Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

Re.. France v Scotland

What surprised me the most was how effective Scotlands attacking maul was against the French. They made a fair amount of ground each time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

This exact argument could’ve been applied to Byrne just 4 months ago.

Carty’s running out of time, but he was in the picture for the NZ tour. And we’ve seen plenty of changes of 10’s down the depth chart over Farrell’s tenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The most recent Lions tour when Dan Biggar was the starting 10?

I get that you’re a Scottish fan, so will defend him strongly.

Did you watch the Racing V Leinster game in Le Havre? It’s excellent example of how people are so willing to overlook the flaws in Russell’s game. For the moments of brilliance. He was absolutely muck for nearly the entire game. Pulled off one brilliant pass and the commentators rave about it.

That pretty much sums up Finn Russell though as an outhalf. Capable of moments of brilliance in every game. A flair player but overall a poor outhalf. Who is inconsistent in the extreme. He’s as likely to throw a beautiful pass, as he is an intercept.

As for Finn Russell playing for himself. I think maybe you should ask Gregor Townsend what he thinks about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

That is true, I suppose.

I do like him as a player, but international standard he is not. His kicking is awful.

As for rb, I always thought he was 2nd choice. I'm not sure where all the narratives of him being a poor oh came. In saying that, he has improved a lot over the last year.

More than likely in a couple of years, there'll be options. Certainly won't be Carty or Carbery, IMHO.

The thing is tho... on a discussion forum, it kinda does matter.

I've never liked the "he's not playing ... to a degree Farrell and co want / it again only matters what the coaches think" argument. It leaves no room for discussion. Coaches aren't infallible, and posters are entitled to disagree with their decisions.

Fair point on the minutes tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's not slagging Russell, it's just the way he is. He absolutely is a dangerous player - in all senses of the word.

I've no doubt that he'll unlock our defence a couple of times in two weeks. The problem for Townsend is that he'll likely unlock his own defence a few times as well.

Scotland aren't good enough to carry him as a liability, but they're also not good enough to get by without him. So they're pretty stuck - when the alternative is Kinghorn, what else can you do?

Whatever about Sexton, if you gave Townsend the option of Biggar, Farrell or Ntamack, he'd take the hand off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I disagree. There has been an effort, but any effort to build a RWC winning squad that results in relying on a 37/38 year old Out Half who has injured almost as much as he has been fit over the past few years is clearly not good enough. When Sexton pulled out at the last moment before Australia in November, Crowley was thrown in at the deep end and JGP hadn't a clue how to work with him. If Sexton had been give time to recover instead of declaring himself fit all the time, then Crowley or Byrne or Carbery would have had the full week to prepare for that game and would have had a fair shot.

Carbery ws suppsed to be the reserve 10. Farrell stuck with him for 2 years even when he was playing poorly for his province, and then, despite returning to form for his province and playing well for Ireland, on the back of one penalty kick he was dropped out of the squad entirely in favour of Byrne (who is nowhere near good enough IMO and had a poor game this weekend)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Finn Russell is not a 10 that wins trophies, he makes too many glaring errors which get punished in big games. Probably the most overrated player on the planet

It wasn't one penalty kick. That's ridiculous.

Byrne is the 2nd choice and rightly so. His defence, kicking and vision are great. Do I think he's the best thing since sliced pan, no. But it does what it says on the tin.

I was not expecting a sliced pan via Ronseal mixed-metaphor today. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Byrne's defence is not great, He has a vulnerabilities, I think Russel will have a field day chipping in behind him in 2 weeks. his pace is very very poor. Look at the line break last weekend, He was beaten for pace by Andrew porter and if it wasn't for Casey making a huge effort to track back and gather the ball, it would have been a try.

It literally was 1 penalty kick. He came on in that game for the last 8 minutes, made several errors and kicked one kick to secure the win. After that the narrative was all Byrne, Carbery was dropped from the Irish squad for the 6 nations and Crowley went to 3rd choice behind Byrne.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

no need to go into another 5 pages of the same repeated debate any more. Everything that has been needed to be said has already been said over and over. you disagree and thats fine.

The management did not sleep walk into a position where we will be starting a 38 year old out half in the RWC, nor is it their fault no other IQ out half has been able to even get near ousting that 38 yo out half.

The fact that this 38 yo out half has been playing well enough to be nominated for WPOTY in the year before the RWC is a testament to the guy.

Ross Byrne has been playing well enough to oust the incumbent 2nd choice, carbery, and such is life. Crowley has not yet ousted Carbery at Munster, so it would be a pretty outrageous argument to expect him to be the 2nd choice irish outhalf right now, the kid has only 8 professional starts at 10 to his name.

Crowley did absolutely fine in the australia game. he didn't make any major errors and was fully competent, which is exactly what you want any young 22 yo to do on their starting debut in a nov series game. Your post is full of conspiracy theory level stuff. You show a marked misunderstanding about how preparations for test games work, when you think that reserve 10 didn't train with the scrum half the week before a game.

there a free open session in the aviva on the 2nd March, It could be valuable to you to go and have a look at what actually happens in a session

you can get tickets here:

After that the narrative was all Byrne

The narrative?

Do you think what gets said in the media or on social media has any impact on team selection? Spoiler: it doesn't.

It's very likely that the far more mundane reality is that Byrne isn't good enough (I personally don't think he is tbh) but that Crowley isn't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Byrne makes complete sense without Sexton. BUT he needs JGP, Ringrose, Lowe, Keenan and prob Henshaw around him. (+ the 7,8,..9 Leinster forwards)

Park and Ringrose were big losses for his game (familiarity) . That wasn't part of the Farrell plan.

Byrne coped grand considering.

Agree about Carbery. He shouldn't have been dropped from the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

I was just pointing out that he playing better than the last RWC and he is taking far more responsibility.

There is one thing I think we disagree with. Carty definitely brings the ball to the line and pushes things. He has been criticised unfairly for actually doing it too much but in Connacht if expect your pack to win games you better prepare for a lot of losses. This is just the very big contrast between Ross and the other 800min+ outhalves.

It happened during the weekend again, when under pressure and the decision making becomes split second on almost instinct. Ross retreats into the pocket and the other press up and force it. They take on the risk, in fairness Joey had lost that confidence he had in the last few months but he will get it back.

In fairness to Ross he doesn't get in those positions playing URC matches against mainly inferior teams. But you meet this a lot at international level and making those risk calculation on the fly is what makes a international outhalf.

So while I mentioned Carty, I really mean all the other outhalves.

I discount Crowley, Harry Byrne, Frawley... They just don't have enough minutes played and aren't the main decision maker at their province... In fairness to Ross, he gets include for the amount of time he plays in URC.. But no one is looking at Madigan, Conor Fitzgearld (or Ben Healy when available) for Irish International for that reason.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Byrne is going to be one of those players that forever divides opinion because his one major flaw is very obvious to see in pretty much every game. His lack of athleticism is what will ultimately put a ceiling on his career, it's what holds him back. He doesn't attack the line because he's fairly slow. He tends to sit a bit deeper because he's fairly slow. In defence he needs to be minded, not because he can't tackle but because fast players will smoke him.

There were a few instances at the weekend where he looked like he had the turning circle of the Titanic combined with the sprint speed of Marty Moore.

But he is otherwise reliable. You know what you're going to get. His weaknesses are known up front and you can plan for them. Compare this to more mercurial players and you can see why he gets picked. Yea, Carty will attack the line better, but he'll also make more mistakes.

He's the perfect man to come off the bench to see a game out, cause he'll do the basics and do them well. He's not going to change a game, but if Ireland are chasing a game there's 0% chance Sexton is coming off anyway.

I wouldn't have Byrne firmly ahead of Crowley, I think that second spot is still up for grabs. I do think that in the post-Sexton Ireland era we're going to see the 10 jersey rotate between players a lot more than we've been used to in the past.

These are the types of posts I like on the thread. While I don't agree with a good bit of it, it made me think.

Absolutely no poking at other posters and I can see the love of Irish rugby. Its not particularly negative, how can we be with 15 points on the board.

If we all met up for pints and toasties for the next match, they would be robust discussion and friendly arguments, but no aggression or fisty cuffs(I imagine).

So, let's keep it honest and attack the post (you're all wrong by the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I'm biased and even I don't think Carty has found the kind of consistent form to bring himself back into the international conversation. He struggled returning from injury and is still only settling back into the role. He'd need to raise his game significantly to be in contention for a summer internationals opportunity imo. His goal-kicking is always going to be seen as a significant mark against him and he hasn't really tightened up that shortcoming.

I wouldn't have Byrne firmly ahead of Crowley, I think that second spot is still up for grabs.

Definitely still up for grabs... but Crowley only getting two minutes with the game in the bag was interesting. It didn't scream that they want to see more of him.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

To clarify, I don't think it's up for grabs on a match-by-match basis. Byrne will be the man on the bench in Scotland, no question. But while Byrne might be involved in all 5 6N games, he could still drop down the pecking order before the RWC.

I think they wanted to maximise Byrne's time in preparation for Scotland and England, in case he needs to play significant minutes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Agreed.

Russell's qualities and weaknesses are known to those who select him. This Scotland team is built around him & plays a higher risk game than previously. Credit where credit is due. Gilchrist should bear more of any responsibility than Russell for the loss against France.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Here we are banging the drum of Sexton is too old and too brittle. Yet, he's still the man. It's not ideal, it's not guaranteed to work and his form could fall off a cliff.

But why is he still picked? Why are Carty and Carberry out in the cold? Farrell has selected a slow cumbersome unathletic option as the back up. Why?

What has Carberry done to demand selection? Or Carty? Why were they trying to get a look at Frawley at oh?

The answer is most likely that the lads mentioned aren't good enough. Imagine, 37 caps and the best we can say about Carberry is "he was ok". Preparations for the world cup are difficult. Depending on a 37 year old to steer the ship is not great and the fact that nobody else is even in his rear view shows that he's either that good, or that the others are only at a urc level.

It remains to be seen how Ross goes. He deserves his chance and time to bed in. Carberry had plenty of time and opportunity and here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

Any injury updated for Scotch games? Will Furlong be back?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

From twitter:

Ireland coach Andy Farrell expects to have Tadhg Furlong, Jamison Gibson-Park, Johnny Sexton, Robbie Henshaw and Garry Ringrose back for Ireland’s final push for a fourth Grand Slam.

Well Farrell has tried:

Carberry

Billy Burns

Ross Byrne (I think three times)

Frawley

Harry Byrne

Crowley

Carty was given a total of 2 min, so that really doesn't count.

First three at least play the position 800min+ a season.

At the moment:

Carberry is suffering a bit for confidence coming back from another injury.

Billy can't really kick and seems to struggle at international level but Ulster do like him and keep playing him.

Ross, sorry.. Ross just doesn't bring the ball to the line when the pressure gets up.

As for the last three, it is highly unfair to ask someone to play that position at international level who doesn't have the minutes built up at professional level at his club.Frawley should have been shipped off to Ulster or Connacht to see if could win his place there before getting on the Irish seen.. Call is a year long loan.. If you are good enough then Burns or Carty should be no problem to you..

Carty has been persona non grata on the Irish setup for close to 4 years. When he was going a period when he was the best outhalf in Ireland Farrell pick Burns and Byrne for Irish setup.

Farrell does a fine job and he wins, so not complaining but he picking the players he wants not necessarily the best players. He definitely gives a Leinster player and opportunity before Ulster or Connacht, but he is succeeding doing that.

Marmion is the player I really feel has been hard done by... Casey is a joke in comparison...

As for Scott Penny coming before other players... Penny has only played 10 min of Heineken Cup in his whole career and that was when Leinster were 14 points up with 10 min left against Racing. It is understandable that Munster feel that their back rows are get looked over... Personally I think we have very invested in JvF, he back up is way behind...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Carty had some dreadful games for Connacht earlier in the season, nobody wants a 10 whose form can vary massively.

Perhaps relevant to the OH discussion...

27 players kept in camp. Of the 23 who played on the weekend, only Crowley is released. They must be reasonably sure that Sexton will be fit.

Bealham's 6N is over.

Healy, JGP, Henshaw, Sexton, Ringrose and Furlong all in camp.

Irish Rugby | 27 Players Retained For Ireland Mini Camp And Aviva Open Session

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

He also has the burden of playing for the weakest province, in the worst stadium for kicking. How much more consistent would he look playing with a better team around him?

There are players at Connacht who I'd argue are categorically better than lads being picked for the national squad, but who have Wrong Face syndrome at this stage.

Advertisement