Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

feeding nuts

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Handy alright, I always find where field start to muck up around troughs lameness starts to spiral. Last thing you want is loads of lame sheep bursting your back trying to turn them up and spray and them heavily in lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭k mac

5 weeks out from lambing and have the ewes separately accordingly for feeding after scanning. Am feeding the 20% grennans nut recommended above...had chrystalx buckets with them that are now empty, as they are now getting the nut do i still need the buckets with them, considering their cost, i suppose i am asking will they be getting enough energy, minerals, vitamins etc. from the meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭White Clover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Be careful swelling them too much with meal or you could end up with big lambs, hard lambing's and possibly prolapses. That's could quality meal your feeding so you wouldn't need to feed big huge quantities of it.

Thanks for the replies...am being careful with the feeding, as I said 5 weeks out am feeding the doubles 0.5 kg a head a day, triplets 0.7, and singles 0.3. They are out on poor enough grass. With the doubles probably on the best grazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

That should be grand for 5 weeks before but they'll be needing double that for the last 2 weeks before lambing. 1kg for doubles, .6kg for singles. triplets can be difficult to get more than kg/day into them when the lambs get big in them, they can be easy sickened.

Any increases should be done slowly and no more than .5kg in each feed

You won't go wrong with that,

Ewes here are due next sunday, but one lambed to day, a ewelamb had two lambs and the colostrum tested very good on the refractometer

They were on grennans 20%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Jimbo789

Usually I would feed the ewes carry twins pre-lambing similar amounts of meal to the table above along with silage in a field that had been grazed complete bare. They would be moved to a field with plenty of grass after lambing and get no meal then.

This year with more grass than usual, I was thinking of letting them out on good grass 2 weeks before lambing, could I maintain the meal at the same level from 3 weeks out from lambing instead of increasing it more in the final 2 weeks. Would the additional grass make up not increasing the meal?

• Advertisement

I'd guess it would, spring grass could be as good as what you'd get in a ration.

I'd be more worried about the lambs coming oversized because the ewes were grazing good grass , especially the ewes that'd be later lambing and on good grass for up to 4 - 5 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Do you have to factor in any wastage with the cobs? I assume when the ewe nibbles on the cob small bits Break off that won’t be picked up again

Advertisement