Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary households charged a % for big businesses electricity, for 12 years!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,382 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I’d be out protesting these cnuts before the refugees

• Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The most astonishing thing about it is how little people seem to care? I've talked to people in the real world about it and most people are just resigned to the fact that it's happened. There are also others that had no idea it happened at all. But the overwhelming response has been meh.

Even on here, we have a thread that's just barely 3 pages long.

Meanwhile there's a load of gobshites pissing and moaning about "wOkE" day in, day out in threads that go on for bloody months.

We're well used to being screwed, unfortunately. It's nothing compared to major issues and we've been desensitised

• Registered Users Posts: 83,382 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This would be an easy win tho

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah for sure, I cant believe how little traction this story has gotten. Its the same with the PMPA levy we are all paying on our insurance, that was supposed to be finished years ago yet it is still in place.

Its like the old story that if you want to steal millions and get away with it the best way to do it is take small sums of money off a large amount of people.

Im interested to hear how much this actually is per household. Because first there was a figure of 50 euro a year (x12 years=600) then that was changed to 50 euro for the entire 12 years and now its changed again to 89 euro. The whole thing smells dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The overall scheme was 600. The refund is for a smaller amount in how the scheme was applied. It is not a refund of the entire scheme deductions.

Has it changed to 89 euros or is that a different issue?

Mentions:

a payment of €89.10 as the charge to fund renewables is not needed due to the high wholesale price of electricity.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0209/1355695-cru-on-electricity-subsidy/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I sent an FOI request to EI asking exactly how much I have been overcharged.

Reply below

I refer to your request received 8th February 2023 made under the Freedom of Information Act 2014 (“FOI Act”), under which you sought:

Information has come to light that as domestic customers, we were overcharged from 2009 to 2022 as a result of the misapplication of support measures to your 1,500 largest power consumers.

We wish to request under the freedom of information act, details of the total amount we were overcharged from the period of 01/01/2009 to the 31/12/2022”.

I confirm that having caused searches to be carried out, I am satisfied that no records falling within the scope of your request exist, your request is therefore refused under section 15(1)(a) of the FOI Act …’the record concerned does not exist or cannot be found after all reasonable steps to ascertain its whereabouts have been taken’.

ESB Networks does not bill individual customers for Distribution Use of System (“DUoS”) charges. Rather, as the Distribution System Operator, ESB Networks invoices each electricity supplier for DUoS charge based on the number of individual customers supplied by those suppliers, categories of those customers and the customers’ electricity demand. The electricity suppliers then pass on network charges to customers using their own billing systems, and DUoS is a component of the overall electricity bill that customers receive from their suppliers.

Therefore, ESB Networks do not therefore have sight of any misallocations associated with individual customers because of the Large Energy Users (” LEU”) Rebalancing mechanism.

ESB Networks has been engaging with the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (“CRU”) on this matter for some time. The process and the mechanism for finalising the rebalancing of the relevant tariffs is still being determined by the CRU and will require CRU approval in due course. We are continuing to engage with CRU on this matter.

This overallocation to the domestic customers has been built up gradually over the years of the LEU rebalancing mechanism. We would anticipate that the required mechanism to address the matter will be known in the third quarter of 2023 as part of the annual CRU tariff setting arrangements.

We would also like to re-state that, as noted by the CRU in the Oireachtas committee, ESB Networks did not financially benefit from this error.

Right to Appeal

You may appeal any decision by writing to the ESB Networks DAC. Freedom of Information Office, 4th Floor, Three Gateway, East Wall Road, Dublin 3, D03 R583, Ireland, or by emailing foi@esbnetworks.ie seeking an internal review of the matter.

A fee of €30 (€10 for medical card holders) may apply for such an appeal. There is no fee for internal review applications concerning only personal information, or in relation to a decision to impose a fee or deposit.

You should make your appeal within four weeks of the date of response (although late appeals may be permitted in certain circumstances). The appeal will involve a complete reconsideration of the matter by a more senior member of ESB Networks staff and a decision will be communicated to you within three weeks.

Should you have any questions or concerns regarding the above please feel free to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Joe Lawlor

Financial Performance and Governance Manager

ESB Networks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Did you send the FOI to Electric Ireland who forwarded it to ESB Networks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

ESB Networks does not bill individual customers for Distribution Use of System (“DUoS”) charges. Rather, as the Distribution System Operator, ESB Networks invoices each electricity supplier for DUoS charge based on the number of individual customers supplied by those suppliers, categories of those customers and the customers’ electricity demand. The electricity suppliers then pass on network charges to customers using their own billing systems, and DUoS is a component of the overall electricity bill that customers receive from their suppliers.

So are ESB are saying they have a formula based on total customers, customer catergory and electricity demand, which they then use to bill the suppliers who bill you. So they could just ask who you were with each year, what category you were in each year and how much your usage was each year and calculate it using whatever formula they used originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mvt

Fair play on the FOi request- believe you would have had to pay for that so much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Just checked, sent it to ESB Networks.

Thought I was sending to EI.

I'll search for an email address and resend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

Reductions for businesses but not residential customers

Just got an email from Energia saying they are repaying me the €89 spread out over the next 7 months bills. The speed of which this refund is happening makes me smell a rat, we have had no information about how they have broken it down everything has been done in secret from the deal itself to the refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

ok so it seems the email I got about 89 euro refnud is a separate issue related to the PSO levy in 2022-23 and not what the thread is about, ie overcharging 2009-2020

Advertisement