Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I seem to recall Clarke kicking one out over the sideline while Coen was free and unmarked the other side towards the end of that 2017 final but yeah, Hennelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

''wasn't a big surprise'':::: everybody was surprised it was one of the if not the biggest decision I ever saw in a final........by a country mile. Everybody was surprised pundits, supporters even other managers.

Was it Clarke fault the kickouts were going wrong. Was the first day not the day that Aidan O Shea was put in FF for the last ten minutes and did not stay in there and ended up kicking in a sideline ball instead of being in underneath it.

And ya Hennelly should have been substituted after 20-25 minutes at the replay he had completely cracked under the pressure.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

Can we leave the Clarke/Hennelly debate in the past? It's been done to death over the years since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I have always rated Hennelly highly and think he should be our number 1 this year.

However, changing goalkeeper for an AI final replay is daft. The fact Clarke had one bad kickout 12 months later doesn't prove anything. Sure he won an All star and was nominated for player of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I’ll leave it with a repeat of my earlier comment. If it wasn’t blindingly obvious to some that kickouts at the end of the drawn game cost us about 4 points, it certainly was obvious to others.

“for all the comments that people have about Robbie in that replay, there was a clear reason at the end of that drawn game for Robbie’s selection in the replay. 

If Rochford didn’t spot the issue, that would have been a failure of management. 

If he spotted the issue and failed to act on it, it would have been a failing of management.

The decision to start Robbie in the replay was in my view 100% justified.”

It’s been done to death at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bloody hell

I come back and see 3 pages and think maybe Oisin Mulllin has got as excited as us and flown home

Nope it’s just a good auld Clarke/Hennelly debate :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

While we're reminiscing

It's raining in Mayo heartland and hearts as the inquests begin

Mayo reaction to All-Ireland SFC humiliation: Keith Duggan on the anger and disappointment in the county at their latest setback

In a Shakespearean touch, it has not stopped raining in the west since Sunday. The rain buckets down on Mayo and there is nothing for it but to bemoan another distorted and inglorious All-Ireland defeat.

Mickey Moran and John Morrison have, understandably, asked for a few days of solitude. Morrison did make encouraging sounds on Sunday night after reviewing the day's events and promising the management would, given time, sit down with the players individually and try to work out what was going on in their heads.

He vowed Mayo would be back, which was at least an early indication the Ulster men are planning to return for the second year of their managerial term.

For the players, the Mayo club championship looms large, but after a desperately subdued return to the Welcome Inn in Castlebar, the squad officially broke up, a dismaying end to a greatly promising season.

Much more so than in 2004, when there were clear signs that Mayo were labouring in the build-up to the All-Ireland final, the nature of last Sunday's defeat remains inexplicable and, for many supporters, unacceptable.

The reaction lies between crushing disappointment and outright anger.

After sitting through The Sunday Game as a panellist, former Mayo star Kevin McStay headed home and wrote a very strong column for the Mayo News arguing that enough was enough.

"I wasn't angry, it wasn't that," he explains, "as an ex-player, you know what it feels like to get walloped and it isn't pleasant to pick up a newspaper or listen to a radio and see a former player cutting the socks of you. But driving home, I thought of my own people who came over here from Boston thinking, 'God, if they won and I wasn't there, I'd never forgive myself'. Nobody put a gun to their heads, but it was an awful lot of time and effort and hundreds of people did the same.

"And it was hard to square off that collective effort with what we saw on the field. The bit that killed me was that apparent lack of ordinary effort, the simple blocking and tackling. That feeling that this game was the biggest day in their lives.

"And I have been critical of David Brady in the past, but I take my hat off to him because he stood up to be counted when he went in. But I felt that there weren't that many standing with him."

Amid the disappointment, theories and criticisms abound. That Mayo did not set out with an obvious contingency plan to counter the threat of Kieran Donaghy has been the chief criticism. But there were problems all over the field and Kerry were masterful in quietening Mayo's key men.

As Jack O'Connor remarked with a satisfied grimace on Sunday evening, they "cracked" the Mayo midfield. Contrary to pre-match expectations, Tommy Griffin was the key man. The heavyweight pair of Darragh Ó Sé and Ronan McGarritty sort of cancelled each other out.

"Yeah, but Mayo needed more than for Darragh Ó Sé to be quiet," counters McStay. "We needed Ronan McGarrity to be huge."

Once again, Tom O'Sullivan hounded Conor Mortimer, although a substantial argument can be made that the Shrule man never got quality ball and was playing a dead match before he got his first meaningful touch.

Aidan O'Mahony marked Ciarán McDonald diligently, tracking the Mayo playmaker back and coolly kicking two points when the opportunities presented themselves as the Crossmolina man, with increasing desperation, tried to make things happen.

"And the explanation for Alan Dillon's game is that once Mayo's overall game plan was obliterated, his role effectively disappeared," adds McStay.

Still, it is the minor details that haunt him. He instances a sequence when a clearance by Séamus Moynihan was half-blocked down. A Mayo player, racing into defence, was too distracted or rushed to notice that the ball was about to fall near him - as he tore back to cover, Paul Galvin was racing the other way, alive to the break.

For Donaghy's goal, he noticed a defender was torn between his natural defensive instinct to race to David Heaney's assistance and a fear of leaving his own man unmarked. That second of hesitation was fatal. "We were bamboozled. And there are plenty of examples, I don't want to pick on individual players."

Anyway, it is as a unit that Mayo failed. And as the team and county go back to the drawing board, there may be a loudening clamour for a fundamental change of the fast and open attacking game that Mayo play.

Mayo are comfortably a Division One team and, as regular provincial championship contenders, a reasonable bet for the last eight of the championship. But there is a mounting feeling that if they are to push on, they will need to play a more sinister and narrow-minded game.

"I don't know if that is the way," argues McStay. "Our style is our style. And when it is good, it is very pleasing to the eye. If we were to go the other way and try and embrace the darker side, as they say, I am not sure we are cute enough to pull it off.

"Take a guy like David Brady, one of the toughest players on the Mayo team, but I am not sure he would be able to adapt to playing the game on the borders of the rules the whole time."

Like most Mayo football people, McStay is uncertain as to where or how things will go from here. Leaving Croke Park last week, he met a former Kerry great who was genuinely troubled and perplexed about Mayo's fretful showing. But speaking of the three most impressive forwards who played for Mayo this year, he noted that only Dillon, the industrious, roving wing forward, would have fitted comfortably into the contemporary demands of the Kerry panel.

"What he was saying was that only Dillon, with his direct approach and incredible work ethic, would have been acceptable to Kerry. I suppose that is a reflection of how we play the game in Mayo. There is an extravagance to our game.

"Being honest, I suppose I liked being that bit extravagant when I was playing myself. And I look back and think, God above, why didn't someone grab me and shout stop. But I suppose it goes back to the way we play the game."

And all they can do is keep on playing and keep clinging to the word that has trailed them all summer - faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Was the throw in time for Sunday changed to 2:45 or was it always that time? Could have sworn rte website had it down as 12:45 when I checked it on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

RTE website definitely had it as 1245 last weekend, not sure if that was an error or not. GAA ticketing website is showing 1445 so I presume that's correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Western had it for 14:45 back in December.

Someone mentioned it being wrong (at 12:45) on the Scór Beo app recently too so probably some typo or bad information floating around somewhere or other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Alas the Hype Train™ hasn't reached Australia yet it seems but if you're missing Oisin you can watch him butchering the Irish language every Tuesday night on RTE 1....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Would Oisín even make the team now😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Plus, it's giving me bad memories.

More of the here and now please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

It's on TG4 so that might have something to do with the change of throw in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Mayo are peaking way too soon…….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

yea, agree. we seem to be peaking in the first half, and sneaking a win. Hows it working for galway? or would you be more a hurling fan? speaking of, that wasnt hectic either? theyll probably peak in december and come away with a moral victory eh?

Well it's hard to know.

I'm always wary of teams that are not excpected to do well in the league getting off to a great start and over achieving.

It's usually because they are playing with a championship team while others are late coming back and/or experimenting.

Mayo are off to a flyer but Kerry were far from a championship team the night they played them, I don't know about Tyrone, Armagh or Galway.

The only players I can think that would be starters in the championship but are not starting now are Hennelly, Durkan, Cillian, and recovery permitting Conroy.

But at the same time Mayo are playing a lot of newish players, and they are playing well. There seems to be great competition for places, and the squad overall is very fresh and injury free.

That freshness I think is a result of an earlier than usual exit in a season that finished early.

So to be honest I'm not sure, but the reality is it really doesn't matter until the group stages and even later, which are still a while away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

your rising to the bait. Galweigan throwing in a grenade to stir the pot, rather than provide insightful input.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

Assuming the O'Shea-Carr-O'Donoghue full forward line holds it's form and stays the same going into Championship, with O'Connor and Conroy coming off the bench and the likes of Carney able to play in there, it must be by far the best selection of FFs Mayo have ever had?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

I remember having a mad dash around Glasnevin to try and meet my contact with the tickets who was stuck in traffic coming in the N2 and finally getting from there to the top tier of the Cusack 10 minutes before throw in to look out on the pitch to see Hennelly warming up and wonder WTF happened Clarke.

Oisín son of Fionn mac Cumhaill wouldn't even make this team!

Post edited by crusd on

I've a feeling that O'Shea could get found out in the championship.

Kicking high, diagonal ball into a big man inside has been snuffed out plenty of times before.

If you have a fit O'Connor, O'Donoghue and Conroy I don't see why that would not be your full forward line.

Keep O'Shea as an impact sub.

I really don't care for the poster I replied to, but I think it's worth discussing if this team an sustain what they have done so far and into the championship in different conditions against better teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

We're not exactly kicking high diagonal balls into him. Or at the very least, it's not all about launching balls into him.

There's much more work gone into it imo. In the past, it often seemed like a tactic/plan B that we worked on, in a state of panic, in the week between big games. I think McStay is quite rightly taking the league to work on it.

It looks like they've done a lot of work on patterns of play and specific movements to get O'Shea the ball and to then have runners feeding off him. In an awful lot of cases it's a relatively short foot or hand pass into his chest.

It still might not work if we get to CP, but it's a much different approach this time around imo.

There has been no real signs that O'Donoghue will be playing in the full forward line. He's playing much deeper so far.

Mayo are one point worse off than the same stage last year. It's not unusual for us to be towards the top of division 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I'd disagree on AOS, when he was played in there previously he has always done well. He got awful abuse for his display in the '21 final but he won pretty much every ball that went into him but there was no support for him when he came down, so he was expected to turn and kick it over the bar which isn't his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Funny. If I was Kevin or the team I'd be coming at the that from the opposite side.

Lucky to scrape a draw against a missfiring Galway side. Threw away a win against a not firing Armagh side. Got two relatively easy wins against Kerry and Tyrone sides that didn't show up. Wouldn't be overly worried about looking to sustain the current form so much as aiming to push on a few levels with it ourselves over the Provincials and Round Robin.

Great to see lads like Diarmuid, Jordan, Enda, Aidan or James having fun, moving well and striking the ball well (at times.... that 'rocky' 20 minutes against Tyrone where we dominated the game but had nothing on the score board from dropped or fumbled balls, mistakes and poorly hit shots shows how easy things can turn) but none of them will be getting too excited yet. I'd well imagine they've all had tougher AvB games this year than we've seen so far in the NFL.

All we can really ask for at this stage of the season, especially the new condensed season, is lads to avoid injuries (Eoghan making his way back from concussion from Sigerson duty and knocks picked up by Darren and Rory suggest we'd hope for a little better luck there) and beat what's put in front of them. All the better to do it with a little swagger, throwing in a few goals and managing to keep a clean sheet or two to help build a little confidence. Plenty of positives to build on, especially the movement and creativity we've shown, but nothing that should be making ourselves or the lads too giddy.

Can't remember Aido winning many (or any) high diagonals this year? James has won a couple but can't remember Aido taking one above chest height to date (and even low diagonals only the single one against Armagh springs to mind). Very open to correction there but none stand out.

His ball winning abilities and strength have been a huge part of his play inside but not the old fashioned hoofed ball in and high fielding stuff that has failed for us/him in the past. It's mostly pop passes and chest high stuff where the defence just can't stop him turning or laying off to whoever is on his shoulder for him to cause chaos.

Pretty easy stuff to stop inside by playing a sweeper directly in front... but that's fine too. The setup isn't looking for Aido to be a dominant scorer just to link things up and if they tie up two defenders on him it leaves a lot of extra space for runners from deep and lads looping around. Taking it 1v1 I'm not sure there's a player in the country that can stop him winning more than his fair share of clever balls (was surprised to see Foley swapped with Casey in the Kerry match.... though that could have been hoping Foley would do a more impactful job elsewhere rather than expecting Casey to do better on Aidan directly). He's just too big, too strong and has great hands for it to be easily stopped 1v1. So while it can be stopped, relatively easily, it would always be coming at a significant cost for opposition that would allow advantage elsewhere.

That said, lovely to have options with Ryan/Tommy/James/Cillian (Conor and Paul hopefully also stepping up to push those) to pick from. Wouldn't have any strong feelings on who should be starters or finishers there. A combination of form and match ups should allow decent decisions to be made game to game. I'd expect to see a couple of them turning up outside of 13-15 from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

He got way too much abuse for that final when he wasn't even close to being the worst performer on the day. There were a few others I could name who didn't exactly show up.

The O'Shea positional thing is being bedded in atm which is definitely markedly different to how it was tried in the past. Previously, it was just throw him in and see what happens sort of thing with no real gameplan behind it. There seems to be more of an attempt being made to construct a plan around this. Aidan is winning ball and laying it off, and he has great hands which is being utilised well. James O'Donoghue made the point recently that an O'Shea type figure who draws defenders towards him and just lays it off nicely to another person inside to pop over the bar or into the net is the dream situation.

The situation with him at the moment is certainly better than it has been in recent years. He looks re-energized and clearer in what his role is. He isn't being dragged all over the place and being asked to do everything. He has a clear job. Now maybe it won't work in summer, we'll see, but it's worth finding out and seeing how it goes. It's a long time since he influenced games and at the moment he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Unchanged team named

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I would have these concerns as well. Its the speed that I would feel is where it could fall down on drier pitches and defenders been faster to get in front and win ball ...add in sweepers as well. With a tactic like this known by all, I think teams will focus on it and have a plan in place. We will probably get days where it will work and others where it will just fall down.

The good aspect is that we are not doing it all the time so we are very open to how we attack and look to the best option..... There is a more natural feel to how this is happening. It early days so it is working at the moment.....We won't really know until you hit CP so time will tell.

• Advertisement

It all about the way you do it and what supports you put in place. One of the main advantages is you can tie up two or three defenders when the other team.go on the attack. But you have to be willing to keep players in the forward position. Manny team might let O'Shea man on man in the back as he is not fast over short distances. However if he was in there with another player ROD for example you might need three defenders. The temptation is for forwards to get sucked back when defenders go up in support of attacks.

Either way it's can be a high risk strategy for both sides

Slava Ukrainii

I remember when O'Shea ran riot at FF in the 2015 Connacht final v Sligo people suggesting that Horan's biggest mistake was not playing O'Shea at FF.

We have been here before.

I am wary about getting too excited about stuff that works in spring, because it may not always work in summer.

I hope I'm wrong, but the proof will be in the group stages, not in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

But was his ff role properly defined by Horan? He could be named at ff and would be found from midfield to our own square. Tactically, his role at ff under Horan just never seem to be properly orchestrated. With the new management, I would have faith in them changing a system during the game if something wasn clearly not working. Not something Horan was particularly astute at.

In fairness, O'Shea has played a good bit at full forward under Holmes/Connelly, Rochford and Horan so it's nothing new. I don't see much difference in what McStay is doing. O'Shea still drifts out at times to the middle third - that's where he done most damage vs Armagh. Also the kick pass he played into Carr for the goal last week.

There's always so much focus on O'Shea. After the Tyrone final he was the main problem in the team. Now he's apparently been reinvented as a top class inside forward. The truth is always in the middle somewhere.

But in 2015 it was H&C not Horan.

That was the point people were making, was not playing O'Shea at FF part of Horan's failure to guide them to a title ?

Was it the missing piece ?

Obviously not in the end but that was the narrative going into the 2015 quarter finals.

After the Tyrone final he was the main problem in the team

I think a lot of that was from people outside Mayo who like to come out of the woodwork and comment on these sort of things after a final.

Daragh Maloney mentioning early in the game that O'Shea had never scored in an All Ireland final was fuel for them.

Far less would have been said about O'Shea if they had not heard that.

That's nothing against Daragh Maloney by the way, it's something any good commentator that had their homework done would say.

Anyone know the story with kids entry at The Hyde tomorrow. Had assumed u16s are free entry and didn’t require a ticket however Roscommon GAA had a post up saying the game is All ticket. Bringing two young lads to their first away game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Hyde park has a maximum attendance level of 19k so it's all ticket because of that. It should fill tomorrow

Slava Ukrainii

But does that mean that kids who don’t have tickets might not get in? Contrary to what has been said for ticket arrangements this year.

• Advertisement

Kids get in free if they have a ticket. Just because U16 are free is not a gaurantee of admission. Austin Stacks in Kerry is only 15k capacity. They have to allow for annual sales and stadia below 20 if not 25k will be all ticket I imagine

Slava Ukrainii

So ticketmaster leading people astray so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

the only flaw i can see from an outsider looking in is the drop off in performance late in games , other wise all boxes are being ticked

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Mayo are the best performing team in the league so far, to some they’re ‘peaking too soon’. To others there are areas they still need to work on. I think they’re playing fantastic, the new management team has put together a great set up for the league, defensively they’re much tighter overall. More forwards getting scores each game and much more variety to their attack.

Do they have another gear or two come championship? I think they do. What about players such as O’Hora, Durkan, Conroy? I think they’ll have to earn place on the current team but great to have them and such competition for places. There is no easy answer as to should Mayo go on and win the league - my own view is they should, get that monkey off the back of the young team in Croke Park. Go up the steps and lift the cup. The gamble is if they lose - it’s another final loss just ahead of Championship. More teams will have their Championship panels together by then. But from what I’ve seen so far, Galway, Armagh, Kerry, and maybe Derry and Dublin are the only real obstacles to Mayo winning Sam this year if they keep playing as they do. Roscommon & Donegal will have some good performances as will Tyrone, maybe Cork too. Dublin won’t have a proper top tier game until they exit Leinster. All the teams are beatable just as Mayo are on their off days - the competition is wide open and it’s a great opportunity for any of these team to step out ahead of the pack and go for it.

Men against infants here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Strength and conditioning coaches need to be praised. Your lads are built like tanks and well able to play as well.

Of course the players too must be praised for the dedication and commitment to get into such shape

Gone fairly sloppy. Rossies giving nothing away anyway.

Going to be a frantic finish. Roscommon have grown into this.

Diarmuid in the right place at the right time again.

I think we're seeing a lot of freedom going forward but a lot of naivety in not killing off games under McStay.

Carney is really staking his claim, great to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Got away with that. Poor second half display. Very sloppy, getting turned over way too easily and two terrible goals to concede. The performance was a lot less composed than the previous two games, more reminiscent of the Armagh performance tbh.

Advertisement