Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Even then technically the shop is assisting with tax fraud which I’d imagine revenue wouldn’t look too kindly upon.

Especially if they’re potentially modifying invoices to allow two bikes to be purchased under the scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If the bike to work allowed kids bikes that would make sense. I wouldn't expect that from the crowd that think €250 covers an ebike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Apologies, I just meant if they ask for the full amount from the middle men or company, it's just a purchase as shops don't run the scheme but you are right. If they put up a receipt that is incorrect with the intention of assisting fraud, revenue will not take kindly to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭cletus

I understand that boards.ie as an entity don't want discussions about potential tax fraud happening on their platform, which is the reason why the above conversation gets shut down semi regularly, but how many people, would anyone here care to estimate, actually use the bike for its intended purpose, i.e.

Qualifying journeys

You must mainly use the bicycle and safety equipment for qualifying journeys. This means the whole or part of a journey between your home and your normal place of work.

Your employer will ask you to sign a statement stating that the bicycle:

is for your own use

will be mainly used for qualifying journeys

The percentage may be higher in urban areas, where bicycle commutes are relatively an easier option, but (anecdotally I know), I don't know a single person who has availed of the scheme, and who uses the bike primarily for commuting.

Hi all,

My sister is getting a bike via Travel Hub and was asking if I knew how long the voucher would take. No idea and can't find anything via search. Anyone used them recently? How long does it normally take to issue a voucher? Her payroll already confirmed the salary deduction.

• Advertisement

Typically after the next payroll cycle if paid monthly, so if she's already done it, she should have it before the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Do I attach the real invoice for the bike I want or a photocopy of the invoice when applying for the scheme? Thanks

Depends on your company, the scheme will be run by your employer. Best to ask them. Is it through a 3rd party or directly through your company?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ChickenDish

Looking at getting an electric bike on the bike to work scheme. That being said I know nothing about them (I've used a good old fashioned push bike in the past), I'm looking for some pointers i.e. battery (what type/size), brakes, make, reliability etc etc

I've looked online at reviews of various bikes, but I'd like some imput from people here. Kinda erring more towards chucky wheels, roads on northside like going off road (Malahide road/Fairview)

Budget around €1500.00

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,367 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

try popping in to 360 cycles out near bull island if that's near where you're from, to see what they might stock - they've a good reputation for being a decent bunch.

• Advertisement

Looking at a Fiido M1 Pro, seems to tick all the boxes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,367 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are they the ones which sound like a swarm of angry bees? really wide, knobbly tires?

if so, i'd be driven to distraction by the noise.

You won’t need fat off-road tyres unless you plan on bringing it mountain biking, complete overkill for commuting on roads.

Will be fairly noisy as magicbastarder says, plus fairly slow because of the rolling resistance

I've always leaned towards mountain bikes when cycling, I know road bikes/hybrids are faster & take less energy, but I'm more at home being on a bike which is more forgiving and can hop a kerb/survive a pothole than something that needs optimum road conditions to reach its potential.

I'd argue that knobbly tyres are more suited to the route I'd take to work. Fairview is essentially off road at the moment. Plus my wife will be using it as well and she is a lot less experienced on push bikes than me. Noise wouldnt put me off, I'm a motorcyclist so I wear ear plugs anyway.

If I was younger and fitter I'd probably forgo getting an electric bike and just buy a regular one, but I'm not particularly fit and the moment and I think its a good fit for me.

I commute using the same route, have done for the last 10-15 years, genuinely off-road tyres won’t do anything for you. Wider 700c road tyres will be much better. You’re not going to get much more puncture protection because they have knobbles, you’re just wasting energy and battery.

A regular EBike with 35-40mm tyres is more than you could ever need, with a decent set of schwalbe marathons

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I like the way they suggest carrying it onto the bus - it's 32kg!

I'd agree it's overkill for riding around Dublin, and also not technically road legal (though none of the Fiido bikes are and you see kids on them everywhere).

32kg? My wife's bike is a bit of a behemoth, and it's 25kg. 32kg makes it a bit too unwieldy, I suspect.

Tried that trip on road bike, got a puncture hoping a kerb on first trip, not too fast mind you (totally my fault). This was before the madness that is Fairview now, using the Fiido or similar will give me and the wife a bigger margin for error. More tyre surface on the road does provide more grip, especially on gravel or turning corners. Granted if the road surface is perfect, skinny tyres are the way to go. Your 10/15 years experience cannot be underestimated, your obviously a veteran cyclist and better suited to the type of bike you use. Novice cyclists (like the wife) are not really suited to using road bikes without experience under their belt.

That certainly is the downside, but that's not the reason the bike appealed to me, the fact it folds is just a bonus. I'd imagine it will be the Dart and not the bus if we do fold and travel, not ideal but either is carrying 32kg onto a bus.

Look I’ll agree to disagree, but I’m not talking about skinny tyres, 40mm wide tyres are near the equivalent of a mtb tyre. My ma commutes to the IFSC down through Fairview on a regular EBike and she’s only been back on a bike for a year or two for the first time in about 40 years. You’ll get almost zero extra grip with those fat tyres that you wouldn’t already have, plus the bike will be about 15kg lighter.

It’s like saying you need a set of knobbly tyres on a Ford Ranger pickup truck to drive into town.

• Advertisement

Knobbly tyres have feck all contact patch with the road. They're made for digging into dirt on trails, the little rubber blocks are made to act like claws in dirt. On the road you'll have less actual tyre touching the ground compared to a road tyre. They absolutely do not make sense from a grip or comfort stand point.

Plenty of wider road tyres out there for grip and comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Arguably you've less grip as the knobbles (knobblies, knobs, lumps?) will mean less tyre surface in contact with the road surface. I'd argue unless you're talking about negotiating mud, they don't add anything. Aquaplaning is a non issue as well unless you're planning on topping 100km/h (https://sheldonbrown.com/tyres.html) which I doubt even the most souped up Fiido is up to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I'm looking to buy this electric bike under the BTW scheme - it seems very cheap compared to others - is there anything that I might be missing?

https://www.halfords.ie/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-subway-e-mens-electric-hybrid-bike-2.0---16%22%2C-18%22%2C-20%22-frames-445926.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It's cheap for a reason. 5-6 hours charge for 40km..ish range. All of the components are pretty basic and I'd say it will rust at the thoughts of moisture. I've no idea on motors but suntour being suntour I wouldn't say it's great. Also 18kg is pretty hefty.

In saying all of that I'm sure it's perfectly fine as a commuter/run around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Thank You. Apologies if this is the wrong thread but could anyone recommend an ebike in the €2k range for a 13km commute each way that is quite hilly. I'm looking for a hybrid style bike rather than foldable and battery range is not a priority as I can charge at both ends of the journey. It will be through the BTW scheme.

Halfords are still using ye olde imperial system - it's 40 miles, so 60km. I'd have said 18kg is light enough for an eBike, a lot of them are well north of 20kg.

my wife's ebike is 24KG and she'd often travel with a couple of kilos in the pannier, the weight is not an issue (unless you're lugging it in and out of tight spaces at each end)

Ah true, I notice the reviews on that particular bike aren't great with one questioning the range.

I guess by the time you add in a decent size battery and motor the weight adds up.

OP I think Orbea have some nice looking hybrid ebikes

• Advertisement

the weight is an issue if you have to lift it up kerbs, or in and out of the house, onto a train etc and you have a bad back or other mobility problems.

Advertisement