Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread Nov 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Oh it's very obvious what he's up to ok. This bad cop / good cop is getting very boring now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Nice to hear Newstalk giving two fingers to the censors there. The song is worse than the original.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

City dwelling skinny latte set Green Party councillor manages to live without a car. Big whoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Yesterday morning (Monday January 23rd) after the 7.00 news the following exchange occurred:

Ciara Kelly: "Good morning ......... it is Friday the 20th of January, we're flying through January, Shane"

Shane Coleman: "Yeah, we absolutely are, Ciara, and lots to come over the next 2 hours ...... "

Had to listen back to the podcast to confirm I had really heard it.

Was amazed that Coleman didn't notice.

All the hallmarks of reading from a script and a cut and paste from the Friday intro which missed a crucial edit!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was switching stations car radio midday. Hit Newstalk. Andrea Gilligan sounding very worried about a study telling people when they should change bedsheets pillows etc. Then says she ‘text in - 53106 how often do you change your bedsheets?’

I laughed turned it off and thought it depends who was in me bed!

At least I got a laugh out of it. But how does Gilligan not loose the will to live reading stuff like that day after day? Is it her call or the producers/researchers?

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭leath_dub

She appeared to do well with the hard hitting HSE bullying stuff, looks like she's returned to (bed) fluff again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭leath_dub

"Pat and Fay Shortt coming up after the break'

Lots of guffawing on the way as Pat continues to push his (moderately talented)daughter forward with the compliance of RTE, Newstalk, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Butson

Newstalk, in it's current guise, is so far beneath Pat Kenny.

Lols at their own jokes.

Our usual friends and family of RTE/nepotism slot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

"Quinny" on breakfast show. Nothing against him, just hate the way Shane Coleman and Ciara Kelly call him that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭spakman

Not to mind the fact that he gets to drone on about rugby for as long as he likes, yet GAA seems to be almost completely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

6 Nations V mickey mouse league matches?

I don't see a problem.

Is the six nations a serious competition though? Italy making up the numbers. Scotland no great shakes.

The Triple Crown for example a meaningless archaic idea left over from a bygone era. Seems madness to get a trophy for excluding one of the hardest teams in the competition- France. They only ‘invented’ actual silverware for it in recent years. I often wonder why they don’t give an actual ‘wooden spoon’ for last as well. They could talk about that on Newstalk, maybe.

Plus in a Rugby WC year - six nations nothing more than a warm up. Let’s be honest- the holy grail of passing the QF etc. That is Ireland’s real focus. And with all the ‘blow in’s’ getting Irish rugby caps (with zero Irish connection) these days - Ireland should get closer to the SF WC dream.

But The six nations just seems in need of a revamp IMO and seems very stale. For the casual watcher like myself means little. Seems more noise than anything.

There is similarities to National League’s in GAA though in that six nations not a true test. Does not have home and away fixtures.

But despite that most GAA teams take the league more seriously these days -,last 20 years. And div1 in particular is normally a strong indicator on how teams do in championship. And indicates improvement. Personally I think the NFL and NHL are the best competition’s the GAA have should be expanded and played in summer instead of championship- plus home and away.

Six Nations seems like a hangover from the British Empire (plus Italy and the old enemy France). Badly needs a shake up. Competition is lobsided in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Lol, the 6 nations is one of the best tournaments around. It's in absolutely zero need of a revamp

Is that because of the ‘fluff’ in early Rugby WC? How does six nations grow the game?

Same teams year in, year out. No promotion or relegation! Zero real incentive for all teams.

Plus I would argue rugby championship- NZ - Australian-SA - Argentina harder to win than six nations. No soft touch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭spakman

It's not only 6 nations, its provincial competitions as well, seems an editorial decision.

I've no idea what point you're trying to make, but my last post still stands.

It is in the post six nations not a patch on Southern Hemisphere competition overall standard wise.

Plus 6 nations no promotion or relegation- no incentive for weaker teams. No new teams. Kinda boring with same teams in it all the time. I got to be honest I find the 6 nations boring because of that.

Ireland has realistically two decent games - France or England these days.

There should be a six nations league two. Top two get promoted to six nations proper. And bottom two get relegated to six nations league two. I am surprised OTB on NT have not discussed that.

In contrast NFL and NHL in the GAA has promotion and relegation. Bit of excitement last day for more teams.

• Advertisement

Do you watch rugby? The fact you said Scotland were no great shakes while they're 2 for 2 in the current championship makes me think you don't. Anyway, it's a conversation for another thread. You should drop over to rugby and post.

Not really to be honest the odd time, big games. But I honestly don’t think the six nations is as great as some people make it out to be.

Plus I enjoy the League in the GAA best competition the GAA has in my opinion. Obviously could be improved IMO. And the GAA doesn’t do ‘hype’. Now I didn’t hear the Newstalk fella blathering on about Rugby.

But if I did my eyes would gloss over and think - World Cup Rugby latter stages is where it is at. I don’t really buy the hyperbolic Rugby chat. Do it in a Rugby WC is my view- so many false dawns. Six Nations who cares- in comparison?

Now I might be the minority (I don’t know) but the impression I get from the Rugby is that it is a hardcore viewership that drives it. Not many casual watchers like myself.

And I am not knocking any Rugby diehards it is their thing. But it doesn’t ‘grab’ me. Seems s stale format - six nations. Could be done a lot better. To match the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Funny thing to say ya think the GAA lague is the best competition and then diss the rugby which is the same format with the best teams on the continent (small pool I know).

Note: Not a rugby fan myself and wouldn't have much time for Quinny as a reporter/contributer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The GAA don't do hype! Are you joking?

The marketing and hyping of gaa has been on a different level for the last decade or more. Do you never hear the adverts for it, with the Hollywood style voiceovers?

- Where we all belong.

- missing the shift

- arch rivals become close teammates

I could go on. The 2 sports are hyped beyond belief now, despite only a handful of counties being able to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Dr Karl

Aren't the Irish counties also a hangover from the British Empire. Also parishes were introduced by the Anglo-Normans. Both beloved of the GAA. A native Irish person say from 700 CE wouldn't recognise either.

Ironic the new NT podcast rehabilitation of Bertie is called 'As I remember it', as the poor dear was dogged with memory problems a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

WTF is Newstalk's angle on the Bertie Ahearn Rehabilitation Tour? Aside from the hilariously titled podcast he seems to be across every show on the station at the moment. I know Shane Coleman has skin in the game but this appears orchestrated and coming from on high. Very strange they don't seem to be picking up on the negative feelings the man evokes for many (dare I say most?) and by associating with him they're now brining some of that onto themselves? Or maybe they just don't care?

The video below can't be shown enough IMO (apologes for the twitter link, couldn't find athis portion on its own on YouTube):

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

At a guess, Bertie's being coached by The Communications Clinic, and as they [TCC] are hand in hand with a certain talent management agency, this agency's 'talent' is being brought into play. C-C-C- Ciara went throuh a phase of name-dropping the lovely Mrs Prone every chance she got not too long ago.

A poster picked up on it in the last thread

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057638142/newstalk-megathread-22-08-16-to-date/p62

You really wouldn't be up to these fookers

You know it's Shock-tin na NNNnGaelige when Shane starts torturing us with his Caca Milis grade Irish for the duration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Remind me, what's Shock-tin Irish for? If I had to guess from the length of Conradh na NNNNNNNNNNGaeilge's annual "How do you do, fellow paisti?" cash bonfire, I think it's a month.

Advertisement