Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭khumbu

Since Virgin Media have refused to pay for extra bandwidth on saorview for VM1 in HD and as HD now available on 3 of their live channels on app, a cheap solution would be add a hbbtv prompt on any/all their saorview channels to launch a HD stream of same channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭deezell

Great idea, something like the BBC button options which bring up IPlayer for Catchup, or the ITVX project, which may offer something similar. It may be in development.

Currently its fairly clunky with BBC, waiting for iplayer to load and run, then you're off the main epg and can't switch rapidly. How fast they could get a stream app running depends on the TV OS I guess. Ironically, Samsung, of the unfriendly satellite/terrestrial EPG, (you'd swear it was Star wars, earth v space), and no VMplayer, have their own free stream channels, and it's integrated directly into the epg, right after the terrestrial channels. I've not tried sorting to see if I could move some into the middle of the Saorview channels, and there's no settings option where you can enter a channel stream .m3u file format or similar for custom streams, but this would be a brilliant platform for VM hd streams, except its proprietary to Samsung.

My ageing Linux box can/could do this, in the EPG file lists you could edit a channel to point to a stream source IP along with the channel metadata, rather than tuner data, and the channels would sit in the EPG like off air channels, instant-ish access, until the dodgy iptv source vanished, or changed ip, which was too frequent to be bothered eventually. It's been a long time since you could access the stream sources of players like RTE or then TV3 outside of their apps, time was you could with a few lines of html.

I've said before here that VMplayer is likely to be a semi subscription app in the future, with the terrestrial channels free in HD as the carrot for other paid content. Then you could have prompts on the terrestrial channels to take you to More or Sport extra, catchup or just live HD, with hopefully a rapid epg, or integration into the terrestrial epg using the hbbtv technology. Don't hold your breath.

Just a final point. How economical is it to provide potentially 300,000+ point to point HD streams free over the WAN, (modern shared IPV6 and multicasting not withstanding to spread it out), as compared to the cost of a single 6mbs average stream on a broadcast platform. How much does it cost to run these servers to 100,000s of simultaneous clients, let alone time shifted ones? I tried several times during the world cup to switch from a prompt on my BBC HD satellite to the iplayer 4K feed, I had iplayer working fine on android TV, but the traffic demand just overwhelmed it, it would play in 4k then freeze. All this tech wrecks my head eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Has there been any word from VM on when they expect the player to start updating again.

It hasn't updated since last Tuesday.

I presume it is over the hacking incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Not quite fully recovered, judging by their schedules. Live programmes like Tonight Show, 6 O'Clock Show not getting repeats in their regular slots. Loose Women remaining on VM2 at 12:30, but no repeat on VM1 at 3pm. No repeats of Ant & Dec's SNT on Sunday, no repeats of Love Island after midnight either.

All sport games shown on VM More are all pre-hack days - so there is no reshowing of games from the 2nd legs of the Europa League, and the weekend's 6 Nations games. They're still ok showing the 1st leg games though of Europa League, and the daily showing of Liverpool's 1984 final with Roma. Europa League highlights, Formula E highlights, Champions League Mag/Weekly also not shown on the channel.

Podcast/turned TV show - The Group Chat remains off air too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭RoTelly

It is funny I was half expecting that News @ 7 was a pre-record.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I’m not sure if their content on the VM Player is strong enough to be monetised, to be honest. They will have hard trouble getting pay TV customers to pay again for stuff they already have access to. I know there’s sometimes a tendency to assume everyone’s jumped on the free to air revolution but in fact there’s still 1 million plus pay tv subscribers out there.

VM will have to merge their VMTV Player into their VM On Demand service for it to work. It always seems to me that VM are looking to off load the TV side of the business, and it works purely as an advert to for their pay service (though the content isn't strong enough to do that IMO).

It will all depend where TV goes, likely VMTV will be fully merged into the umbrella of VM, where it forgets about the FTA side of things bar for Sports and News (could they sell off some thing like that and retain the rights to ITV studio programming, a LIVE TV3 channel of some kind?)

I also believe that 1 million pay TV subs along with the PAY ON DEMAND services are a result of content coming from RTÉ and VMTV.

______

Yesterday

The problem for Liberty Global is that VM Ireland (as a whole) no longer fits in their plans but they have no one to offload it to and the fact that it has a FTA broadcast business attached to it is one of the main reasons why.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭batistuta9

There's been some updates to it today but it's been over two weeks since some shows have been added.

On Twitter they're saying their working on it but no timeline

According to VM2 epg for this evening, it seems Liverpool are replaying all this seasons champions league matches, starting with AC Milan.

Maybe they'll overturn last weeks unfavourable 2-5 trashing by Real, in VM's alternative reality at any rate. (Note my sat box epg channel icons are also living in the past, almost appropriate).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

My god. The eejits at VM have that match description above written in the Saorview app as well. Bunch of amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭lertsnim

There's a Saorview app again? On what platform?

Bayern Munich v Paris St Germain, was the match televised for what its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

What a channel

Virgin media news at 5.30 top story: Gary Lineker. Second story, the Oscars and the lack of a red carpet.

Only then do they mention the collapse of Silicon valley bank. Not like that's big news at all. Virgin media news really is the Love Island of news stations - complete brain mush

Tabloid TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I actually like their news (when they do it right) but I agree that news bulletin was all over the place.

I can't abide some of the the bottom shelf US/UK programming they show but I'm ok with anything they produce themselves, right back to the shoestring days of TV3. Kind of reminds me of life in the 80s, make do, chewing gum and string, etc. They won't be tempting Gary Lineker over any time soon, but their correspondent Zara King is the real deal, total pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭mattser

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Delta2113

They had reporter Paul Quinn on Ireland AM this morning report on the Gary Lineker story from Central Dublin - no not Central London - comical stuff.

• Advertisement

Better than having to endure a day return Ryanair flight just to pose in front of the Beeb. They should have green screened it in. They sent Zara to Hollywood, so the kitty was probably empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭AJB39

In fairness to Virgin Media the Gary Lineker story has been high up the headlines on RTÉ News over the weekend as well. The Oscars was also a much bigger story then usual because there were so many Irish nominations. The Oscars were the second headline on the RTÉ News last night as well and Zara King probably would not have been sent out there in any other year.

Post edited by AJB39 on

They won sfa anyway, but nomination is a financial and career game changer, so no real losers. I don't even know what won, I'll read it later. All quiet is a decent war film, but I didn't see where all the awards they already got at the Balta came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RAKM

I like VM news but I agree GL and Oscar stories not important. Generally shorter than RTE. Often I don't need my news coverage to be too long. I find Six-One is way too long. 30 mins enough just like 9pm news.

Seems that most of the Irish Press contingent were given free flights to the Oscars by Aer Lingus. At least it seemed that way the amount of times on social media they thanked Aer Lingus.

[mod:paragraph deleted, see post below]

In fairness to all Virgin Media News seem to have very few News and Current Affairs reporters. Are there about 15 reporters working in Virgin Media with the rest largely presenters?

Post edited by icdg on

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I had no issue with them reporting on Gary Lineker but having a reporter do a LIVE report from central Dublin was bizarre.

We might avoid making personal comments on people who aren’t here to defend themselves.

Enjoying the racing on VM1. Here's the runners and odds for the Late Late stakes.

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Rugby World Cup rights shared between RTE and Virgin Media

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/2023/03/16/rte-and-virgin-media-secure-rugby-world-cup-2023-rights-for-all-48-matches/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Nice win today, it was also nice to see Scotland Vs Italy on RTE2 in HD of course, we had to settle for SD for the Ireland Vs England game on VM1, its beggers belief that this is happening in this day and age.

Advertisement