Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Crowley is the closest thing we have to a long term option but if he is not starting at 10 for Munster then he cannot expect to be starting for Ireland. RB is solid, with some nice skills, but will not set the world alight. Carbery is too injury prone (is he minding himself?). Carty is inconsistent as is Burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Why should anyone be shipped off? What if he likes where he is. It's not arbitrary to make a lad move

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

So...what you're saying is that connaught play all their games at home, or they have an advantage knowing the conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

What you really need is the top three potential candidates for the next World Cup to be at each of the provinces from next season.

Id probably say they would be Crowley, Prendergast, Frawley and Harry Byrne / Trector.

Have each of those lads as at very least second choice at one of the provinces next season with the aim of them being first choice come the following season

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No rugby player tries to 'mind himself', do that and you'll definitely get injured.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So he does all his training and half of his games at a place that's very difficult to kick because it's windy.

Surely that should mean that goal kicking anywhere else should be a piece of piss and he'll be running at 100% success everywhere else because of the old adage of "train hard , fight easy" ??

Or maybe that's just nonsense and he's simply an inconsistent kicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I'd love to know these wrong face lads at Connacht?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Niall Murray the only one I’d consider close to the squad that wasn’t picked, but even at that he’d be too light for test rugby atm. I’d probably have Blade ahead of Casey personally too.

Over the years the likes of Buckley, Thornbury, Boyle, Blade, Marmion, Carty, Farrell and ToH could have been selected on form but every province will hand players like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Interesting reading all the Byrne comments on here. Bottom line is Farrell has him now as backup to Sexton and I think it will stay that way for the wcup. Can't fault this decision if I am reading it right. Byrne is not Sexton but a good solid trustworthy out half with no immediate weak areas and he's hugely experienced and has guided Leinster very well in many key HCUP games at 10.

Third choice outhalf Crowley V Carbery V Other options pls discuss !!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

no immediate weak areas

I dunno about this. His lack of pace is one pretty glaring weak area that was very evident on Saturday, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It can be hidden better. Not sure why he was left defending out wide so often.

But yes, its an obvious weakness but its one you can plan around in a way you can't plan around Carty's flakiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

the burden of playing for the weakest province

Connacht had three players in the starting XV on Saturday, more than Ulster or Munster. It's not a burden for those guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I feel that Frawley will end up as a 12 in the long run. Just doesn't feel like a 10 to me.

Maybe a 12 who can cover 10 at a half decent level but still a 12.

I am not sure this a major issue, rarely a big problem at Leinster and he has clearly worked on taking the ball flatter to the line and being more aggressive with his carries. Absolute pace isn't that important for an outhalf. I think what was clear on Saturday is the midfield of Stu and Aki was a defensive mess and Ross ended up getting dragged wide purely to fill in gaps which just wouldn't have been there with Henshaw and Ringrose. With the attacking weapons we have out wide, good game management, solid kicking and good distribution are all key and Ross has all of this. He is also a solid tackler and at times a surprisingly robust defender.

Byrne is what he is and we can pick holes all day but to my eyes is clearly our best outhalf bar Sexton.

Carbery had had his chance, Carty is far too flaky and Burns just not even close to the standard. Crowley has potential but right now probably just a bit early doors.

I can see why Farrell has settled on Ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

But we dont/wont get the platform he gets at Leinster with Ireland. I dont think you can dismiss Carbery saying he has had his chance and should be dismissed. If that was the case then Byrne shouldnt have come back in after some of his performances with Ireland in past.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

His pace is a major issue.

It's why at 27 years of age and almost 150 caps for Leinster he's sitting on only 17 Ireland caps. He is so reliable at the other facets of the game that if he had any pace whatsoever the question of the 22 jersey would have been answered years ago.

He was burned on the outside a few times at the weekend, it wasn't Aki or McCloskey's fault.

Look I am biased re Carbery. Watched him through his Leinster days and never thought he was a 10. Nothing I have seen at Leinster or Munster or Ireland has changed my mind. I think he had two good skills as a young player , one good under a high ball and in space he had the step and pace and vision to do something off both feet and when he played fullback he looked comfortable but got shoved into 10. I have heard the brains trust at Leinster had him earmarked to take 15 at Leinster post Kearney. For me he's done at 10 for Ireland and barring injuries I think we could see very little of him if anything in that Jersey again. Of course if we lose Sexton and Byrne he may feature but long term Crowley and others will I suspect eclipse him even post Sexton.

Byrne has developed and improved at 10 and matured hugely. He is a better 10 now than a couple of years ago. Carbery isn't improving ad far as I can see.

Ross will get a very similar platform at Ireland to Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭blackcard

One thing that Ireland will have to work on for the next 2 weeks is the maul, both defence and atttack.The Scotland maul was very impressive whilst ours went nowhere. The Scottish scrum was very good too. If Henshaw and Ringrose are not available, I would go with Osborne and we will find out whether he is ready yet or not

I don't see it if he has quality outside him and a system that works. It just isn't an issue at Leinster. Stick Stu and Aki outside him and we have seen a problem but why don't we see the same issue at Leinster with Henshaw, Ringers, JOB, Osborne etc. I also don't recall his pace being an issue when he was on v France. Reality is he was constantly struggling with a midfield that wasn't working and we turn on Byrne lack of pace. Guarantee you if we have Henshaw and Ringers there for the last two games things will look very different.

Would it be better if Ross was quicker , yeah sure but across the board for me he is our best choice behind Sexton. Carbery is a doormat tackling wise, Carty flaky and Burns just isn't there. Yes Crowley could be the solution or possibly Frawley but right now for the wcup Byrne ticks alot of boxes.

Byrne's lack of pace is going to become the go to complaint about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ersatz

Not sure why Gilchrist should bear the blame, Ritchie was captain. No-one is saying Russell is to blame for Scotlands defeat, he does what he does, and as you say he is a known quality for the coach. I think the point is that Scotland will have trouble stringing victories together against decent teams with Russell at ten. He is capable masterminding great days out but you can bank on him to make bad decisions and in a team like Scotland, where quality across the team is not guaranteed, that flakiness will get punished more often than not. I'dlove to know how opposition coaches prepare for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Given his comparatively weak kicking is one of the main knocks against him, where he plays half the season is not insignificant. He has an attacking ability that's above the other OHs vying for no.2. There are other viable options for place kicker in the national team. On balance, I would consider him a better choice than the alternatives after Bryne.

I think he's been unfortunate in not getting more opportunities, in much the same way as Bryne was. He shipped a lot of blame for Japan, that was unjustified imo. Himself, Marmion and Blade should have had more caps, given the abysmal form of Murray over the last few years, and Casey's inexperience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭blackcard

To rank the backs in the Irish squad in terms of speed over say 30m, Is Osborne the quickest? Followed by Jimmy O'brien and Hugo Keenan. In the forwards, Van der Flier followed by Doris?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

. .

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

His lack of pace is the go to complaint because it's the single biggest and most obvious deficiency in his game. It's like saying defence is the go to complaint for Carbery, which it is because it's the single biggest and most obvious deficiency in his game.

Ross Byrne can simultaneously have pace issues while also being the 2nd best option right now. I think I gave a good explanation before as to why I think this is the case.

There is no comparison to be made between Leinster games and Ireland games. Plenty of players look like world beaters playing for their clubs but obviously their weaknesses are not exposed as ruthlessly as when playing test rugby.

Would Ringrose playing have covered him a bit better? Yes, no question, we saw numerous defensive issues that may have been avoided had Ringrose been playing, but he's not going to have Ringrose playing outside him every game he plays, so the issue remains a valid one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Byrne's lack of pace is going to become the go to complaint about him.

…in the same way that the following are the go to complaints about the other options?

Carbery is a doormat tackling wise, Carty flaky and Burns just isn't there.

There’s a reason they are the go to complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

When Byrne was dismissed from the squad had you the same opinion then that he had his chance or when Lowe was dropped had he had his chance too. Players play themselves in and out of the squad, imho, that's good once the best option is rewarded.

I have seen Byrne consistently improve so he has worked his way back in and is a far better 10 now than a couple of years back. I don't see any improvement in Carbery's game and little if any forward progress as a 10. In fairness to him he has had a torrid time with injuries so who knows what would have happened without. Sure if he improves and starts tearing it up for Munster he will be an option but personally think his opportunity has probably passed. I hope I am wrong. Lowe had some defensive issues which are sorted he has improved quite clearly and is now an outstanding international winger.

All boils down to whether you actually think his relative lack of pace is a real issue. I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Would Baird be somewhere near the top of the forwards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ersatz

The line out effort at the death was a mad gamble straight out of Russel’s playbook. It shouldn’t take a joeball conservative to tell you that in those moments 5m out with the campaign on the line the very first order of business is to win the ball. Russell likely had nothing to do with that call but the tone he sets makes stupid decisions like that inevitable. There’s ‘trying something’ and there’s gambling, smart players and winning teams know the difference.

Advertisement