Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linking RTB Registrations

Options
  • 25-02-2023 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

My elderly mother recently passed away, leaving her three rented apartments to my elderly father. I've spent the last few days reading the RTB website trying to get my head around how to proceed on this and getting nowhere fast. I know my late mother had registered all three tenancies with the RTB but their register shows only two of them are registered - and one of those two is actually registered twice. I have limited paperwork for these tenancies and am unsure as to how up to date the registrations are. My late mother had become forgetful and overwhelmed in her final two years so might have let things slip through no fault of her own. I know I need to re-register all of tenancies annually but I really need more information about them before I can do this.

I also know that my father, who is almost 90 and is leaving all this up to me to organise, will have to register himself as the new owner (I've already emailed the RTB to let them know he's inherited the property), and we will need to link his new account to my mother's one so that we can access the existing registration details of the three rentals. Has anyone any experience of doing this which might make the process a little less frustrating? If I create an account for him, can I link this account to the three tenancies rather than to my mother's account?

I've already worked out that the chaotic and under-staffed RTB will be of limited help to me so I'm hoping someone here might have some experience of this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I would often find RTB information to be incorrect or missing even after making several attempts to correct it. So don't be surprised at that. My experience is you have to grit the teeth and follow the RTB process exactly a few times to get everything sorted.

I'm not sure why you'd link accounts. Your mother's accounts should be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 RosyGirl

I'm going to create a new account for my father tomorrow using the same email as my mum. I'm hoping that this will give me some sort of access to the three existing registrations so I can make some sort of progress but I'll need to also go through all her paperwork hoping to find some sort of RT code for each of them. We received a notification for one of them to re-register it so I at least have that to get me started. If she's discarded or mislaid the original paperwork, however, I might be in trouble and need the RTB to help me out. Which might take a LONG time by the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Royoftherovers1999

Hi there

Firstly I am sorry for your loss.

I am a Property Manager and deal with the RTB on daily basis, they are the worst orginisation and very slow to help or even respond.

If your preference is to link two accounts you will have to email both registrations@rtb.ie and datalinking@rtb.ie and explain the situation (I would in reality just send the email as your father as you will likely make no progress otherwise), give the addresses, your mother's DOB and PPS number and ask for the new account you created to be linked. Just to flag that responses may take time if they even respond at all.

If you have access to your mother's RTB account login an easier option would be to login and just add your father as a landlord.The RTB dont really cared who is the owner as long as the fee is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 RosyGirl

That's incredibly helpful. Many thanks for your response. I'm going to scavenge my mum's paperwork today in the hopes of uncovering useful information. Much luck will be needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭nhg

Otherwise just start from scratch a register the 3 properties in your Dads name.

RTB are a nightmare to deal with. I take care of the paperwork side of rental properties for my parents & uncle (in 80’s)

My uncle has 1 property that I tried to link from his old account to his new account as He had paid €90 to register the house for 4 years about 2 years prior (I couldn’t get my hands on the paperwork as he was in hospital and didn’t want to go rummaging in his house) between emails, webchat, being on hold for nearly 2 hrs (yes not a typo 2 hours) more than once, requesting to get the case escalated - they never linked the account, to eventually being told that it needed to be re-registered and costing new the new yearly registration fee of €40 plus a late fee all because of their total incompetence.

Would have saved a lot of time & money if I had just registered the house from scratch on the new account

I think the RTB are just a money collecting department as they offer no actual service to the landlord for the annual fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I had an issue with them, I finally got a reply after 4 months, and being told how simple everything is on the website, by someone that seemed to be on a constant teabreak. They were of sero use to me.

I contacted them on twitter and the same on email, I left them a message , that not only were they of no use when we were paying e90 before, now that we are paying an annual fee, they are actually costing the taxpayer more money than they are collecting and still performing nothing of use, it is actually costing them about e60 to collect e40 and they are doing nothing to help anyone, tenant or landlord.

It's an absolute disgrace.

Advertisement