Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's obviously a "real" issue - he got badly burned twice against Italy and he can't effectively run loop plays.

It's close to his only real issue, but its silly to pretend its not there. There would be no debate about the Irish 22 jersey otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah Ross Byrne isn't very quick. Only question is how much of an issue it becomes.

But none of our current options are the complete package. That's why I think our next long term out half hasn't even been capped yet.

In the interim, Byrne might be the steadiest hand to let the rest of the team play. He won't be scything defences open on his own.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I dunno, I think that's pretty harsh to be pinning on Russell when you even suggest yourself he likely had nothing to do with the call.

But in general, when you're that deep in your own half, with the clock ticking down and in need of a try, you need some risk taking. Russell is probably exactly the guy I would want in that scenario.

I'm curious what you think is lacking in Crowley's game (other than experience, obviously)? I'm not sure I've seen any one thing in his game that seems an obvious weak point in the same way you could point to Byrne's pace or Carbery's tackling, say. Maybe his place kicking could improve.

For me, I think he has all the attributes to be Sexton's long-term successor tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think Crowley certainly has the raw materials to progress and be a strong candidate for the jersey post-Sexton.

What I'd suggest he lacks isn't in the physical side of the game but in terms of what he sees, organises and selects when on the field. When I watch Crowley at 10, I don't see him doing anything particularly wrong (maybe his kicking could do with some work but that's the case for a hell of a lot of outhalves). But I also don't see him grabbing the game by the throat.

He hasn't had a huge amount of game time at outhalf this season (or much at all, really) which is probably stalling his progress a little. I thought his performances at 10 for Munster this season were somewhat summarised in his 30 minutes against Leinster and his start against Ulster. The game passed him by a little against Ulster despite not really doing anything wrong until he moved to 12. Against Leinster, he was firing himself into rucks which is great to see that level of intensity but, to be honest, I don't want my outhalf doing that. I want him out helping organise and knowing where the space is if there's a turnover. There was a marked difference in how Ross Byrne and Ben Healy played on those occasions, being very vocal and impactful when their teams were behind.

It should come with time. The more game time Crowley gets at 10, the more confident and successful he will be in terms of his choices and telling others where he wants them. You can see the ability there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

At least it's something that's consistent. You can plan effectively and build systems to adjust for known limitations, it's much harder to deal with inconsistency.

In general, I don't get the uproar and backlash here - maybe the papers have made a bit of a meal of "the answer was right under our noses!" but the reality is Byrne is a decent quality international outhalf. He's effective at most parts of the game, has one major limitation, but as said above its consistent and therefore manageable. He'll get a bunch more caps over the years, he'll act as an effective deputy through the next year, and he'll set a good minimum standard that our next big thing in the 10 jersey needs to meet to take the shirt off him - while also probably providing a stable backup at a point when he gets overtaken. Not sure what people really want here?

Crowley has a decent chance of getting there, but just needs more game time in the 10 jersey to really settle in to be more confident in directing attack rather than just trying to make it himself - realistically he's a better individual rugby player, but as we've seen over the years that's not the entirety of what we need at 10. I don't think he has any obvious career-limiting gaps at this stage that you'd point to that rule him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don't know if we've seen anything seriously lacking in Crowley's game so far, but equally I'm not sure we've seen much to suggest he is or will be a significantly better OH than Carbery or Byrne. Absence of a negative isn't quite the same as a positive and all that guff.

Hopefully it is just a matter of seeing more of him and hopefully he'll get more time at 10 for Munster, starting this weekend. This is one of those times when I really do hope to be proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Good post this and just about sums up the Byrne issue - we'd all love him to have another couple of yards of pace but we can work with what he has and it isn't a big problem as long as we have the quality and defensive intelligence outside him. But it will no doubt become the cross that he gets beaten with endlessly now......

Might I point out that O'Gara managed to be a great Irish outhalf and wasn't exactly speedy.................

Crowley looks to have some of the goods but he needs to settle in as nailed on 10 for Munster and let's see how he develops.

I wonder if Aki’s performance will shift Farrell’s position of picking him (or a centre more generally) in the 23 jersey.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That decision making is also the big failing for Italy right now.

It's great that they want to run the ball and they have the players largely speaking to do it , but there is a time and a place and Italy and Scotland haven't quite locked that down yet.

Russell will try lots of things and when he's "hot" , 75% of them will come off which wins games against most teams , but that ~25% of times where he does something unnecessarily risky will burn him and his team against the top sides.

The intercept at the week-end being a classic example - they had an overlap but he went for big cut-out pass when it was neither needed nor on and coughed up 7 points.

How different would the last 5-10 minutes of the game have been if Scotland hadn't shipped that try?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Not if Henshaw comes back into the 23, as he's the 2nd best 13 in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Tommysocks11

I'm happy with o mahony as very experienced and should come back in at 6 against Scotland but I can't help but wish for baird or maybe beirne eventually to get that role as o mahony goes missing I think and isn't explosive enough or as good as his two back row colleagues who are world class undoubtedly

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agreed - Having both Ringrose and Henshaw available changes the dynamics of what you might need on the bench covering the outside backs.

Think if they both start then JOB is probably the next most likely player , but they might start with McCloskey/Aki at 12 and have Henshaw on the bench.

I think POM is playing very well at the moment tbh. For me, if there's to be any change to the back-row makeup, it'd be with Conan slipping out of the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Based on that 27 man squad,

They kept the 23 that faced Italy, less Bealham, and Crowley, and added the 6 returning injured players.

I make it that unless injury changes things the team will probably be:

Porter, Sheehan or Kelleher, Furlong,

Ryan, Henderson,

Doris and O’Mahony or Conan, Van der Flier,

Gibson-Park or Murray or Casey, Sexton,

Lowe, McCloskey or Henshaw, Ringrose, Hansen,

Keenan.

Reps: Sheehan or Kelleher, Kilcoyne or Healy, O’Toole, Baird, O’Mahony or Conan, Gibson-Park or Murray or Casey, Byrne, McCloskey or Henshaw or O’Brien.

The uncertainty really is whether the returning players will be up to full speed, and no idea which scrum-half would be favoured by the coaches.

A few other calls for hooker, loose-head prop cover, 12 and 23.

I’d expect they’ll go with the best available, so if all fit probably Kilcoyne on the bench, O’Mahony starting with Conan on the bench, GP starting with Murray on the bench, and Sheehan starting, and Henshaw at 12 and McCloskey at 23 would be my guess.

I think Aki will miss out.

Cant see anyone outside the 27 forcing their way into the 23 barring injuries no matter how the URC matches go this wknd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Not sure Henderson is deserving of his spot at the moment. It's a pity McCarthy is out injured, would've been a good opportunity for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

While we haven't been great, we've done well. I don't see any reason for McCloskey to miss out on starting. Or for that matter, Kilcoyne. Both have been grand. Obviously, Ringrose right back in and Sexton too.

I would think Furlong will struggle if he's right back in. He's no form at all, neither does Henshaw.

Porter

Kelleher

O'Toole

Henderson

Ryan

Pom

Vdf

Doris

Murray

J10

Lowe

Stu

Ringer

Hanson

Keenan

Sheehan

Killer

Tadg

Baird

Conan

Jgp

Ross

Job.

If Henshaw is fit, he is in the 23 without any question whatsoever.

If he starts , then JOB is probably front runner for the 23 shirt ,otherwise Henshaw wears 23 and it's McCloskey and Ringrose in the Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

who are the other options though? ringrose is very good but he doesnt kick that regularly for leinster so should only be an emergency option, other than that it would mean bringing in doak/cooney and i dont see that happening pre-rwc.

i do think carty is at a disadvantage playing in the sportsground though to be fair to him

• Advertisement

be careful you dont pull something since that is an absolutely massive reach......

i honestly dont think id swap any of the scottish backs with the irish ones.

Agreed -

Full Strength Irish backline vs. Scotland - None of the Scottish backs are making the starting team

Scrum-half - I'd take Murray/JGP over the Scottish options all day long

Outhalf - Sexton all day long

Centres - Henshaw and Ringose are orders of magnitude better than either of the Scottish centres.

Wings - VDM is a big lump going forward , but I don't really rate the rest of his game so I'd have Lowe ahead of him all the time and Hansen is significantly better than Steyn.

FB - Hogg isn't even in the conversation in comparison to Keenan - If they were picking a Lions squad , Hogg is probably a distant 3rd behind Keenan and Steward

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm taking VDM on the wing every day of the week.

Also if Furlong is fit he is at the very minimum benching, and probably starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

You'd probably get the exact same response from the Scots. Do you think they'd swap Mack Hansen for DVDM? I would say you'd get something close to zero Scottish fans who would make that trade. Anyway we'll find out in about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'd be taking both Scottish wingers. Half backs, centre and full back I'd take the Irish players. But there isn't a whole lot of difference there to be honest. I really rate huw Jones but would have ringrose ahead of him. If ringrose wasn't available I'd have Jones ahead of the other Irish options at 13.

Van der Merwe is probably the only one they could make a case for (im not a big fan personally but i can understand why). there was a time where there was an argument for hogg too but keenan is so far ahead of him now theres no contest. apart from that the irish backline is much better, both overall and on an individual level

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I wonder will it impact RWC squad selection. Assuming both Ringrose and Henshaw are fit, they go. Do McCloskey and Aki go too? We took 4 last time, I suppose we're likely to do the same again.

• Advertisement

It’s a 33 man squad now, instead of a 31 man, so you’d imagine they’ll still go with 4.

We’ve previously went with 2 scrum-halves, so one extra place could go there. Possibly the other spot going to a prop maybe.

Advertisement