Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

I was going through ER again a few months ago and she turned up in one of the later seasons. She wasn't bad but it was only a small recurring role for a few episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's hard to judge if the actors are good or bad given the material they've been given. Like if I didn't know better, I'd say Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner were terrible actors on the basis of the last two seasons.

I actually do think that Spiner is bad

• Registered Users Posts: 25,611 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Seen him over a fair few shows and series. Always playing a similar character.

He was pretty different in Independence Day and that episode of Friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Are we to assume the threat at the end of S2 is now all forgotten about or is part of this season - doesn't seem to be any connection?

Like no talk about what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I'm not sure entirely forgotten, they did reference Picards synth body and Raffis relationship with Seven. More I think they're going to refer to it as little as often and move on. I would guess there may be a couple of more brief mentions in the early episodes and then done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Was Picard season 2 or Rise of Skywalker worse ? both terrible.... might be a draw...i think rise of skywalker is the worse thing star wars ever produced, is picard season 2 the worse thing star trek ever produced ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The Rafi wan is always on the verge of tears. That’s bad acting.

The exchange between here and her ex husband was terribly scripted.

Really, really poor stuff. It’s upsetting that Star Trek has gone from a post capitalist utopia where the federation couldn’t understand the profit motive of the Ferenghi to a society where star fleet officers get kicked out for being smack heads.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Picard 2 was worse: the way the Hollywood Blockbuster has gone, Rise... was entirely unsurprising for the glib, nostalgic & illogical shíte that it was. Plus it was a foolish reaction to the oversized reaction by fans towards Last Jedi. Picard came from nowhere, and is being produced during a period when Televisual drama is nuanced, mature, and embracing of genres like Sci-Fi; if anything, now was the perfect time for a show about Jean-Luc Picard's later years that did justice to the character.

Imagine if (say) HBO took charge of the material, what they might produce? Or Ronald D Moore took a break from Outlander / For All Mankid to come back to Trek? Instead, the same flippant, made-for-the-trailer approach of blockbuster design infected Picard for no other reason than its head honchos are... the same idiots that brought us Rise of Skywalker, and the dude-bro Trek reboots.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

The entire "trust no-one / Starfleet is corrupted" trope feels very played out by this stage. We've had it in the movies, TNG, DS9, Enterprise, Discovery even earlier seasons of Picard have covered this ground before. It feels like a very lazy justification as to why our old heroes have to come out of retirement when Starfleet won't get the job done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it speaks to the broad zeitgeist though, in minimal fairness to the property: trust in institutions has probably never been as low as it is now across the broad period of "the modern era". Whether it's governments, corporations or all points in-between, especially in America there's a resting hostility towards any kind of Power Structure. Compare that with Original Brand Trek when one trusted the government, one had faith in "Freedom".

Stands to reason that bleeds into its pop culture where simple Utopias can't exist anymore - seriously. When's the last time we saw American Sci-Fi have a genuine, no-caveats-based Utopian ideal? It sucks, but it's also not surprising either; even if when done well, it can be compelling and mature TV (oh look, yet another excuse to say how awesome The Expanse was)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭McFly85

It didn’t even need to be done this time, either. I would totally understand if Beverly had reached out to Picard simply because she knew he’d take it seriously and try to do something about it, and she obviously didn’t have enough time to convince starfleet by herself.

He could have turn called in any old favours to get a decommissioned ship and a crew of old friends to set off to save Beverly.

The way it was done means the federation/starfleet has been infiltrated yet again, and having Picard and Riker steal a ship and risk a crew who wasn’t given an option to save an old flame & crewmate(with practically no other information) makes them seem like incredibly selfish pr*cks that we’re supposed to root for just because we know them.

Generally I think Trek is at its best when it’s a forward looking show, not looking at who we are but who we could be. This latest batch of Trek is constantly looking backwards. Going back to the Kirk era and shoehorning in continuity, focusing on 30 year old characters to sell mediocre stories, putting references front and centre instead of in the background.

Just give me a new ship, new crew and new mission in the 25th century.

To be fair it's not the first time Starfleet has been infiltrated or just flat out attempted a coup.

Post edited by Evade on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yeah, but a common occurrence throughout Picard is removing Starfleet as an ally or resource from the story.

Season 1 Picard was a pariah and there was a Romulan spy as head of security, season 2 they went back in time and now season 3 we’ve been told they’re not to be trusted.

It just seems to me to be a cheap way to keep the characters in danger and boil the story down to good guys vs bad, or possibly they think it would be too easy for Picard to overcome anything with the full might of Starfleet behind him and would dilute his victory.

I would prefer if Starfleet was just treated in a similar way to how it has been portrayed previously - a politically influenced organisation that Picard has friends and enemies in where he needs to know how best to call on them and when.

Patrick Stewart said he would only come back if Picard was kept out of uniform and starships. That's why Starfleet are at arms length.

TBH if I was told that as a producer I would have turned the whole thing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,585 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think there's just far far easier and better ways of doing that than continuously turning Starfleet into this entirely corrupted entity too though.

I mean, the fact that Bev's kid is a wanted felon already achieves that. Don't call Starfleet cause he'll be out of the frying pan and into the fire. There's just no need for a 'trust no one' element in there.

I quite like the idea of a post-starfleet Picard, getting into small scale mysteries. The show would only benefit from scaling the problems down imo - the scale we're at right now is fine, saving Bev and son from a localised conflict. But we all know it's going to escalate into something galaxy defining, because that's all these storytellers know how to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

As for Kurtzmann killing the franchise Discovery is 5 season in with a spin off. Picard got 3 seasons and we have 2 more shows running. He makes shte Trek but he has also some how revived not killed Trek.

He did not revive Trek as much as I hate to say it it was JJ Abrams that revived Trek with the 2009 Star Trek film.

Without that film Star Trek was dead on T.V and in the Cinema's.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ya I agree but don't forget Kurtzmann was co-writer and producer on the JJ movies.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Generally I think Trek is at its best when it’s a forward looking show, not looking at who we are but who we could be. This latest batch of Trek is constantly looking backwards. Going back to the Kirk era and shoehorning in continuity, focusing on 30 year old characters to sell mediocre stories, putting references front and centre instead of in the background.

Just give me a new ship, new crew and new mission in the 25th century.

I agree totally and it is what we need now too more than ever. Hope fir humanity something that can inspire and give us as well as whole new generations hope for the future for a better future for all of humankind.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Patrick Stewart has become a weird case of an actor defined by a key role he doesn't always seem to get. That stupid dune buggy chase in Nemesis was Stewart's idea, fadó fadó, right?

Ya I think that was another attempt to put Patrick Stewart into the Picard character.

Patrick Stewart loves fast cars not Picard.

Ms

EltonJohn69

Registered Users

Was Picard season 2 or Rise of Skywalker worse ? both terrible.... might be a draw...i think rise of skywalker is the worse thing star wars ever produced, is picard season 2 the worse thing star trek ever produced ?

Picard season 2 was worse.

I quite enjoyed Rise Of Skywalker in the Cinema.

pixelburp

Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators

GreyjoyFeb 27, 2023

The entire "trust no-one / Starfleet is corrupted" trope feels very played out by this stage. We've had it in the movies, TNG, DS9, Enterprise, Discovery even earlier seasons of Picard have covered this ground before. It feels like a very lazy justification as to why our old heroes have to come out of retirement when Starfleet won't get the job done.

I think it speaks to the broad zeitgeist though, in minimal fairness to the property: trust in institutions has probably never been as low as it is now across the broad period of "the modern era". Whether it's governments, corporations or all points in-between, especially in America there's a resting hostility towards any kind of Power Structure. Compare that with Original Brand Trek when one trusted the government, one had faith in "Freedom".

Stands to reason that bleeds into its pop culture where simple Utopias can't exist anymore - seriously. When's the last time we saw American Sci-Fi have a genuine, no-caveats-based Utopian ideal? It sucks, but it's also not surprising either; even if when done well, it can be compelling and mature TV (oh look, yet another excuse to say how awesome The Expanse was)

I tried to get into the Expanse but not for me. Really did not like it and its certainly not anywhere near as good as Babylon 5 was.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,585 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The Expanse is absolutely brilliant alright... though definitely needs a bit of patience to get into before it really opens up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I watched the first few episodes, thought "this isn't for me", left it for a couple of years then returned to it after hearing the reviews. Gets better as the characters bond and it's not just another dystopian show where everyone are assholes to each other.

In the Expanse once they get their ship it picks up a lot.

It's a long long time since I read the first book, but I recall being surprised season 1 of the show had the Rocinante crew hating each others' guts from the start. Seemed overdone for some interpersonal conflict and thankfully it was ironed out quickly enough.

I don't think they hated each other but they weren't a Starfleet either. They worked on a freighter and were thrown together by circumstance once they were no longer working on the freighter they didn't really have any loyalty to one another, until they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

RIKER IS ONE COLD HEARTED SON OF A BITCH.

Post edited by EltonJohn69 on

Advertisement