Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We have went from the highest mortgage rates in eurozone to one of the lowest. So when you get sub 1% in Europe we were closer to 3%. If the bank's returned to offering the highest mortgage rates they would collapse the market with rates of 6 to 7%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭wassie

Exactly. Good economic performance also drives net immigration levels. Australia especially has had postive levels of immigration for 40+ years (excluding the covid years), meaning sustained population growth which in turn is the fundamental driver of housing demand (over the long term).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Some of the happiest granddad's/mam's I know are the ones that have downsized and used the difference to supplement their retirement. Some have even purchased a holiday home which might be more appealling for the kids and grandkids.

I'm sure the above narrative benefits someone, it may not be grandparents, given the increased cost of maintaining larger older homes and gardens

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There is no denying that some do, but I doubt that “record numbers” which are enough to move the market are a certainty, which is what the poster is saying will happen based on his/her assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

• Advertisement

What does your instinct tell you what Irish banks will do, especially since 2 major competitors have left the stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭DataDude

Still no signs of any sort of pick up in supply. Combined with record levels of immigration and falling new home starts. Bad news.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/02/27/number-of-second-hand-homes-listed-for-sale-falls-to-new-record-low/

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Supply is dreadful and some in demand properties (refurbished 3bed houses on luas/dart in safe areas) are seeing crazy bidding wars

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Calculator123

Agree 100%

A huge number of older people regret staying in their big family homes until it's too late and would have loved the chance to downsize if the opportunity was there. I know a small number that did make the move to be closer to amenities, doctors, churches etc. as well as just wanting a smaller place to manage. Great lifestyle choice.

We need to create an attitude and environment where downsizing becomes the norm and an attractive option in the community for those who would like to do so. It's a win/win for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Ironically, co-living would have been great for people like that - but we outlawed it as our TDs don't understand that you need different property types to serve different cohorts in a functional market.

Instead, 3 bedroom two story houses for all! Let the sprawl continue!

• Advertisement

Co living is a con to maximise land values, nothing else, very very limited demand and what little there would be priced out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

Very little demand.... priced out.

Do you not understand that these things are opposites in a functional market?

Co-living would provide bedspaces for thousands of the people stuck in bungalow and 3bed houseshares with flatmates they don't want.

There is definitely a sizeable cohort who would love it.

Think about all the people in their 20s who get takeaway 4 nights a week and eat pot noodles the other nights.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think in a normal market, co-living would be a decent idea if it was reasonably priced. The problem with it was they wanted 1300+ for a room. Fúck off out of that. For people new to a city it would be a good place to live as it can help you meet new people and they organise events and things like that. But just the price was all wrong and a complete rip off.

Ireland heavily dependent on US demand and growth

Let's not be complacent about American demand and growth. The first step in that process would be to avoid bubbles in our own economy that are feeding off that growth

Below is a graph of the price action of the s and p overlaid on the investment cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

what is it the point you’re trying to make and how is a S&P chart with no timeline relevant. If I selected different dates or a longer/shorter period I could find a chart to back up whatever point I wanted to make.

Are you trying to suggest that people try and time the market to buy houses in the “smart money” phase?

Best of luck with that because Unfortunately the majority of people will time this wrong just like they do on the stock market and this has been proven time and time again. How many people invested their deposit for a property in bitcoin and ”growth stocks” that have been burned by trying to be “smart money”

there are two things that move markets fear and greed and at the moment the fear is not that house prices will drop because of a load of supply hitting the market or that people will sell there house because they are paying so much extra on their mortgage because people have to live somewhere where it’s in a rented property or owned…. The fear that exists at present is that it’s going to cost so much extra paying crazy rent for a place that I could be kicked out of at anytime.

The greed will stop people selling for less than they think their property is worth. anyone renting that is in a position to buy will still buy because it’s cheaper than renting and they have security of a roof over their head.

FTB’s that have been living at home saving to buy will do what they have always done and put off buying because the can’t find their ideal home for a price that they want to pay and are not forced to pay crazy rents and know they won’t be made homeless in the morning. They will put off buying because of the fear of getting the timing wrong and 99% of the time will pay more in the long run.

All that happens in the current climate is the market stagnates with less houses coming to the market for sale and people putting of buying if they are in a position where they are lucky enough to be paying way below market rents.

at the same time we have a big slowdown in the number of commencements of new builds because of the uncertainty of costs which means for the next 2/3 years we will have a lower number of new builds hitting the market making the situation worse.

so unless our net migration turns negative and more people leave Ireland than come to Ireland the situation is not going to change anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I agree with this assessment. Aside from some sort of black swan event, I see no way for any major correction in house prices to materialise. The only thing that will "fix" things is a net reduction in population, and thus a reduction in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Headline: "Is a frozen market worse than a house price crash" https://www.ft.com/content/07e005bb-d115-4a26-842f-74c1f9133a2d

Interesting piece which echoes similar sentiments in here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

this is going to be a big problem going forward. time for some more incentives to convert commercial to residential

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

• Advertisement

An interesting idea to ponder is whether the average person is better of now in 2023 than they were in 2009. Taking myself as an example, in 2009, I was working on an internship in Athlone. I was earning about 350 euros a week, and I was able to rent an ensuite room in a house 5 minutes from work for 250 a month. Shopping and utilities barely came to 200 a month, if I remember correctly. Juxtapose that with the experience of a person on minimum wage today.

Of course, the crash was disastrous for many people, but the current economic situation seems rather ruinous too. Chasing the infinite GDP growth doesn't seem to be a viable long-term plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

With 4% ECB rates should we be expecting 6% ish mortgage rates in Ireland? Obviously once a sufficient number of trackers have been flushed from the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

That might be easier said than done, leaving aside issues with the actual political will to sort out shortages.

So the banks have the choice to:

A. Burn down their capitalisation in order to subsidise mortgage holders

or

B. Raise their rates because there's only a few banks and everyone hates them anyway.

It's a screen grab of a YouTube video, the time line is 2013 to last week, visible if you click the graphic and enlarge. I'm suggesting that those that manage the economy know that it's performance is linked to external factors and should act to prevent bubbles that are linked to external factors.

That same graph could be Irish rents. The state is reaping huge from corporate taxes and should use that cash to address supply issues to take some of the heat out of the market. Instead they have been suppressing supply and stoking demand at great cost. This exacerbates the bubble.

Oh I'm sure that the state has a grift ready for that, based on recent news :). I'd say more, but I'd get in trouble.....

There are quiet a few swans around that are being ignored.

I will admit it's like 01/03 when we had similar conditions and it was addressed in Ireland by an all out push to increase demand, relaxed lending, further grants etc just like now. We all know how that ended

I suspect the ending might come quicker this time, because of national debt levels from the Last bust, covid etc

Problem is that many CRE's simply are unsuitable for conversion short of a full demolition and rebuild and then the numbers probably make it moot. Just something that is going to have to be lived with..

It looks like the Fed is going north of 5%, why would the ECB be different if they are going to follow through on getting inflation back to 2%. A peak of 4% seems fanciful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

as the age of first time buyers and those who are unfortunately separated/divorced here increases, does anyone know if there are banks or institutions here lending with loans extending beyond 70 years of age to first time buyers e.g. 46-48 years of age with reasonable pension prospects ..

Advertisement