Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflection on the pandemic: questions about the authorities' response.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If Covid complicated their recovery and thereby contributed to their death, then it would be wrong to exclude them from an assessment of impact of covid. I suspect if we drill into these cases you seem to think should not have been counted, that will prove to be the case.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Is the fact that most fatalities occurred in cohorts of utmost vulnerability supposed to be a surprise?

It really shouldn't have been a surprise, and yet the NPHET government not only failed to see it coming but in fact even contributed to the problem. Disgraceful on their part, no wonder they and their defenders are so against any reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

You're right the secondary schools were closed. For a whole month! My point still stands they shut down very very little compared to us. No need to be uncivil.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Got too love this and a lot of us who were saying 'this is a bit of a targeting of some industries' were labeled as 'clueless' and 'negative'

Early-mid 2021 was too excessive and we hit behind 'oh we need this % vaccinated before we can open this and that' arguments. We could easily of been fully opened by the August Bank holiday weekend but it dragged on past that and took until January 2022 too fully reopen. The measures for December/January 2021/22 were useless and pointless

Mr Varadkar said: "In Ireland we counted all deaths, in all settings, suspected cases even when no lab test was done, and included people with underlying terminal illnesses who died with Covid but not of it."

• Advertisement

McConkey on Newstalk this morning Kingston Mills on RTE 1 just now. They must be getting worried about the inquiry that's being spoken about!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You just said Covid statistics. Nothing specific.

Your now changed parameter is "primary reason for hospitalization" or "primary reason for death".

So that depends what the statistic is being used for.

It not pedantic to point out a fairly massive error in your comment.

Fact remains neither Ireland or Sweden shut down "everything" like you claimed.

Based on previous inquiries what do you think is the likely outcome of this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Got too love this and a lot of us who were saying 'this is a bit of a targeting of some industries' were labeled as 'clueless' and 'negative'

You claimed they were deliberately under reporting deaths so they could massively bump the numbers at bank holidays to justify sending us back into level 5, and that was one of your more coherent conspiracies. What word would you use?

Have to say I didn't that from the comment your quoting.

I will say there a lot of ignoring the context of what was going on at the time in it. Which makes it unintelligible.

The lads who were screaming the loudest for freedom would often post rambling diatribes and conspiracy theories, and now one year after all restrictions were lifted, they still choose to spend all their time in the boards Corona forum. It's the same 4-6 lads, like a dog chasing a car, got their freedom back but seem terrified of the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I see you still have that auto alert set up for when PTH makes a post.

And you for me, the world is open, you can ask me out, I will say no but you can ask.

I'm currently in the process of waiting on my account to be deleted but thought I'd pop in and say farewell.

My work here is complete now that senior members of NPHET are confirming what I said all along. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

The problem with the Irish lockdowns was how long they went on for especially October 20 to April 21. Yes we had a break over Christmas where everything went mad. But would people have obeyed the lockdown measures over Christmas if we had had level 5 lockdown measures in place? As it was significant numbers of people started ignoring the restrictions especially as time went on.

But I'd agree not everything was shut down. Outside urban areas the 5km restrictions were completely unenforceable because a valid excuse was to go shopping. Gardai couldn't enter private homes so another bit went out the window. And you also had lots of people in essential services going all around the country(to do their jobs) but at the same interacting with people who were isolating going about necessary tasks(shopping etc). So spreading infection that way.

The restrictions while definitely necessary at times were so riddled with loop holes and unenforceable they were not a medium term strategy.

In Nephts defence they were dealing with a completely new disease and as a result had very limited information to go off especially early on. In that situation its natural to be extremely cautious.

However the idea that they were always following the science is ludicrous. It's ludicrous because cutting edge science which Covid was and to a degree still is, is completely uncertain(its why conspiracy theorists love Covid, they can give people certainty in a way science can never give). Nepht were following their interpretation of the science. Science that was always changing. That's something that was never really acknowledged. The decision to limit movement to 5km, county's, €9 meal etc where choices by NEPHT and the government.

The biggest issue with NEPHT was that there was no independent body made up of qualified people set up to hold them to account. As far as I am aware the only person with any medical expertise in government was Leo Varadkar. So it was very hard if not impossible for the government to challenge NEPHT in an educated matter because practically none of knew enough to do so.

I appreciate that's a bit of rant. But I would agree that level 5 lockdowns were necessary at times but I'd be very critical of their duration and the countrys reliance on them.

"..Science: the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation, experimentation, and the testing of theories against the evidence obtained..."

I think some people think "science" is a history of known unchanging facts. Also these thread are full of Hindsight bias

"..To look back at an event that we could not predict at the time and think the outcome was easily predictable. It is also called the 'knew-it-all-along' effect..."

It's like the person who says nothing until after the driver has missed a turn when driving.

Only comes up on my radar when it pops up on recent posts front page. The comment about subsequent waves always being weaker "scientifically" caught my interest. Why would that be the case? But predictably first 2 secs into a Google search tells us it's not true. Most of this thread is like that. It's like that shop where you always have to check your change. It's wrong that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Sweden did not have significant excess deaths compared to their peers. In fact over 2 years of pandemic they had one of the lowest overall excess deaths in Europe.

• Advertisement

In 2020 they had which is when they were most out of step with their peers in terms of restrictions and approach to covid.

And those excess deaths were in a situation where there were massive international travel restrictions and lockdowns in their neighbours.

Their approach does not scale to high population density / continent wide.

And in 2021 they were fast out of the traps in terms of vaccines.

So you're agreeing Sweden didn't have significant excess pandemic deaths compared to their peers?

They did in 2020.

Asked and answered in previous post.

Yeah, there's a lad claiming that "senior members of nphet said he was right all along".....

Ignoring the fact that he claimed for 2 years that we'd be in lockdown till we bankrupted the country.

They didn't have particularly significant excess deaths in 2020. They had one of the lowest 'with covid' death rates in Europe during pandemic years and one of the lowest excess death rates overall.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/swedens-death-rate-among-lowest-europe-despite-avoiding-strict/

Iceland was also quick out of the traps with Vaccines and yet, despite low 'with covid' death rates they are now suffering the highest excess deaths

The truth is some peoples lives were prolonged in lockdown countries due to isolation from the world but the question is was it worth it for them to have a slightly longer life but no enjoyment.

My whole opposition to 'lockdown to protect the elderly/ vulnerable' was that no-one actually asked those vulnerable if they wanted to avoid interacting with their family and grandkids in the last few months of their lives.

Well you said Europe then peers. Which is it?

Also you've used a timeline that includes The period when Sweden had a different approach and when it dropped that and had restrictions. So why by combining them it dilutes any meaning as it relates to COVID policy.

Also all the varied issues that seem to influence excess deaths, heat, quality of health system, to mention a couple, Sweden has none of those disadvantage. They are are also not directly related to COVID policy.

It's the magic soup pot of statistics.

They had significant excess deaths wrt to countries we would typically compare them to rather than say France with Paris mega city.

But my main point with Sweden is that we shouldnt assume you would get the outcomes Sweden had if rolled out in Paris or all over EU and what that would have meant to cases. I think Sweden to a large extent took a free ride on their neighbours which did lockdown.

In poll after poll here and abroad there was broad public support for covid restrictions especially in those vulnerable demographics. It is not just a few months at stake, well for some people it is but the vulnerable groups may have years or decades ahead of them. The largest age group in icu with covid in wave 1 was aged 55-64.

It was a tough situation for a crisis. Quarantine is like that.

If there is a review the UK 'bubble' idea should be looked at.

Odessy brought up the word 'peers'.

Are other European countries not their peers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

You're only allowed to compare Sweden to the other Nordic countries. When they started to do better than them suddenly only 2020 was relevant. Talk about cherry picking to prove a point

Advertisement