Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Football League 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭PressRun

Canavan is a great pundit. He is very up to date on current tactics, styles of play etc. and is very analytical down to small details. He's comes off very informed imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayus if McStay keeps getting a tune out of Mayo like this during the summer. They will be building a statue to him in Mayo. I nearly typed Ballyhadreen! Was thinking Roscommon-Mayo. Both form teams in the country.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Serious energy about this Mayo team this year. Maybe Lee Keegan will rejoin the group for the summer.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Tight one for clare, would have been some result for them to beat the dubs in croker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Mayo seem to have gotten a march on most teams this year in terms of fitness and S&C. They were training hard long before anyone else..... or ^ahem* 'trial games' 😉. Add in a feel good hype and enthusiastic bounce from a new high profile management team and they are looking good.

This early advantage will reduce though as other teams close the gap in terms of fitness and preperations.

Early days.

Hard physical game between Kerry and Armagh earlier, no dirty stuff but no quarter asked either. Armagh very hesitant in attack though, barely hitting double figures for points scored again which isn't good enough at this level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The S&C advantage, and the new management bounce should have been more likely to show in their first two games. But they only managed draws in those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

More than just McStay, Rochford and especially Buckley have a huge influence on the way Mayo are playing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

Dublin were abysmal

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was thinking that when that young Kerry fella Dara Moynihan was interviewed as MOTM. He started going on about not being pretty but ‘sticking to the process’.

I remember the Dubs used to talk like that to the extent the on going joke was Dublin stick to the process and didn’t even over celebrate points.

I think it is vitally important teams have a ‘process’ system whatever you call it. The top teams all have a system - an identity.

Dublin have none as far as I can see. Shocking how quickly a team can go from calculated control/ heads up - percentage play- to rudderless stuff.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

What was that Donegal penalty given for? Gleeson in goal should have done better both before the penalty and the shot for the penalty. Matthew Tierney one Galway player that took the bull by the horns with a good goal soon afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Shockingly bad to make such a mess of a punched clearance especially when it's obvious this year he's been let off the hook by not being expected to catch any balls in his square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

was it for holding on too long? Starnge one. Also how many steps did Tierney get away with. Happens every week where goals are scored with 7+ steps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork banging in 4 first half goals, nice to see Maguire get one after last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Roscommon did not look good today in Clones. They have Mayo at home, Kerry away and Donegal at home to come. They might soon be looking nervously at the prospect of going down with 6 points.

"On just four occasions in the last 20 years has a team been demoted from the Allianz Football League’s Division 1 with six points – Roscommon 2003, Meath ’04 and ’06 and Cork ’16.

Consider between 2003 and ’07 there were eight-team top-flight groups, A and B, and it’s clear that going down having secured 43% of the total points available across the seven rounds is a rarity. On the 20-year basis, a 16% chance.

As they sit on the top of the table with six points after just three rounds, Roscommon will also be buoyed that they have surpassed the totals when they were demoted in 2017 (2), ’19 (3) and ’21 (0). They lost a relegation play-off to Armagh two years ago having been beaten in their three round games in the covid-influenced Division 1 North."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

every team in the country was playing trial games before the allowed date infairness

• Registered Users Posts: 18,653 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

D1 is looking dicy a team could get relegated by mistake. I think there might even be a team relegated on six points. Monoghan have got the show back on the road. Mayo Roscommon game has now extra significance a draw will definitely make both teams safe. Roscommon could struggle to pick up any more points in this League

Tyrone on two point with Donegal and Armagh on 3. Significant games now Armagh Donegal next weekend who ever wins will take a big step away from relegation. Armagh has two home games. Will Galway have enough to beat Monoghan who ever wins reaches six points and safety 9 out of 10 years on D1 stats

Kerry V Tyrone. I think Kerry biggest fear will be getting out of Omagh without picking up serious injuries. The next round of games will push 1-2 more teams toward safety

Kerry looked leggy on Saturday night. Stacks is a tight pitch and suited the defensive Armagh style allowing them to get numbers around the player with the ball. Kerry missed four frees that they normally would not similar to the Donegal game. There ability to kick across the pitch will come to the fore out in bigger championship pitches and in the summer heat.

Dublin should get promoted but they should consider themselves lucky, Cork and Clare should have beaten them. I expect Derry to beat them. I cannot see them winning Sam this year or for the next 3-5 years.

Typical Cork they took too much out of beating Kerry in the McGrath cup.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Kildare looking like relegation candidates, only 2 points on the board and that was a smash & grab against Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 26,348 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They still have Limerick to play but sadly for them so do Clare. Cant see anything other than Limerick and Kildare to go down.

Disappointing for a county that looked to be building something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,086 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i am not so sure , just say kildare and clare finish on 4 points kildare will stay up on head to head , basically clare have to win next week against cork and the last game v limerick to stay up , forget about them getting anything up in owenbeg its a fortress

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Throw ball? Tg4 were going on like it was a curious award of a pen. Seemed fairly clear throw on first viewing..

• Advertisement

i think there is one more left to die before that happens , its a good job heffos army kept the noise down passing the likes of Glasnevin or christ church cathedral back in the day or ye could be in the same boat 🤣

his attention to detail is fantastic , plus hes a very funny man to go with it , hes too professional on rte to show it ,great coup for rte

• Registered Users Posts: 26,348 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Looking at in on the Allianz Sunday and it was not a throw ball.

Slava Ukrainii

I think it was but I’m slightly baffled at the amount of people who say it was legit. How do you think the ball got the 6 yards of so from the goal line to the other defender?

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Was the ball not inside the goal anyway? I thought it hit the roof of the net

Looking at the games left

Mayo have 6 points and Roscommon, Donegal and Monoghan. They should get to at least 10 points and make the Final

Roscommon have 6 as well with Mayo Kerry and Donegal. The steam may have gone out of them and could struggle to pick up any more points of they take a couple of trouncing they could still end up relegated but 6 points is still safety

Monaghan has four points with Galway Tyrone and Mayo to play will probably pick up 2+ points to reach safety. The match against Galway w however wins should be safe with the other team still in slight relegation trouble. Galway are at home so I will give them the nod

Galway have four with Monoghan Armagh and Kerry to play again should pick up 2+ to reach safety. They have Monoghan and Kerry at home.

Kerry have four with Tyrone, Roscommon and Galway to play. They should manage to pick up 2+ to reach safety

I suspect that Mayo and one of the above four to be league finalists. Kerry Galway game may decide who is the other finalist

Donegal have Armagh, Mayo and Roscommon. The match against Armagh will probably decide who continues in relegation trouble. Donegal is away a draw would be great for them but I will go e the not to Armagh. The only consultation is that Donegal have Roscommon in the last match. It might be enough to save them however it is an away fixture

Armagh have a tough task they have Donegal, Galway and Tyrone. They have Donegal and Galway at home but must travel to Tyrone for final match.

Tyrone have Kerry, Monoghan and Armagh. Again they have a tough task they need the points next Sunday against Kerry

Next round of matches are crucial for Tyrone, Armagh, Monoghan and Donegal probably for Kerry and Galway as well but not as much.

Real danger for some is 6 points may not be enough as no team is in safety yet

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭PressRun

Derry look very balanced at the moment. I think they'll take the Dubs next weekend. Kind of fancy them to go very well in the championship too.

• Advertisement

Tyrone,Donegal looking most likely to fall through the trap door. It's also looking like a repeat of last years Div 1 final between Kerry and Mayo.

Advertisement