Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Excellent passing? Decion making ? I did notice his missed touch twice. Missed kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Ireland try to keep the ball in play as much as possible. A lot of the time the kicker isn't going for touch.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Missed touch twice??

I certainly don't remember him kicking any pens to the line and missing?

Maybe I was out of the room for that

I appreciate that ,but he should of found touch when in 22 which lead to Italian first try

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

There was times when it was debatable if he was kicking for touch or kicking long near the touchline.

I don't think he was missing touch with penalties.

Kicking long near the touchline can allow a a challenge and a tackle into touch and it probably a better opposition for competition than an opposition lineout.

• Advertisement

The Italian first try came from a defensive error in midfield, not from a missed kick to touch. Ireland want to keep the ball in play, especially in the first half, on it to tire out they opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Lads for your own sake don’t bite, just ignore

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Byrne was fine today.

His lack of athleticism is an issue and it will hinder him, it's the main reason why in my opinion he's a stop gap option.

Lots of changes in our team today, unfamiliar players and some out of position, some inexperienced players. Imperfection is to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Byrne is the great hope never made any sense. No one was hyping him as this transformed guy who was the answer for ireland before he got called back up. Then he got called up, played 9 minutes or so and he looks ‘so different’. That was always bollocks dublin media hype.

He is a good player and him or carberry are decent back ups. Neither are world beaters albeit for different reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ersatz

That was a very unsettled team and I’d struggle to see any team missing all of Ringrose, Henshaw and Sexton doing the business in a knockout WC match. Still though, Italy are good and we put them away with room to spare with what’s close enough to a scratch team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Guys have got dinged hard for not playing well in unsettled teams before with Farrell, so i wouldn’t rule a response out.

I think the hyperbole around Byrne has never made sense.

He was a good option and solid and has performed well at Leinster. He wasn't getting a look in at International level at all and was the 5th choice OH before the AIs (behind Sexton, Crowley, Carberry and Frawley). Freddie Burns, Harry Byrne and Jack Carty had gotten game time ahead of him in recent years.

Until the cameo against Australia people weren't suggesting him and were dismissing him. Of course he won't make a squad, then a big list of problems.

I agree that he isn't a world beater. He is a decent back up and thats his role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ersatz

I’m sure there will be handbags from Farrell over some of the mistakes but whatever about Sexton, Ireland really suffer with both Ringrose and Henshaw absent. Aki is fine as an attacking 13 but him and Stu are a poor defensive unit. Hume was tried out last year and maybe Osbourne could see an opportunity this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I know there's a match thread but I haven't dipped in there yet, I was at the match and the scoreline flattered Italy, an intercept try and two missed conversions had the scoreline much closer than it should and that's ignoring the missed scores through ba few errors.

I think Farrell, if he had a full squad to pick from, might have made as many changes as that was enforced but I think he'd have picked different combinations so there was always going to be a few errors or getting timings wrong.

Wearing red tinted glasses I was disappointed that Crowley only got 2 mins and he looked more than ok in those few mins. I hoped he'd getting longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Agree with that, we all know about his lack of athleticism so it's hardly a shock. I thought he was fine, however I would not play that 10/12/13 combo again if I could avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Any 80s pro wrestling fans - we are now the Ric Flair of rugby.

We'll come into your territory, face your toughest local talent, make them look like a million bucks, but ultimately win in the end.

Wales looked at their best in this 6N in the match against us (despite conceding a first half TBP).

We then had a match-of-the-year contender against France. Got the world talking about which one of us would win the RWC.

Today we made Italy look like the gosh dang All Blacks. But got out of town with the TBP win.

We go over, but we get guys over.

Stylin' and profilin', wooooooo!

Looking towards the world cup. Not beyond the realms of possibility that Italy beat France in group stage and we could potentially play Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Not going to happen. Italy needs too much to go right for them and France would need to much to go wrong for them.

I still think France could win the RWC and it could be our history or just fear of saying we could win it but I don't see Ireland winning it.

Today showed how much we missed a running threat at outhalf, Crowley probably showed more in his few minutes than Byrne did in his 78.

By not beyond the realm of possibility I assume he means that someone French could get sent off in the first five minutes and fail to overcome. Always a possibility in rugby at the moment imo with the way high tackles are refereed.

I feel Crowley could have gotten 10-20 minutes. No reason to have an unused substitute unless you are guarding against injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

If Scotland were to get nothing from their French match - would I be right in saying that when we meet them Ireland could be playing to win the championship and Scotland to win the Triple Crown in Murrayfield on the day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Scotland would have cut us to shreds today. Our backline has limited pace and seriously, what kind of center defense was that? Very poor indeed. Ringrose is so much better than everyone else it's ridiculous. He was missed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

I'll take a ban for this...

Shut the fcuk up u absolute dickhead.

Sometimes that needs to be said.

Talk to ye in a couple of weeks folks.

We can't win the championship against Scotland.

We could win the championship by the end of round 4s weekend (if we get a try bonus point against Scotland and no other team gets to 15 points).

If France gets a try bonus point against Scotland the winner of France England will end on 15 points if they get a bonus point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Scotland would indeed be playing for the Triple Crown.

A win would not mathematically guarantee us the tournament though.

In your scenario, do France beat Scotland with a TBP?

If yes, they could hit a max of 20 points (beat England and Wales with TBPs in the final two rounds). If no, they could hit a max of 19 points.

We'd therefore need 5 (or in the latter case 4) points from the Scotland and England games to finish level with France. And finishing level with France likely gives us the tournament given our current points difference (+59 on France).

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tmc1963

Indeed - even fully loaded, the Irish backline overall is inferior to the Scots and they have proven that they don't need a lot of possession to score a lot of points.

If the pack is not well on top it could get difficult.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod: Yep, that’s a pretty straightforward 2 week ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

All i can say is if casey and byrne are out next half back partnership, we are in trouble.

Ross byrne is outrageously slow. Seeing him run after someone in the outside, I think jonny could outpace him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

He's a stop gap, I think. He's probably best off the bench. The future will be Crowley and possibly Harry B. Ross will be in the mix.

Advertisement