Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The midfield situation is becoming worse with each passing week, our options in midfield are becoming severely limited and compromisd. In my opinion Kieta is no longer an option, he obviously is not bothered anymore, so shouldn't even be considered. Fabinho is so poor, yet still getting game time, which begs the question how poor must Ox, Curtis and Carvalho be if Fabinho is still preferred ahead of them, both Henderson and Milner are really only good for 20 to 30 minutes, Thiago not available, the only positive lately has been the emergence of Bajcetic.

Our midfield options for the remainder of the season will have to consist of some mix of Bajcetic, Elliot Henderson, Milner along with Thiago and Arthur when they come back from injury. Aparently Arthur made an appearance for the U-21s, so might be available soon for the first team, hopefully he can help our midfield situation. At this stage Fabinho, Ox, Curtis and Carvalho are probably only good for the odd cameo appearance towards the end of matches.

At the moment we don't have one midfielder available to us that is either up to the standard required or can last the full 90. It's hard to believe how quickly midfield has fallen apart, I was one of many that had concerns about our midfield last summer (and before), but never envisaged it being this bad so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

At least he's not deluded like the majority on here,I call it as I see it,vast majority of this team is done,the results don't lie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Zak was right, ye will get along. Not deluded, lol.

On the game, I'm not sure I've ever seen us misplace so many passes as we did in that second half. It was unforgivable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Watching the highlights back.

Trent is absolutely murdering us, both his mistakes were goals on another day.

We have to get him out of there for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

The whole squad looks done at the moment. 3 starting replacements in the summer would work wonders but this season is a right off by the looks of things. With all his detractors it's mental how much we rely on Nunez now.

Frightening how quickly this team became past it. Last season really just killed them losing the two big competitions on the last possible game it was like the final push and they collectively failed. There's just nothing left in this team.

Tough to characterise last season as a failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Every week the midfield issues hurt more, they contribute absolutely nothing on both sides of the ball. We just pass it between defenders until one of them messes up and we concede, or an aimless ball gets lumped up to Salah to lose a header.

I would agree but in the end that's what it was. The two cups were great but the two we really wanted got away.

It's a massive problem and there seems to no proper attempt to adjust our tactics to try to mitigate our midfield problems. It's worrying that Klopp hasn't found a way to at least limit the damage, I know our midfield options aren't great atm, but, these are all his players and apparently there was no midfielder available last summer or in January that could improve us🤦🏼‍♀️! The real worry is that next season half of those midfielders are still going to be here, so whatever midfielders we buy in the summer really do need to hit the ground running or we face another season like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

City being linked with McAllister. One of a number of midfielders we could have picked up last summer relatively cheaply now being linked with big money moves to big money clubs. We missed out on the cheaper options last summer and are now probably priced out for the same players this summer. It is really difficult to fathom what the recruitment strategy at the club is. There is a very real prospect now of us needing a major squad overhaul while not being in the Champion's League. Considering we heavily rely on the money from it and player sales (who do we even have that we can sell for a few quid), it is difficult to be optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

I don't care what you "just popped in" to do, you're still completely wrong!

Firstly, I never argued that KLopp had built a great side at Liverpool, so perhaps you should try reading my posts correctly before building your counter argument. I said I felt he had the ability to perhaps build a great side at some point in the future. One that could dominate in both the league and in Europe.

Yes, I would regard Klopp's Liverpool sides and Pep's Man City sides as "good" or "very good"... neither of them have built a great side at either club thus far in their tenures. And yes, Pep's failure to add CL success to his domestic success with City is a significant failure for a manager that many consider to be the best at least of his generation and possibly ever. It's simply not good enough considering the caliber of players and resources he has had to work with. At least with Klopp, you could say he has had less resources to work with and has had to find gems like Salah, Robertson, Mane etc... so I would be inclined to be less harsh in my analysis of Klopp in this respect.

There is no questioning Fergie's domestic success with Man Utd. But there is plenty of question marks over his comparative lack of success in Europe. As I said, he never built a great team that had a sustained period of success or dominance in Europe - as many of the great teams have had in history. He only has 2 CL wins in 27 years at United, and they were spread out almost a decade apart from each other. This is nowhere near good enough considering the players and resources he had at his disposal. And when you are talking about great teams or great managers, the debate should never just be about one country or league... Fergie's teams will be judged against the best teams in the world game, not just the best in England.

If the argument was about whether Fergie built any great teams purely in the context of the English/British game, of course his teams were great in that context. But that's not the argument I was making. I was talking about the wider European/World game. Whether you like it or not, Fergie is frequently judged as a manager among the world's best not just in England - so it's only logical that the teams he built should be judged in the same manner.

And I don't agree with you that European football is currently weak. That is a highly subjective stance to take, and you will always get fans in every generation who make that argument.

I've had these debates many times before, so I've heard pretty much every counter argument out there. However, the problem with most of the points people make, is that they are almost always based on sentimentality and nostalgia rather than hard facts. I prefer to stick to the facts, and the facts do not lie... as Roy Keane might say "my eyes don't lie to me". Fergie built some very good teams, but no truly great teams in the European/World context.

Don't get me wrong, I am not devoid of sentimentality or nostalgia. I enjoyed watching some of those Fergie teams. They played good football, and were highly competitive... but I don't allow sentimentality to cloud my judgement of exactly how good/great they were.

A big part of the problem, is that too many people throw around terms like "great" too flippantly at times. Great teams are very rare, and so the use of these terms should be too.

The one argument that is very difficult to back up with hard facts, is whether a Klopp team would beat a Fergie at their best. It's just my personal opinion, but I would put my money on a Klopp team at their very best to beat a Fergie team... but it's impossible to prove one way or the other. And it's a different sort of argument than sustained success over a long period.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

There's nothing revolutionary about the tactics being used today, in fact they are more or less copycat systems from teams in the past.

Tactics go in an out of fashion. In the 60's teams frequently used 433, and then English teams came along in the 70's and 80's and used a highly disciplined 442 to defeat the 433 system. Liverpool being one of the best examples. Then we had a reversal of this in the last 15 years, 433 has been used to overpower the 442...

It really depends how you use the system. Leicester City won the league with an old fashioned Italian style 442, that got the better of many teams with superior players and a numerical advantage in midfield.

I still think Fergie's teams would be in the mix to win the league in almost any era. The greatest strength they had was consistency and they never gave up. If we're talking knock out football, that might be different. But Fergie was a master of going the distance over 9-10 months in league football.

Perspective is needed.

Condemning teams as failures for losing at the last hurdle when teams who didn't even get there had good seasons.

Two major trophies.

Another absolutely unworldly 90+ points.

A one goal loss to Real Madrid

No I agree with that but my point is *the team* see it as failure internally (it doesn't matter what I think) and this is proven out by this seasons absolute garbage performances.

I think psychologically this team cannot go back to the well again.

Ps the closeness to winning an unprecedented quadruple makes this even worse from the teams perspective IMO. Plus all these seasons of excellence to only have one league and one champions League has to hurt. It's bananas really but your up against a state backed city.

It depends what way you look at it, missing out on the big 2 compettions definitely felt anticlimactic at the time, but, right now I'd bite your hand off to be in that position again. I definitely think missing out on both has had a hugely negative impact on this season and has accelerated our decline. Mad to think we were in that position less than a year ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Chelsea lose again, they only have 2 wins in last 10 league games, shocking stuff, at least we're not Chelsea.

Liverpool have 5 wins in last 10, 2 draws, 3 losses, 17 pts, City took 20pts from last 10 for example. And I really felt we should have won last night, the chances we had, the freekick clearance from Henderson, so unlucky .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Our first game in hand in on Wednesday, home to Wolves, key game, must win to keep us on track for 4th

Wednesday is vital.

Last night wasn't the worst point in the world though the performances the last four games have not really improved much.

Three clean sheets in a row is at least a habit forming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Karius playing the final. Hope he has a blinder!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

March Games

I might be grateful of missing the 18th game and go enjoy an MLS game in person with no stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Anyone know what happened Agent Coulson? noticed he is missing around these parts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

@Run Forest Run

I don't care what you "just popped in" to do, you're still completely wrong!

😂

Ok, lets see what you have got..

Firstly, I never argued that KLopp had built a great side at Liverpool, so perhaps you should try reading my posts correctly before building your counter argument. I said I felt he had the ability to perhaps build a great side at some point in the future. One that could dominate in both the league and in Europe.

Yes, I would regard Klopp's Liverpool sides and Pep's Man City sides as "good" or "very good"... neither of them have built a great side at either club thus far in their tenures. And yes, Pep's failure to add CL success to his domestic success with City is a significant failure for a manager that many consider to be the best at least of his generation and possibly ever. It's simply not good enough considering the caliber of players and resources he has had to work with. At least with Klopp, you could say he has had less resources to work with and has had to find gems like Salah, Robertson, Mane etc... so I would be inclined to be less harsh in my analysis of Klopp in this respect.

Ok.. so you are saying that there has never been a great team in England apart from the Liverpool side of the 70s/80s as no other side has defended the European cup. Or that’s what I'm getting from it anyways. To be great you need back to back wins... To dominate Europe. Is that a fair summary from your previous posts and this?

That's cool, that's where your line is. Totally up to you where you draw your line for "greatness".

However, you do need to take on board the fact that NO SIDE defended the European Cup between 1991 and 2016. Nobody. AND the vast majority of the back to back winners come in the earlier days of the cup.

Real won 5 in a row at the start of the competition in the 50s. Then Benfica had back to back wins in 61 and 62. Inter in 64 & 65. Ajax 3 in row 71 to 73. Bayern Munich 3 in a row 74 to 76. Liverpool 77 and 78. Forrest 79 & 80 and finally AC Milan 89 & 90.

Now looking through the data - either all the "greatest" teams of all time appeared almost one after the other in the 60s and 70s or.... OR it was an easier competition to defend in that era. You can make your call on that.

Real Madrid are the only team to do it in the modern era - so for you that rules out A LOT of teams many others would consider great.

Pep's Barca being the big stand out for me along with the 00s AC and SAF Utd sides. Even 2015 Barca.

Now, are you wrong to hold that opinion - nope.

Is that an opinion that is in an extreme minority - Yes it is.

Personally speaking I have never seen a team control a football match to the level of Pep's Barca. I have not seen any team reach the level of dominance they had of an actual match (maybe Spain of the same era). But your criteria has them below Nottingham Forrest... do you see an issue?

If Pep's Barcelona side are not meeting your criteria for "greatness" but Forrest are then you may.. may just have to look at your criteria.

Not to be too harsh on the Forrest side but they can't hold a candle to that Barca team.

There is no questioning Fergie's domestic success with Man Utd. But there is plenty of question marks over his comparative lack of success in Europe. As I said, he never built a great team that had a sustained period of success or dominance in Europe - as many of the great teams have had in history. He only has 2 CL wins in 27 years at United, and they were spread out almost a decade apart from each other. This is nowhere near good enough considering the players and resources he had at his disposal. And when you are talking about great teams or great managers, the debate should never just be about one country or league... Fergie's teams will be judged against the best teams in the world game, not just the best in England.

Fergie was manager of Man Utd between 1986 and 2013 with the club banned from Europe for his first 4 seasons. In that period there was ONE successful defense of a European Cup. AC Milan in 89 & 90.

Now, either all the great clubs in Europe could not build a great side in this period OR the level of competition just got far far more competitive.

An admittedly subjective point of view for this next part, but the pool of winners (and looking at the quality of those teams lineups) in the 90s and 00s would suggest that the standard actually just went up across Europe with more varied winners. It seemed to become a more competitive competition during that period.

Fergie won 2 CL's (and a cup winners cup) between 91 and 2013 after the last back to back winner and in that same period that was actually keeping up with most of Europe's top clubs apart from Barca.

English sides also had a notoriously difficult time getting back on track in Europe after then ban. The style and game had moved on so that did cost all of them a couple more years. But still 2 wins in that period is not a massive underachievement that some would like to make it out. It's more like par or just over (Golf terms over being worse).

Barca have 4 wins in that period - 91, 06, 09, 11. Last 2 being the 2 versions of the Pep team.

AC won 3 - 94, 03, 07.

Real won 3 - 98, 00, 02.

Utd won 2 - 99 and 08

Bayern won 2 - 01 and 13.

There are definitely years in there that feel like they got away for Utd - 2000 I think Utd were still the best team in Europe but lost out to a very good Real team after a poor game at home, actually drew 0-0 away in Madrid. The GK was most certainly an issue then and for a few seasons after.

2004 is the one that annoys me the most - it was there for the taking that season.

But such is the joys of cup football. The best team does not always win. But I do feel there could have been a 3rd win in there somewhere.

And I don't agree with you that European football is currently weak. That is a highly subjective stance to take, and you will always get fans in every generation who make that argument.

My point was more they are weaker when compared to the English clubs, like they just can't compete to the levels they could before. Just look at the spending across Europe in the last 5/6/7 seasons. The English spending has dwarfed the rest in Europe outside of Real and Barca(and even that is now happening). PSG also spend but they are a bit of a basket case.

You have massive teams across Europe losing players to Villa, Fulham etc..

There is little doubt that the EPL is the strongest league in the world at the moment from a wealth point of view and manager point of view. Staring to see it become a player point of view as well the last few years.

English sides should be doing better when taking all that into account - the field vs them has never been in their favor this much.

The 4 English teams that go in each year will be among the favorites with the bookies - no other country will send more than 2 who will have a realistic shot at winning it.

The EPL is the top dog now.

I've had these debates many times before, so I've heard pretty much every counter argument out there. However, the problem with most of the points people make, is that they are almost always based on sentimentality and nostalgia rather than hard facts. I prefer to stick to the facts, and the facts do not lie... as Roy Keane might say "my eyes don't lie to me". Fergie built some very good teams, but no truly great teams in the European/World context.

Not gonna lie here - that comes across as "I have made my decision and no amount of evidence is gonna change my mind". If you KEEP having to have this debate with many different people then perhaps you need to take a step back and think is it likely many people are wrong or I am wrong...

A big part of the problem, is that too many people throw around terms like "great" too flippantly at times. Great teams are very rare, and so the use of these terms should be too.

Yeah subjective use of the word for sure.... BUT you have to admit that if only 2 English teams (same club in Fergie's Utd) wins a CL and PL in the same season in 35+ years then the use of that word to describe them might not actually be using it flippantly.

Across Europe it has only been achieved 28 times in total - winning their domestic league and European cup in the same season. It is special.

Source - https://www.goal.com/en/news/which-teams-champions-league-league-title-double-same-season/mfwn4kdzjoz1uae2sw41gs9g

Hey listen, after all that if you feel your use of the term "great" for teams is still correct. More power to you, but yeah I really cannot get on board with it.

I've made my points but the facts do not stand with you at all once you dig just a little past the surface.

TLDR : Defending the European cup should not be the line for a great team. It is far far more nuanced than that.

Best of luck

Post edited by IncognitoMan on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,678 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I had to google the result , and I watched it. Says it all .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

His real name is stefan bajčetić so he’s just been really busy with work recently

All good points, but, you basically have the same argument as Run Forest Run, i.e. making the evidence fit your argument, which is basically that European competition happened to be weak at the times Liverpool won it ( 70's & 80's), got stronger during Fergie's United era and then suddenly it's weaker again when Klopp's Liverpool won it and made two other finals, you can't have it both ways.

All teams can only compete in whatever era they played in, you can't really compare Liverpool of the 70/80's with Klopp's Liverpool, one was essentially made up of players from the British Isles while the other is made up of players from all over the world. Would Klopp's team beat the Liverpool 70/80's side, probably, but, Klopp's side achievements are dwarfed by that Liverpool side, so that Liverpool 70/80's Liverpool side will always be rated above Klopp's team.

Fergie's teams ( he had a few) were great sides, they were unlucky in Europe a few seasons especially late 90's early noughties, yet were lucky to win either title ( Bayern were definitely the better team in 99 final and Terry's slip cost Chelsea the cup), but, average to poor teams won it in Fergie's era too, Porto 04 and ourselves in 05 ( ironically probably our most famous night in our history, but, definitely our worst team to win it and one of the worst winners in the competitions history). I agree regarding the early 90's that it took time for English teams to become competitive again, yet Fergie still won cup winners cup in 91 or 92.

The reality is no Liverpool fan is going to say Fergie's United were the best English side ever, just as no United fan would say the 70/80's Liverpool side were the best English side ever. Yet Klopp's Liverpool ( not the current side 🙈), and Pep's City would probably beat either, simply because things like training, sport science plus the resources, players from all over the world, with no real restrictions on number of foreigners etc. have moved on, but, that doesn't mean they should be rated higher than Fergie's sides or the Liverpool 70/80's side. (Pep's City side might in time if they win in Europe).

Post edited by Girly Gal on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Oh, how I missed Man United /Liverpool dick waving infesting every thread for the last while, it's great to see it come back with United's relative recent success 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Shows you how one sided it was when on team was having a bad few years it was very quiet on here now they have won what they call a micky mouse cup while another team is having a bad season they are back waving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Xander10

Yeah, but If Liverpool were to play Chelsea tonight, I wouldn't back Liverpool to beat them.

Our problems are much deeper than Chelsea's, Chelsea are in a similar position to United last season; they need to change the manager, Potter is essentially a dead man walking now, very unlikely to turn it around ar this stage. They can afford any player and wages, and to get signings wrong, they just need a manager who can implement a system to get the best of that squad.

We already have a top manager, but, aren't in a position to buy the players we need to make us competitive again, plus our manager seems averse to changing tactics ( even temporarily) to suit what players are available to us. This summers transfer window is hugely important to us, we can't afford to get it wrong.

Chelsea will be a major force if they get the right man in, a seriously good squad (albeit missing an out and out goalscorer) and plenty of money to spend. Their main problem is getting that right man in to sort out their current issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

I love how fans call it a mickey mouse cup but every season the players look delighted to win it. Players leaping around last season, players leaping around this season all delighted with themselves. Fans - ah sure it's mickey mouse cup.

At the start of every season there are only 4 trophies a club can win ( excluding super cups, charity shield etc.) The league cup is the lowest priority, but once you get to the semi finals it becomes more important and is definitely worth winning, just look at the list of winners over the last decade, all the top sides winning and making finals, it's only called a mickey mouse cup by supporters of opposite teams when their own team aren't in it, but, becomes important when their oteam are init. Personally I wouldn't mind winning it every year, always great to get some silverware and can often be a springboard to further success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

Indeed, and that's 4 trophies if you're lucky enough to support a club that plays in Europe every season. Lets be honest, if you support team out of the top 4 the reality is you can only win either the FA Cup or the League Cup but most fans still deride it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

We won both domestic cups last season and some of our OWN fans refer to that season as a failure

• Administrators Posts: 54,123 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Of course but it needs to be looked at in context. The value of the FA Cup and the League cup is a variable thing depending on your season and what you've won recently.

When you're in the running for 4 trophies, the 2 minor trophies are a small consolation for missing out on the 2 major ones.

When you're having a season like we're currently having, or you haven't won a trophy in a number of years, you don't get to be so picky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Why the powers that be felt it was ok to go into the season without signing a decent midfielder is frustrating beyond belief.

After seeing all the problems before the World Cup, to still do nothing, is pure negligence.

I've never understood why mid table premier league teams who aren't in danger of relegation and can't qualify for Europe through the league turn their noses up at either cup competition, doesn't really make sense. Surely the players would like to win something, most go their whole careers without winning anything, even a club like Spurs haven't won a trophy in ages, but, still don't really take the cup competitions seriously.

Ah yeah, There is absolutely a load of bias in my post. And some tounge in cheek and using stats to back up points.

But I'll stand by the 2 statements for sure.

1. English teams are at a level above most of Europe now. With the money in the English game they can't be anything else. So they do have an easier path to European glory as the big English clubs are now what the Spanish were in the 00s. I think the Klopp and Pep teams are great teams. They just happen to play in the same league. But they were for a period anyway, 2 of the 3 maybe 4 best sides in the world. While also because of the shift in power we aren't seeing Real and Barca able to rebuild their sides as quickly as they would have before. In times gone when Barca lost Messi they would have just come to the PL and cherry picked whoever they wanted to replace him. That isn't happening anymore. If this point came across as something else I apologize for not making my thoughts on it clear. English teams are now the ones to beat.
    2. It was far easier to win and retain the old European cup.

Here is Liverpool run to the 77 cup final

Vs Man Utds run to the 99 final

On your point about sports science advancement - of course if you plucked a team from 20 years ago into today's game they would be at a disadvantage.

But if you hold that view then every 5-10 years you have a new best team ever as obviously the one with the modern advancements wins.

It's not really a lot of fun.

Man for Man. Talent for talent is how I was comparing the sides. But it is totally subjective so yeah I don't expect an agreement here.

Anyway I'll leave it there as I didn't actually want to drag this out as long. And it is annoying a few posters.

Best of luck in the rest of the season (hopefully ye don't get top4 but do get Europe. Don't want Liverpool being able to focus solely on the league next season)

👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The latter of the two is definitely worse.

Signing a midfielder in the summer would have been proactive, signing one in winter reactive. Signing none just incompetent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Imagine the year is 2023 & Hendo & Milner are staring must win games with only 1 midfielder injured ,

So as I said previously, your argument is basically Europe was easy to win when Liverpool won ( 70's, 80's and 2019) but, harder during Fergie's era, even though one of our worst teams won it during Fergie's era 🤣

In the Fergie Era Rafa made it to the final twice in 3 years with an awful squad ,There's no way it was harder ,

First squad was terrible alright. The 07 team was decent tho, but even saying that, Jermain Pennant started a CL final!! Like WFT???

Rafa time is kind of an echo of what is happing this season ,

Rafa hada fantastic 11 & little or nothing after that, a bit like this season ,

• Advertisement

1 "poor" side winning it in an about 23 year run given it is a cup competition is a pretty good return to be fair.

Doesn't really disprove anything.

Rafa was a master of underdog knockout football as well to give him his credit. He knew how to make a side difficult to beat over 2 legs.

Advertisement