Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Why do they bother? Just what do they expect to achieve out of the cost and man-hours of keeping posting on this thread? They can’t really believe that their arguments are in any way credible, can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

Every time that poster pops up I think of this...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

One of the joys of Google is that it works as a search for any terms on any website, and is particularly helpful in comparison to the Boards search. Here’s an example search term and it does kinda show that you’ve been saying Bakhmut is about to fall for months. You can play around with it if you want more granular searches.

site:boards.ie "francie barrett"+"bakhmut"

However, months later…

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

This is one of the last things I posted on Bakhmut from a month and a half ago.

I specifically said it's NOT in danger of falling in the near future.

Post edited by Francie Barrett on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The defending force ended up winning the war....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One big reason is Russia is a lot more food secure, China is not. China is a massive importer of food and of courrse has a significantly larger population. But yes China would love to get more farmland under her control. Though it doesn't need an invasion that would inevitably go south to get it(not looking at Russia...). China's soft power is far stronger and more sustainable.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Lads I do not think he a rereg. I think he actually a new one. O of the rest were really as st****d as this one. He is really poor.

The Russian propaganda machine must have been stuck to find this one

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Like I was saying earlier MM, during the Cold War the Soviet Union were very good at supporting/infiltrating/preaching to groups in the West that suited their aims. When the Soviet Union fell it wasn't just supported nations like Cuba that felt that loss. The number of pro Russian/Left/Peace outfits that faded away without that support was interesting.

Over the last few years Russia has been looking at minority groups in the West to support and peddle their spin and again they've been very good at it. Social media makes it so much easier for them too. Groups like conservatives, MAGA, Right and Left on the fringes and of course the WEF/Globalist elites/Covid/Fake News/NWO/The Gays are after your kids conspiracy types. the latter are fertile ground, because you can spin pretty much anything that isn't in The Mainstream Media(tm) and they're likely to buy it wholesale. They're already true believers before you even show up. They're also helped by too much and increasing Newspeak in the West itself.

When putin rattles on about the "liberal west with all their genders" he's certainly playing to the home crowd, but also to the wider world including the above groups and conservative nations outside the West. The old Cold War was on the surface at least(it's always about power) about Communism Versus Capitalism, this Cold War 2 is more along the lines of Liberal Democracy Versus Conservative Authoritarianism. An easy choice some might say. Yep, if you believe one is superior and don't understand that the person who doesn't is just as sure of their position. That's why exporting "Freedom" of any type doesn't tend to work out so well for the exporter.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭threeball

Don't know. One of the others loved to claim he was running rings round people too. Just a sad, mentally ill agitator rather than Russian stooge methinks.

• Advertisement

Yes and no Threeball. Search out the groups I mentioned above, the WEF/Globalist elites/Covid/Fake News/NWO/The Gays are after your kids conspiracy types and it's a near cast iron guarantee they also support Russia in this. Go on twitter and find a few random Russian supporters and again it's a near guarantee their timelines, tweets and retweets fit into the above.

And again we see people with an allergy to opening a history book(they likely see it as "Globalist Elite Mainstream History"). The joke is the Soviet Union from its foundation, on paper at least, was far more "progressive" and "liberal" than the majority of "capitalist" nations. EG equal rights for women, anti racism laws and the like. Oh and the Soviet Union decriminalised homosexuality in 1920, long before the US and most of Europe, though Stalin recriminalised it in the 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Because they'd rather we spend our time replying to their vacuous and puerile ramblings than in solidifying and amplifying support for Ukraine. Just don't feed them, report them and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I'm getting increasingly worried about you

Suggest you contact emergency services and request intervention

Ambulances are quite spacious, you may not even need to leave your gaming chair

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Bitcoin

I am also convinced Bakhmut will hold out.

The orcs are out of tanks. They are out of shells. They are even running low on convicts for use as cannon fodder.

The videos like the above of desperate orc human wave attacks only show their desperation.

200k orcs are now dead with a multiple of that wounded. The coming Ukrainian counter offensive with all the new NATO toys will come like a thunderclap and blow the orcs away.

The orcs are so short of vehicles they are pulling stuff from storage from the 50s 🤣

Human wave attacks and old crap from the 50s. It's all over for them, they are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Honestly I don't think it's anything to do with ukraine,I think it's just individuals who see an active thread and decide they need some attention by attempting to wind people up , last nights effort I found quite amusing,I could have ignored but i found the interactions funny, compared to some of the other contributions to the thread yesterday and the day before,

It's nothing more than attention seeking for whatever reason they feel the need to ,at they were upfront about it,

compared to others

Vids like that also seem to show a serious lack of anti tank kit among the Russian forces. Manic Moran, our resident actual tank and military expert, noted earlier how Russian and Ukrainian tankers seem to have forgotten the maxims of combined tank and troop movements and that was clearly a major screwup on the Russian side early on in this war where we saw encounter after encounter where Russian tanks and armoured vehicles not backed up by infantry were blasted by anti tank weapons.

What I've noticed more recently is again tanks and armoured vehicles out on their own, only this time it's the Ukrainians doing it. However what's different, at least in the encounters we're seeing is the Russians aren't firing back with anti tank weapons. A video a few days ago had a Ukrainian tank moving about in fields, at one point smack dab in the middle of one, pounding Russian positions for ages(the video was actually speeded up to get it into the twitter time limit). A perfect target, yet we don't see it taking fire from those Russian positions and judging by the actions of the Ukrainian tank crew, either they're just mad/madly brave, or they feel confident enough that incoming anti tank fire is not the threat it was in that area. What also seems to be clear is that Ukrainians still have anti tank weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭vixdname

Oh but but but we're "neutral", they wont do anything to hurt us !.....would they ????

I think it's down to the simple reason is they don't have the anti tank weapons in their inventory is yes they have the kornet Which isn't exactly man portable and easy to menuver in fast moving battles,the doctrine has always been large numbers of tanks and bmps blitzkrieging area in an attempt to over run defenses,but in Ukraine they had their own tanks,bmps and artillery but most importantly 90,000+ modern and highly portable anti tank weapons sent by eu and Nato countries,they have also seem to have lost their artillery advantage,we are definitely seeing more and more lone Ukrainian vehicles very much carrying out kamikaze styles runs into Russian forces especially in and around bakhmut, which suggests that the Ukrainans are either running lite when it comes to tanks and other armour or they are withholding their main tank and ifv for a bigger combined forces counter offensive,

We've seen in Vuhledar recently Russians loosing 20 -30 tanks in single engagements but we're not seeing Ukrainian tanks being used in the same numbers to counter the Russian tanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭vixdname

Dont worry Gatling my friend, we bought 2 lovely boats recently from New Zealand - They will protect our sea borne assets - but if the sea is too choppy neither are capable of sailing....yeah, I jest you not - we got rid of 2 more sea worthy vessels namely LE Aoife & LE Orla and replaced them with 2 Lake Class vessels...and we paid €26,000,000 for this decrease in capability...great little country

Naval service capability 'significantly reduced' with purchase of NZ warships (irishexaminer.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Russia doesn't have the numbers to make a significant dent in the frontline using human waves, so it begs the question of what tactics it intends to employ in the longer term to advance in a more rapid fashion. I do not believe that even in the most authoritarian state would it be long-term politically sustainable for large swathes of the population to be essentially frog marched off to war with a greater than 50 percent chance they'll die in the first few weeks of deployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Economics101

I see that yesterdays useless idiots in the Irish Times got an impressive response. The letters add up to a complete and comprehensive rebuttal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Just watched a video confirming Ukraine has doubled its himars range and is also due delivery of a Boeing made air to surface glide bomb with similar accuracy and range of 74km.

Today russian logistics died

Yes Mariupol was hit again last night or this morning,

It's beginning to thaw there now imagine the smell in a few days. Expect disease to run rampant among the Russians on top of it all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

An interesting radio report from Moscow yesterday on attitudes of ordinary Russian Muscovites to the war. On the one hand, was said they were generally opposed to the invasion/ war but also that the prevailing opinion there now was one of concern for the 'survival of Russia'. That the narrative that this is Russia V NATO has been established in their heads. Even though technically literate citizens can & do use VPNs to access outside media.

That narrative is clearly screwed up but a dangerous one as it feeds into support for a military economy and conscription etc. I don't know what is being done in the propaganda war front to tackle this in Russia but clearly lives can be saved and this war brought to a quicker conclusion if that narrative can be changed. It is surely the duty of all Russian citizens living outside their state to get this word back and persuade their families, friends and neighbours that this was a disastrous attack on their close neighbours and must be halted asap. To sit in silence and watch on whilst having the capacity to influence is thoroughly disgusting moral cowardice. And feck the long arm of the Russian secret security - they can't monitor everyone.

Are you actually surprised,

They recently a flew one of our new pc12 aircraft 40,000 km to pick up three boxes in Africa including 14 fuel stops(open to correction), the aircraft wasn't designed for such long haul flights and back,but it's fine when we need a few boxes picked up ,not even men or life savings equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sometimes the Ukrainians even use anti tank weapons in Bakhmut:

Seems effective, particularly as they seem to steer it right through the door.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement