Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

If Limerick beat us in the last game it will probably come down to scoring difference to decide relegation and unfortunately we have yet to go to Dublin and Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

Louth have 2 points on the board after yesterday and are an awkward defensive team to play against I could see them beating both Meath who looked clueless at the weekend and Kildare who are no great shakes and finishing on 6 points, Meath are on 4 points and will probably beat limerick giving them 6, Kildare have 2 after yesterday and I would fancy them to beat Meath and Limerick giving them 6. We won't get anything from Dublin or Derry, be hopeful of getting 2 off Limerick and I think Cork have gone up a level and even though it's on in Ennis I wouldn't fancy us to beat them. That would leave us on 4 and relegated with Limerick. That is the stark reality. We will have to beat Cork to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Bar Dublin and Derry this division is open county, cork are a great team to raise their game against the big teams in fairness, there is a lot we could learn from them , they play with zero fear against Dublin's or Kerrys , but in truth they are no better then us , it's a very winnable game

Just a pity we didn't have that same level of confidence when we were 5 points up last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭fire_man

I can't see Clare beating Cork this year.They have improved under new management and have some quality coming through. Could be tough few weeks ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jamesconlan85

By the time Clare play Cork Keelan Sexton, Ciarán Russell, Darren O Neill, Brendy Rouine will all be on starting 15. Likely Ikem will start aswell

So dats 5 starters to come back into contention for dat game dat could be decisive on home ground. Even Cillian Rouine could be back for dat match aswell. Depends what starting 15 Clare have available to them my guess is they will go very strong if all available. No doubt Clare vs Cork is a 4pter for both counties. I can see Louth finishing on 4pts so 6pts will keep Clare in the division

• Advertisement

i wouldnt worry , its always doomsday on here especially in football , i have the same opinion , the next two games are crucial for louth , two games they would fancy themselves in , the last two are against cork home and dublin away . so the next two weeks are huge for micky hartes men

• Registered Users Posts: 14,732 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

A scoreless last 20 minutes + 5 mins added time (last score 49th minute) sees Clare go from leading 1-12 to 0-09 ending up losing 1-12 to 0-16 vs Dublin

Dublin 0-16 Clare 1-12

wining of the game in this one came from a disgraceful call in injury time when ronan lanigan was fouled in midfield and the free awarded to dublin who worked the ball down field for con o'callaghan to fist over 4 minutes in to injury time , otherwise a fantastic performance by our lads ,

dublin in truth deserved the victory , had a strong first 1/4 and strong 4th 1/4 which amounted to 10 of the home sides scores , in the last five minutes we were probably only hanging on

at the 45 minute mark clare lead 1-12 to 10 but the dubs didnt panic and picked clare off on the counter and broke for well taken scores on 5 occasions before the final whistle , from a clare point of view emmet mcmahon , eoin cleary and dermot coughlain were excellent gavin cooney took his goal well before the break to leave it 1-8 to 0-8 at half time

two eire og boys in either corner were also excellent lanigan and manus , the foul on lanigan at the end will infuriate collins as the point would have been a huge result for us , for the best part of the 70 dublin wre in a game and the 20000 or so home supporters looked worried , the better conditioned side won , cork next week is a huge game now for us , disappointed not to get something out of tonight though

clare scorers

Gavin Cooney 1-2

Emmitt Mcmahon 0-4

Eoin clary 0-4

dermot coughlan 0-1

podge collins 0-1

dont shoot the messenger in terms of sound or quality , i was only sent these on

What can you say, I had this one written off as a trimming, but when you think their on the floor a Collins Clare team will come with a big performance.

Some brilliant performances again, thought Cillian Brennan had a great game on Con O Callaghan and Bohannan and Russell gave bags of it to Fenton and Lahiff in the middle of the field, Lahiff was taken off with alot of football still to be played. Stephen Ryan was excellent in goals and dropping him for the first two games was a crazy and costly decision. The backs as a unit were solid and Cleary, Cooney, Coughlan and McMahon shot thd lights out for 45 minutes.

Bench impact is killing this team, but hey the best players in the county are in the panel it's just that the pool is shallow and why wouldn't it be in a "hurling county".

Dublin were able to bring on Jack McCaffery, Eoin Murchin and Niall Scully etc. Which squeezed them over the line.

The conditioning of the Clare players is phenomenal and the game plan was excellent for 45 minutes but sadly it is 0 points again for all that effort and relegation is a real danger.

I have to say they deserved at least a draw for what they put into that match.

• Advertisement

yeah excellent performance , we backed ourselves tonight , had we done that last week we would have won comfortably , the difference between ourselves and cork next week will be our full back line , them 3 boys were excellent tonight , i actually think that brian hurley and stephen sherlock will have a hard day chasing their men

dublin were at their brutal best for the last 15 minutes tonight ,they killed us with excellent defensive turnovers, our conditioning is excellent , its almost scary to think there is another level , dublin found it tonight though ! crazy

future very bright for clare football , two young lads from eire og at cornor back , Emmitt McMahon looks like gary Brennan's reincarnation , gavin cooney demot coughlin , with brian mcmahon and young meany from lissycasy to come we are in very good hands footballing wise

I don't agree that Clare need to find another level conditioning wise. The difference in the last 15 minutes was the difference in squad depth. Dublin made 5 substitutions two at halftime and 3 between mid second half and the 60th minute. Clare made a substitution at halftime another on the 67th minute and threw in a half fit Keelan Sexton on the 70th minute, that's the difference strength in depth, that's nobody's fault, we have a tiny pool to pick from in football pockets of what's considered a hurling county. Who ever is in charge of S and C is doing an excellent job.

An argument could be made that we were missing our first choice midfield and best forward through injury, but in an attritional sport like this injuries are part of the game and squad depth is key, that is why it's nigh on impossible for Clare to be asked to compete with the Kerrys, Dublins, Galways etc who have vast player numbers.

Don't jinx us by mentioning Hurley and Sherlock, Cork always produce lethal inside forwards, an area Clare are crying out for strength in.

Clare 6-25 1-18 Wexford

A facile 20 point win for the hurlers in wexford park , the home side made several experimental changes to the starting 15 , while clare went all in with nearly the full starting championship , first ten minutes the homeside were competitive but after that huge amount of space opened up in front of the clare half forward line and wexford were duly punished

first half goals from aidan mccarthy , david reidy , tony kelly and peter duggen , along with several aidan mccarthy points had clare 20 points up at the break , second half started like the first with wexford being competitive once more , but it didnt last , late goals from mark rodgers and david reidy put to bed any gloss on the scoreboard

excellent performances from david fitzgearld , aidan mccarthy david reidy , ryan taylor and adam hogan , while it was good to see the likes of kelly and conlon back it shows we probably need the panel to be 100% fit come championship to be in the mix again

AidanMcCarthy 1-10;

David Reidy 2-1;

Tony Kelly 1-2

Peter Duggan 1-1

Mark. Rodgers 1-0;

David Fitzgerald 0-3

Ian. Galvin 0-2

Cathal. Malone 0-1

Diarmuid. Ryan, 0-1

,Adam. Hogan, 0-1

David. Conroy 0-1

Eamon. Foudy0-1

Ryan Taylor 0-1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Some posters criticizing Duggan the last few weeks. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT, JOE BROLLY? 🤣😂

Aidan McCarthy is looking like one of the top hurlers in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

Windy, do you have the panel of 26 for todays game?

i didnt see any changes on the subs bench, subs used were conroy, rodgers , oran cahil,aaron fitzgerld and morey

i was nearly dropping him off the panel a few weeks ago 🤐

if mccarthy stays fit he will be a huge addition from last year ,

Serious hurlers who can win their own ball. Big and physical too - can't go wrong with that mix.

stats from the game today , the big one that illustrates just how much space we were given today is written across the 6-18 scored from play

if anything happens injury wise we are in huge trouble , two or three lads out and we are a different team , were were without McCarthy and and conlon last year for the all ireland semi and look what happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

who is this Oran Cahill guy? Don't know anything about him

wonder what the story is with Meehan

Most teams - apart from Limerick - in the same boat.

from eire og , only a young lad but promising , meehan is injured i hear but not sure

i still think the walls are closing in on limerick , tipp and galway are leading the way , and why i say them other then kilkenny is ye have huge work done under age that always stands to a team , in fairness bonner last year was a poor joke of a selection as manager , cahill jumping ship was a huge addition , its going to be a really tough ask getting out of munster this year limerick will make the final again but i dont think they will win every game ,

its massive for us to win the first game as we have limerick the following week , ye have a break after it , have a word with liam , Nollie or even johney "the hotpoint" hayes to go easy in the first round , although i think the players are banned from talking to Johnny with a couple of years now 🤣

Tipp and Galway are leading the way?! Come on!

You're in the fourth year of a project and ran Limerick to the minimum in a championship final last year.

We're not even half way through the league in year 1.

I don't think anyone comes close to Limerick's 1-9 at the moment. If you're going to break Limerick, a team has to win that battle. I don't see a team around to do that yet.

Clare have a real chance. Particularly with the growth in form of Fitzgerald, Malone, Duggan and McCarthy. Big, direct hurlers. But they'll need to add nuanced interplay to get over Limerick.

Ye have Limerick six days after Tipp in round one. Six days. So, ye'll have to play the second team against Tipp, the team who didn't win a game last year. And ye'd be right to. Easy one to get ye started.

other then mccarthy we have no real improvement on last year , granted meehan and rodgers are young but they were there last year ,

if you go back to 2013 and 2014 you will see the impact the underage teams had on their senior teams , ye got to the final , with less done then this group , we won the all ireland on the back of 2009/2012/2013 u21 teams

I wouldn't be too hard on the form of players at this stage. Lohan will have them right for championship. He can't care about the league at this stage. It's year four. Lohan and this group has to win something at championship level now.

I think Tipp will have more than a few rookies in the spine of the team this year. It will take a while to get the necessary championship experience.

(And there's no one with the speed of Hotpoint to get a hurlery on the pitch...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

On Tipp 1 doubt I have over Cahill and Bevans is the mess they made of things between the Limerick and Cork games with Waterford last year, their 2 successful years with Waterford were the Covid years.

haha legend of a man ,

at underage pre covid tipp underage were the only county pushing limerick , and during covid ye pushed corks best underage setup in years

i still think that cahill brings huge drive to tipp , year is pressure year for lohan , lets say we lose , and lose to limerick , we have davey fits in thurles two weeks later , lose that and its cutting silage for the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I think Cahill and Mikey Bevans have alot to prove. They've got a reputation built almost solely on two underage teams that won All Irelands as underdogs. I saw both finals. Cork were dire in one and let Tipperary walk through them. Tipp were very good in the 2nd one. That's not taking away from Tipperary . At Waterford Cahill got them to Munster and All Ireland finals. That's an achievement, no doubt . They never threatened Limerick in any of those matches. They never mixed up their tactics . Its all Harum Scarum ...flying around overlaps. Effective at times but stopped ✋️ by limerick and others..

Until Cahill wins something or at least shows he has a plan B then the jury will remain out.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Advertisement