Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID Forum Moderation is biased/poor

• 27-02-2023 12:51pm

Hi lads,

Not normally one to complain but the standard of moderating on the Covid forum is not good at all and clearly completely biased.

If you have views against lockdowns, masks or disagree with a certain poster, you will be thread banned quickly for some vague reasons.

I've highlighted already that you'd be better off closing that forum if certain viewpoints are not welcome.

If you do want debate, you should do a review to understand why everyone getting banned has similar opinions that appear to be unwelcome.

I can't be bothered appealing thread bans. If you don't want me to post I won't. But will at least highlight the feedback that we can all see what's happening.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,028 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from Feedback. Help Desk deals with complaints about moderation

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,028 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you repeatedly choose to be uncivil towards other users and you repeatedly ignore mod warnings to be civil you face the consequences

If you repeatedly threadban users on one side of a debate that we know you personally disagreed with then it's going to raise eyebrows and people will leave feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If you constantly label differing opinions to yours as "uncivil" then the word loses all meaning and integrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,362 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nobody is banned merely for posting differing opinions unless they are blatant conspiracy theory nonsense or anti vax disinformation. Thankfully both of which are largely gone from the Covid forum. Any suggestion to the contrary comes from a position of bias and is not evidence based.

Posters get a misleading impression of why someone was banned, because the offending post(s) are deleted if they are uncivil \ offensive \ trolling. They see the posts that are left on the thread and think the poster was banned for those posts.

Posters have been banned from both sides.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Completely agree. I've been threadbanned from a number of threads for posting "nonsense" or being "anti-vax" (whatever in the hell that means nowadays). Of course, this is "nonsense" in the view of the moderator.

Totally biased moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Same here, I was banned for agreeing with Pfizer, Tony Holohan, Bill Gates etc. that Covid vaccines do not prevent transmission. I think the science-based response I received was that "they just do prevent transmission", LOL!

And I got banned for showing that they did say they prevented transmission. You just can't win 🤣

Statement without foundation.

I don't think you are a moderator on the Covid forum so I'd be very surprised if you have any details on bans.

I don't, no more than any of the non-mod posters on this thread, yet they seem to think they know better than the moderators why other posters were banned. Yet you don't challenge their input.

Which speaks to the bias I mentioned.

I explained why posters may have a misleading impression of why some posters were banned - uncivil, trolling, offensive posts are removed. Someone reading the thread after the fact sees the 'ok' posts and the mod message that the person was threadbanned, and may get the impression they were banned for those posts.

It's not a statement without foundation. People are not banned merely for posting differing opinions. The threads are flooded with differing opinions, within the bounds I listed. So it is a demonstrably false statement.

• Advertisement

So you admit that you don't know the reason for the bans?

So therefore you don't know that people are not getting banned for having different opinions.

All you see is names disappearing.

I know that people are not getting banned merely for having different opinions - because the thread is full of different opinions.

So I stand over my comment: Nobody is banned merely for posting differing opinions unless they are blatant conspiracy theory nonsense or anti vax disinformation. 

I see long standing names who have NOT disappeared, who have different opinions to what you perceive is that of the moderators.

I see names disappearing after posting anti vax disinformation and conspiracy theories. I see names disappearing for trolling posts. I see names disappearing after posting uncivil \ attacking the poster posts, from both sides of the debate.

When was your first post in the masks thread where you posted a view against masks? But you're only being banned now for such things? It doesn't stand up to a moment's scrutiny.

I don't know why you were banned specifically, but given you have for a longstanding duration being posting views against masks, and have only been banned now - logically that is strong evidence you were not banned merely for posting views against masks.

Your post history is proof of that your claim that "you will be thread banned quickly" for such views is false.

You won't find many long standing names that are against restrictions/masks. You'll only see those names on the thread ban lists.

I don't have to perceive the moderators opinions. He has told me in PMs what those opinions are.

He thread banned me from the restrictions thread because I said fair play to those who protested against restrictions.

He said I was supporting an illegal, violent protest lol.

Another mod even pm'd me and told me I should appeal but I never bothered. I just stop posting and highlighting the bias.

Except you are making forum wide claims, not querying one specific thread ban.

I am challenging the forum wide claims you are making.

Your long post history on the masks thread is proof of that your claim that "you will be thread banned quickly" for such views is false.

I have plenty of PMs from other users discussing the reasons for their bans.

Interesting that you are even commenting on this topic.

Why should they not comment? Why are you commenting about the poster?

Perhaps you should state why you were banned from the thread. Please feel free to quote what I said to you in the PM when I told you not to post again. Alternatively I'm happy to post it here.

It is quite interesting for a person that is not a moderator to come onto a thread providing feedback and start saying that people don't get banned for no reason. How could he know that?

I said to Odyssey "This is laughable stuff from you but unsurprising. It must really hurt that a senior member of NPHET is saying these things".

You thread banned me for being uncivil.

I then told you it is pathetic moderation.

Anyone reading the thread has a pretty good idea

Anyone can post in these threads and you cannot expect it to become a "users v mods" thread. If someone has a view either way they are entitled to put that view in exactly the same way as posters can in the forum you are complaining about.

If they cannot be civil though they can expect their posting privileges to be removed

• Advertisement

Be my guest. If I remember correctly you posted something inaccurate in the form of a mod warning which I replied to and got banned. You then got into a semantic argument trying to defend it, including labelling me an anti-vaxxer and conspiracy theorist. 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I saw your threadban this morning and I just had to chuckle.

That Moderator doesn't even try to hide his bias anymore - he's just trying to create an echo-chamber where everyone can tell each other how great masks/lockdowns/Tony Holohan is.

Absolute joke.

Except nowhere did I actually say that. Where did I actually say what you claim I say?

So before you go down this road, go back and read the thread.

What I said was:

People are not banned merely for posting differing opinions. The threads are flooded with differing opinions, within the bounds I listed. So it is a demonstrably false statement.

I challenged the forum wide claim you made:

Your long post history on the masks thread is proof of that your claim that "you will be thread banned quickly" for such views is false.

Now you seem to have changed course and stopped defending your original claim (because in my view you know you are unable to), but now are commenting on the fact that I am commenting on the thread...

"People are not banned merely for posting differing opinions"

How do you know? Read some of the examples on display here if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Commenting would probably be fine, but that poster makes every covid thread his own personal odyssey. I suspect the OP came here to hear from the mods, not from that poster for the Nth time.

Not that he will hear much I expect, your attitude and response is already pretty evident.

To be honest, the thread has already served its purpose.

Odyssey jumped straight in to defend Beasty who then defended him in turn.

The rest of us can see it for what it is. Biased moderating and blatant protection of one poster.

You're uncivil, conspiracy, troll etc if you don't agree with us.

I know that from reading the covid threads which are full of differing opinions.

To look just at the masks thread - which you referenced in the OP - you claimed people would be banned quickly for having views against masks. And presumably I am the poster you are referring to when you mention disagreeing with a certain poster. And yet the masks thread for a considerable length of time features posts where you disagree with me about masks and post views against masks. Therefore your claim is demonstrably false with reference to your own posting history.

I am not going to comment on specific users thread bans as I am unclear on whether that is permitted, even in feedback. Which is why I have focused on the forum wide comments that have been made.

But from what I have seen on the covid forum, I have not seen any moderator actions which were not explicable for the following reasons:

* Conspiracy theories

* Anti vaccines misinformation

* Not posting constructively \ debating in good faith \ Misrepresentation of information

* Trolling \ uncivil \ attacking the poster \ being a dick type behaviour

* Breaches of boards standards

In my experience on the forum, and observing what moderator actions occur, a common scenario is that posters misrepresent the content of some news article or study. In some cases they haven't read it or understood it, and are relying on a misleading headline or summary of article on twitter etc. When challenged on the thread, they are unable to defend their claim in good faith debate \ constructive posts and engage in deflection \ goalpost shifting \ disingenuous replies ... which may culminate in uncivil behaviour \ being a dick. If warnings and thread bans follow... I strongly suspect the poster will think they were banned for 'no reason' as they genuinely think their behaviour is ok. That does not make it so.

If anything I think some of the posters that were banned warranted thread bans, or even forum bans, earlier than they got.

If the forum moderation is 'biased' because it strictly moderates conspiracy theories and anti-vax misinformation, well that is a legitimate and valid position for Boards to take. I have seen no evidence on the threads of bias above and beyond that, and that is my input to this feedback thread as a frequent poster on the forum in question.

Here you go

"You have been warned about this "face nappies" nonsense before. Do not post in this thread again"

Nothing to do with their effectiveness, just childish comments aimed at winding other users up that you had been previously warned to stop

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement