Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I didn't make it down yesterday, and I saw that Conor Prunty scored 2 pts. Was he playing as a traditional full back or was he playing a bit further out the field like he was in the match vs Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Full back but he came up the pitch a bit both times as there was space with Antrim down to 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

Pretty dire play.no player inside thd 65 at times..

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Harry ruddle?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Poor game yesterday, not a very good performance too, but it's league in February and considering we won the league last year and ultimately had a disastrous season, I wouldn't be overly bothered just yet. This team and management will be judged on championship performances so hopefully we will be right for then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 teamddr

Jeez lads Antrim man here, your not giving us much credit. I thought our tackling of the man in possession was forcing erratic shots. It’s wasn’t a dirty game but the yellows and frees being dished out was ridiculous and ruined the game. Your bench especially Ozzy was the difference in the end. We played to many ball in the second half into one forward and prunty gobbled them up at will even hitting two points. Waterford definitely not at their best but we hurled pretty good for us as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

What's the thinking on Darren Gleeson up there? Happy or unhappy with him? At times, ye seem close to a breakthrough win. Hopefully it's in the Leinster championship this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ye were good but Waterford had an extra man for most of the match and should have made that count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭decies

Team of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

How far away is Tadgh de Burca from returning, is it likely we'll see him in either of the last two league games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 teamddr

Happy enough TBH, he’s got limited resources compared to some of the southern counties, we all seem to be 4 to 5 players short of a team that compete. We are hurling with some structure now compared to before Darren’s appointment. Good luck for rest of year from the glens.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

He was warming up on the sidelines yesterday but was not on the subs

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Davy said he and Bennett should play a part in both the last two games. I got the impression Austin may start both too. Darragh Lyons out for the rest of the league at least. No mention of Iarla Daly.

I'll guess Billy Nolan will start against Tipp and even though I thought he did well against Laois I'd imagine O Brien is ahead of him in the pecking order.

We've had little experimenting in our full back line. I can't think of any team who plays three up so Conor Gleeson and Prunty seem to be the two there with McNulty going with the withdrawn man. Conor Ryan has caught the eye too though.

Half back line is a puzzle as De Búrca and Daly have been out. Lyons is likely to play there even though he was excellent in midfield against Limerick last year. Jack Fagan is being played as a sweeper which I can't understand and would prefer any of the other three named with Jack playing as a conventional half back. Mark Fitzgerald has impressed too but may need someone else to be unavailable to get in.

Midfield is Jamie Barron plus one (or two) on the evidence so far. Cathrach Daly, Paddy Leavy and Darragh Lyons have all played some part in there but nobody has made a major claim yet. We could yet see one of the half back line or Jack Prendergast or Neil Montgomery redeployed from further up. Definitely a jersey up for grabs though.

Austin is most likely to be in the half forward line, aside from a spell further in against Laois. I'd prefer Bennett out here too. That leaves one more place for Jack Prendergast, Neil Montgomery, Patrick Curran or Jack Fagan depending on other roles.

I'd be amazed with anything other than Dessie and Kiely inside, though for puck outs we need to make more use of the latter.

As I see it there's at least 3 jerseys still up for grabs with two league games left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

anything is possible to be sprouted on this thread. Some lads don't have a notion

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Just for the laugh, I was looking at a possible starting 15 and it's actually not easy at all to pick. Do you go with tried and tested for championship or take a chance on youth / form at a lower level.

For me there are probably 10 sure starters (if fit) who I have made bold. The rest are up for grabs and we have options. . I think Aussie, Dessie, Kiely, Jack, Bennett are sure 5 x starters in the forwards. Possibly a young Fitzgerald may stake a claim over the coming games, else It's Curran/Fagan/Monty to fight that one out. Curran would be my pick if he rekindles his Liam Cahill form, where he turned into a powerhouse around the middle third and also picked off scores with confidence.

I also think a fit Darragh Lyons offers more than Leavy, although Leavy plays the game like a controlling soccer midfielder and it's very effective at controlling the pace of the game. He's possibly pioneering a new style of hurler but I would prefer the swashbuckling style myself. I think Barron and Lyons are a serious handful. They will dodge and weave through most teams and use their small size as a positive.

I know I'm probably forgetting someone obvious too so don't roast me :D It's not a bad team! I'll get slaughtered for McNulty probably but I think he's twice as good when out the field than he is in the corner. I think Fagan would be best served under our own puck outs and should contend for centre forward. Conor Gleeson may contend against Ryan but I just went with my gut that Ryan has it.

SOB

Iarlaith - Prunty -Ryan

McNulty - TDB - C Lyons

Barron - D Lyons

Aussie - Curran - Prendergast

Dessie - Kiely - Bennett

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭deisedude

I like the look of that 15. I really think Fagan should be in the half forward line for one of Curran or Jack Prendergast. We need another ball winner up there

there's zero point to lining out a 15 like that. with the modern game you are generally looking at naming any 6 backs 2 midfielders and any 6 forwards. i gave up even buying programmes at games years ago because there irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Still adds up to a starting 15.

Performance more important than the result for us on Saturday against Tipp

Tipp will be all out to prove a point and secure a place in the Semi finals

So far we're been very average in the campaign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

The most sense I’ve even seen come out of you are you ok? Seriously, couldn’t agree more. Need a massive performance Sunday and nothing to do with Tipp or Liam Cahill couldn’t give a toss about that. Need to see Davy Fitz stamp on the team if we’re still flat as a pancake on Saturday it’s not a great sign

Hopefully Waterford put in a huge performance on Sunday, their best ever, considering the game is on Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Always be careful with a sarky comment because you look an awful tit when you show a complete misunderstanding of the post. The clue was the bit where the poster said he couldnt give a toss about the Tipp game. The Sunday game he is referring to is clearly the Rugby. A further clue should be his wish that we are not flat on Saturday. Maybe stick with the Tipp tread? We are a bit more broad minded down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

When I imagine PTH2009 at games, I see him in full Waterford gear - shorts, socks, jersey, blue and white helmet, and holding a hurley and ball. I loves me county tattoed across his arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I see Tipp are 8/13 and Waterford 13/8. I doubt Liam Cahill will want Davy and Waterford to beat him twice in the space of a month or so (didn't Waterford beat Tipp in Munster league?) Under the lights in Thurles I fancy Tipp to win this one.

Advertisement