Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gomo 5G?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

So, can I just clarify...if anyone signs up now to the 14.99 plan, 5G is available or not?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I am on the €14.99 plan and am getting 5G have been on it since it was introduced.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

5G is only available on the 14.99 plans now, those on the original 9.99 plan and the 12.99 need to upgrade to the 14.99 plan to get 5G. This is obviously GoMo's way of getting people off the older plans now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

Well that answers my question, 2 GoMo sim's here in house and one is the 9.99 plan and other the 14.99 plan. The 14.99 plan has 5g - 4g only on the 9.99 plan. Both phones 5g enabled.

When 5G was in testing mode I had in on the 9.99 plan, but I havent had it for a few months now. I honestly don't know will I bother upgrading, most places I am in have wifi and 4G has always been adequate for my needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

As above, just came off Vodafone rolling billpay to 48 knowing I was losing 5G, I'm going to stick with it as I think 48 and Clear might respond pretty soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

I’m on the €9.99 plan and I’ll be sticking with it. It’s only a mater of time before they make standard to all customers. They’re trying to entice us out of the €9.99 deal before they make it standard for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

So, if all the people who are on GoMo 4G move to GoMo 5G then will people like me who are on the €9.99 and intend to stay on it get better reception and have less congestion\slower speeds if you know what I mean?

Thanks,

M

Can't even get the English text right for this....does not instil much confidence in them!! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

All services on the mast still use the same backhaul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Eir/GoMo 5G doesn't work on the Pixel 6 so 4G will do me just fine.

So no difference\magic increases in speeds for us who stay on the €9.99 plan then! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Pass.. I'm quite happy paying a tenner and getting 4G/4G+, even though I just got a S23U

I personally don't see the point in 5G if you generally have access to fixed line/fibre broadband, or don't rely on the phone for heavy streaming etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

If the fair use limit (120GB) remains for 5G plans then it's not much of an upgrade for those on the legacy price.

5G isn't as much of an upgrade for consumers when compared to the upgrade from 3G to 4G/4G+.

There have been posts in recent years showing speed tests around 200Mbps from Gomo 4G+, that's more than plenty on mobile for most people IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

+1. depend per user and how its used , i have "eaten" this 120GB in three days for home(router) setup with Eir SIM. great when it last, then is not anymore... 5/1Mb cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭ExoPolitic

I'm on the 9.99 plan and I see 5G on my phone when it is available, I saw it just last week when I went to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭ExoPolitic

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Windowsnut

Hmmm

the same T’s and C’s appear to apply to both 9.99 and 14.99 service, and the original sign up states:

“You’ll get all the data, calls and texts you need so go enjoy!”

it doesn’t make a distinction between 4G and 5G service.

this seems to put loyal early adopter customers at a disadvantage….

The official line is if original customers want to avail of 5G services then its requires an update of our existing plan to a more expensive plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Given that GoMo now has 5G for 14.99 is there any advantage of going with Eir Sim Only 14.99 over the GoMo plan? Am I correct in thinking both have the same FUP of 120GB on the plans? I used Eir WIFI calling abroad before and it worked grand, does GoMo allow you use WiFi Calling abroad for no additional charge? GoMo mention the expected 5G speeds would be 50Mbps but I see several people are getting much higher?

We moved house recently and Vodafone and 3 are pretty poor and was thinking of picking up an Eir Sim but could maybe get a GoMo one instead now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

No, because the Eir €14.99 plan won't stay at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

"GoMo allow you use WiFi Calling abroad for no additional charge?"

Maybe someone can confirm either way but Gomo WiFi calling terms say that EEA roaming WiFi calls to non-Ireland numbers that are included when made via mobile network are charged for at international rate when made over WiFi.

From Wifi calling terms...

"11. If you are roaming in the EEA and using GoMo WiFi Calling, your usage will be deducted from domestic standard call and SMS allowance as described in your SIM Only Service. Calls made to Irish numbers will be charged from your domestic plan allowance.

Calls made to the roaming country within which you are staying in or to any number outside of Ireland will be charged at standard international rates from Ireland. If you prefer to pay standard roaming rates for these calls, you have to disable GoMo WiFi Calling."

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭tandcapply

I've only once seen 5G once on my phone, back in 2022 (I'm on the 9.99, 5G phone).

Anyone else other than @ExoPolitic getting 5G recently on the 9.99 plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 digitalvt

I've been with GoMo since the beginning and am completely gobsmacked that 5G isnt included on long standing accounts?

And no, have a 5G capable phone but dont see 5G at all on GoMo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭larchielads

If i upgrade to the 5g, currently on the 15 a month deal and gettin 4g lte, and if it turns out the 5g is crap can i switch off my 5g and revert back to 4g lte on my phone and get back my usual speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

From a phone POV I believe so, if you search "Preferred Network Type" in the settings of an Android you can set it to stay on 4g, however nothing you can do about the price plan.

Im happy enough on the 15 quid plan. May as well "upgrade" to the 5g and see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

What' do you mean "upgrade"?

The €14.99 plan has 5G, you don't need to apply for it again if already on it. Or select anything on GoMo account.

Just turn 5G on, on your phone. Most phones anyway you select 5G/4G/3G/Auto so it select's best available network.

• Advertisement

Well i aint gettin 5g anywhere around waterford so i dont know what the story is

Advertisement