Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hub Controller options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Banjo Carney

@nava the V1 goes to CH/NO and you need to link L to CH/COM.

My system is similar to yours and how I did it with advice from @deezell he posted a pic on page 1 of this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Thanks again.

You mean the picture you posted on the 1st of December on post? https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119945516/#Comment_119945516

That picture is what I took as reference on my reply above.

What I have is as in the picture attached, when handle is down it heats water and heating, with handle is up only heats waters. Hope that's clearer now?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭deezell

Yes, Nava just reminded me there also. Sure how can I remember something from two months ago!

A couple of motorised valves on both branches from the big vertical pipe, one in place of the manual valve, and you will have independent HW and CH control. If you have the Tado accessible to wire up to the motorised valves, it would be a simple enough upgrade. Even a single valve on the CH line can be wired to give a 'gravity' style system, with timed control of HW only or CH + HW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Thanks for all the help, that part looks harder, too much foe my DIY skills, I will get a professional to do it when I decide to upgrade, for now I just wanted to swap the hub Controller with something else.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LBF21

Has anyone added a cylinder thermostat to work in addition to Tado? If so how is it working. Not causing issues? Essentially I want to stop the hot water heating when it hit a certain temperature.

• Advertisement

Most zoned CH and HW systems would have an electromechanical stat on the cylinder to turn off the HW zone when the set cylinder temperature is reached. If such an installation is upgraded to Tado or other Smart system, only the timing of HW events is controlled by the Tado (or Nest, Hive, Drayton etc). The temperature will still be capped if a tank stat was already installed. If no Tank stat was part of the pre Tado system, one can be installed and used to interrupt the timed live from the Tado to the HW independent zone valve. I say independent, as if the original system was a gravity system, where the cylinder heats during HW or CH timed events, then a stat cylinder will only interrupt HW heating during a HW timed event, but not during a CH event. It is however, unlikely that HW would exceed desired temperature during a CH event as the heating flow will be cooler due to the load from the radiators. Mechanical cylinder stats are simple and inexpensive passive devices. If you desired actual app control of the setting of this temperature, then you are into more complexity, and most smart brands don't offer online control of the HW tank max temperature, there's little point. The Internet equipped EPH Ember controller has a remote thermostat for HW, and the high end Evohome system also but HW max temperature is set and forget, not something you'd need to fiddle with remotely or set on a smart schedule.

Post edited by deezell on

Thanks for that. We’re not long in the house. Water does be piping, really just want to turn it down a bit. Looks like the previous owners upgraded the boiler as it’s modern enough looking but I can’t see a stat anywhere. BER assessor said we’d go up a rating with a stat.

Post edited by LBF21 on

You have a Myson valve in your hot press I recall. You have a Tado stat. Do you have the extension kit with timing for hot water? Does this open and close the Myson in the hot press.

Great memory! Yep I can control hot water only from Tado.

Then you can insert a stat into the live from the Tado HW relay to the HW Myson valve. I'm assuming you have a two zone valved system with HW only and CH only. If your cylinder is a foam insulated one, you can use a contact stat like this in a cutout in the foam.

If your tank is a metal enclosed one, you can use a probe insert stat like this in one of the provided probe cavities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mower

hi.i am also getting rid of hub c,would the hive active v3 be a direct replacement or would that require extra wiring,cheers.

V3 single zone will replace the HC, the Hive stat is wirelessly connected to the Hive receiver, which is wired in place of the HC. There needs to be mains Live and Neutral at the site of the HC, in order to power the Hive receiver, as the HC is capable of operating in a passive mode where no Neutrak wire is present, using parasitic power feed from the HC switched live terminals.

The HC does not have control of HW timing, you may need to consider how this is currently implemented. The HIve V3 has a two channel model for CH and HW, if your current system has these as separate zones.

It may be more convenient to site the receiver of the Hive beside the zone valves, if you system has these, or next to the boiler if its wired straight to it. Check the wiring behind the HC, see if it has L and N in.

Also see if your system has zone valves and establish how HW is controlled. Do you have a HW cylinder, or HW direct from the boiler. Does it heat with CH? Can you have HW only in the summer?

thanks for getting back to me.i have a gas boiler,hw cylinder heats up when heating is on, lever on cylinder to switch between hw or heating.popped open the hub c the wiring from top to bottom is brown black then blue,thanks again.

A Tado wired directly in place of the HC, or a Hive mini wireless receiver, with it's Hive wireless stat located where you like. Either are DIY tasks with care.

Later you could get the lever valve replaced with a motorised one for CH or two for independent HE and CH. If you opt for Tado wired, you can later add the wireless receiver next to the new motorised valve(s), to turn off the CH and still have HW only from the App. There will be some wiring involved in this. If you opt for a wireless Hive or other, you can get the one with a CH and HW receiver, which gives you the option to automate HW only at a later date, which would likely involve relocating the receiver beside the motorised valve(s).

thanks again for all the great advice,have narrowed my choice down to the Tado or the Hive Active V3.i have three wires in the hub c,will that be enough for the hive,cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Banjo Carney

Out of curiosity does anyone still have the hub and hasn't subscribed. I'd be interested to know if it stopped working altogether or if its just the functionality with the app that stopped.

Yes, Neutral and Live, to the first two terminals on the receiver backplate, N and L, a small loop from Live to Common (terminal 1), then the third (black) wire back to the boiler, SL, on terminal 3.

If you buy the HW version in case you implement independent HW control in the future, the base wiring is slightly different. No loop to common, its done internally, and CH SL is on terminal 4.

CH only receiver

With the Tado wired the you just use Live and the Boiler SL wire to Com and NO (normally open) on the Tado plate, and tape up or park the unused N.

cheers ,great info well explained.thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Moving2017

I didn’t get around to replacing mine yet, they’ve said that it will stop working from tomorrow. Replacing it is on my to-do list, I’ll have a read through this thread when I do.

Their last email says the following:

This means that if you don't subscribe you will no longer have access to:

- The app functionality: remote control and schedule feature

-Automatic Energy Reduction Technology: your heating bill will increase by up to 36%

- Lifetime warranty: in case of a call-out there is a charge of €120

... Increase by 36%... What a load of b****x. How does it work when the Internet is down? I'm guessing it has the same schedules. Actually, try this. Disconnect your router from the WAN, if its over an ordinary phone line or TV cable. See if the app still connects locally peer to peer over the WiFi. Even if it doesn't, see if the schedule is maintained. Try this also. Go into the hub settings and disconnect from the WiFi . See how it works, does it run to schedule, can you make changes via the screen etc. You can leave it disconnected if you suspect they may use the Internet connection to meddle with it post subscription expiry I'd be curious also as to how it would work if you reconnected its WiFi to a hotspot on your phone, it might maintain a peer to peer connection if the app still had some functionality after the deadline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Moving2017

The screen doesn’t allow you to edit the schedule it can only be done via the app on a live internet connection.

I agree with you on the 36%. That’s always been a lie they’ve peddled, they oversold and under delivered imo. I’ve been meaning to pull the plug on it for a while but haven’t had the time to find an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Noworries!

Hi all!

I'm replacing the hub with a Tado wireless. The old system was a thermostat in the Hallway and the timer in a utility room. Hub replaced the timer with their digital controller and I could broadly control the heating by setting the thermostat to a temp in the hall and then when the heating came on it would not breach that temp and would heat h/w and c/h.

I could get hot water only by turning the hall thermostat all the way down to zero and switching on the hub... I hope that makes sense!

What would the best way to wire up the Tado that it would either control the temp or default to hw only when i put on system at lowest temp.

Any help gratefully received!

The cowboys who installed those hub controllers should be locked up, preferably in a freezing cell not properly controlled by a Hub. Your Hub should have been located where your stat was, not in the utility room. The hub controller is a thermostat, how can it accurately control home temperature if its stuck in the utility. The original wall stat obviously only had live and switched live wires, no neutral to power it, and they were never going to run a new wire.

When you drop kick it's useless ass into the bin, fit the Tado anywhere suitable, as it's wireless. Now, your system is obviously connected so that a timer used to fire the boiler, and the old thermostat turned on CH by either turning on the circulation pump ,or by opening a motorised a CH valve (if the circulation pump always comes on with the boiler, which would be the case with a gas boiler). Roughly speaking, you have a system where HW always heats when the boiler is on, but CH only heats when either the external pump is on, or a motorised valve is open. You'll need to give a bit more info, where your boiler is, gas or oil, what model if its gas, if the HW cylinder is upstairs etc.

The Tado receiver with two relays for HW and CH can be wired to simulate this old arrangement, but it's important that the boiler and pump or valve are located together to facilitate the logic and wiring, whereby the boiler fires if either the CH or HW relay closes, but CH only comes on when CH relay opens. Once I know what you have, I'll post the wiring of the Tado receiver to achieve 'gravity' mode.

Hi Deezel, I was hoping you'd respond! The boiler is outside, and its oil fired. The hot water cylinder is upstairs in the hot press also with an immersion but I dont care about that as I never use it.

Wire the Tado receiver in place of the hub. Wire the neutral to N, wire the live to L, with a link to CH COM. Wire the switched live to the boiler on the V terminal of the hub to the CH NO terminal.

Place the wireless thermostat in an optimum location like hall or living room. Turn the old stat up high, the Tado stat will call the the boiler and control the temperature of the general area. HW will heat while CH is on.

And is there a way then of just having hot water but no ch, for during the long hot summers?

Yes, as originally you would have had HW only by turning down the old stat, which didn't power off the boiler, but either turned off the circulation pump, or closed a motorised valve. You said this still worked with hub, as when you turned down the old stat, HW would heat if you then turned on the hub above its set temperature. This odd arrangement will still work with the Tado, but as you now have a spare HW ON timer relay in the Tado receiver, it will be possible to wire the Tado in such a way as to operate in Gravity mode, so that timed schedule for HW only fires the boiler, but timed events from the wireless CH thermostat fire the boiler, and operate the pump (or open a valve, whichever you have). If you tun on heating and then turn down the old stat like you used to, see if the pump stops running while the boiler is firing, or if there is a motorised valve somewhere between the pump and the rads that s closing. There is a simple wiring scheme to create gravity mode on the Tado receiver terminals,I'll dig out the sketch and post it.

Here's the sketch which implements gravity control.

Neutral blue to N

Live brown goes to L, CH COM, and HW NO.

CH NO goes to the valve or pump, and loops to HW NC.

HW COM goes to the boiler SL.

For HW only timer, the boiler fires

For CH only timer, the pump/valve is powered, and the Boiler fires via CH NO to HW NC to HW COM.

For both timers, HW COM fires the boiler. CH NO powers the pump

Trying to figure out what the different wires do now! Thanks buddy, appreciate the help

• Advertisement

NO means Normally open. When the relay is off, Com or common is connected to NC, Normally closed. When the zone switches on, the relay flips, Com is now connected to NO, and NC is disconnected from Com. I devised the diagram above originally for the Nest Receiver which also has two zones with Single pole double throw (SPDT) relays, in order to mimic gravity mode. Gravity mode is available in many dual zone controllers by means of a dip switch or jumpers, or in software configuration, such as the Hive two zone, or the original tado Extension kit receiver. The new Tado extension kit is a volt free double throw receiver, I'm not aware that it can be soft configured to gravity mode, but this simple wiring plan does the same.

This is the better drawn version for Nest

Advertisement