Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

What's the best type feeder for feeding sheep round bales outside.

Could do with 2 or 3

And sensible money 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

If I had ewes on point of lambing with suspected scab would it be worth mixing some cypergard in a watering can and sprinkling them or would it be a pointless exercise..I can easily inject but have no way to move them somewhere else for 17 days..

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭daviddenis

I think I'd do both. Inject and spray dip on the Have it cured before laming other will only spread to lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

Foxes of Goery do one but the best imo is the cradle..less waste. Nothing is cheap now.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Can ewe nuts be fed to lambs and why is it that you can't fed it to them, TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

It can be fed ti ewe lamb, just not rams incase of urinary calci, as more magnesium and minerals in the meal for ewe and lamb nuts plus no added ammonium chloride. In my opinion if they are being fed along side ewes there won't be a problem as the ewes will have them bullied out and gobbled up in no time and the small amount the ram lambs may get will be minimal, its more so if those nuts were fed intensively to ram lambs you would see big problems and they would not be able to piss with the salts built up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Nipped into the mart for a look this evening. Plenty of scab about!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Jimbo789

I have a ewe carrying triplets. She is outside and around a month away from lambing. When she was lying I noticed a slight prolapse and when she stood up it almost completely returned inside her but she didn’t look comfortable urinating.

I put a prolapse harness (no spoon) on her and gave her antibiotic and anti-inflammatory injections.

Should the harness be left on her until just before she lambs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭White Clover

Yes, I would leave it on. It will prevent her prolapsing. Check daily that it is fitted correctly and doesn't obstruct her from deficating and urinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Leave the harness on her, they're supposed to be able to lamb out through it and I've had some ewes that did lamb out through it.

She could need assistance either ways, not because of the harnes but because prolapsed ewes can be ''ringed''

• Advertisement

Is it a shot of calcium one would give to help open them when they're ringed along with gentle manipulation?

One wouldn't be long forgetting the small things that help after 12 months passing! I must sharpen up!

Yea, calcium and and 2mis Oxytocin can help and give them time

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Hi folks just said I’d ask sent lambs off to factory with agent few days ago and got report back from factory saying one lamb was dil which I think is died in the transportation to factory. . Anyone ever had this issue before ? Is it a tough luck of the draw situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yea hey it very occasional especially with cull ewes. Have my doubts sometime but not much you can do to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Feeding .9 kg to ewes. Would feed need to be split?

I definitely would. I'm not sure they could eat that much in one feed anyway, especially if heavy inlamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Sami23

Had a fine 2 week old lamb a small bit sluggish on Wednesday evening. Just a bit slow moving or stiff in appearance so got stuff from the vet yesterday to treat for joint ill as couldn't think what else it might be but when I went to the field to inject him yesterday he had gone further downhill and was lying over not looking in great shape. I gave him the injection anyway but don't hold out much hope for him.

Anyone hazard a guess at what may have happened him as haven't seen it before.

Of course he had to be a single too.

If it's joint ill, the antibiotic should be given as soon as you see it, it's a painful condition and gets bad very quickly.

We inject for a week or more, it takes that long to cure it properly

That lad didn't make it. Must have been something else wrong with him.

Today I have 2 lambs where the bottom knuckle on their front feet is buckling when they try to walk.

Is that a sign of joint ill ?

I caught 1 of them and can't feel any swelling

• Advertisement

I'd say knuckling under is just weakness, they'll probably strengthen up themselves but I've had to splint a few for a few days too

Went to vet and he said to treat for joint ill. He gave me Resflor.

When I was injecting one of them I could hear the joint making a 'squishy' noise when I bent it so we see how they go.

Will let you know and thanks as always for your advice and knowledge sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭jfh

Lads, I have a few sheep & lambs in one field & all the lambs are pining and scoury, thought it was cocciditios, but no improvement after bovicox. I am taking dung samples to send off to the lab. Lambs are a month old and were fine until the last week or so. Anyone hazard a guess, thanks

Actually lost one of them today so serious enough, have other sheep in new reseeded field and all fine. Its not the usual blood scour like coccidiosis.

Want to get to the bottom of it so will report back when I get results

Jes that Resflor is some stuff - the two lambs were so much better today that I couldn't even catch one of them to give him the 2nd shot.

Yea they get better quick but we always put in the ewe and lambs for a few days so that we can finish the course, If it comes back it's very difficult to cure

I think Resflor has an anti-inflammatory/ painkiller included as well

Said I'd report back, it was nematodirus outbreak, very similar symptoms to cocciditios. The mild weather may have brought it on earlier in the year.

Unusual this time of year. lambs are susceptible from when they're eating grass usually over a month old and more common around may 1st

Well two of the lambs that died were a triplet so probably eating grass and were a month old so eating grass. No issues in new field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

What's the best course of action for this. Lambed last night at 2 o'clock, not a particularly hard lambing, had to handle for the second to lift up one leg and gave pull nothing too tight though. I'm thinking pen strep I'm not sure if I need to put a harness on - Thoughts welcome

Advertisement