Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Werent you rubbishing anything nphet or anyone on nphet said from the get go?

How is not hilarious then for you to agree?

Your words not mine.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The height of the curves since we got rid of mask wearing was lower than when we were wearing masks. Look at the peaks post Feb 22. They are lower than Pre 2022.

Now I am not sayimg thats all down ti masks obviously. But what I am saying is that its not like if we dont wear masks or social distance the wave will go on for 12 months instead of 2.

The wave essentially lasts 2 or 3 months regardless of what we have done to mitigate spread of the disease.

I agree about vaccination reducing sickness. I literally said that in my post. Trust me, I am not anti vacc in anyway and had all the jabs.

All I am saying is that if you look at the statistics, the length of the curves during restrictions is no shorter than the length of the curve when we removed restrictions altogether.

Yes. And it's hilarious to see that even people on NPHET knew it was a joke.

They lost all credibility the day Holohan returned and forced the country back into lockdown when the rest of the members were all in agreement on level 3.

Probably what he means by big personalities.

And now people like you who supported everything these lads said can see that even they knew it was inhumane and anti science.

I said no such thing.

I think they have trawled for studies a and pulled in studies which are not directly relevant to the mask mandate debate.

It would also have been helpful if they could give specific examples of practicable examples that would address the gaps.

It is very easy to write the below. Not so easy to run an ethical RCT during a pandemic in the real world.

"In summary, more high‐quality RCTs are needed to evaluate the most effective strategies to implement successful physical interventions in practice, both on a small scale and at a population level. It is very unfortunate that more rigorous planning, effort and funding was not provided during the current COVID‐19 pandemic towards high‐quality RCTs of the basic public health measures."

Very easy to lob out words like inhumane and anti science. Not so easy to explain what you would have done differently that wouldnt have increased risk and potentially inadvertently 'humanely' caused someone else to die or be severely ill.

As for supporting everything NPHET said that remark isnt valid wrt this thread never mind others. Lots of criticisms of NPHET / Irish government where they were out of synch / slow to catch up with international best practice.

• Advertisement

It's really really simple to not act inhumane.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭hometruths

Well no matter how relevant you think it is to the mask mandate debate, I quoted the Cochrane review in the context of the point about Cormican's opinions on the merits of masks versus hand washing.

So as I said wrt masks Cormican previously seemed to think hand washing was more important and actively opposed their use by HCW. For a respiratory disease.

The recent Cochrane review suggest Cormican had a point.

Physical interventions to interrupt or reduce the spread of respiratory viruses

The findings of the Cochrane review confirm Cormican's opinions, so it is very relevant in that context

• Registered Users Posts: 9,986 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I can't believe that the point you take from the thread is about Airborne vs Fomite transmission.

The point being made is that our response was wholly disproportionate to the risk. Closing schools for months and not allowing people to see their loved ones as they died is not humane and cannot be excused or repeated.

And really really simple to spread infection without realising it.

Quarantining / isolating (even hiding faces with masks) people seems inhumane until you realise why it is being done... so that others will not have to suffer. Which is a higher form of compassion.

I take that point for the blatantly obvious reason that this is the masks thread rather than discussion of school closures etc. I shouldnt have to point this out to you and any further remarks in that line will be ignored.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Advertisement

Our whole response was inhumane and even a member of NPHET now admits it. Possibly more will come forward as time passes and more people retire.

And there will still be people like you defending inhumane actions.

You can't defend inhumane actions. Even if it was just a bunch of incompetent fools copying China.

I think you are well intended and only out to protect people. I would never criticise your intention and in fact I applaud it.

I think some of the other posters are just pointing out that the whole mask wearing thing really wasnt a panacea and that ultimatley, the govt overreated in its restricitions.

The fact is that the highest infection rate was recorded in Jan 22 at just over 50%, then, in late jan, it started to fall.

we removed all restrictions & infection rate continued to fall. It didnt spike because we all stopped wearing masks and starting going to nightclubs again.

it followed the same trajectory as when we were all locked up at xmas. It continued to fall.

Hospitalisations fell. ICU fell. Deaths fell. By every metric, the impact on society fell.

I think people saw a revelation in that.

If they hadnt already thought it.

I dont think the government over reacted wrt masks though ... if anything the opposite especially in 2020.

I think you are focusing on the trajectory a little too much rather than the height / impact of the wave.

And remember also measures such as masks helped avoid a double whammy in earlier years of covid and flu with all that that would have meant for hospitals, especially pre covid vaccine rollout.

So masks - not a panacea - but they played an important role in mitigating impact over the pandemic. In allowing reopening businesses capacity with reduced risk etc

The height/impact of the waves was broadly unaffected by masks.

The waves we had post restrictions were smaller in height and duration than they were when we wore masks!

Explain that?

You are attaching too much importance to masks.

ill fitting masks will offer very little protection and even well fitted masks dont stop infection being abosrbed through the eye.

We had peak infection when people work masks. we stopped wearing them. subsequent peaks did not reach the height or infection rate that they did when we were wearing masks.

conclusion = masks have a marginal impact on protection.

No harm in wearing them, but dont hang your hat on them as a protection policy.

Vurus gonna virus. Waves went up and waves went down. What we did inbetween made no tangible didference and if anything, it just spread the infection period rather than reduced it.

Natural post infection immunity + vaccination and the lessening in the mortality of the virus with omicron were the major factors in suppressing Covid I would say.

Omicron was the game changer. Thankfully.

It is explicable wrt the variants, vaccines, immunity, level of testing.

No one is saying masks are as important as eg vaccines.

Their importance needs to be assesed versus other mitigation measures such as distancing, capacity, closures... And wrt to their cost.

You see to be focusing on masks only as ppe for direct protection. Thats not why they were mandated.

The extent of infection via eyes is an open question. Wrt masks though you dont spread it from your eyes. You spread it mainly via mouth and nose which is where masks have their main role on terms of mandates.

These are peripheral discussions.

My main point is that the height of the wave and its impact was not significantly impacted by restrictions.

Look at the waves and compare their peaks, their infection rate, their hospitisation rate etc.

The waves post restriction were similar to those that occured at the height of restrictions.

Like I said earlier, Jan 22 is the best example. We hit 51% positivity in Jan with omicron and then it began to fall towards the end of jan, to 49%

we dropped restrictions mostly at the end of jan and fully in early march.

if resrrictjons were so influential, we would see a bounce back. the 51% mid jan that fell to 49% end of jan would have gone back up, as we removed restrictions and started licking each others faces!

positivity continued to go down. As did deaths, hospitalisation etc.

The pathway of the wave was materially umaffected by restrictions.

the evidence tells us that.

Today, we have the lowest hospitalusarion rate since Covid had wind in its sails and we havent restricted a single social thing for 12 months.

If its so 'peripheral' really not sure what point you are trying to make on this thread.

I am comparing masks wrt other restrictions over the course of the pandemic.

I take your point re vaccines, variants, immunity being more important but that doesnt mean they didnt have a role to play. The height of the wave was affected by the measures. Therefore its impact was also.

If you think eg discussion of masks as ppe versus barriers is peripheral to this thread then we are just arguing past each other.

The height of the waves was not influenced significantly by restrictions or measures.

Thats what I am trying to say.

Waves had the same parabola, regardless of restrictions/measures.

The highest waves occured when we wore masks!

But yes, you are right, if your subject matter is just the fringe effects of restrictions and how they impacted covid overall, we are arguing past each other.

I am saying restrictions didnt have any significant effect on the impact of covid.

And you seem to be focused on which of the inconsequential restrictions was most inconsequential to Covid.

Good talkimg to you though and I know you mean well and have the public's best interest at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

Masks were useful in 2020 because there was very low levels of virus in the population, this is where masks have an impact. Your point about keeping the hospitals under control was shown to be down to lockdown not masks. When lockdown was lifted masks did not work. There is not or never was a scientific consensus that masks alone have a significant impact on virus spread when levels in the population are high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭walus

The NY Times even go as far as claim that ‘The masks mandates did nothing’:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/21/opinion/do-mask-mandates-work.html

The most recent science suggests that there is no evidence that masks make/made any difference in reducing the spread of respiratory illness. Population-level benefits to mask mandates were apparently zero.

Most of those policies of dealing with covid were not based on real science but on an illusion of science. It was always going to take time for the true scientific consensus to be established. Finally we are getting there at the speed of science, the real science.

Post edited by walus on

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,905 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's an opinion piece about the mandates.

Masks themselves reduce aerosols/droplets from the mouth/nose, which is how an infectious virus transmits. Flu didn't disappear that year for no reason.

How effective it was across populations who took those masks off when they get home, socialized with people privately, etc is up for minor debate (mainly just internet debate at this stage)

Most people don't mind having to wear a mask during a pandemic, if something similar happens in future I'm sure we'll have mask mandates to err on the side of caution and reduce the spread. Likewise we will always have individuals who will rail against measures no matter what the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Starmix66

It's becoming quite obvious that there was an agenda behind all the restrictions, lockdowns and especially the mask mandates.

Leaving aside such things as controlling and conditioning the population, enforcing behavioral changes, etc, at the very basic level restrictions and masks were just introduced to be seen to be doing something... quick, adopt the authoritarian Chinese approach.

(As a related aside, the Chinese approach was so good they had to cave in and lift restrictions because the Communist Party was under threat, I wonder what would have happened here in good auld Ireland if they tried to drag our restrictions out?)

The sad thing is, even though a paper such as the New York Times is saying the effects of masks were zero and just a knee jerk reaction to be seen to be doing something, pro-maskers won't believe it.

Now, if the same publication said that washing your hands three times before leaving the house would kill covid, then everyone would be at it.

Pro-maskers believe what they want to believe, and when the paper is pushing the message they want it to push, then they'll embrace it wholeheartedly, but when it's going against what they want, it's a case of whoa there Nelly, what are you talking about, you'll kill us all.

We saw it here when Tony finally allowed them to open the doors and get back to normal... the internet and Twitter covid experts absolutely lost their shít and said we're opening too fast, yet the same "experts" had no issue with us being locked into our houses just as fast, if not even faster.

Unfortunately these people have nailed their colours to the mast with really strong nails, and they can't / won't change them overnight. They just plough on and double down.

Thanks be to Jesus the unions didn't get their way over the Christmas flu season, because if they did, seasonal mask wearing would have become a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

You you are conflating lockdowns with mask effectiveness which is being done endlessly on this thread. The only relevant data is what happened when the lockdown was lifted and we continued with masks. The virus ripped through the population.

Sadly this is the real reason why certain individuals were against all measures, a belief that the restrictions were political somehow, a measure by "tyrannical forces" to control them, etc, etc. Alex Jones stuff.

Ah yes, wheel out the conspiracy theory stuff to discredit something you don't agree with... Alex Jones no less, a mighty compliment.

Tell me then, if such "tyrannical forces" didn't exist and they're a figment of our collective imaginations, how was Tony Houlihan able to have the Gardai sent onto the streets of Dublin by posting just one tweet complaining about people who were legally congregating?

So you've admitted that you can't tell how effective they were anyways but a whole population should wear them if another pandemic occured to err on the side of caution... Bizarre.

Id rather look at science and data. The data is already available and it shows mask mandates did nothing. The peer reviewed studies coming out now suggest the same. And to top it all off, a member of our very own anti science NPHET.

Ireland has tyrannical forces?

Just about every country implemented measures, does that mean these "tyrannical forces" were behind the measures in every country?

Well, yeah, to use your term every country had "tyrannical forces" to some degree.

They nearly all copied the Chinese model and ran with it. Restricted our freedoms, movements, social interactions in the name of "public health" before the dust had time to settle on the "science".

It doesn't matter if all the restrictions were introduced in the name of "public health" or "science", the fact remains that if we left our house for the wrong reason, we were liable to get fined and or jailed.

This is a fact.

If you were a desperately lonely person who suffered from depression and needed some form of human interaction, your only option was to go to the local shop and interact with the staff at the till.

You were forced to wear a mask to get into the shop, but what if you couldn't breathe in said mask?

You had to argue the point with the security guard at the front door, and if he let you in, you had to contend with all the disapproving looks from the other punters.

I mean, WTF?

What do you call it if all the freedoms you had grown up with are suddenly taken away from you overnight, and all of a sudden to get to work you needed a letter to get through the Garda checkpoints without getting fined or arrested... but only if you worked in the right job.

I call it overreach, tyranny to a degree... whatever you call it, it was plain wrong.

But hey, do it in the name of "science" or "public health" and it makes it all OK.

Now that time has allowed for the dust to settle on the "mask science" it is starting to show that they were ineffective, and us plebs on the street could have told you that. We don't have degrees in science though so we're just talking rubbish.

There's a lot to be said for real world experiences versus lab conditions.

The whole world lost the run of itself. Some countries were talking about mandatory vaccines... Riots were starting to break out all over Europe.

We're blessed we got Omicron when we did.

Some of the zero COVID countries only ditched restrictions when riots were getting out of hand.

Sometimes you need the public to take control back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

For what feels like the millionth time on this thread, in response to whatever nonsense you are posting any particular day: Masks have been proven to reduce the risk of transmission if worn properly, do you think reducing the rate of transmission when the health services are at risk is a good thing or a bad thing?

I can't say how effective they are in absolute terms, there are too many variables, but they will reduce the risk of transmission. I would absolutely err on the side of caution in terms wearing a mask if I thought it would help, it is a tiny effort to make.

Advertisement