Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflection on the pandemic: questions about the authorities' response.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Yeah you're dead right there should be absolutely no consequences or responsibility or accountability for anything anyone does in this country. In fairness nothing needs to change because its been like that for decades already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

What should there be consequences for? Should a doctor not give medical advice for fear of being struck off? should a meteorologist not give the weather in case you go the beach and it rains instead of sun? Should a waiter not recommend specials in case they are not to your taste?

What consequences should a public health emergency team face for giving public health advice in an emergency health crisis?

They should be accountable for their actions as they affected everybody in the country. I would like to hear why Tony Holohan came back from leave and went totally against the advice of his own colleagues and put the whole country into level 5 lockdown would be one example. You seem to think that when someone calls for consequences they mean jail or something. Consequences can also mean they have to explain their actions. But no, not in Ireland. And of course the reason for that is because of people like you always letting them away with their ****. This is also why the health service is in such a state. Every year around winter we all get upset about the hospital crises and then it just blows over and nothing again until the following year. And around and around we go....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Tony holohan put the country into level 5 lockdown? When did he become taioseach? Considering 8 weeks later we had the highest case numbers in Europe, maybe it was the **** meaningful Christmas that was the problem, remember stick Granny in the garden, maybe blame the lads running the show.

Answering questions is not consequences, what happens to you because of answering it is a consequence.

Ah yes the old we are only following government guidelines we are only following NPHET guidelines hide behind each other bullshit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

What's going on in Kilkenny?

I suspect the same that is happening all around this country since around April-May of last year.

I know that my local hospital has been at over capacity since at least July...it's now beyond crisis point.

Just watch how skillfully the media are ignoring what seems like one of the biggest surges in excess death we have witnessed in a long long time...remember when they used to give us the daily death count?

It's certainly looking like the catastrophic cost of lock downs is no longer just an economic cost, like many of us here have been saying for over two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So the same people who were cheering for individuals to be named and shamed, arrested and put out of business for breaking 'the rules', now think that there should be no accountability for the public health disaster that was lockdowns? Hypocrites

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Looking back I don't think NPHET was the biggest problem. The actual problem was most of the rest of the state apparatus using it as an excuse to take an extended holiday (most notably early-2021) rather than making even a tokenistic effort to keep things ticking over. INIS not even returning GNIB cards and passports for months, causing people to lose jobs, was pretty disgraceful.

Stay home, save lives was the mantra.

Wouldn't sound as good if they'd said, stay home, ruin the economy and cause lots of health issues in the years ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Flatten the curve (absolute nonsense we can all now see) they said, follow the science they said, what does the science say about excess death across all demographics.

What does the science say about the harm children have suffered?

What does the science say about the impact of prolonged social isolation for extended periods of time on a persons mental health and immune systems?

Don't suppose we will ever get an answer to those questions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 studefromtrinners

Willful blindness @Silentcorner . People are putting their hands on their ears and saying I don't want to hear anything.

You'll never understand some people. There's a parallel society at the moment. Do you know anything about mass hypnosis ?

Nowadays lies are the truth, like addiction to validation and being part of the crowd. People won't listen until they have someone or something like CNN,Fox news or whatever they listen up to to tell them.

People already know that there's something not right going on.

Magna Carta will prevail. The despot's will bow to the word of law.

People who lost their jobs due to being unvaccinated are getting their dignity back with back pay.

No one gets to live freely when they have wronged people on a massive scale.

I predict it'll all come out in the wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

The excess deaths were showing in the data available from various sources from an early spring of 2022. It was in line with a number of other EU countries and at 12-16% on average with respect to pre-pandemic numbers.

As I and others stated in 2020 the government and NPHET had failed to consider their actions when it comes to second order effects, and had created only a short term plan and tactics for dealing with covid. They had hoped that it would address the most immediate issues and factored in only first order effects.

Unfortunately, as it often happens it is much more beneficial to plan long term and take into account second and even third order effects, and consider outcomes at all levels. It is only an implementation of such a comprehensive strategy that can yield the best results. Optimizing only for first order often short term outcomes can come, and often does, at a very hefty price. This is unfortunately one of those cases.

Comprehensive analysis of first and higher order effect of any plan and strategy is very difficult to do, especially when the frightened herd is already galloping in a specific direction.

And the media – well the excess deaths don’t suit the current narrative of ‘let’s forget this dark times and move on’, therefore this topic is largely ignored. While the perception of the ability to prevent covid deaths has been monetized and profited from to the extreme degree, the same may not be applicable to the unexplained excess deaths, and thus no interest in the underlying causes.

Post edited by walus on

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

The sad thing is, it was clear to anyone who dared to actually think for a few minutes and not jump straight into the hysterical / panic mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

The sadder thing is that if it was not for the media we would have not had the panic that ensued when covid appeared in the western world. The media have plenty to answer for.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

...deleted...

Now that a member of NPHET has came forward and admitted that the response was inhumane and anti science at times with big personalities and vested interests at play, I do wonder what impact that will have on the inquiry?

Will more be willing to raise their voices?

Bit strange as well that our media are very quiet on this. The front pages would be covered if any old union called for a mask mandate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Starmix66

I'd say all the other members of NPHET are coasting to retirement until they get their pension, keeping their heads down and saying nothing.

As for the mass media.... I'm sure they need to keep NPHET and other official dissent on the down low considering all the money the government gave them during covid, I'm sure there's an unspoken rule or "gentleman's agreement" over the whole thing.

They have to be embarrassed though given everything they peddled. Any enquiry should cover both the government and the media seeing as they were all singing from the same hymnsheet and had the same paymasters... us the public!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I recall a poster on boards expressing concern that their neighbours were possibly no longer on board with the lockdown... because they had ceased applauding the HSE in the street after the first week!

The poster decided to keep a close eye on them in case they broke any rules.

That was the level of insanity we were dealing with. Cult-like.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The "applauding" is and always was nonsense, but I would take the poster as being tongue-in-cheek or being irrational.

There are still many on here frothing at the mouth about the nurses and garda dancing.

Frothing at the mouth? Or merely pointing out the ridiculousness of it and the double standards on show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Were they even real nurses and Gardai dancing or were they just hired dancers dressed up to do the dance routine to keep everyones hopes up? I don't ever remember anyone out "applauding" the HSE around where I lived. Nothing but a load of nonsense and just look how the healthcare staff have been treated since.

The truth about the lockdowns and way things were handled are starting to come out and it is not painting a very good picture of NPHET or the government. Folks who defended them and shouted down anyone who spoke out against the lockdowns and the government handling need to take a hard look at themselves. The carry on was ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

A lot of daft comment on this thread. Figues quoted 8 thousand deaths! How many more if we didn't have restrictions before the roll out of vaccines?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Obviously, the upcoming inquiry won't be like a criminal trial. Therefore, people who were in NPHET won't have a problem with explaining the decisions they made, will they?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

One teacher union wanted to keep schools closed after the Christmas break going into 2022!!

Luckily by then the government ignored them.

The teachers came out of covid very badly.

No doubt the measures were inhumane and over the top. What was disappointing was that so many people supported them. It showed how conservative and right wing and harsh, Irish society can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

Il always remember Joe O Shea and his nastiness

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The keeping of windows open in classrooms right through cold months was inhumane, cruel and nasty.

This was pointed out many times and yet teachers freakishly kept the windows open.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So they are inhumane for wanting schools closed - wouldnt the kids be warm at home?

And also inhumane for having windows open in Ireland (not the Baltics) in a heated classroom in layers of clothing.

Not corporal punishment. Not even cold showers.

But this.

Yeah I think the argument jumped the shark somewhere.

I personally was in favour of filter units in the classrooms and windows open between classes but some of the language being thrown around here bears no relation to reality.

People cant just be wrong / accept disagreement anymore for the right reasons.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

What I won't forget is the nastiness of people to anyone who spoke out against the restrictions or chose not to get vaccinated. It was sickening seeing people turn on others like that, all they short of doing was asking for these people to be put into camps and people cheering them on. A good few posters on here were like that and they would be the first to go on about being nice. Absolutely sickening.

Didn’t you say Covid was worse than cancer? Talk about jumping the shark!

• Advertisement

The Illness was harmless to kids. We didn't need to close schools at all. When they did reopen, there was absolutely no need to have them sitting in freezing cold class rooms with windows open.

Advertisement