Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Hurling League 2023 Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If you think TV coverage is below par you should try listening too some radio commentaries

Full of utter tripe, mistaking players and scores. 'Owl Johnny will be happy that ones gone over'. Pure Killinaskully dinosaur irish type stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,922 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Your the one came on moaning about RTE.

I'm the one saying things are absolutely fine as they are but I'm "Mr negativity"

I think the level the GAA operate at is exceptional. I can't think of another tiny tiny little country that has anything close.

But it is what it is and comparisons to big international television events is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭17togo

I was listening to the Anthony Nash interview on OTB yesterday and he was on about puckouts and getting information onto the pitch now as a manager. I was thinking I'm surprised someone hasn't tried the mic'd up thing yet, and Davy I'm sure would be the first to try it. I wonder is there some kind of rule against it?! Probably is the next step, and once one does it everyone will.

This was in response to a poster a few pages back....dunno why it didn't attach the original post.

I wish they would restore the previous format.

Groups of 8, like there currently is in football and as there previously was in hurling (from 1993 to 1997 and again from 2009 to 2011) falls flat because there will always be one or two teams in division 2 who are far better than the rest of the teams and complaints that those one/two teams are at a disadvantage when it comes to preparing for the championship. (That didn’t stop two division 2 teams - Wexford and Limerick - from making it to the 1996 final however).

2x6 - (1998 to 2008, 2020 to present) you have four or five traditional powers in a group and one or two whipping boys. It’s basically a cop out to suit the traditional teams who want to be able to experiment with their line up without being at risk of relegation.

Groups of 6 - (2012-2019) - competitive top tier. Competitive second tier although it did have a fairly definitive top three of traditional powers and bottom three of the best second tier teams. In the old 1B a team like Westmeath would have two games against teams like Offaly, Carlow, Laois, Antrim and Kerry and they stood a good chance of retaining their place in the division if they performed in those games.

In the current structure, Westmeath are purely there as a safety net for Cork, Clare, Limerick, Galway and Wexford. It’s as good as pre determined that they will be in the relegation playoff with one of Antrim or Laois from the other group.

The changes for 2020 have ruined a competition that seemed to have finally settled on a good format. It was changed because the 1A teams felt it was too competitive. Teams are taking advantage of the low stakes and now taking it easy on S&C work because they know they will get away with having a poor league campaign.

Contrast that to the football league where relegation from D2 and promotion from D3 now determines whether or not a team will play Sam Maguire or Tailteann Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭randd1

Football seems to be determined to solve it's sports problems, hurling seems to determined to create them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

The main hurling counties are determined to pull up the ladder after themselves and don't give a sh1te about the smaller counties. Pundits from those counties prefer to say how teams like Antrim and Laois are improving when they are getting battered more often than not

Ah go away with that shte.

All you have to do is look at the "support" football county boards and fans give their hurlers to see where the problem lies.

I know nobody involved in hurling doesn't want to do anything except see the game grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Look at the vote Liam Griffin got in asking clubs to have underage hurling. Football is the problem, not hurling. Its a sport akin to Aussie Rules without a tackle with the only redeeming feature being 'catch and kick' which isn't done anymore. It's a poor poor sport to watch but I do gather that it's fun to play. Over and back, over and back across the field..

The Hurling league is perfect as it is. Theres a round Robin coming up in spring and teams don't want or need two ultra competitive competitions. The Munster Round Robin especially promises to be another amazing competition. Its the most important segment of any the GAAs competitions. Its crowds dwarf even the Ulster football championship

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Tipp looking likely to reach the semi finals from 1B after tonights win over Dublin

Good win for Offaly over Kerry in 2A

• Advertisement

Some confusion with results

Galesport had Kerry down as the winners and then changed it to a draw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

That really sucks. I was delighted for Kerry.

Cant understand why this wasn't a double header for Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ah Liam Griffin the hurling evangelist. Every time I see his name I laugh and think of the time he was on a general chat show panel discussion.

With almost tears in his eyes he said ‘there are people in this room who have never held a hurl in their lives’. Full of over the top sincerity. Following more recent comments his views have not changed.

But I think Griffin’s battle is not v football. It is v the hurling traditionalist’s who want the game to remain among the small clique.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Who are this clique ?

I've never heard anyone from a top county be anything but happy when a small team breaks through. Its not but a conspiracy ye football counties tell yourselves to feel better and have someone else to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's just something the lesser counties tell themselves to excuse the fact that their county board couldn't give two **** about hurling and have no interest in promoting it as they do football.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

What I find mad is half of those counties are shte at football too and would probably be better off winning a Christy Ring or something.

Jesus what's happening too Wexford ?

Wexford 1-18- Clare 6-25 FT

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

Missing a few lads, but that's some hammering!

On the Gal v Lim game, Galway have been wasteful on shots and some poor decisions working the ball out of defence. Gal should be closer but having said that Lim look comfortable. Decent game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Ridiculous yellow for O'Donoghue. He didn't even foul. Poor decision by the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Hurl to head by Kyle Hayes not picked up, red clear as day but Limerick get away with it again. New season, same Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Dirty stroke from Hayes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

Kyle Hayes doing Kyle Hayes things. Gets away scot free as usual and is involved in subsequent Limerick scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

And threw his helmet off feigning injury to waste time too

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭dvega

Red all day alright, lucky man. If it were the champ it'd be straight red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

It's time for citings to be brought in. The football was a mess yesterday with dozens of head high tackles, lads leaving a bit on a fella in the tackle or lads just feigning injury.

Today we have Hayes blatantly pulling into a fellas head and a ref and linesman who hadn't the balls to do what is laid down in the rules.

If there was a process where you knew you were going to get caught afterwards then it would cut out alot of the shìte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Just as easy say. "Poor reaction. Deserved a red" rather than some bulls**t deflection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Im a Clare man. Harmless enough from Hayes. Yellow at most. More a loose swing than anything. No venom in it whatsoever. He played well especially when needed in the last few mins. The ref gave an awful lot of handy frees . The booking Will O Donoghue got was a joke. It wasn't even a free until Monahan looked injured. He's a poor ref.

The game was competitive but Limerick dominated really . I think the intensity was abit off and then the substitutions took the rythem out of it. Galway have gone back if anything. What young guy did anything for them. I cant see them beating this Limerick side in Championship. No chance.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Advertisement