Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

I think we have had our fill of this tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

You can say that but he is playing better than he was when he made the team in the last RWC...

I don't think you will find much in Connacht that would take Byrne over Carty... Think is, if your pack doesn't dominate then Byrne doesn't impose himself in the game... He has really little exposure to that.. Other provinces don't have the Leinster scrum and need there backline to preform..

We need a outhalf that brings the ball to the line in pressure situations.. O'Gara has clearly stated that Out Halves have to play the postition week in week out... So we really should be only looking at players with 800+min a season at out half...

If you are not getting that then goto a Province that will give you that. Burns and Carty places are there for the taking. They have 3000mins of rugby a season between them...

I'm at at a complete loss. What exactly is your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

He was ... Fine. I really wish Farrell had given more than 2 mins to the other 10 on the bench, especially as we were 2 scores ahead for most of the last quarter and Byrne wasn't generating much attacking threat or defensive value.

I think Byrne did contribute to Ireland's 1st try when he carried the ball to the line and delayed his pass, but for the rest of the game he was very deep and static.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It doesn't matter how he played compared to his own form when he made the last WC. It matters how he's playing compared to other players now. And evidently, even if you can't see it, he's not playing to the other's level consistently or to a degree Farrell and co want.

It also doesn't matter what fans of a team think about their fly half over another either. Even if you ignore that a team's fans are massively biased both in terms of preference and familiarity, it again only matters what the coaches think. And again... they seem to think Carty isn't to the level of the other fly halves ahead of him. Even if we accept the premise, there's also plenty of evidence that Carty also doesn't impose himself on teams when his pack is on the back foot.

It also doesn't matter (bit of a theme here) what O'Gara thinks about fly halves as O'Gara isn't coaching the Irish team, nor is his word gospel when it comes to fly halves ... except for the team he coaches.

It especially doesn't matter because, to pick the one you chose, Byrne has 876 minutes for Leinster so far this season, which is ... carry the one ... yep, over 800. To compare, 964' for Burns and 950' for Carty.

(Going back the last two seasons, Byrne 1,204 and 1,225, Burns 1,760 and 845, Carty 1506 and 1,247 - pretty close range across the course of those two seasons say, as well as this one)

Of all time? Just in Ireland?

Sexton is just a human. How high of a pedestal do you want us to put him on?

In the past year, Sexton has been good but not infallible

We've built our entire international team around him so he's integral, but that's a strategic decision Ireland made. And it's a very risky strategy given his age and recent injury profile

If we're stuck with Ross Byrne as our 10 for the RWC and no properly tested alternatives it could go badly

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

"no properly tested alternatives"

apart from every other provincial out half, their back ups, pretenders and their grannies.....

They've all got serious minutes playing with the first team in meaningful games? I must have missed those...

Crowley played well against Australia having been given an hours notice that he was starting, alongside a scrum half who was completely unprepared to play with him, but was then dropped afterwards.

There have been no real efforts to develop alternatives to Sexton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tmc1963

Maybe if you watched Top14 rugby you would be more enlightened - his team mates love him.

Good for them.

Sexton will go down in rugby history. Russell won't. He's a slightly better Madigan.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

There has been every effort, but you can't materialize a test level out half out of thin air.... But of course you already know this. This argument has been made over and over and over with the same resolution.

Every out half has been tried. Serious time has been given but carbery but he's just never got back to the required level.

Crowley is a novice at this level, let the kid learn his trade before putting him under them pressure of test level Rugby. Her needed to become Munster 10 before being a realistic back up at Ireland level. Look at JJ hanrahan to see what can happen with a young out half who has loads of potential at a young age but never fullfill it.

You need to be called out on this invention of yours that 'he plays for Russell'. His team mates, Racing and Scotland, appear to disagree with you - I wonder who we should listen to?

He's quite clearly the best fly half in the world at the moment, as any person with any knowledge of rugby has acknowledged in recent weeks.

He's a massive threat but if you are convinced that all that's needed is turning up at Murrayfield in 2 weeks for the GS and all will be fine, that's grand with me. I am old enough to remember England trundling up there as much stronger favourites for the GS and getting turned over.

You have called me out.

He is not the best fly-half by any stretch of the imagination.

He's flakey when the chips are down.

Watch him in two weeks time with a proper defensive line. Get back to me then.

So many silly kicks and off loads. Our back three will have a field day.

That is just infantile.

I think I'll listen to some of the great fly halfs of the world from the last few decades when I'm forming an opinion on Finn Russell if you don't mind.

Out of interest, presumably if you were Andy Farrell in 2 weeks you'd be saying something along the lines of:

"..nothing to worry about this lad Russell - everything he's done has just been for himself. Ignore him and concentrate on........."

Are you actually so young and new to rugby that you didn't see the most recent Lions tour?

Infantile. Curious turn of phrase.

Edit: I'd be putting him and the scrum under pressure. Let him do his thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I've never understood the slagging Russell gets on here. My opinion has come around to that he's actually a very good fly-half. He's had his attitude problems but he's in fine form. Dangerous player who could unlock us very easily if we don't watch it.

• Advertisement

Comparing Russell to Madigan is very obviously infantile - however I suspect I’ve been ‘trolled’ or whatever you like to call it while thinking I was having a genuine conversation.

For what it’s worth I don’t actually give a monkeys about your minority views - I enjoy great rugby and Russell makes me smile.

Calling me a troll. That is amusing.

There us a report option if you think so.

I think Russell is a good player, but he isn't a great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

I accept its a small minority view but I think Carty is a better 10 than Byrne and has more credit in the bank than Crowley.It is too easy to dismiss the difference playing behind the Leinster juggernaut than the relatively flimsy resources out west.Byrne is definitely a better place kicker but I think Carty is a better all round 10.Dont think it matters much as Carty is unlikely to get a go now but I think he goes in the hard done by category with John Cooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I think it’s a reaction to the ridiculous hype he gets in media - particularly itv and bbc here in UK. He is not as bad as people say but he definitely isn’t as good. Put it this way, he is not 1m pound player that Bath says he is from a pure rugby perspective. He has been good this 6N though

in my opinion he is a great player but I think I would take most other 6N out halves ahead of him at test level (based on form over last few years not just this year). . More up to debate at club level.

maybe I’m being harsh but he lacks game management and plays best when Scotland are out of game anyway. Doesn’t know when to turn it off.

It would be a very small minority.

Carty is a fine player, but to where international standard.

Finn Russell is a fantastic player. He is sometimes a bit too ambitious but he can unlock defenders and if he was playing with a better national team than Scotland he would have won his team trophies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Yea Finn Russell is a top class 10. I prefer Sexton but other than that he’s miles ahead of any Irish 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

There still seem to be a lot of people who are quite annoyed that Russell was chosen ahead of Sexton for the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ersatz

I’m no Sexton is god fundamentalist but you are completely exaggerating Russell’s value here. If he was anything like the best ten in the world Scotland would have beaten France handily. He kicked away decent attacking ball 3 times in the French 22 when the French line out was humming. He tried and fluffed several less than 50/50 offloads and between himself and Tuipoloto they undermined several other Scottish attacks. He also set a tone among the Scottish backs late in the game to play high risk rugby when a steadier hand would have Led a controlled fight back that might have won the game. With him at ten Scotland will lose more games than they win but score occasional magic tries that keep people believing. He’s a bluffer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

He also set a tone among the Scottish backs late in the game to play high risk rugby when a steadier hand would have Led a controlled fight back

I disagree with this tbh; when it's late in the game, the clock running down and you're in your own half, needing a try, that's exactly the time you need to try something rather than needing a steady hand.

Advertisement