Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italy V Ireland Match thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

One of Casey’s points of difference is how accurate his long passing is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Maybe Casey needs to play with Sexton a few times and see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

To be honest think Ringrose covers a multitude of sins up because he is so good defensively. Aki was a defensive mess today granted. But don't agree, thought McCloskey was poor today defensively, was it because he was poor or because Aki was so at sea, to be debated, possibly a bit of both. Just to my eye from what I have seen of Osborne he has an ability to make defensive reads in the Ringrose mould and I am not seeing that from McCloskey. Osborne clearly has the advantage of seeing Gary day in day out at Leinster and it's rubbing off in my eyes anyway.

Ultimately anyone playing either side of Ringrose is blessed as he is exceptional defensively and runs the show so perhaps tricky to be sure.

I mean, he wouldn’t do it to sexton. What has byrne done to warrant that level of respect?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

He has a good pass.

The pass back to Lowe on 5m in front of the post - It looked a decent pass but was it all Lowe's fault for dropping it?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

It absolutely wasn't. Lowe should have held it, but it was an obviously poor pass. Lowe is crouched down and having to reach out in front because the ball hasn't enough force on it to get to him. You can see by the ball flight it was going to hit Lowe in his knees.

Casey's pass is noticeably poorer when he's passing right to left.

I'm generally a fan of him, and think his pass accuracy and his tempo are two of his better traits, but he had a number of inaccurate passes today.

anything that could hit you on the knees should be caught. By that standard JGP would lead to tons of knock ons per game.

Nah, that's absolutely nobodies definition of an accurate pass. Lowe should have held it, but the pass was poor.

When you're in that clearance kick situation you're absolutely relying on the ball hitting you in the hands in the position to allow you to get it onto your boot as quickly as possible. If you're having to crouch and reach for it because there isn't enough accuracy or velocity on it, then that's on the passer.

• Advertisement

Yea, there is inaccurate and then there is ‘should be caught’. Its not a clear delineation.

So yea not accurate but there can be 10/15 passes like that in a game conservatively. They need to be caught. Its as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Lowe should have caught it, but it was still a bad pass.

The question was: It looked a decent pass but was it all Lowe's fault for dropping it?

And it patently wasn't all Lowe's fault. It's primarily Casey's fault. There are times where inaccurate passing from a scrum half is more costly than others, and this is a classic one of those.

When you're making those clearance kicks you're not bursting onto a ball at speed, you're standing static, and you are super conscious of the rush defence trying to block the kick, so you're focused on getting boot to ball asap. That pass can't be one you're reaching for because it doesn't have enough on it.

Even if Lowe had held it, because of the position he was in, he wouldn't have been in a good position to get a good strike on the ball too because of the poor quality of the pass.

Lol, primarily his fault? If lowe normally dropped balls that would hit him on his knees they would drop him.

This is complete nonsense lol.

It wasn’t at his knees though, or anywhere near.

Lol - yeah, if a scrum half can't hit the kicker in his hands with a simple pass like that, then it's the scrum half's fault. Lowe drops the pass because he isn't expecting to have to crouch down and reach for it. Lol.

This isn't constructive engagement - it's just you bashing a Leinster player again with your own opinions and nothing more than that, but throwing in a lol comment at the end of it, so good luck to you.

Are you even listening to yourself here. There are tons of passes in EVERY game that come nowhere near to hitting the receiver in their hands. Nowhere near. You have to catch them. Its literally as simple as that .

I’m not ‘bashing’ Lowe. He should have caught it. He’s still an excellent player.

You would defend anything a leinster player does in any situation so you perceive any criticism as a massive insult. That’s fine but don’t tell me that its not on guys to catch imperfect passes just cos they wear blue. Such a homer god damn.

I absolutely do not defend Leinster players at any point - and that's a bullshit statement. Literally in my synopsis of the game, I was critical of Jack Conan's performance.

I just find it surprising that Ross Byrne is the half back coming in for consistent criticism here today after a fairly solid outing, when it was his half back partner who had the much poorer outing.

I would say your standards for 9 play are higher than mine, then. And leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Would like to know where the hyperbole about Ross Byrne was over the last few weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

What kind of nonsense is this?

What has Casey done to warrant such an attitude?

It’s not ‘attitude’ its putting width on the ball. Sexton gets to tell the 9 what to do basically all the time because hes a legend. Usually the 9 has the latitude to skip the 10 sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah that was it, I thought the pass died badly. He still should have caught it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I think you are being very generous. For the disallowed Lowe try he does a pop pass to Aki who then frees Doris to break the line, there are two more passes to get the ball to Lowe. For the Ryan try he doesn’t touch the ball at all in the phase and it’s Aki again whos pass sets Lowe free to set up the try. His best attacking involvement is in the Keenan try where does a lovely backdoor pass to Hansen who reacts brilliantly to put Aki free. The two involvements for the Aki try are pretty straightforward, the first is a simple ship pass to Henderson that actually puts him on the back foot but Henderson reacts brilliantly with a quick offload to Kelleher to get go forward ball. On the next phase Ryan is the first receiver and he gives a nice backdoor pass to Byrne who follows up with another backdoor pass to McCloskey who gives a flat pass to VDF to set up the try. For the Hansen try Byrne again has no involvement. For the disallowed Aki try you mentioned he was instrumental in, his first involvement is to be second receiver off another nice backdoor pass from Ryan, he then pops a pass to Henderson who is tackled. On the second phase he is first receiver and gives a nice short pass to Hansen who is unmarked and he puts Aki free. For the second Hansen try he isn’t involved in the final phase. His primary role in attack was to give simple pop passes to players outside him, occasionally he gave backdoor passes, he didn’t give a single offload. I can only think of one occasion where he gave a pass that ended up breaking the line and that was to Hansen, who was unmarked, for the disallowed Aki try. I’m not sure you could say he unpicked the Italy defence, Aki was the key man in most of the line breaks with Lowe, Hansen, Murray and McCoskey each popping up to make the crucial pass at different times.

Defensively he was poor. For the first Italy try he is caught in two minds covering the backfield and makes the wrong read and ends up unnecessarily doubling up on a tackle with Keenan which leaves a gap for Italy to score in the next phase. For Italys second try it’s a mix up between Aki and Byrne that causes the intercept, Aki throws a no look pass so is primarily to blame but Byrne looks a step behind where he should be on a pre planned move. Byrne missed a tackle on the Menoncello break where he got absolutely burned which leads to Italy making 20 metres off the carry and a kick which puts Casey under pressure and gives Italy 3 points. He ended with six tackles made and two missed.

I’d say this game illustrated why he was left out in the cold for so long. Offensively Byrne takes very few risks and relies heavily on players outside him to make the key pass to create a linebreak. He is extremely limited athletically at this level and offers absolutely no running threat. Defensively he is a minus. Carbury is as good a facilitator as Byrne but offers a far superior running and offload threat and is a better defender. Crowley will make far more errors with ball in hand than Byrne but will also make things happen himself, and we’ll as being a far superior athlete and defender.

Carberry is a better defender than Byrne? That’s one of the oddest takes I’ve ever seen. Carberry is a turnstile, whose weakest aspect of his game is defence. Outside of Sexton Byrne is the best defensive 10 in the country.

I’d say this game illustrated why he was left out in the cold for so long..

If this is the case, it’s very strange that the management choose to leave him on the field for 78 minutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’d agree with a lot of that, but I think being poor defensively was atypical of Byrne tbh.

And I definitely think he’s a better defender than Carbery.

Nah, I think you're the one being overly harsh in how you characterise some of his involvements here. It depends on how you define unpick a defence, but clearly his passes in the disallowed Aki try and the Keenan try were the very definition of this.

For the disallowed Lowe try - from when Ireland get possession he has 2 good involvements - one choosing to sweep to the narrow side which stretches the Italian defence to that side, and the second a good pass to Aki out the back which releases him into space.

For the Keenan try he is taking the ball at pace, carries it beyond the line of the lineout (past the gainline), sits down Garbisi and plays a lovely pass to Hansen, then takes the hit just as he releases it. Hansen's pass to Aki is excellent, but both of these passes together are the definition of unlocking the defence.

He had a good level of involvement in the Aki try, two possessions in the space of a few phases, and picked the right option in each case.

For the disallowed Aki one - he has three good involvements, including his first pass to Hansen where he clearly commits the defender before releasing Hansen. His second pass to Hansen, the one you're fairly uncharitably describing as a pass to an unmarked Hansen, is another situation where he's making a decision to attack the blindside at pace, and he commits one Italian defender and then plays a really nice pass across the face of another Italian to Hansen, so has taken two defenders out on that attack, leaving Hansen with a relatively simple 2 v 1 which Bundee spills on the deck. Once again, it's a fairly textbook example of unlocking a defence.

No one is disputing his athletic limitations, but if we were looking for an athlete at 10 we'd put Robert Baloucoune or Aaron Sexton in there. He got burned on the outside by Menoncello, but that's going to happen. Menoncello is an exceptionally quick winger.

Italy made 8 clean breaks today, and Ireland's overall tackle success rate was a fairly risible 83% (versus 88% on average in 2022). Lots of players missed tackles. Byrne's 75% tackle success rate was far from the worst out there today (that would be Craig Casey at 40%). He's not a minus defender, in fact I would argue he is probably Ireland's best defensive 10 apart from JS. Claiming Joey Carbery is a better defender than Ross Byrne is an utter joke. Clearly Jack Crowley is a better athlete than Ross Byrne, but he's not a better 10 yet.

I think frawley and crowley are better honestly. Athleticism is a component to defense and both those guys could legitimately be 12s. I’ve been really impressed by both of them defensively. In fact, id say they are both more advanced on that side of the ball.

However, defense isn’t really a selection criteria at 10 unless its disasterous.

I have serious questions over Frawleys defence. He tackles too high and has been injured several time because of it. Big guy and physically has no problems there but needs to work on his technique. Crowley looks really good there and is certainly brave but we have seen very little of him at 10.

• Advertisement

Of all the question marks about Ross Byrne (and I don't think anyone thinks he's a world beater at 10 here), his defence isn't one of them.

His tackle success ratio in the URC this year, across an 11 game sample, is c. 87% (53 made, 8 missed). That's the definition of solid.

Joey Carbery, by contrast, is at 73% (43 made, 16 missed). From a smaller sample size, he's missed twice as many tackles. And, even when he makes tackles, he's a less impactful defender and tends to make soak tackles which give up the gainline. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone who has seen both players, as Carbery is noticeably slight, and a fairly renowned poor defender.

Advertisement