force the opposition to make them. Italy feed off mistakes with a seriously good counter attack but they won't be getting many opportunities tomorrow.

Anyone who thinks a loss to this Italy team is acceptable seems to me to be applying false modesty. Ireland should be beating this italian side regardless of who starts the match.

We should have a squad capable of beating a team ranked 13th in the world.

Anything less than a convincing win tomorrow is a warning sign that our team is flattering to deceive.

It should be a convincing win. At least a 2 score win at the end of the 80

Anything less and we're fooling ourselves

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

On the other hand, I'm not so worried about the absence of Beirne or O'Mahony.

They’re 2 or our biggest jackal threats tho; their replacements won’t be as effective at slowing down ball. We won’t have as much of a turnover threat. (And Beirne’s form has been brilliant).

I don’t think it’ll be an issue at all, but if your starting point is a bit apprehensive, then to me it’d make sense for that to be another area of concern.

Advertisement