Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italy V Ireland Match thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Italy always fade badly in 6N because they pick up injuries and don't have the panel strength in depth. I don't see them beating Scotland on the road but I predict a Wales draw!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

We need to remember that Italian forwards were stalling our backrow constantly. They were lying on VDF or gabbing him somehow throughout the first half. Same for Doris and Conan. That's why we looked slow and scattered at times. Their rucking was clever but illegal and we should have got more penalties. Other teams will do the same if they can't get away with it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Anyone giving out about Byrne at 10 is completely forgetting how meh Carbery has been for us with the First choice team around him. I thought Casey and Aki were the main source of issues, at least Aki was out of position.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ah I’d agree you have to pick a point, but it is going to be arbitrary.

Another way to look at it would be the points scored over that period and that’s trending upwards.

It’s definitely the best Italian side over that period (which, as a side note, is great for the competition, you’d love to set them doing well) but it’s probably also the best Irish side.

And that 1.09 point deficit is ALL Ross Byrne's fault.

Absolutely nobody is saying that any more than anyone is saying the defensive issues were ALL his fault.

Posters are entitled to their opinion.

• Advertisement

@snotboogie literally had an extended piece yesterday where he lays 17 out of Italy’s 20 points on Ross Byrne.

Nope. It lays out Ross Byrne’s role in them. That’s different from saying he’s solely to blame for them, or that they were all his fault.

It also includes lines like “Aki primarily to blame”.

Post edited by aloooof on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

What's people's thoughts on the current Ireland team and their improved fortunes? Going into world cup number 1 in the world having beaten all the other top 10 in the year before is a great place to be. But got me thinking why that is....

Is it

Better individual players than any time going into world cup? Personally I don't think so, lots of players since the year 2000 Id have way before current starters and have probably seen better starting 15s at times. Although debatable.

Better 23 and squad depth? Very possibly, we do have depth now.

Better coaching? I believe this is a big thing, Farrells Ireland play better brand of rugby than Schmidt/Kidney/O Sullivans Ireland. Very few mistakes and we don't lose games we should be winning any more by the looks of it, even the 50/50 games we are coming out on top by the odd point now. Great mindset by the looks of things.

Opposition dropping away? England in disarray, Wales in a mess, New Zealand being at their weakest over last 2 years since I've ever watched them (they've just come off 25 years or so of golden generations though, some of the best players we will ever see) Australia not being vintage side but still decent, although to be fair Scotland and France are as good at the moment as they have been. South Africa reigning champions and sometimes politics/economics gets in their way. Dangerous animals though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Biggest danger is if/when we start believing in our own publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Didn't anyone else notice how close Choo Choo Stu was defending to Ross Byrne. It might have been a called tactic, but it did give Aki and Lowe a lot of ground to cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

In fairness, for the interception, Aki wasn't "primarily" at fault. He was entirely and exclusively at fault.

If you're going to throw a no-look pass under zero pressure and with no cover in the back field, you'd damn well better get it to a team-mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Big Stu has been very impressive this campaign. His ability to truck up ball and get his hands free really keeps defenses guessing. He's also been excellent at taking slow ball to the line and gaining yards to allow for a quicker recycle. It gives us another option at centre and with Ringrose, Henshaw, Aki and himself we are in good shape.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Lowe bit in on defence at least 3 times that led directly to Italian line breaks and 1 try. He was good in attack but his defense could have cost us in a tighter game

There were multiple times when Conan got run over in defence and in attack he was completely ineffective in those tap and gos. (Neither was Doris or JVDF)

Surely it's time to give Coombes a chance in the 20 Jersey. Conan added nothing yesterday.

We were doing the same too tbf.

In this instance the Italian was lying on the ball trying to roll away but Conan was holding him in. Casey had to dig it out, we slowed our own ball down and it almost prevented us from scoring a try a few seconds after this

Post edited by Akrasia on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sigh, plus ca change

There were two reasons our defense was so out of kilter yesterday.

Ringrose not being there and aki not being ringrose.

What did the

"Sigh, plus ca change"

Refer to?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

What yesterday confirmed is that, while our depth of talent is better than ever, once you strip out enough front liners team effectiveness/cohesion is impacted.

We will probably still win most matches but it’s not as certain as with most front liners available

Almost all of the changes were injury enforced. We can't look at this as a lesson that we should only ever play the same 23 in the big games.

Selection should reward form over fitness. When Bealham went off, Tom O Tool performed better imo.

We learned Aki isn't a good 13 and playing 2 12s doesn't work. Farrell should have picked Osbourne at 13 instead of trying to force cohesion by playing players out of position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,344 ✭✭✭✭phog

JOB and Crowley made noticable difference to our attack once they came on, unfortunately, they weren't on long enough to learn much from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

How would the 2015 team missing, Kano, McCaw, Carter, Nonu and Smith have done against that Italy team. Hard to tell.

The game was only in the balance because of the intercept. Which was a really poor decision by Aki. If he had passed to anyone else other than Byrne there, we would have scored because of the hole Bruno left.

We also had two tries disallowed for knock on’s with the line at our mercy. There were times in the game we went flat. Particularly the third quarter.

The Italians were also very good yesterday. Their scramble defence was quite good. Their attack looked like organized chaos and exploited the fact we had a 12 playing 13. With a last minute change.

I think there’s a chance he could slip out of the 23 for the next 2 games. I’d prefer to see either or Coombes or Baird in the 20 shirt, especially for the England game.

That doesn’t change my substantive point tho; people are attributing arguments to people that they’re just not making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The overall thrust of the post in question was that Byrne contributed nothing in attack and was a huge liability in defence.

Neither of those is correct. The semantics of exactly what he said aren't really relevant when the overall message is so far off the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Only watched game today. I think a lot of very negative views here.

of course a last minute change to 13 would cause issues. Especially with Aki who is not an out and out 13. Yes Aki should do better but the team didn’t have him in place all week.

also thought Byrne did very well in a mismatch team. Attacking shape looked great. On another day there was 2 or 3 more tries out there. Credit to Italian defence

standouts for me were VDF, keenan, Doris. Vdf was probably my motm. Thought kelleher showed signs of his old self too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'd add to that the improvements in reffing.

When you think back to all the stuff McCaw used to get away with (and the ABs in general).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think its highly ironic that we of all teams would complain about other teams being illegal at the ruck. We are probably best in the world at getting away with dodginess on offensive breakdown. Its one of the reasons our ball is so quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think Leinster have produced several world class elite players at the same time, Farrell was in some trouble and he decided to double down on Leinster, modelled the system around theirs and concentrated on players who can fit that system and cohesion above all else. Its worked fantastically. We basically have club level cohesion in the international game which is not normal.

On top of that the level of coaching is great. Our point of difference is the breakdown.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i think thats slightly unfair to Mike Catt who hasn't wavered from his attacking philosophy even when he was at italy. Farrell brought Catt in knowing how he wanted to attack, so it wasnt a change of system to suit leinster players, but more an attacking philosophy which Lancaster has leinster playing with as well, to a degree. So leinster player suit Catts system better, rather than Catt or Farrell changing anything to suit the leinster system.

Advertisement